Chief EditorYashpal Singh Malik
Print ISSN 0303-3821
Online ISSN 0976-4631
NAAS Rating 3.07
Agricultural Diversification and its Impact on Income and Employment of the Farmers: A Review
First Online 20-09-2022|
- Abdullah, R.R, Ahamad, R., Ali, S., Ali, A., Ahmad, W., Ilyas, A. and Din, I.U. (2019). Determinants of commercialization and its impact on the welfare of smallholder rice farmers by using Heckman’s two-stage approach. Journal of the Saudi Society of Agricultural Sciences. 18(2): 224-233.
- Adjimoti, G.O., Kwadzo, G.T.M., Sarpong, D.B. and Onumah, E.E. (2017). Input policies and crop diversification: Evidence from the collines region in benin. African Development Review. 29(3): 512-523.
- Anosike, N. and Coughenour, M.C. (1990). The socio-economic basis of farm enterprise diversification decisions. Journal Rural Sociology. 55: 1-24.
- Ashfaq, M., Hassan, S., Naseer, Z.M., Baig, A. and Asma, J. (2008). Factors affecting farm diversification in rice- wheat. Pakistan Journal of Agriculture Science. 45(3): 45-47.
- Bala, B. and Sharma, S.D. (2005). Effect on income and employment of diversification and commercialization of agriculture in Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh. Agricultural Economics Research Review. 18: 261-269.
- Barghouti, S. (2004). Agricultural Diversification for the Poor: Guidelines for Practitioners. Agriculture and Rural Development Discussion Paper, The World Bank, Washington, D.C.
- Birthal, P.S. and Joshi, P.K. (2006). Diversification towards high value agriculture: Role of urbanization and infrastructure. Economic and Political Weekly. 41: 747-753.
- Birthal, P.S., Jha, A.K., Joshi, P.K. and Singh, D.K. (2006). Agricultural diversification in North Eastern Region of India: Implications for growth and equity. Indian Journal of Agriculture Economics. 61(3): 328-329.
- Birthal, P.S., Joshi, P.K., Roy, D. and Thorat, A. (2013). Diversification of Indian agriculture toward high-value crops: The role of smallholders. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 61: 61-91.
- Birthal, P.S., Joshi, P.K., Roy, D. and Thorat, A. (2007). Diversification of Indian Agriculture towards High-value Crops: The Role of Small Holders. Discussion paper no. 00727. International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Census, (2011). Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Govt. of India.
- Chand, R. (1999). Agricultural Diversification in India: Potential and Prospects in Developed Region. Mittal Publications, New Delhi.195 p.
- Chand, R. (1996). Diversification through high value crops in Western Himalayan region- Evidence from Himachal Pradesh. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 51(4): 652-663.
- Davis, A.S., Hill, J.D., Chase, C.A., Johanns, A.M. and Liebman, M. (2012). Increasing cropping system diversity balances productivity, profitability and environmental health. PLOS ONE 7(10): e47149. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0047149.
- Devi, N. and Prasher, R.S. (2018). Agricultural diversification in Himachal Pradesh: An economic analysis. Indian Journal of Economics and Development 6(12): 1-6.
- Devi, N. and Prasher, R.S. (2018). Trends in growth of agriculture in Himachal Pradesh. Journal of Hill Agriculture. 9(2): 209-216.
- Devi, N., Raina, K.K. and Sharma, R. (2020). Constraints faced by the farmers of Himachal Pradesh in production of different crops. Bulletin of Environment, Pharmacology and Life Sciences. 9(4): 13-18.
- Dube, L. and Guveya, E. (2016). Factors influencing smallholder crop diversification: A case study of Manicaland and Masvingo Provinces in Zimbabwe. International Journal of Regional Development. 3(2): 1-25.
- FAO. (2011). The State of Food and Agriculture. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.
- Gunasena, H.P.M. (2001). Intensification of Crop Diversification in the Asia-Pacific Region. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Gupta, R.P. and Tewari, S.K. (1985). Factors affecting crop diversification: An empirical analysis. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economic. 39(24): 12-18.
