Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
EFFECT OF VITAMIN E AND SELENIUM SUPPLEMENTATION ON REPRODUCTIVE PERFORMANCE AND BLOOD SGOT AND SGPT LEVELS IN GILTS UNDER DIFFERENT SYSTEMS OF HOUSING*
divided into 6 groups consisting of 6 animals each. Among these, 3 groups were reared under
intensive and 3 groups under semi-intensive system of management. In each system group 1 devoid of antioxidants and treated as control, group 2 supplemented with Vitamin E 22IU and group 3 both Vitamin E 22IU and selenium 0.3ppm. The average litter size at birth was significantly higher in gilts fed with both vitamin selenium (10.83±0.40 and 12.50±0.22) and Vitamin E alone
(10.17±0.40) and 11.50±0.34) than the devoid of antioxidants (7.83+0.17 and 8.33±0.21) under
intensive and semi-intensive system respectively. Similarly the litter weight at birth and at weaning
were significantly (Pxidant supplemented groups. The mortality rate remainedsignificantly (P reduction both in SGOT and SGPT activity at gestation and Lactation systems by antioxidant supplementation irrespective of the systems
- Chavez, E.R. and Patton, K.L. (1986). Can. J. Anim. Sci., 66: 1065-1074.
- Groce, A.W. et al. (1971). J. Anim. Sci, 32: 905-911.
- Kim, Y.Y. and Mahan, D.C. (2001). J. Anim. Sci, 79: 956-966.
- Mahan, D.C. (1994). J. Anim. Sci, 72: 2870-2879.
- Mavromatis, J. et al. (1999). J. Vet. Med. Series A, 46: 545-553.
- Mutetikka, D.B. and Mahan, D.C. (1993). J. Anim. Sci.,71: 3211-3218.
- Orstadius, K. et al. (1959). Zentrablatt fur veterinarmedizin, 6: 71.
- Rafai, P. and Jakab, L. (2000). Anim. Breed. Abstr., 68: 392.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1996). Statistical Methods. Iowa State University Press, Ames, USA.
- Tensingh Gnanaraj, P. (2001). Ph.D. Thesis, Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.