Effects of bitter cola (Garcinia cola) extract on steroid hormones and selected electrolytes in West African Dwarf bucks
Citation :- Effects of bitter cola (Garcinia cola) extract on steroid hormones and selected electrolytes in West African Dwarf bucks.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2013.(47):273-282
Twelve mature West African Dwarf bucks were allotted to four treatment groups of three animals per group to determine various doses of Garcinia cola seed extract (GCSE) on testosterone, cortisol, potassium (K+), sodium (Na+) and calcium (Ca2+) in WAD bucks. Treatment A (0 mg GCSE) received saline solution; Treatment B (50 mg GCSE); Treatment C (100 mg GCSE) and Treatment D (150 mg GCSE). The animals were observed for 20 minutes after GCSE injection for behavioural response. Jugular blood samples were collected from the WAD bucks at 10 min intervals for 3 hours before and after GCSE injection. Plasma testosterone and cortisol concentrations were determined by radioimmunoassay method. Serum electrolytes were determined by atomic absorption spectrophotometry. Injection of GCSE had no effect on mean plasma testosterone concentration while cortisol significantly increased (P
- Adaramoye O A and Akinloye O. (2000). Possible protective effect of kolaviron on CCL-induced erythrocyte damage in kola (Garcinia kola). Inclusion on body weight, haematology and survival rate of pullets chicks. J. Anim. and Vet. Adv. 5: 184– 187.
- Adaramoye O A, Nwaneri V O, Anyanwu K C, Farombi E O and Emerole G O. (2005). Possible anti-atherogenic effect of kolaviron (a Garcinia kola seed extract) in hypercholesterolaemic rats. Clinical and Exp. Pharma. and Physiol. 32: 40-46.
- Adedeji O S, Farimu G O, Amen S A and Olayemi J B. (2006). Effects of bitter kola (Garcinia kola) as growth promoter in broiler chicks from day old to four weeks old. J. Anim. and Vet. Adv. 5: 191 – 193.
- Adegoke G O, Kumar M V, Sambaiah K and Lokesh B R. (1998). Inhibitory effect of Garcinia kola on the lipid peroxidation in rat liver homogenate. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 36: 907–910.
- Adesanya O A, Oluyemi K A, Olusori D A, Omotuyi I O, Okwuonu C U, Ukwenya O V and Adesanya A A. (2007). Micromorphometric and stereological effects of ethanolic extracts of Garcinia cambogia seeds on the testes and epididymides of adult Wistar Rats. J. Alternative Med. 5: 1-9.
- Agada P O and Braide V B. (2009). Effect of dietary Garcinia kola seed on selected serum electrolytes and trace metals in male albino rats. J. Physiol. Sci. 24: 53-57.
- Agyili J, Sacande M and Kouame C. (2006). Garcinia kola Heckel. Seed Leaflet, No. 113.
- Akpantah A O, Oremosu A A, Ajala M O and Okanlawon A O. (2003). The effect of crude extract of Garcinia kola seed on the histology and hormonal milieu of male Spragne – Dawley rats, reproductive organs. Nigerian J. Health and Biomedical Sci. 2: 6.
- Amujoyegbe B J, Bamire A S and Elemo K O. (2008). Agroeconomic Analysis of Fertilizer effects on Maize/Cowpea intercrop in Ile-Ife and Abeokuta, southwestern Nigeria. Asset J. Series A 8: 62-72.
- Ayensu E S. (1978). Medicinal plants of West Africa. Reference Publication Inc., Algonac, MI, 162.
- Beaven C M, Hopkins W G, Hasen K T, Wood M R, Cronin J B and Lowe T E. (2008). Dose effect of caffeine on testosterone and cortisol response to resistance exercise. Int. J. Sport Nutr. and Exercise Metabo. 18: 131-141.
- Braide V B. (1989). Antispasmodic extracts from seeds of Garcinia kola. Fitoterapia LX: 123- 129.