- Haque, T. (1996). Diversification of Small Farms in India: Problems and Prospects, In: Small Farm Diversification: Problems and Prospects, (Ed:) T. Haque]. National Centre for Agricultural Economics and Policy Research. New Delhi:
- Hayami, Y. and Otsuka, K. (1995). Beyond the Green Revolution: Agricultural Development Strategy Into The New Century, In: Agricultural Technology: Policy Issues for the International Community, [(Ed:) Jock R. Anderson]. CAB International, World Bank, Wallingford, Oxon, UK.
- Huang, J., Wu, Y. and Rozelle, S. (2009). Moving off the farm and intensifying agricultural production in Shandong: A case study of rural labor market linkages in China. Agricultural Economics. 40(2): 203-218.
- Immink, M. and Alarcon, J. (1991). Household food security, nutrition and crop diversification among smallholder farmers in the highlands of Guatemala. Ecology of Food and Nutrition. 25(4): 287-305.
- Jha, B., Kumar, N. and Mohanty, B. (2009). Pattern of agricultural diversification in India. Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi, 1-5. Working Paper Series No. E/302/2009.
- Jha, B., Tripathi, A. and Mohanty, B. (2009). Drivers of Agricultural Diversification in India, Haryana and the Greenbelt Farms of India. Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi.
- Joshi, P.K., Gulati, A., Birthal, P.S. and Tewari, L. (2004). Agriculture diversification in South Asia: patterns determinants and implications. Economics and Political Weekly. 39: 2457-2467.
- Joshi, P.K., Joshi, L. and Birthal, P.S. (2006). Diversification and its impact on smallholders: Evidence from a study on vegetables. Agricultural Economics Research Review. 19(2): 219-236.
- Kanyua, M.J., Ithinji, G.K., Muluvi, A.S., Gido, O.E. and Waluse, S.K. (2013). Factors influencing diversification and intensification of horticultural production by smallholder tea farmers in Gatanga district, Kenya. Current Research Journal of Social Sciences. 5(4): 103-111.
- Kiru, S., Lawrence, M., Gelson, T. and Davies, N. (2014). The determinants and extent of crop diversification among smallholder farmers: A case study of southern province Zambia. Journal of Agriculture Science. 6(11): 150-159.
- Kumar, A., Kumar, P. and Sharma, A.N. (2012). Crop diversification in Eastern India: Status and determinants. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 67: 600-616.
- Kumar, S. and Gupta, S. (2015). Crop Diversification in India: Emerging trends determinants and policy implications. International Journal of Current Research. 7(6): 17188-17195.
- Makate, C., Wang, R., Makate, M. and Mango, M. (2016). Crop diversification and livelihoods of smallholder farmers in Zimbabwe: adaptive management for environmental change. Springer Plus. 5: 1135.
- Mango, M., Makate, C., Mapemba, L. and Sopo, M. (2018). The role of crop diversification in improving household food security in central Malawi. Agriculture and Food Security. 7(1): 7.
- Mehta, P.K. (2009). Role of crop diversification in output growth in India: A state level analysis. The IUP Journal of Agricultural Economics. 6(2): 24-42.
- Mithiya, D., Mandal, K. and Dutta, L. (2018). Trend pattern and determinants of crop diversification of small holders in West Bengal: A district-wise panel data analysis. Journal of Development and Agricultural Economics. 10(4): 110-119.
- Mithiya, D., Mandal, K. and Simanti, B. (2018). Diversification towards horticulture as a source of income and employment: A case study of West Bengal. International Journal of Current Research. 10(07): 71996-72004.
- Mittal, S. and Hariharan, V.K. (2016). Crop diversification by agro- climatic zones of India- trends and drivers. Indian Journal of Economics and Development. 12: 123-131.
- Mugendi, E. (2013). Crop diversification: A potential strategy to mitigate food insecurity by smallholders in sub-Saharan Africa Institute of Life Sciences, Sant’ Anna School of Advanced Studies and Kenyatta University. Journal of Agriculture. Food Systems and Comminity Development. 3(4): 63-69.
- Muhammad, A., Hassan, S., Zeeshan, N.M., Ahmad, B.I. and Asma, J. (2008). Factors affecting farm diversification in rice- wheat. Pakistan Journal of Agriculture Science. 45(3): 321-324.
