Chief EditorYashpal Singh Malik
Print ISSN 0303-3821
Online ISSN 0976-4631
NAAS Rating 3.07
A Brief Review on Millet Starch
First Online 09-06-2022|
- Adebowale, A.A., Adegoke, M.T., Sanni, S.A., Adegunwa, M.O. and Fetuga, G.O. (2012). Functional properties and biscuit making potentials of sorghum-wheat flourcomposite. American Journal of Food Technology. 7: 372-379.
- Afolabi, T.A., Olu-Owolabi, B.I., Adebowale, K.O., Lawal, O.S. and Akintayo, C.O. (2012). Functional and tableting properties of acetylated and oxidised finger millet (Eleusine coracana) starch. Starch-Stärke. 64(4): 326-337.
- Amadou, I., Gbadamosi, O.S. and Le, G.W. (2011). Millet-based traditional processed foods and beverages-A review. Cereal Foods World. 56(3): 115.
- Ao, Z.J. and Jane, (2007). Characterization and modeling of the a- and b- granule starches of wheat, triticale and barley. Carbohydrate Polymers. 67: 46-55.
- Arns, B.R.T., Paraginski, J., Bartz, R., Almeida Schiavon, M.C., Elias, E,. Zavareze, da Rosa and Dias, A.R.G. (2014). The effects of heat-moisture treatment of rice grains before parboiling on viscosity profile and physicochemical properties. International. Journal of Food Science. 49(8): 1939-1945.
- Assefa, F., Dilebo, J., Gabriel, T., Brhane, Y. and Wondu, K. (2020). Characterization and tablet property evaluation of pregelatinized starch of teff (Eragrostis tef). Asian Journal of Pharmacy. 8(5): 18-23.
- Balasubramanian, S., Sharma, R., Kaur, J. and Bhardwaj, N. (2014). Characterization of modified pearl millet (Pennisetum typhoides) starch. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 51(2): 294-300.
- Belton, P.S. and Taylor, J.R. (2004). Sorghum and millets: Protein sources for Africa. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 15(2): 94-98.
- Bhupender, S.K., Rajneesh, B. and Baljeet, S.Y. (2013). Physicochemical, functional, thermal and pasting properties of starches isolated from pearl millet cultivars. International Food Research Journal. 20(4): 1555-1561.
- Cao, T.L., Yang, S.Y. and Song, K.B. (2017). Characterization of barnyard millet starch films containing borage seed oil. Coatings. 7(11): 183.
- Cornejo-Ramirez, Y.I., Martinez-Cruz, O., Del Toro-Sanchez, C.L., Wong-Corral, F.J., Borboa-Flores, J. and Cinco-Moroyoqui, F.J. (2018). The structural characteristics of starches and their functional properties. CYTA-J. Food. 16(1): 1003-1017.
- Dayakar Rao, B., Bhaskarachary, K., Arlene Christina, G.D., Sudha Devi, G., Vilas, A.T. and Tonapi, A. (2017). Nutritional and health benefits of millets. ICAR_Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR): Hyderabad, 112.
- Dey, A. and Sit, N. (2017). Modification of foxtail millet starch by combining physical, chemical and enzymatic methods. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 95: 314-320.
- Dimler, R.J., Davis, H.A., Rist, C.E. and Hilbert, G.E. (1944). Production of starch from wheat and other cereal flours. Cereal Chemistry. 21(5): 430-446.
- Dixit, A.A., Azar, K.M.J., Gardner, C.D. and Palaniappan, L.P. (2011). Incorporation of whole, ancient grains into a modern Asian Indian diet to reduce the burden of chronic disease. Nutrition Reviews. 69: 479-488.
- Egharevba, H.O. (2019). Chemical Properties of Starch and Its Application in the Food Industry. In Chemical Properties of Starch, IntechOpen.
- Gunaratne, A.R. and Hoover (2002). Effect of heat-moisture treatment on the structure and physicochemical properties of tuber and root starches. Carbohydrate Polymers. 49(4): 425-437.
- Halal, S.L.M., D.H. Kringel, E.D.R., Zavareze, A.R and Dias, G. (2019). Methods for extracting cereal starches from different sources: A review. Starch-Stärke. 71(11-12) 1900128.
- Hoover, R. (2001). Composition, molecular structure and physicochemical properties of tuber and root starches: A review. Carbohydrate Polymers. 45: 3253-3267.
- Jane, J.L. (2009). Structural Features of Starch Granules II, Starch. Academic Press. 193-236.
- Ju, K.B. and Song, A. (2019), Development of teff starch films containing camu-camu (Myrciaria dubia Mc. Vaugh) extract as an antioxidant packaging material. Ind. Crops Prod. 141 111737.
