EFFECT OF ILIREN AND NORGESTOMET ON SYNCHRONIZATION OF OESTRUS IN COWS*
Citation :- EFFECT OF ILIREN AND NORGESTOMET ON SYNCHRONIZATION OF OESTRUS IN COWS*.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2009.(43):293-294
Fifteen healthy cyclic indigenous cows of Assam at first and/or second lactation were randomly
divided into three groups viz. I, II and III, each comprising of five cows. Group I cows were kept
as untreated control. The cows under group II and III were treated with “Iliren” (a PGF2 analogue)
and “Crestar” (3 mg Norgestomet, 5 mg Estradiol valerate) respectively. All experimental animals
of group II exhibited oestrus between 96 and 108 hrs with a mean of 99.00 ± 3.00 hrs following
treatment while 4 cows under group III, responded to treatment. Mean interval between withdrawal
of Crestar ear implant and exhibition of oestrus was 29.80 ± 0.91 hrs with a range from 24 to 48
hrs. The physical symptoms of oestrus were similar in hormonally treated and control animals.
Duration of oestrus was found to be significantly higher (p<0.01) in “Iliren” treated (26.50 ±
1.89 hrs) and “Crestar” implanted cows (36.00 ± 3.89 hrs) than that of the control cows (18.20
± 2.13 hrs).
- Agarwal, S.K., et al. (1987). Indian J. Anim. Sci. 57:292-293.
- Hafez, E.S.E. (1987). Reproduction in Farm Animals. 5th edn. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia.
- Kastelie, J.P. et al. (1999). Canadian Vet. J. 40:173-178.
- Kastov, L. et al. (1986). Veterinarnomeditsinski Nauki 23:54-59.
- Krishnakumar, K. and Subramanium, A. (1999) Indian J. Anim. Reprod. 20:86-87
- Logue, D.N. et al (1991). Vet. Record, 129:171-173
- Rao,A.R. and Rao,S.V. (1979). Vet. Record, 105:256.
- Reddy, S.M. et al. (2001). Indian J. Anim. Reprod. 22:14-16.
- Sarmah, B.K. (2001). Ph.D.(Vety) Thesis, Assam Agricultural university Khanapara, Guwahati, India.
- Singh,Madhumeet et al. (2001). Indian J. Anim. Reprod 78:961-962.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1967). Statistical Methods. 6th edn., Oxford and IBH Publishing Company, Calcutta.
- Tregaskes, L.D. et al. (1994)Vet. Rec. 134:92-94.