INDUCTION OF INTESTINAL IMMUNE RESPONSE TO LENTOGENIC VACCINE STRAIN OF NEWCASTLE DISEASE VIRUS IN CHICKEN
Citation :- INDUCTION OF INTESTINAL IMMUNE RESPONSE TO LENTOGENIC VACCINE STRAIN OF NEWCASTLE DISEASE VIRUS IN CHICKEN.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2009.(43):263-26
Mucosal surface provide portal entry for a majority of infectious agents. Hence, protection at
the mucosal surface through immunization plays an important role in containing its systemic
spread. Mucosal vaccination of chicken at early stages of life with live attenuated strain of
Newcastle disease virus (NDV) induces both cellular and humoral immune responses against the
Newcastle disease. In order to characterize the mucosal immune response elicited by live virus
in chicken, the presence of specific antibodies in intestinal secretions of immunized birds was
evaluated. The proliferative response of Intraepithelial Lymphocytes (IELs) and cytotoxicity of
IELs against xenogenic targets were also evaluated. The IEL proliferation and cytotoxicity remained
un-influenced by the vaccination of chicks with live F strain of NDV. Intranasal and oculonasal
route of vaccination induced virus specific IgG and IgA in the intestinal secretions, however, at
7 weeks post vaccination the IgG levels were greatly reduced and IgA levels were undetectable.
Intestial immune response
- Agarwal, P.K. and Reynolds, D.L. (1999) Avian Dis. 172:181.
- Al-Garib, S.O., et al. (2003) Avian Disease. 47:32-40.
- Allan, W.H. et al. (1978) F.A.O, Animal Prod. Ser. No. 10, F.A.O, Rome.
- Cooper, M.D. et al. (1991) Adv. Immunol. 50:87-117.
- Ebert, E.C.(1989) Gastroenterology 97:1372-1381.
- Govindarajan, R. et al. (1997) Int. J. Anim. Sci. 12:265-268.
- Holmes, H.C. (1979) J. Comp. Pathol. 89:11-19.
- Jayawardane, G.W.L. and Spradbrow, P.B. (1995) Vet. Microbiol. 46:69-77.
- Kono, R. et al. (1969) Jap. J. Med. Biol. 22:235-252.
- Kumar, A. P. et al. (1998) Acta. Vet. Hung. 46:1-11.
- Lee, J.S. and Hanson, R.P. (1975) Infect. Immun. 11:692-697.
- Myers, T.J. et al. (1989) Avian Dis. 35:585-590.
- Perozo, F. et al. (2008) Avian Pathol. 37:237-245.
- Reynolds, D.L. and Maraqa, A.D.(2000) Avian Dis. 44:138-144.
- Sharma, J.M. and Okazaki, A.W. (1981) Inf. Immun 31:1078-1085.
- Sowder, J.T. et al. (1988) J. Exp. Med. 167:315-322.
- Sydora, B.C et al. (1993) J. Immunol. 150:2179-2191.
- Takada, A. and Kida, H. (1996) Vet. Microbiol. 50:17-25.
- Trichieri, G. (1989) Adv. Immunol. 47:187-376.
- Zoth, C.S., et al (2008) Braz J Med Biol Res 41:318-323