- Braide V, Agabe C A, Essien G E and Udoh F V. (2003). Effect of Garcinia kola seed alkaloid extracts on levels of gonadal hormone and pituitary gonadotrophins in rat serum. Nigerian J. Physiol. Sci. 18: 59-64.
- Chen S X, Min W and Boon-Nee L. (1996). Active constituents against HIV- 1 protease from Garcinia mangostana. Planta Medica, 62: 381-382.
- Farombi E O, Moller P and Dragsted L O. (2004). Ex vivo and in vivo protective effects of kolaviron against oxygen derived radical-induced DNA damage and oxidative stress in human lymphocytes and rat liver cells. Cell Biol. and Toxicol. 20: 71–82.
- Farombi E O and Nwaokeafor I A. (2005). Anti-oxidant mechanisms of action of kolaviron: studies on serum lipoprotein oxidation, metal chelation and oxidative microsomal membrane damage in rats. Clinical and Exp. Pharmacol. and Physiol. 32: 667–674.
- Gazal O S, Leshin L S, Stanko R L, Thomas M G, Keisler D H, Anderson L L and Williams G L. (1998). Gonadotropin- releasing hormone secretion into third-ventricle cerebrospinal fluid of cattle: correspondence with the tonic and surge release of luteinizing hormone and its tonic inhibition by suckling and neuropeptide Y. Biol. Reprod. 59:676–683.
- Ho C K, Huang Y L and Chen C C. (2002). Garcinone E, a Xanthone derivative, has potent cytotoxic effects against Hepatocellular carcinoma cell lines. Planta Medica 68: 975-979.
- Hutchinson J and Dalziel J M. (1954). Flora of West Tropical Africa, ed 2 revised. London, HmSO Publishers.
- Ibekwe H A, Essien A D, Essien A and Akpet S O. 2009. Effects of Garcinia kola seed powder on serum level of FSH, LH and testosterone of male Albino rats exposed to exogenous hormones administration. Continental J. Anim. and Vet. Res. 1: 12–17.
- Ibekwe H A, Braide V B and Udoh F V. (2007). Effects of crude flavonoid extract of Garcinia kola seeds on serum gonadotrophins and testosterone levels of male albino rats. J. Agri. Res. 4: 93-87.
- Iwu M W and Igboko M O. (1982). Flavonoid of Garcinia kola seeds. J. Natural Prod. 45: 650- 651.
- Iwu M W, Igboko O A, Okunji C O and Tempesta M S. 1990. Antidiabetic and aldose reductase activities of biflavones of Garcinia kola. J. Pharm. and Pharmacol. 42: 290 –292.
- Iwu M W. (1993). Handbook of African Medicinal Plant. CRC Press. Boca Raton. Ann Arbor London. 183–184.
- Iwu M W, Duncan A R and Okunji C O. (1999). New antimicrobials of plant origin: perspectives on new crops and new uses. Jules Janick (ed.): ASHS Press, Alexandria, VA. 457- 462.
- Iwu M W. (2003). Handbook of African medicinal plants. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Koshy A S and Vijayalakshmi N R. (2001). Impact of certain flavonoids on lipid profiles- potential action of Garcinia cambogia flavonoids. Phytotherapy Res. 15: 395-400.
- Larzul, C., Foury, A., Terenina, E., Billon, Y. and Mormede, P. (2010). Genetic parameters for ACTH response in pigs. In: 9th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production (ed. 507 German Society of Animal Science) com 0169. Leipzig, Germany, August 1-6, 2010
- Mackeen M M, Ali A M, Lajis N H, Kawazu K., Kikuzaki H and Nakatani N. (2002). Antifungal Garcinia acid esters from the fruits of Garcinia atroviridis. Z. Naturforsch. 57(34): 291-295.
- Mahendran P, Vanisree A J and Devi C S S. (2000). The antiulcer activity of Garcinia cambogia extract against indomethacin- induced gastric ulcer in rats. Phytotherapy Res. 16(1): 80-83.
