Chief EditorYashpal Singh Malik
Print ISSN 0303-3821
Online ISSN 0976-4631
NAAS Rating 3.07
Full Research Article
A Transfer Learning Approach for Leaf Image based Classification of Healthy and Diseased Leaves
First Online 20-06-2022|
Methods: Deep learning is gaining popularity among researchers due to its several advantages. Two approaches were used in deep learning: one is to build a model from scratch and the other to use pre-trained models (PTMs). This concept is known as transfer learning. It is based on the concept where the network learns from existing models and uses the knowledge to solve a completely different problem. These models are trained on huge datasets to solve a task that is similar to our desired problem. Mobile Net V2 has been used for our research problem and the beans dataset which is a publicly available dataset.
Result: Mobile Net V2 is a very light weight model which is trained on more than 1.4 M images. We have downloaded the pre-trained model and fine tuned the last layer to solve our desired task. The results observed that in just only 30 epochs our proposed model could achieve a classification accuracy of 98%. Also, we have compared our proposed method with other existing methods in literature and found that our proposed method had higher classification accuracy than other existing methods.
- Aamir, A., Malik, H. (2019). Applications of Artificial Intelligence Techniques in Engineering. 20(1): 698.
- Aurelin, G. (2019). Hands-on Machine Learning with Scikit- Learn, Keras and Tensor Flow, O’Reilly Publisher.
- Britannica Encyclopedia on Plant Disease. https://www.britannica.com/ plant disease (last checked on Jan 21/2022).
- Chen, Gao, Liu. (2019). Visual tea leaf disease recognition using a convolutional neural network model. Symmetry. 11(2): 343-350.
- Dekne, Oreke, Schonbeck. (2004). Crop Production and Crop Protection. Elsevier Science Publisher.
- Durmu (2017). Disease detection on the leaves of the tomato plants by using deep learning. Proceedings of the 2017 6th International Conference on Agro-Geoinformatics.
- Dang, Hassan, Kwak. (2017). Deep convolutional neural network for classifying Fusarium wilt of radish from unmanned aerial vehicles. Journal of Appl. Remote Sens. 11(3): 426-432.
- Eli, S., Luca, A., Thomas, V. (2020). Deep Learning with Pytorch. Manning Publishers.
- Francois, C. et al. (2017). Deep Learning with Phyton. Manning Publishers.
- Fujita, Kagiwada, Iyatomi. (2016). Basic Investigation on a Robust and Practical Plant Diagnostic System. In Proceedings of the 2016 15th IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA). 989-992.
- Jin, W. (2018). Classifying wheat hyperspectral pixels of healthy heads and Fusarium head blight disease using a deep neural network in the wild field. Remote Sensors. 10(1): 395-420.
- Ramcharan, M. (2017). Deep learning for image-based cassava disease detection. Front. Plant Sci. 8(2): 1852.
- Sibiya, M., Sumbwanyambe. (2019). Computational procedure for the recognition and classification of maize leaf diseases out of healthy leaves using convolutional neural networks. AgriEngineerin. 30(4): 119-131.
- State of Agriculture in India-Analytical Reports. https://prsindia.org/ policy/analytical-reports/state-agriculture-india (last checked on Jan 21/2022).
- Sun, Z. (2019). A recognition method for cucumber diseases using leaf symptom images based on deep convolutional neural network. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 20(3). 94-100.
- TianXiang, S., Dai, N., Qiu, XiP. (2020). Pre-trained models for natural language processing: A survey. Science China Technological Sciences. 63(1): 1872-1897.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.