Distinctness of candidate varieties of sugarcane using DUS descriptors
Citation :- Distinctness of candidate varieties of sugarcaneusing DUS descriptors .Bhartiya Krishi Anusandhan Patrika.2018.(33):94-98
Morphological Characterization for four candidate varieties i.e. Co 0238, Co 0118, Co 0237 and Co 05011 was done using National Test Guideline for DUS testing on sugarcane. Observations on 27 DUS descriptors were recorded as per the guideline developed by task force constituted by PPV & FR Authority. During the year 2012-13 and 2013-14 candidate variety Co 0238 and Co 0118 were tested along with the nine reference varieties. It was found that both the varieties were distinct, uniform and stable with respect to the reference collection. Similarly, candidate varieties Co 05011 and Co 0237 were also tested along with eight reference varieties and found distinct, uniform and the population of these varieties were also stable. Therefore, DUS testing of these varieties qualify the criteria for registration into new varieties under PPV & FR Act.
morphological characteristics and sugarcane DUS descriptors.
- Amalraj V.A, Premchandran M.N, Ram B, Karuppiayan R, Sumitra R, Viola R &Remadevi D.K. (2011). DUS Characteristic of reference varieties in sugarcane. ICAR-Sugarcane Breeding Institute, Coimbatore-07.
- Anonymous, (2001) . Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers Right Act (No. 53 of 2001). Dept. of Agriculture and Cooperation. Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. Of India, krishiBhawan, New Delhi.
- Barber, C.A. (1919). Studies in Indian sugarcane. No. 4. Tillering or underground branching. Mem. Deptt. Agric. India. Bot. Sec. 10: 39-153.
- B. Kalyan , K.V. Radha Krishna and L.V. Subba Rao (2014). DUS Characterization for Germplasm of Rice. Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci 6(10): 3480-3487.
- Chandran, K. (2011). Characterization of exotic commercial hybrid clones of sugarcane. Ind. J. Plt. Genet. Res. 24(3): 271-276.
- Cowgill, H.B. (1917). A method of identification and description of sugarcane cultivars and its application to types grown in Portu Rice. J. Depdt.Agric. Porto Rico. 1: No. 3.
- Cuenya, M.I., and Maiott, J.A. (1984). Selection for erectness in sugarcane hybrid progenies. Sugarcane. 3: 1-15.
- Grassl, C.O. (1956). The morphology of the grass spikelet with special reference to Saccarum. In: Proc. Int. Sugarcane Tech. 9: 764-780
- Siraree, D.K. Pandey, J. Singh, P.K. Singh, R. Kewal Singh, S. Kumar. Characterization of sub-tropical sugarcane varieties based on distinctiveness, uniformity and stability testing guidelines of India. International Sugar Journal, 1 Jun 2012.
- Sankaranarayanan, P., Natarajan, B.V., and Marimuthummal, S. (1986). Sugarcane varieties under cultivation in India. Their morphological descriptions and agricultural characteristics. ICAR, New Delhi. Pp. 3-53
- Singh, R.K., Sharma, R.K., Singh, A.K., Singh, V.P., Singh, N.K., Tiwari, S.P., and Mohapatra, T. (2004). Suitability of mapped sequence tagged microsatellite site markers for establishing distinctness, uniformity and stability in aromatic rice. Euphytica. 135: 135-143.