Chief EditorYashpal Singh Malik
Print ISSN 0303-3821
Online ISSN 0976-4631
NAAS Rating 3.07
Full Research Article
Effect of Non-genetic Factors on Reproductive Parameters and Greasy Fleece Yield in Kashmir Merino Sheep
First Online 22-06-2022|
Methods: The traits considered in the study were overall all body weight of dams at tupping (DWT), average wool yield of dams (AWY), gestation period (GP) and birth weight (BW). The averages of 39.00±0.27 (kg), 2.38±0.02 (kg), 150.17±0.17 (days) and 3.87±0.04 (kg) for DWT, AWY, GP and BW with coefficient of variation 12.83%, 12.75,1.65 and 17.70, respectively were observed in the present study. The data was analyzed by Harvey, 1990.
Result: Highest and lowest CV (%) was observed for BW and GP, respectively. Overall estimates of 37.43±0.41 (kg) and 2.21±0.02 (kg), 150.59±0.56 and 2.84±0.11 for DWT, AWY, GP and BW, respectively was observed in the present study. Effect of age of dam was significant (p<0.05) on DWT and AWY whereas effect of lamb weight at birth was significant on GP. The effect of genetic group of sire, dam weight, parity of dam, body weight of dam at tupping, sex and birth type of lamb had significant (p<0.05) effect on BW. Heaiver lambs were born to heavier dams. Therefore, increasing selection pressure at tupping for dam weight will result in improvement of birth weight and hence overall production performance of Kashmir Merino sheep.
- Anderson, G.B., Bradford, G.E., Cupps, P.T. (1981). Length of gestation in ewes carrying lambs of two different breeds. Theriogenology. 16(1): 119-129.
- Annymous https://acesnmsuedu/sheep/sheep_reproduction/breeding_ 2021 Accessed on 21/02/2021.
- Bashir, I., Rather, M.A.,Rather, J.M., Hajam, I.A., Baba, J.A., Shah, M.M. and Haq, Z.U. (2020). Study of mortality pattern in an organized farming sector amongst Kashmir Merino Sheep. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 9(04): 1570-1578. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.904.184.
- Iman, N.Y. and Slyter, A.L. (1996). Lifetime lamb and wool production of Targhee or Finn-Dorset-Targhee ewes managed as farm or range flock: I. Average annual ewe performance. Journal of Animal Science. 74(8): 1757-1764.
- Kaulfuss, K.H. (2022). Duration of pregnancy and diurnal distribution of lambing in sheep with different genotypes. Deutsche Tierarztliche Wochenschrift. 109(1): 3-7.
- Khan, H.M., Ganai, N.A., Bhakat, M., Mir, M.S. (2011a). Birth weight and dam weight in Corriedale sheep under temperate conditions. Indian Veterinary Journal. 88(5): 43-45.
- Khan, H.M., Ganai, N.A., Bhakat, M., Mir, M.S., Sheikh, B.A. (2011b). Factors affecting birth weight and dam weight of Polled Dorset and crossbred sheep at an organized Farm/ Place. Indian Journal of Small Ruminants. 17(2): 227-230.
- Lalit, Malik, Z.S., Dalal, D.S., Dahiya, S.P., Magotra, A., Patil, C.S. (2016). Genetics of growth traits in sheep: A review, International Journal of Recent Research in Life Sciences. 3(2): 12-18.
- Lalit, Malik, Z.S., Dalal, D.S., Dahiya, S.P., Patil, C.S., Dahiya, R. (2016). Genetic analysis of growth traits in Harnali sheep. Veterinary World. 9(2): 128-132.
- Lalit, Z.S., Malik, Z.S., Dalal, D.S., Patil, C.S., Dahiya, S.P. (2017). Genetic studies on growth reproduction and wool production traits in Harnali sheep. Indian Journal of Animal Research. 51(5): 813-816.
- Mohammad, S.N.A.Y. (2006). Study of some non-genetic factors affecting gestation period and birth weight in Hammdani ewes, Mesopotamia Journal of Agriculture. 34(1): 26-31.
- Momoh, O.M., Rotimi, E.A., Dim, N.I. (2013). Breed effect and non- genetic factors affecting growth performance of sheep in a semi-arid region of Nigeria. Journal of Applied Biosciences. 67: 5302-5307.
- Ozturk, A., Aktaº, A.H. (1996). Effect of environmental factors on gestation length in Konya Merino sheep. Small Ruminant Research. 22(1): 85-88.
- Prince, L.L.L., Chopra, A., Gowane, G.R., Arora, A.L. (2010). Factors affecting growth in Avikalin sheep. Indian Veterinary Journal. 87: 1104-1108.
- Rather, M.A., Baig, S., Hamadani, A. (2020a). Genetic evaluation of growth performance of Kashmir Merino sheep. Indian Journal of Small Ruminants. 26(2): 157-163.
- Rather, M.A., Bashir, I., Kuthu, B.A., Baba, J.A., Hamadani, A. (2021). Factors affecting greasy fleece yield in Kashmir Merino sheep, Indian Journal of Small Ruminants. 27(1): 126-128.
- Rather, M.A., Shanaz, S., Ganai, N.A., Bukhari, S., Hamadani, A., Khan, N.N., Yousuf, S., Baba, A., Raja, T.A., Khan, H.M. (2019). Genetic evaluation of wool traits of Kashmir Merino sheep in organized farms. Small Ruminant Research. 177: 14-17.
- Rather, M.A., Shanaz, S., Ganai, N.A., Hamadani, A., Alam, S., Khan, N.N., Baba, A., Raja, T.A., Bukhari, S. (2020b). Genetic and non-genetic factors affecting growth and reproduction traits in Kashmir Merino sheep. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences. 90(6): 950-953.
- Shrestha, J.N.B., Heaney, D.P. (1990). Genetic basis of variation in reproductive performance (2) Genetic correlation between gestation length and prolificacy in sheep. Animal Reproduction Science. 23(4): 305-317.
- Snedecor, G.W., Cochran, W.G. (1967). Statistical Methods. Oxford and IBH Publications New Delhi India.
- Tilton, J.E. (1964). Factors influencing length of gestation in sheep Thesis Submitted to the faculty of the Graduate School of the Oklahoma State University of Agriculture and Applied Science in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Master of Science.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.