Green manures in agriculture: A review
Citation :- Green manures in agriculture: A review .Bhartiya Krishi Anusandhan Patrika.2019.(34):1-10
Restoration of soil fertility of arable land is a great challenge in the developing and populous countries like India. The country witnessed the benefits Green Revolution Technologies (GRTs) in boosting of grain yield and the after effect of GRTs during past few decades in terms of deterioration of soil fertility and land degradation, loss of soil flora and fauna, genetic erosion, ecological unbalance, yield plateauing and associated insecurity in livelihood of the farmers. Now maintenance of soil fertility and sustainability of agriculture production are of important concerns. Green manuring can play an important role in this regard as it showed versatile impacts like improvement of soil physico-chemical and biological properties and fertility, nutrient supply to succeeding crops, checking erosion and plant protection. The previous research activities on various aspects of green manures were reviewed here in favour of evergreen agriculture for the future.
Protection of plants
- Abawi GS, Widmer TL. Impact of soil health management practices on soil-borne pathogens, nematodes and root diseases of vegetable crops. Appl. Soil Ecol. 2000; 15(1):37-47.
- Adediran JA, Akande MO, Oluwatoyinbo FI. Effect of Mucuna intercropped with maize on soil fertility and yield of maize. Ghana J Agric. Sci. 2004; 37:15-22.
- Akiew S, Trevorrow PR, Kirkegaard JA. Mustard green manure reduces bacterial wilt. Bacterial Wilt Newsletter 1996; 13:5-6.
- Akpor OB, Okoh AI, Babalola GO. Culturable microbial population dynamics during decomposition of Theobroma cacao leaf litters in a tropical soil setting. J. Biol. Sci. 2006; 6(4):768-774.
- Alvarenga RC, Costa LM, MouraFilho W, Regazzi AJ. Características de algunsadubosverdes de interessepara a conservação e recuperação de solos. Pesq. Agropec. Bras. 1995; 30:175-185.
- Anderson JPE, Domsch KH. Ratios of microbial biomass carbon to total organic carbon in arable soils. Soil Biol. Biochem. 1989; 21:471-479.
- Baig MB, Zia MS. Rehabilitation of problem soils through environmental friendly technologies- II: Role of Sesbania (Sesbania aculeata) and gypsum. Agricultura Tropicaet Subtropica. 2006; 39(1):26-33
- Bhattacharyya R, Ghosh BN, Mishra PK, Mandal BP, Srinivasa Rao C, Sarkar D et al. Soil Degradation in India: Challenges and Potential Solutions. Sustainability. 2015; 7:3528-3570.
- Biederbeck VO, Zentner RP, Campbell CA. Soil microbial populations and activities as influenced by legume green fallow in a semiarid climate, Soil Biol. Biochem. 2005; 37:1775-1784.
- Blackshaw RE, Moyer JR, Doram RC, Boswell AL. Yellow sweet clover, green manure, and its residues effectively suppress weeds during fallow. Weed Sci. 2001; 49:406-413
- Blum LEB, Kabana RR. Effect of soil organic amendments on sclerotial germination, mycelia growth, and Sclerotium rolfsii-induced diseases. Fitopatologia brasileira. 2004; 29:66-74.
- Boydston RA, Hang A. Rapeseed (Brassica napus) green manure crop suppresses weeds in potato (Solanum tuberosum). Weed Technol. 1995; 9:669-675.
- Brar DS, Sidhu AS. Effect of soil water on patterns of nitrogen release during decomposition of added green manure residue, J Indian Soc. Soil Sci.1995; 43(1):14-17.
- Brar DS, Sidhu AS. Effect of temperature on pattern of nitrogen release during decomposition of added green manure residue in soil, J Res. 1997; 34(3):275-278.
- Bugg RL, Sarrantonio M, Dutcher JD, Phatak JD. Understory cover crops in pecan orchards: Possible management strategies. Am. J Alt. Ag.1991; 6:50-62.
- Burns RG, DeForest JL, Marxsen J, Sinsabaugh RL,Stronberger ME, Wallenstein MD et al. Soil enzymes in a changing environment: current knowledge and future directions. Soil Biol. Biochem. 2013; 58:216-234.
- Cardoso SC, Soares ACF, Brito A, dos S, Laranjeira FF, Ledo CAS et al. Control of tomato bacterial wilt through the incorporation of aerial part of pigeon pea and crotalaria to soil. Summa Phytopathologica. 2006; 32:27-33.
- Carvalho NS, Oliveira ABB, Pessoa MMC, Costa Neto VP, de Sousa RS, da Cunha JR et al. Short- term effect of different green manure on soil chemical and biological properties, African Journal of Agricultural Research 2015; 10: 4076-4081.
- Conklin AE, Erich MS, Liebman M, Lambert D, Gallandt ER, Halteman WA. Effects of red clover (Trifoliumpratense) green manure and compost soil amendments on wild mustard (Brassica kaber) growth and incidence of disease. Plant and Soil. 2002; 238:245-256.
