Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
DETOXIFICATION OF ZEARALENONE BY CHEMISORBANTS AND YEAST IN POULTRY FEED
the fungus was grown on broken wheat for three weeks for production of zearalenone toxin on
large scale. Quantification of the cultured toxin was done using High Performance Thin Layer
Chromatagraphy and found to be 573. 12 ppm. This culture was added to poultry feed to
obtain the required level of toxin (2 ppm). This zearalenone contaminated feed was then treated
with different adsorbents : yeast culture, activated charcoal, hydrated sodium calcium alumino
silicate (HSCAS) and polyvinyl poly pyrrolidone (PVPP) at different levels to study the levels of
adsorption of the toxin. The quantity of unbound zearalenone was estimated by ELISA method.
Yeast culture and activated charcoal at 0.2 % levels adsorbed toxin to a maximum extent (81.45
and 79.45 %, respectively) and proved better than HSCAS and PVPP (40.23 and 66.90%,
- AOAC (1995). Official Methods of Analysis.16 edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC.
- Bilgrami, K.S. et al. (1995). Indian Phytopath., 38: 347.
- Cast (1989). Mycotoxins: Economic and health risk. Task force Ref. No. 116, November, 1989. Council of Agriculture Science and Technology, Ameas, IA.
- Chi, M.S. (1980). Poult. Vet. Sci., 59: 531.
- Christensen, C.M. et al. (1965). Appl. Microbiol., 13: 653.
- Chung, T.K. et al. (1990). Poult. Vet. Sci., 69: 1364.
- Danicke, S. and Gareis, M. (2001). Kraftfutter, 1: 30-32.
- Eppley, R.M. (1968). J. AOAC, 51: 74.
- HUFF, N.E. et al. (1992). Poult. Vet. Sci., 71: 64-69.
- Miller, J.K. et al. (1973). Vet. Rec., 93: 555.
- Mirocha, C.J. (1982). Toxicol. Appl. Pharm., 66: 77.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.