STUDIES ON DEVELOPMENT OF TENDERIZED CHICKEN GIZZARD AND GOAT HEART PICKLES
Citation :- STUDIES ON DEVELOPMENT OF TENDERIZED CHICKEN GIZZARD AND GOAT HEART PICKLES.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2009.(43):255-258
A study was conducted to develop vinegar based sweet and sour pickles, separately of
tenderized chicken gizzard and goat heart. Ginger (Zingiber officinale roscoe) + kachri (Cucumis
trigonus Roxb.), (75:25) paste was utilized for preparation of pickles. Chicken gizzard and goat
heart marinated with 10 % (wt. /wt.) paste of natural tenderizers at 4±2 0C for 48 hours. Freshly
processed and stored (27±2 0C) pickles were evaluated for their chemical and physico-chemical
properties. Pickles had 46 to 55% moisture content. The chicken gizzard pickle had significantly
higher protein (25.60 to 24.85%) and low fat (16.71 to 16.85%) content as compared to goat
heart (21.12 to 20.30 and 28.93 to 28.69%, respectively) pickles. Cooking yield of pickles with
gravy ranged between 114.98 and 115.65% indicating significantly (P<0.05) higher values for
treated as compare to control (110.60 to 111.50%) organ pickles. Use of acetic acid and natural
tenderizer treatments substantially brought down the pH of pickles. Comparatively high initial
TBA values were observed in goat heart pickles which further increased in both the byproduct
pickles during storage. Ginger + kachri (75:25) treatment prevented the increase in TBA values
throughout the storage period up to 60 days
- AOAC. (1995). Official Methods of Analysis, 16th edition, Association of Official Analytical Chemists,Washington, D.C.
- Buckley, J.D. et al. (1995). J. Animal Sci., 73:3122-3130.
- Chen, T.C. and Stinson, R.S. (1983). Poult. Sci., 62:2011-2016.
- Greenberg, D.M. and Winnick, T. (1940). J. Biological Chem., 135:761.
- Hujjatullah, S. and Baloch, A.K. (1970). J. Food Sci., 35:276-278.
- Naveena, B.M. et al. (2004). Meat Science, 68:363-369.
- Maiti, A.K. (2006). M.V.Sc. Thesis, CCS HAU, Hisar.
- Reema, R. et al. (2005). J. Food Sci. and Technol., 42:289-292.
- 258 INDIAN JOURNAL OF ANIMAL RESEARCH Shukla, P.K. and Srivastava, R.K. (1999). Indian J. Poult. Sci., 34:285-288.
- Singh, R.P. and Panda, B. (1984). Livestock Adviser, 9:45.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1980). Statistical Methods. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., Calcutta.
- Trout, E.S. et al. (1992). J. Food Sci., 57:19.
- Witte, V.C. et al. (1970). J. Food Sci., 35:582-585.