Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Synchronicity of Condition Factor with Reproductive Development in Rainbow Snakehead (Channa bleheri Vierke, 1991)
First Online 19-05-2021|
Methods: The condition of C. bleheri was closely monitored based on lenth-weight data round the year. The gonadal development of the species was determined calculating the Gonado-Somatic Ratio (GSR) as well as histological observation of the gonads.
Result: It was found that the value of condition factor was directly proportional to the gonadal development which signifies the importance of gonad development in determining the fish condition. As there are many established factors that determine a fish condition, the inputs drawn out from the reproductive development can help to determine the condition of the fish.
- Al Mahmud, N., Rahman, H.M.H., Mostakim, G.M., Khan, M.C.Q., Shahjahan, M., Nahid, S.N.S., Islam, M.S. (2016). Cyclic variation of gonad development of an air-breathing fish, Channa striata in the lentic and lotic environments. Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 19: 5. http://10.1186/s41240-016-0005-0.
- Arockiaraj, A.J., Haniffa, M.A., Seetharaman, S., Singh, S. (2004). Cyclic changes in gonadal maturation and histological observations of threatened freshwater catfish “Narikeliru” Mystus montanus (Jerdon, 1849). Acta Ichthyologica Et Piscatoria. 34(2): 253-266. http://10.3750/AIP2004. 34.2.12.
- Barnham, C.P.S.M. and Baxter, A. (2003). Condition Factor, K, for Salmonid Fish. Fisheries note, 1-3.
- Chaudhry, S. (2010). Channa bleheri. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2010:e. T168567A6516424. https://doi.org/10.2305/IUCN.
- Degani, G. (1994). Effect of gonadotropin and steroids on vitellogenesis during ovarian development in Trichogaster trichopterus. Journal of Aquaculture in the Tropics. 9: 15-23.
- Froese, R. (2006). Cube law, condition factor and weight-length relationships: history, meta-analysis and recommendations. Journal of Applied Ichthyology, 22: 241-253. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0426.2006.00805.x.
- Fulton, T. W., (1904): The rate of growth of fishes. Twenty-second Annual Report, Part III. Fisheries Board of Scotland, Edinburgh. 141-241.
- Kalita, M., Choudhury, H., Saikia, A. and Sarma, D. (2018). Length weight relationships of four endemic snakeheads [Channa andrao Britz, 2013], Channa aurantimaculata Musikasinthorn, 2000, Channa bleheri Vierke, 1991 and Channa stewartii (Playfair, 1876)] from the Brahmaputra drainage, northeast India. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 00: 1-2. https://doi.org/10.1111/jai.13804.
- Kesteven, G.L. (1960). Manual of field methods in fisheries biology. F.A.O. Manual of Fisheries Science. 1: 1-52.
- Lakra, W.S., Sarkar U.K., Gopalakrishnan A. and A. Kathirvelpandian (2010). Threatened freshwater fishes of India; National Bureau Freshwater Genetic Resources Publication, Lucknow (Indian Council of Agricultural Research). 25 pp.
- Le Cren, E.D. (1951): The length–weight relationship and seasonal cycle in gonad weight and condition in the perch (Perca fluviatilis). Journal of Animal Ecology, 20: 201-219.
- Milton, J., Bhat, A.A, Haniffa, M.A., Hussain, S.A., Rathar, I.A, (2017). Ovarian development and histological observations of threatened dwarf snakehead fish, Channa gachua (Hamilton, 1822). Saudi Journal of Biological Science. 1-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sjbs.2017.03.011.
- Navarro, E., Iglesias J.I.P. and Larranaga, A. (1989). Interannual variation in the reproductive cycle and biochemical composition of the cockle Cerastoderma edule from Mundaca Estuary (Biscay, North Spain). Marine Biology. 101: 503-511.
- Parmeswaran, S, Murugesan, V.K. (1976): Observations on the hypophysation of murrels (Ophiocephalidae). Hydrobiologia. 50: 81-87.
- Ricker, W.E., (1975): Computation and interpretation of biological statistics of fish populations. Department of Environment, Fisheries and Marine Service, Ottawa. 382.
- Srivastav, S.K., Srivastav, A.K. (1998): Annual changes in serum calcium and inorganic phosphate levels and correlation with gonadal status of a freshwater murrel, Channa punctatus (Bloch). Journal of Medical Biology Research. 31: 1069-1073.
- Tomkiewicz, J., Tybjerg, L., Jespersen, A. (2003): Micro- and macroscopic characteristic to stage gonadal maturation of female Baltic cod. Journal of Fish Biology. 62: 253-275.
- Vishwanath, W. and Geetakumari, K. (2009). Diagnosis and interrelationship of fishes of the genus Channa Scopoli (Teleostei : Channidae) of northeastern India. Journal of Threatened Taxa. 1: 97-105.
- Wege, G.W. and Anderson R.O. (1978). Relative weight (Wr): a new index of condition for largemouth bass. In: New Approaches to the Management of Small Impoundments. 5: 79-91.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.