Chief EditorYashpal Singh Malik
Print ISSN 0303-3821
Online ISSN 0976-4631
NAAS Rating 3.07
Full Research Article
Nanotechnology on Breaking Corm Dormancy in Elephant Foot Yam [Amorphophallus paeoniifolius (Dennst.) Nicolson]
First Online 03-06-2022|
Methods: Silver (Ag), zinc oxide (ZnO), titanium dioxide (TiO2), cerium oxide (CeO) and zero valent iron (ZVI) nanoparticles were synthesized successfully using chemical method and characterized for its size, shape and properties using Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM), Particle Size Analyzer (PSA) and Raman spectroscopy. Freshly harvested corms of Amorphophallus were treated with different concentrations (50 and 100 mg kg-1) of these five nanoparticles and commercially used chemicals viz., thiourea (100 and 200 mg kg-1) and potassium nitrate (1000 and 2000 mg kg-1), with three different soaking periods (2, 4 and 6 h).
Result: The analysed data indicated that corms treated with ZnO @ 100 mg kg-1 for six hours registered the minimum number of days (47.0 days) for sprout emergence. The maximum sprout length (23.50 cm), sprout diameter (6.35 cm), pseudo stem length (31.00 cm), pseudo stem girth (7.35 cm) and vigour index (1591.7) were recorded in TiO2 @ 50 mg kg-1 for two hours.
- Awan, S., Shahzadi, k., Javad, S., Tariq, A., Ahmad, A., lyas, S. (2021). A preliminary study of influence of zinc oxide nanoparticles on growth parameters of Brassica oleracea var italica. Journal of the Saudi Society of Agricultural Sciences. 20(1): 18-24.
- Chandra, S. (1984). Edible Aroids. Clarendor Press, Oxford. pp. 252.
- CTCRI. (1993). Root and Tuber Crops Research: A Perspective Plan. Tech. Bulletin Series 15. Central Tuber Crops Research Institute. Trivandrum. pp. 19.
- Grover, M., Singh, S.R., Venkateswar, B. (2012). Nanotechnology: Scope and limitations in agriculture. International Journal of Nanotechnology and Application. 2(1): 10-38.
- Guo, Z., Chen, H., Jia, L. (2012). Preparation and surface modification of highly dispersed nano-ZnO with stearic acid activated by N.N’- carbonyldiimidazole. Materials Letters. 82: 167-170.
- Hetterscheid, W. and Ittenbach, S. (1996). Everything you always wanted to know about Amorphophallus, but afraid to stick your nose into. Aroideana: International Aroid Society. 19: 7-131.
- Kobayashi, Y. and Mizutani, S. (1970). Studies on the wilting treatment of corn plant: The influence of the artificial auxin control in nodes on the behavior of rooting. Proceedings of the Crop Science Society of Japan. 39: 213-220.
- Madhavi, V., Prasad, T.N.V.K.V., Madhavi, G. (2013). Synthesis and spectral characterization of iron based micro and nanoparticles. International Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures. 3(2): 31-34.
- Mahmoodzadeh, H., Nabavi, M., Kashefi, H. (2013). Effect of nanoscale titanium dioxide particles on the germination and growth of canola (Brassica napus). Journal of Ornamental Horticultural Plants. 3: 25-32.
- Moghaddam, A.B., Nazari, T., Badraghi, J., Kazemzad, M. (2009). Synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles and electrodeposition of polypyrrole/ZnO nanocomposite film. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. 4: 247-257.
- Pandey, A.G., Sanjay, S.S., Yadav, R.S. (2010). Application of ZnO nanoparticles in influencing the growth rate of Cicer arietinum. Journal of Experimental Nanoscience. 5(6): 488-497.
- Park, J.H. (2005). Physical properties of shape controlled TiO2 nanoparticles. Journal of the Korean Physical Society. 47(5): 884-888.
- Raskar, S. and Laware, S.L. (2013). Effect of titanium dioxide nanoparticles on seed germination and germination indices in onion. Plant Sciences Feed. 3(9): 103-107.
- Raskar, S.V. and Laware, S.L. (2014). Effect of zinc oxide nanoparticles on cytology and seed germination in onion. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 3: 467-473.
- Ravi, V., Ravindran, C.S., Suja, G., George, J., Nedunchezhiyan, M., Byju, G., Naskar, S.K. (2011). Crop physiology of elephant foot yam [Amorphophallus paeoniifolius (Dennst. Nicolson)]. Advances in Horticultural Science. 25(1): 51-63.
- Rico, C.M., Majumdar, S., Duarte-Gardea, M., Videa, J.R.P., Torresdey, J.L.G. (2011). Interaction of nanoparticles with edible plants and their possible implications in the food chain. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 59: 3485-3498.
- Senthilkumar, S. (2011). Customizing nanoparticles for the maintenance of seed vigour and viability in blackgram (Vigna mungo) cv.VBN 4. (M.Sc. Thesis). Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Sridhar, C. (2012). Effect of nanoparticles for the maintenance of tomato seed vigour and viability. M.Sc. Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Strelchuk, V.V., Kolomys, O.F., Golichenko, B.O., Boyko, M.I., Kaganovich, E.B., Krishchenko, I.M., Kravchenko, S.O., Lytvyn, O.S., Manoilov, E.G., Nasieka, I.M., Lashkaryov, V. (2015). Micro-Raman study of nanocomposite porous films with silver nanoparticles prepared using pulsed laser deposition. Semiconductor Physics, Quantum Electronics and Optoelectronics. 18(1): 46-52.
- Sugiyama, E. and Santosa, N. (2008). Growth and production of Amorphophallus paeoniifolius (Dennst.) Nicolson from different corm weights. Bul. Agron. 35(2): 81-87.
- Zheng, L., Hong, F., Lu, S., Liu, C. (2005). Effect of nano-TiO2 on strength of naturally aged seeds and growth of spinach. Biological Trace Element Research. 104: 83-91.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.