Chief EditorYashpal Singh Malik
Print ISSN 0303-3821
Online ISSN 0976-4631
NAAS Rating 3.07
Full Research Article
Conventional and Biotechnological Approaches for Enhancing Shelf-life of Horticultural Crops: A Review
First Online 31-05-2022|
Methods: The importance of understanding the biochemical process of softening and the use of such information for retarding the ripening process has been demonstrated in this paper.
Result: After reviewing the development made in extending the shelf life of fruits, it becomes evident that although success in this field has been inadequate, there are possibilities that fruit breeders will succeed in the near future in evolving superior cultivars with longer shelf life by adopting conventional and biotechnological approaches.
- Abano, E.E. and Buah, J.N. (2014). Biotechnological approaches to improve nutritional quality and shelf-life of fruits and vegetables. International Journal of Engineering and Technology. 4: 660-672.
- Ahmad, S., Chatha, Z.A., Nasir, M.A., Aziz, A., Virk, N.A. and Khan, A.R. (2006). Effect of pruning on yield and quality of kinnow fruit. Journal of Agriculture and Social Research. 2(1): 51-53.
- Almeida, D.P.F. (2011). Post-harvest application of 1- methylcyclopropene in fruit in post-harvest treatments and fruit quality and safety. 3: 85-100.
- Asrey, R. and Barman, K. (2011). Effect of pre-harvest factors on post-harvest quality of fruits. Advances in Post- Harvest Treatments and Fruit Quality and Safety. 10: 193-208.
- Atkinson, R.G., Schroeder, R., Hallet, I.C., Cohen, D. and MacRea, E.A. (2002). Overexpresssion of polygalacturonase in transgenic apple trees leads to a range of novel phenotypes involving changes in cell adhesion. Plant Physiology. 129: 122-133.
- Chadha, K.L., Ravindran, P.N. and Shahjiram, L. (2000). Biotechnology in Horticulture. In: Biotechnology in Horticultural and Plantation Crops, [Chadha, K.L., Ravindran, P.N. and Shahjiram, L. (eds.)]. Malhotra Publishing House, New Delhi India pp. 1-25.
- Chourasia, A., Sane, V.A., Singh, R.K. and Nath, P. (2008). Isolation and characterization of the MiCel 1 gene from mango: Ripening related expression and endoglucanase activity during softening. Plant Growth Regulator. 56: 117-127.
- Dahmani-Mardas, F., Troadec, C., Boualem, A., Le´veˆque, S., Alsadon, A.A., Aldoss, A.A., Dogimont, C. and Bendahmane, A. (2010). Engineering melon plants with improved fruit shelf- lifeusing the TILLING approach. PLoS ONE. 5(12): e15776. doi:10.1371/ journal.pone.0015776.
- Eshel, D., Ben-Arie, R., Dinoor, A. and Prusky, D. (2000). Resistance of gibberellins-treated persimmon fruit to Alternariaalternata arises from the reduced ability of the fungus to produce endo-1,4-â-glucanase. Phytopathology. 90(11): 1256-1262.
- Gao, M., Matsuta, N., Murayama, H., Toyomasu, T., Mitsushaahi, W., AbhyaDandekar, M., Tao, R. and Nishimura, K. (2007). Gene expression and ethylene production inn transgenic pear (Pyruscommuniscv La France) with sense or antisense cDNA encoding ACC oxidase. Plant Science. 173(1): 32-42.
- Good, X., Kellogg, J.A., Wagoner, W., Langhoff, D., Matsumura, W. and Bestwick, R.K. (1994). Reduced ethylene synthesis by transgenic tomatoes expressing S- adenosylmethionine hydrolase. Plant Molecular Biology. 26: 781-790.
- Klee, H.J., Hayford, M.B., Kretzmer, K.A., Barry, G.F. and Kishore, G.M. (1991). Control of ethylene synthesis by expression of bacterial enzyme in transgenic tomato plants. The Plant Cell. 3: 1187-1193.
- Laurena, A.C., Magdalita, P.M., Hidalgo, M.S.P., Villegas, V.N., Mendoza, E.M.T. and Botella, J.R. (2002). Cloning and molecular characterization of ripening- related ACC synthase from papaya fruit (Carica papaya L.) proceedings of international symposium tropical and subtropical fruits. Acta Horticulture. 575: 163-169.
- Loaharanu, P.M.S. (2007). Irradiated Foods. Sixth Edition. [Kava, R. (eds)]. American Council on Science and Health, New York USA. P 1-47 URLs: https://www. acsh.org.
- Meli, S.V., Ghosh, S., Prabha, T.N., Chakroborty, N., Chakroborty, S. and Datta, A. (2010). Enhancement of fruit shelf- life by suppressing N-glycan processing enzymes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 107: 2413-2418.
- Nambeesan, S., Datsenka, T., Ferruzzi, M.G., Malladi, A., Mattoo, A.K. and Handa, A.K. (2010). Overexpression of yeast spermidine synthase impacts ripening, senescence and decay symptoms in tomato. The Plant Journal. 63: 836-847.
- Sandhya (2011). Modified atmosphere packaging of fresh fruit. Advances in Post-Harvest Treatments and Fruit Quality and Safety. 6: 209-222.
- Tahir, I.I., Johansson, E. and Olsson, M.E. (2007). Improvement of quality and storability of apple cv Aroma by adjustment of some pre-harvest conditions. Scientia Horticulture. 112: 164-171.
- Tejero, G., Bocanegra, J.A., Martinez, G., Romeo, R., Duran- Zuazo, V.H. and Muriel-Fernandez, J.L. (2010). Positive impact of regulated deficit irrigation on yield and fruit quality in a commercial citrus orchard [Citrus sinensis (L.) cv. salustiano]. Agricultural Water Management. 97(5): 614-622.
- Vasanthaiah, H.K., Ravishankar, K.V., Shivashankara, K.S., Anand, L., Narayanaswamy, P., Mukunda, G. and Prasad, T.G. (2006). Cloning and characterization of differently ezpressed gene off internal breakdown in mango fruit (Mangifera indica). Journal of Plant Physiology. 163(6): 671-679.
- Vicente, A.R.R., Martinez, G.A., Chaves, A.R. and Civello, P.M. (2002). Quality of heat-treated strawberry fruit during refrigerated storage. Postharvest Biology and Technology. 25: 59-71.
- Xie, Y.H., Zhu, B.Z., Yang, X.L., Zhang, H.X., Fu, D.Q., Zhu, H.L., Shao, Y., Li, Y.C., Gao, H.Y. and Lyo, Y.B. (2006). Delay of postharvest ripening and senescence of tomato fruit through virus-induced LeACS2 gene silencing. Postharvest Biology and Technology. 42: 8-15.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.