- Nakatani K, Atsumi M, Arakawa T, Oosawa K, Shimura S, Nakahata N and Ohizumi Y. (2002). Inhibitions of histamine release and prostaglandin E2 synthesis by mangosteen, a Thai medicinal plant. Biol. and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 25: 1137-1141.
- NRC, National Research Council., Recommended Dietary Allowances (1989). 10th Edition. National Academy Press. Washington D.C. USA.
- Nwankwo J O, Tanhnteng J G and Emerole G O. (2000). Inhibition of aflatoxin B1 genotoxicity in human liver-derived HepG2 cells by kolaviron biflavonoids and molecular mechanisms of action. European J. Cancer Prevention, 9: 351–361.
- Odebunmi E O, Oluwaniyi O O, Awolola G V and Adediji O D. (2009). Proximate and nutritional composition of kola nut (Cola nitida), bitter cola (Garcinia cola) and alligator pepper (Afromomum melegueta). African J. Biotech, 8(2): 308-310.
- Okojie A K, Ebomoyi M I, Ekhator C N, Emeri C O, Okosun J, Onyesu G, Uhuonrenren O and Atima J. (2009). Review of physiological mechanisms underlying the use of Garcinia kola in the treatment of asthma. Internet J. Pulmonary Med. 11:1.
- Okwu D E. (2005). Phytochemicals, vitamins and mineral contents of two Nigerian medicinal plants. International J. Mole. Med. and Adv. Sci. 1 (4): 375–381.
- Olatunde F E, Hasen, M, Rain-Haren P and Dragsted L O. (2004). Commonly consumed and naturally occurring dietary substances affect bio makers of oxidative stress and DNA-damage in healthy rats. Food and Chem. Toxicol. 42: 1315-1322.
- Oluyemi K A, Jimoh O R, Adesanya O A, Omotuyi I O, Josiah S J and Oyesola T O. (2007). Effects of crude ethanolic extract of Garcinia cambogia on the reproductive system of male wistar rats (Rattus novergicus). African J. Biotech. 6 (10): 1236-1238.
- Orie N N and Okon E U. (1993). The brochodilatory effect of Garcinia kola seeds. East African Med. J. 70(3): 143 – 145.
- Pan M H, Chang W L, Lin-Shiau S Y, Ho C T and Lin J K. (2001). Induction of apoptosis by garcinol and curcumin through cytochrome C release and activation of caspases in human leukemia HL-60 cells. J. Agric. and Food Chem. 49: 1464–1474.
- Pietta P G. (2000). Flavonoids as antioxidants. J. Natural Products 63: 1035–1042.
- SAS Institute (1999). SAS User’s Guide; Statistics. Version 6.03 edition. Statistical Analysis System Institute, Inc. Cary, North Carolina, USA.
- Tona L, Ngimbi N P, Tsakala M, Mesiak K, Cimanga K, Apers S, DeBruyne T, Pieters L, Totte J and Vlientinck A J. (1999). Antimalarial activity of 20 crude extracts from nine African medicinal plants used in Kinshasha, Congo. J. Ethnopharmacology 68(1-3): 193-203.
- Tripathi K D. (2001). Essentials of medical pharmacology. New Delhi. Japee Brothers Medical Publishers Limited.
- Udia P M. (1998). Effects of Garcinia kola extracts on selected smooth muscle preparations of guinea pigs and albino rats. M.Sc. Thesis, University of Calabar, Calabar. Nigeria.
- Udia P M, Braide V B and Owu D U. (2009). Antispasmodic and spasmolytic effects of methanolic extract from seeds of Garcinia kola on isolated rat small intestine. Nigerian J. Physiol. Sci. 24 (2): 111 -116.
- Udoh F V. (1998). Effects of extract of Garcinia kola and Piper guinenese leaves on morphology of reproductive organs of the male rats. Phytotherapy Res. 13: 266-228.
- Unigwe C R and Nwakpu P E. (2009). Effect of ingestion of Garcinia kola seed on erythrocytes in rabbits. Continental J. Vet. Sci. 3: 7 – 10.