- Mukherjee, A. (2015). Evaluation of the Policy of Crop Diversification as a Strategy for Reduction of Rural Poverty in India. In: Poverty Reduction Policies and Practices in Developing Asia. Economic Studies in Inequality, Social Exclusion and Well-Being [(Eds): Heshmati A, Maasoumi, E, Wan G.] Asian Development Bank.
- Mukherjee, S. (2012). Crop Diversification and Risk: An Empirical Analysis on Indian States. Centre for Development Studies, India.
- Mulwa, C., Marenya, P., Bahadur, D. and Kassie, M. (2017). Climate risk management response to climate risks among smallholder farmers in Malawi: A multivariate probit assessment of the role of information, household demographics and farm characteristics. Climate Risk Management. 16: 208-221.
- Nagaraja, B. (1988). Effect of crop mixtures on income and employment: A case study of Anantapur district. Agricultural Situation in India. 43: 957-963.
- Oberai, R.C. and Raina, K.K. (1991). Growth and diversification of foodgrains in Himachal Pradesh. Economic Affairs. 36: 155-160.
- Perz, S. (2004). Are agricultural production and forest conservation compatible?: Agricultural diversity agricultural incomes and primary forest cover among small farm colonists in the Amazon. World Development. 32(6): 957-977.
- Pingali, P. (2004). Agricultural Diversification: Opportunities and Constraints. FAO, Rice Conference, Rome, Italy, 12-13 February 2004.
- Pope, D.R. and Prescott, R. (1980). Diversification in relation to farm size and other socioeconomic characteristics. American Journal of Agricultural Economic. 62(3): 554-559.
- Prasad, V., Yadav, R.N. and Sengar, S.D.S. (1996). Horticulture: A focus area for diversification of agriculture in the context of new economic policy. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 51(4): 689.
- Rao, P.P., Birthal, P.S. and Joshi, P.K. (2006). Diversification towards high value agriculture: Role of urbanisation and infrastructure. Economic and Political Weekly. 41: 2543-2550.
- Rehima, M., Belay, K., Dawit, A. and Rashid, S. (2013). Factors affecting farmers’ crop diversification: Evidence from SNNPR, Ethiopia. International Journal of Agriculture Science. 3(6): 558-565.
- Ryan, J.G. and Spencer, C.D. (2001). Future challenges and opportunities for agricultural R and D in the Semi-Arid Tropics. International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics, Patancheru andhra Pradesh. 83 pp.
- Saini, A.S., Sharma, K.D. and Singh, B.K. (1998). Diversification for enhancing income and employment on small farms in Himachal Pradesh. Himachal Journal of Agricultural Research. 24: 93-103.
- Schroth, G. and Ruf, F. (2013). Farmer strategies for tree crop diversification in the humid tropics- A review. Agronomy for Sustainable Development. 34: 139-154.
- Singh, D., Pandey, V.K. and Tripathi, R.S. (2001). Changing scenario of rural employment in diversified Haryana agriculture. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 56(1): 560-561.
- Singh, R.B., Saxena, A., Yadav, S.R. and Chauhan, Y.S. (2001). Diversification of Agriculture in District Farrukabad, Uttar Pradesh: An economic analysis. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 56(3): 557-558.
- Summer, D.A. and Wolf, C.A. (2002). Diversification vertical integration and the regional pattern of dairy farm size. Review of Agricultural Economics. 24(2): 442-457.
- Thapa, G., Kumar, A., Roy, D. and Joshi, P.K. (2018). Impact of crop diversification on rural poverty in Nepal. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 66(3): 379-413.
- Van, d.B.G. and Maertens, M. (2016). Horticultural exports and food security in developing countries. Global Food Security. 10: 11-20.
- Vyas, V.S. (1996). Diversification in agriculture: Concept, rationale and approaches. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 51(4): 636-643.
- World Bank. (1990). Agricultural Diversification and Policies and Issues from East Asian Experiences. Policy and Research Series, Agriculture and Rural Development, the World Bank, Washington, D.C.
- Xu, Z., Guan, Z., Jayne, T.S. and Black, R. (2009). Factors influencing the profitability of fertilizer use on maize in Zambia. Agricultural Economics. 40(4): 437-446.
- Zimmerer, K.S. (2014). Conserving agrobiodiversity amid global change, migration and nontraditional livelihood networks: The dynamic uses of cultural landscape knowledge. Ecology and Society. 19(2): 1.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.