Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
ARTEMIA MEAL: A NEWER ANIMAL PROTEIN SOURCE FOR POULTRY
regions in the World. In Iran there are 12 regions of artemia habitats. Artemia in different stages of
living normally exists for newly hatched shrimps, sturgeons, trouts , aquarium fishes as well as some
crustaceans .However, artemia biomass is suitable protein for other animals such as poultry. Results
indicated that artemia meal could be used as feedstuff in poultry and other farm animal diets, because
of its high level of protein and high protein digestibility. Protein or amino acids content and
metabolizable energy varies among different kinds of artemia present in various locations. This
charactristics depends on, region, species, time of harvest, percentage of artemia mixture, because
artemia of different ages showed different compositions.
- Abatzopoulos,TH.J., Beardmore J.A., Clegg J.S.and Sorgeloos P., (2002). Artemia:Basic and Applied Biology.Kluwer
- Academic Publishers.
- Aghakhanian,P., Zarei A., Lotfollahian H. and Eila N., (2009). Apparent and true amino acid digestibility of artemia
- meal in broiler chicks.South African Journal of Animal Science.39(1).
- Bowen,S.T. (1964): The genetics of Artemia salina.IV.Hybridization of wild population with mutant
- stocks.Biol.Bull.,126 : 333.
- Gilbert,V.S. (1995). Introduction, Biology and Ecology of Artemia.Laboratory of Aquaculture and Artemia Reference
- Center University of Gent,Belgium.
- Johnson,M.L.and Parsons C.M., Fahey G.C.,Jr, Merchen N.R., Aldrich C.G., (1998). Effects of species raw material
- source ,ash content, and processing temperature on amino acid digestibility of animal by product meals by
- cecectomized roosters and ileally cannulated dogs.Journal of Animal Science.76:1112-1122.
- Klasing,K.C. (1998).Comparative Avian Nutrition.CAB International, England
- Leeson.S., Summers J.D., (2001).Nutrition of the Cicken.4 th edition.University books.
- Parsons,C.M.(1999).Protein quality and amino acid digestibility.Multi-state. Poultry Meeting,May 25-27.
- Shirley,R.B.and Parsons C.M., (2000).Effect of pressure processing on amino acid digestibility of meat and bone meal
- for poultry.Poultry Science.79:1775-1581.
- 240 INDIAN JOURNAL OF ANIMAL RESEARCH
- Sibbald,I.R., (1976). The true metabolizable energy values of several feedingstuffs measured with roosters, laying hens,
- turkeys and broiler hens. Poultry Science. 55:1459 -1463.
- Sorgeloos,P. (1989). Two strains of Artemia in urmia lake (Iran),Artemia Newsl.,13 : 5,.
- Zarei,A.(2006). Use of Artemia Meal as a Protein Supplement in Broiler Diet. International Journal of Poultry
- Science .5(2) : 142-148.
- Zarei,A. (2006). Apparent and True Metabolizable Energy of Artemia Meal. International Journal of Poultry
- Science .5(7):627-628.
- Zarei,A. (2007). Determination of protein digestibility of animal protein feeds under condition of in vitro and in vivo ,
- BSAS Annual Conference , 2-4 April 2007, Southport , England (oral presentation)
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.