- Dalal RC. Mineralization of carbon and phosphorus from carbon-14 and phosphorus-32 labelled plant material added to soil, Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 1979; 43:913-916.
- Davis JR, Huisman OC, Westerman DT, Hafez SL, Everson DO, Sorensen LH et al. Effects of green manures on Verticillium wilt of potato. Phytopathol 1996; 86:444-453.
- Dhillon KS, Dhillon SK. Relative contribution of green manures in sulphur nutrition of toria (Brassica campestris). J. Nuc. Agri. Biol. 1991; 20(2): 128-133.
- Doran JW, Fraser DG, Culik MN, Liebhardt WC. Influence of alternative and conventional agricultural management on soil microbial process and nitrogen availability. American J Alt. Agri. 1988; 2:99-106.
- Dubey L, Dubey M, Jain M. Role of Green Manuring in Organic Farming. Plant Archives. 2015; 15(1):23-26.
- Egodawatta WCP, Sangakkara UR, Wijesinghe DB, Stamp P. Impact of freen manure on productivity patterns of home-gardens and fields in a Tropical Dry Climate, Trop. Agri. Res. 2011; 22(2):172-182.
- Eriksen J. Gross sulphur mineralization-immobilization turnover in soil amended with plant residues, Soil Biol. Biochem. 2005; 37:2216-2224.
- Florentin MA, Penalva M, Calegari A, Derpsch A. Green manure / cover crops and crop rotation in conservation agriculture on small farms, FAO, Integrated Crop Management, 2011; 12:97.
- Goyal S, Chander K, Mundra MC, Kapoor KK. Influence of inorganic fertilizer and organic amendments on soil organic matter and microbial properties under tropical conditions. Biol. Fert. Soils. 1999; 27(2):196-200.
- Groffman PM, Hendrix PF, Crossley DA. Jr. Effects of awinter legume on phosphorus, potassium, calcium and magnesium cycling in a humid subtropical agroecosystem, Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 1987; 18:281-289.
- Heinrichs R, Vitti GC, Moreira A, Fancelli AL. Produçãoe estadonutricional do milhoemcultivo consorcia- dointercalar com adubosverdes. Rev. Bras. Ci. Solo. 2002; 26:225-230.
- Jayapaul GGP, Duraisingh RR, Senthivel T, Joseph M. Influence of population and stage of Incorporation of intercropped green manure (Dhaincha) and nitrogen levels on yield and quality of sugarcane. Indian Sugar. 2000; 49(12):989-991.
- Janvier C, Villeneuve F, Alabouvette C, Edel-Hermann V, Mateille T, Steinberg C. Soil health through soil disease suppression: Which strategy from descriptors to indicators? Soil Biol. Biochem. 2007; 39(1):1-23.
- Kamil D, Kumar R, Sinha A. Effect of green manuring of Crotalaria juncea L on some soil-borne pathogens. Indian Phytopath. 2009; 62(3):304-309.
- Khan AR, Ghorai AK, Ingh SR. Improvement of crop and soil sustainability through green manuring in rainfed lowland rice ecosystem.Agrochimica. 2000; 44(1-2):21-29.
- Kumar R. Studies on decomposing fungi of Sesbania aculeata L. in soil and its effects on soil borne plantpathogens. Ph.D. Thesis. Banaras Hindu University,Varanasi, 2010.
- Kumar R, Mahajan G, Srivastava S, Sinha A. Greemmanuring: A boon for sustainable agriculture and pest management – a review, Agri. Review. 2014; 35(3):196-206.
- Kumar V, Prasad RK. Integrated effect of mineral fertilizers and green manure on crop yield and nutrient availability under Rice-Wheat cropping system in Calciorthents, J Indian Soc. Soil Sci. 2008; 56(2):209- 214.
- Larkin RP, Griffin TS. Control of soilborne potato diseases using Brassica green manures. Crop Prot. 2007; 26(7):1067-1077.
- Larson WE, Pierce FJ. Conservation and enhancement of soil quality, the soil quality concept, Edited by The Soil Quality Institute, United States Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources Conservation Service, 1996; 11-38.
- Lazzeri L, Manici LM. Allelopathic Effect of Glucosinolate containing plant green manure on Pythium sp. and total fungal population in soil. Hort Science. 2001; 36(7):1283-1289.
- Liu GS, Luo ZB, Wang Y, Li HL, Wang GF, Ma JM. Effect of green manure application on soil properties and soil microbial biomass in tobacco field, J Soil Water Conserv. 2006; 20:95-98.
- Lopes MM, Salviano AAC, Araujo ASF, Nunes LAPL, Oliveira ME. Changes in soil microbial biomass and activity in different Brazilian pastures, Spanish J. Agric. Res. 2010; 8:1253-1259.
- MacRae RJ, Mehuys GR. The effect of green manuring on the physical properties of temperate area soils, Adv. Soil Sci. 1985; 3:71-94.
- Millard WA, Taylor CB. Antagonism of micro- organisms as the controlling factor in the inhibition of scab by green-manuring. Ann. Appl. Biol. 1927; 14:202-216.