- Kaur, B., Ariffin, F., Bhat, R. and Karim, A.A. (2012). Progress in starch modification in the last decade. Food Hydrocolloids. 26(2): 398-404.
- Kim, S.K., Lee, H.D., Ryu, J.G., Choi, H.J., Kang, S.M. and Lee, I.J. (2011). Physical and structural characteristics of endosperm starch of four local barnyard grass (Echinochloa crus- galli L.) collections in Korea. Korean Journal of Crop Science. 56(4): 293-298.
- Kim, S.K., Choi, H.J., Kang, D.K. and Kim, H.Y. (2012). Starch properties of native proso millet (Panicum miliaceum L.). Agron. Res. 10(1-2): 311-318.
- Kumari, S. and Singh, S.K. (2015). Assessment of genetic diversity in promising finger millet [Eleusine coracana (L.) gaertn] genotypes department of GPB, RAU, Pusa Bihar, India. 10(2): 825-830.
- Kumari, S.K. and Thayumanavan, B. (1998). Characterization of starches of proso, foxtail, barnyard, kodo and little millets. Plant Foods and Humun Nutrition. 53(1): 47-56.
- Mahajan, P., Bera, M.B., Panesar, P.S. and Chauhan, A. (2021). Millet starch: A review. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 180(13). DOI: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2021. 03.063.
- Marcone, G.A., Bertoft, M., E. and Seetharaman, K. (2014). Physical and molecular characterization of millet starches. Cereal Chemistry. 91(3): 286-292.
- Moita, B.C., Louren«o, C.A., Bagulho, A.S. and Beirão-da-Costa, M.L. (2008). Effect of wheat puroindolineallels on functional properties of starch. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 226: 1205-1212.
- Obilana, A.B. (2003). Overview: Importance of Millets in Africa, World (all cultivated millet species) 38-28.
- Odeku, O.A. and Alabi, C.O. (2007). Evaluation of native and modified forms of Pennisetum glaucum (millet) starch as disintegrant in chloroquine tablet formulations. Journal Drug Delivery and Science Technology. 17(2): 155-158.
- Saleh, A.S., Zhang, M., Chen, Q.J. and Shen, Q. (2013). Millet grains: Nutritional quality, processing and potential health benefits. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 12: 281-295.
- Sandhu, K.S., Sharma, L., Kaur, M. and Kaur, R. (2020). Physical, structural and thermal properties of composite edible films prepared from pearl millet starch and carrageenan gum: Process optimization using response surface methodology. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 143: 704-713.
- Shaikh, M., Ali, T. M. and Hasnain, A. (2020). Comparative study on the application of chemically modified corn and pearl millet starches in white sauce. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 44(4): 14393.
- Shaikh, M.S., Haider, T.M., Ali, A. and Hasnain. (2019). Physical, thermal, mechanical and barrier properties of pearl millet starch films as affected by levels of acetylation and hydroxypropylation. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 124: 209-219.
- Singh, V. and Ali, S.Z. (2000). Acid degradation of starch. The effect of acid and starch type. Carbohydrate Polymers. 41(2): 191-195.
- Srichuwong, S. and Jane, J.L. (2007). Physicochemical properties of starch affected by molecular composition and structures: A review. Food Science and Biotechnology. 16: 663-674.
- Suma, P.F. and Urooj, A. (2015). Isolation and characterization of starch from pearl millet (Pennisetum typhoidium) flours. International Journal of Food Properties. 18(12): 2675-2687.
- Wu, Y., Lin, Q., Cui, T. and Xiao, H. (2014). Structural and physical properties of starches isolated from six varieties of millet grown in China. International Journal of Food Properties. 17(10): 2344-2360.
- Yanez, G.A. and Walker, C.E. (1986). Effect of tempering parameters on extraction and ash of proso millet flours. Cereal Chemistry. 63(2): 164-167.
- Yang, S., Cao, Y.L., Kim, H., Beak, S.E. and Song, K.B. (2018). Utilization of foxtail millet starch film incorporated with clove leaf oil for the packaging of queso blanco cheese as a model food. Starch-Stärke. 70(3-4): 1700171.
- Yoo, S.H. and Jane, J.L. (2002). Structural and physical characteristics of waxy and other wheat starches. Carbohydrate Polymers. 49(3): 297-305.
- Zeng, F., Ma, F., Kong, Q., Gao, S. and Yu. (2015). Physicochemical properties and digestibility of hydrothermally treated waxy rice starch. Food Chemistry. 172: 92-98.
- Zhang, Lu, H.J., Liu, K., Wu, N., Li, Y. and Zhou, K. (2009). Earliest domestication of common millet (Panicum miliaceum) in East Asia extended to 10,000 years ago. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 106: 7367-7372.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.