Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Full Research Article
Effect of pH on Soil Chemical Properties and Maize Performance in Abakaliki, Nigeria
First Online 16-01-2022|
Methods: In the field-laboratory investigation during 2018-2019 at different localities of Ebonyi State were surveyed. Three sampling localities were selected based on geographical situation, climate and local condition. In the laboratory, the soil samples of natural stock collected were processed for mean pH values and confirmed with pH meter using standard laboratory method. Maize was used as test crop to assess effect of pH on its performance.
Result: Our investigations in Ebonyi State have allowed us to inventory three pH values. Among the inventoried pH values, some are regarded adverse for soil productivity. The implication of soil pH on nutrients availability and maize performance was discussed. The current work will be a complementary contribution of detailed study of effect of pH on soil productivity.
- Akamigbo, F.O.R. (2010). Soils: Fundamental Methods of Soil Resource Survey, Classification, Interpretation and Application. University Press Publishers Ltd, Bookshop Bank Building Complex, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. pp 1-53.
- Ammal, U.B., Mathan, K.K., Mathimairaja, S. (2001). Effect of different levels of rock phosphate-suphur granule on yield and nutrient availability. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 5: 166-170.
- Aruna, M.A. (2017). The effect of pH on soil bacteria. Assessed online jcl in Microblnfec.
- Biswas, T. D. and Mukherjee, S.K. (2008). Textbook of Soil Science 2nd (ed). Tata Mcgraw-Hil Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi pp 190-200.
- Bremner, J.M. and Mulvaney, C.S. (1982). Total Nitrogen. In: Methods of Soil Analysis. [Page, A.L., Miller, R.H. and Keeny, D.R. (eds)]. Part 1, ASA, Madison, Wisconsin, America p365.
- Dora, N. (2019). The role of soil pH in plant nutrient and soil remediation. Applied and Environmental Soil Science. 10: 1-9.
- Hao, J.H., Lv, S.S., Bhattacherya, S. and Fu, J.G. (2017). Germination response of four alien congeneric Amaranthus species to environmental factors. PLOS ONE. 12: e0170297. DOI:10:1371/journal.poneo/70297.
- Iyere-Usiahon, P.N.O. and Jayeoba, O.J. (2018). Effect of pH on Bacteria Population in Selected Sites of Esan Northeast, Edo State. Proceedings of 42nd Annual Conference of Soil Science Society of Nigeria, Ibadan. pp 180-187.
- Jiang, Y., Li, Y., Zeng, Q., Wei, J. and Yu, H. (2017). The effect of soil pH on plant growth, leaf chlorophyll fluorescence and mineral element content of two blueberries. Acta Horticulture. 1180: 269-276.
- Kumbhare, N.V., Dubey, S.K., Nain, M.S. and Bahal, R. (2014). Microanalysis of yield gap and profitability in pusles and cereals. Legume Research. 37: 532-536.
- Lonceric, Z., Karalic, K., Popvic, B., Rastija, D. and Vuk Obratovic, M. (2008). Total and plant available micronutrients in acidic and calcareous soils in croatia. Cereal Research Communication. 36: 331-334.
- Mbah, C.N., Mbagwu, J.S.C. and Anikwe, M.A.N. (2001). Effect of four animal wastes on soil chemical properties and maize dry matter yield. Journal of Agriculture, Food Technology and Environment 1: 129-132.
- Mbah, C.N., Nwite, J.N., Njoku, C. and Nweke, I.A. (2010). Response of maize (Zea mays L.) to different rates of wood-ash application in acid ultisol in Southeast Nigeria. African Journal of Agricultural Research. 5(7): 580-587.
- Minasny, B., Hang, S.Y., Harteminks, A.E., Kim, Y.H. and Kang, S.S. (2016). Soil pH increase under paddy in South Korea between 2000 and 2012. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 221: 205-213.
- National Programme for Agriculture and Food Security (NPAFS), (2010). Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. Report on Agricultural Production Survey pp. 1-76.
- Nelson, D.W. and Sommers, I.E. (1982). Total Organic Carbon and Organic matter. In: Methods of soil Analysis, part 2. Chemical and Microbiological properties 2nd (ed). Agronomic series, No 9 ASA-SSSA, Madison, Wisconsin p 570.
- Nimet (2016). Weather data for Abakaliki; National Meteorological Institute, Oshodi, Lagos, Nigeria pp 1-5.
- Nweke, I.A. and Nsoanya, I.N. (2013). Soil pH as an indices for effective management of soils for crop production. International Journal of Technology and Scientific Research. 2(3): 2277-8616.
- Okonkwo, C.I., Nwite, J.N., Onyibe, C., Nweke, I.A. and Mbah, C.N. (2011). Animal manures mineralization and plant nitrogen uptake in an ultisol in Abakaliki, Southeast, Nigeria. Journal of Agriculture and Biological Science. 2(5): 125-128.
- Page, A.I., Miller, R.H. and Keeny, D.R. (1982). Methods of Soil Analysis. Part 2, 2nd (ed). Monograph, ASA, Madison, Wisconsin P. 98.
- Pansu, M. and Gautheyrou, J. (2003). L’analyse du sol, mineralogiqueet minerale. Berlein; Heidelberg New: Springer-Verlag.
- Peech, M. (1965). Hydrogen Ion Activity. In: Methods of Soil Analysis. [Black, C.A. (ed)]. American Society of Agronomy. 9(2): 914-926.
- Pinoliya, K.K., Dotaniya, M.L. and Mathur, A.K. (2013). Role of Phosphorus and Iron in Chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) lap Lambert Academic Publisher, Germany.
- Rao, F. and Tel, D. (1982). Automated and semi-automated methods for soil and plant analysis, 11TA. Manual series. 17: 15-25.
- Rodolfo, G., Roberto, A., Chiara, M., Sarah, C. and Sandra, C. (2018). Effect of soil pH on the growth, reproductive investment and pollen allergenicity of Ambrosia artemisiifolia L. Frontal Plant Science. 9: 1-24.
- Statistical Analysis System (SAS), (1985). User’s Guide 1985 (ed). Statistical Analysis System Institute Inc. Cary, N.C.
- Tessmer, O.L., Jiao, Y., Cruz, J.A., Kramer, D.M. and Chen, J. (2013). Functional approach to high-throughput plant growth analysis. BMC System Biology 7: S17. doi: 10.1186/1752-0509-7-36-S17.
- Turner, J.A. (1928). Relation of the distribution of certain Compositae to the hydrogen-ion concentration of the soil. Bulletin Torry Botany Club. 55: 199-213.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.