- Ochiai N, Powelson ML, Dick RP, Crowe FJ. Effects of green manure type and amendment rate on Verticillium wilt severity and yield of Russet Burbank potato. Plant Dis. 2007; 91(4):400-406.
- Pandey DK, Pandey R, Mishra RP, Kumar S, Kumar N. Collection of Dhaincha (Sesbania spp.) variability in Uttar Pradesh, Biodiversity and Agriculture (Souvenir), Uttar Pradesh Biodiversity Board, Lucknow, 2008, 48-51.
- Papavizas GC, Davey CB. Rhizoctonia disease of bean as affected by decomposing green plant materials and associated microfloras. Phytopathol. 1960; 50:516-522.
- Pieters JA. Green Manuring, Principles and Practice. John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1927; 365.
- Prot JC, Soriano IRS, Matias DM, Savary S. Use of Green manure crops in conrol of Hirschmanniella mucronata and H. oryzae in irrigated rice. J Nematol. 1992; 24(1):127-132.
- Pung H, Aird PL, Cross S. The use of Brassica green manure crops for soil improvement and soil borne disease management, 3rd Australian Soil borne diseases Symposium, 8-11 February, 2004, 1-2. 82.
- Roy S and Kashem MA. Effects of Organic Manures in Changes of Some Soil Properties at Different Incubation Periods, Open Journal of Soil Science, 2014; 4:81-86
- Santos VB, Araujo ASF, Leite LFC, Nunes LAL, Melo WJ. Soil microbial biomass and organic matter fractions during transition from conventional to organic farming systems, Geoderma. 2012; 170:227-231.
- Salahin N, Alam MK, Islam MM, Naher L, Majid NM. Effects of green manure crops and tillage practice on maize and rice yields and soil properties, Australian Journal of Crop Science. 2013; 7(12):1901-1911.
- Shah Z, Ahmad SR, Rahman HU. Soil microbial biomass and activities as influenced by green manure legumes and N fertilizer in rice-wheat system, Pak. J Bot. 2010; 42:2589-2598.
- Sicardi M, Garcia-Prechac F, Frioni L. Soil microbial indicators sensitive to land use conversion from pastures to commercial Eucalyptus grandis (Hill ex Maiden) plantations in Uruguay, Appl. Soil Ecol. 2004; 27:125-133.
- Silva DKA, Freitas NO, Sous RG, Silva FSB, Araujo ASF, Maia LC. Soil microbial biomass and activity under natural and regenerated forests and conventional sugarcane plantations in Brazil, Geoderma. 2012; 189:257-261.
- Singh S, Ghoshal N, Singh KP. Synchronizing nitrogen availability through application of organic inputs of varying resource quality in a tropical dry land agroecosystem, Appl. Soil Ecol. 2007; 36(2-3)164-175.
- Singh BB, Jones JP. Phosphorus sorption and desorption characteristics of soil as affected by organic residues, Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 1976; 40:389-394.
- Singh Y, Singh S, Khind CS. Nutrient transformations in soils amended with green manures. Adv. Soil Sci. 1992; 20:237-309.
- Sinha A, Kumar R, Kamil D, Kapur P. Release of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium from decomposing Crotalaria juncea L. in relation to different climatic factors, Environ. Ecol. 2009; 27(4B):2077-2081.
- Sikora LJ, Stott DE. Soil organic carbon and nitrogen. In: ‘Methods for Assessing Soil Quality’, SSSA Special Publication 49, Soil Science Society of America, 677 S. Segoe Rd, Madison, WI 53711, USA, 1996; 157-167.
- Tejada M, Gonzalez JL, García-Martínez AM, Parrado J. Application of a green manure and green manure composted with beet vinasse on soil restoration: Effects on soil properties, Bioresour. Technol. 2008; 99(11): 4949-4957.
- Tiwari KN, Tiwari SP, Pathak AN. Studies on green manuring of rice in double cropping system in a partially reclaimed saline-sodic soil. Indian J Agron. 1980; 25:136-145.
- Vakeesan A, Nishanthan T, Mikunthan G. Green manures: nature’s gift to improve soil fertility. LEISA magazine. 2008; 24(2):16-17.
- Weinhold AR, Oswald JW, Bowman T, Bishop J, Wright D. Influence of green manures and crop rotation on common scab of potato. American Potato J. 1964; 41:265-273.
- Wiggins BE, Kinkel LL. Green manures and crop sequences influence potato diseases and pathogen inhibitory activity of indigenous streptomycetes. Phytopathol. 2005; 95:178-185.
- Yadav RL, Dwivedi BS, Pandey PS. Rice-wheat cropping system: assessment of sustainability under green manuring and chemical fertilizer inputs, Field Crop Res. 2000; 65(1):15-30.
- Ziblim IA, Paul GS, Timothy KA. Assessing soil amendment potentials of Mucuna pruriens and Crotalaria juncea when used as fallow crops. J. Soil Sci. Environ. Manage. 2013; 4:28-34.