Chief EditorYashpal Singh Malik
Print ISSN 0303-3821
Online ISSN 0976-4631
NAAS Rating 3.07
Full Research Article
Design and Development of Cold Storage System for Community- based Small-size Seed Banks for Farmers
First Online 24-08-2022|
Methods: This research work discusses the process of design, fabrication and testing of a low-cost seed storage unit (SSU) for community-based seed banks. The SSU of 200 L storage capacity was cooled using a thermoelectric cooler (TEC) to provide the temperature range of 15°C to 18°C and relative humidity <70% inside the SSU. The SSU was field-tested at fourteen different agro-climatic locations for seeds of paddy (Oryza sativa), gram (Cicer arietinum), onion (Allium cepa), groundnut (Arachis hypogaea) and maize (Zea mays) during the period 18 months between 2017 to 2019. These seeds were tested for germination count (GC) and moisture content (MC).
Result: Results obtained indicated that the SSU developed can retain essential seed quality parameters i.e. more than 80% germination count (GC), except for groundnut seeds over a period of 18 months as against loss of seed viability in 8 months’ time in traditional storage at ambient temperature. Based on the field performance testing, we recommend the use of such devices for farmers’ and farmers’ producer companies for a decentralised seed storage capacity of 100 to 200 kg.
- Aggarwal, P.K., (2008). Global climate change and Indian agriculture: Impacts, adaptation and mitigation. Indian Journal of Agricultural Science. 78: 911-919.
- Ahlawat, S. and Kaur, D. (2015). Climate change and food production in North West India. Indian Journal of Agricultural Science. 49(6): 544-548.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC), (2000). Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International. 17th Ed., AOAC International, Gaithersburg, MD, USA. AOAC Methods 925.40.
- Befikadu, D. (2014). Factors affecting quality of grain stored in Ethiopian traditional storage structures and opportunities for improvement. International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research. 18(1): 235-257.
- Birhanu Gebeyehu. (2020). Review on: Effect of seed storage period and storage environment on seed quality. International Journal of Applied Agricultural Sciences. 6(6): 185-190. doi: 10.11648/j.ijaas.20200606.14.
- Brown, D.R., Stout, T.B., Dirks, J.A., Fernandez, N. (2012). The prospects of alternatives to vapor compression technology for space cooling and food refrigeration applications. Energy Eng. 109: 7-20. 10.1080/01998595.2012.10554226.
- Harrington, J.F. (1960). Thumb Rules of drying seed. Crops and Soils. 13: 16-17.
- Harrington, J.F. (1972). Seed Storage and Longevity. In: Seed Biology, [Kozlowski, T.T.], illus. New York and London. 3: 145-245.
- Hongs, T.D., Linington, L.S., Ellis, R.H. (1996). A Handbook for Gene Banks: Seed Storage Behaviour: A Compendium, 4th ed, IPGRI, West Sussex, UK.
- ISTA Standard Proficiency Test, (2015). https://www.seedtest.org/ upload/cms/user/PT-P-01ISTAStandardProficiencyTest V3.8.pdf - - accessed on 14th Nov. 2015.
- Mbofung Gladys, C.Y., Goggi, A.S., Leonor, F.S. Leandro, dan Russell E. Mullen. (2013). Effects of storage temperature and relative humidity on viability and vigor of treated soybean seeds. Crop Science. 53: 1086-1095.
- Patil, S.M. (2015). Food Security through Seed Sovereignty: BAIF’s Community-led initiative for Ago-biodiversity Conservation in Maharashtra; Sustainable Development Stories from those Making it Possible. pp: 22-28.
- Rana, S. and Biradarpatil, N.K. (2018). Effect of storage on quality parameters of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) seed lots. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 7(12): 489-498. doi: https:/ /doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2018.712.061.
- Rahmawati and Muhammad Aqil. (2020). The Effect of Temperature and Humidity of Storage on Maize Seed Quality, IOP Conf. Ser.: Earth Environ. Sci. 484 012116.
- Singh, U. (2001). A study on the prevalent storage structures in the rural households of north Bihar. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 35: 85-89.
- TEC/Peltier Element Design Guide.: http://www.meerstetter.ch/ compendium/tec-peltier-element-design-guide-accessed on 12th Dec. 2015.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.