Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Effect of foliar spray of water soluble fertilizer at pre flowering stage on yield of pulses
First Online 29-12-2015|
Field experiments were conducted at Pulses and Oilseeds Research Station, Berhampore, Murshidabad, West Bengal during pre kharif, kharif and rabi seasons of 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14 to study the effect of water soluble fertilizer spray on growth and yield of greengram, blackgram, lathyrus, lentil and chickpea. Pulses are mostly grown by the farmers without any fertilizer application, as positive effect of supplying legume plants with supplementary nitrogen was found to have beneficial effect on enhancing growth and increasing seed yield. Five sets of experiments were laid out in a split plot design with three replications viz. two levels of basal fertilizer application (F0 - No basal dose of fertilizer, F1 - Basal dose of fertilizer application @ 20, 40, 40 kg N, P2O5, K2O ha-1.) as factor A in main plot and seven levels of foliar spray of water soluble fertilizers at pre flowering stage (no spray, 0.5% NPK(19-19-19), 1% NPK(19-19-19) , 2% NPK(19-19-19), 3% NPK(19-19-19), 2% DAP, 2% Urea) as factor B in sub plot. Significantly higher seed yield of pulses were recorded with application of 2% urea spray over basal dose of fertilizer application The lowest seed yield was recorded with no basal fertilizer and spray. Without basal dose of fertilizer application, 3% NPK (19-19-19) spray recorded highest seed yield. Under basal dose of fertilizer application, the results showed a gradual increase in yield with the increase in concentration of NPK (19-19-19) fertilizer spray up to 2%, Among the fertilizer spray treatments irrespective of basal dose of fertilizer application, urea spray was significantly better than all other treatments.
- yield of soybean (Glycine max L.) Field Crop Res., 6: 261-266.
- Bhowmick, M. K. (2006). Foliar nutrition and basal fertilization in chickpea under rainfed condition. Env. Eco., 24: 1028-30.
- Bhowmick, M. K. (2008). Effect of foliar nutrition and basal fertilization in lentil under rainfed conditions. J. Food Legumes, 21: 115-16.
- Bhowmick, M. K., Dhara, M. C., Duary, B., Biswas, P. K. and Bhattacharyya, P. (2014). Improvement of lathyrus productivity through seed priming and foliar nutrition under rice-utera system. Journal of Crop and Weed, 10:277-280.
- Choudhury, G.L. and Yadav, L.R. (2011). Effect of fertility levels and foliar nutrition on cowpea productivity. J. of Food Legumes. 24: 67-68.
- Dixit, P.M. and Elamathi, S. (2007). Effect of foliar application of DAP, micronutrients and NAA on growth and yield of green gram (Vigna radiata L.). Legume Res., 30: 305-307.
- El- Kramany, M.F., Magda Mohamed, H., and Nofal, O.A. (2003). Effect of late foliar application with urea and Potasium fertilization on yield, yield components and chemical composition of two mungbean varieties. Egypt J. Appl. Sci., 18: 177-188.
- Ghosh, M. K. and Joseph, S.A. (2008). Influence of biofertilizers, foliar application of DAP and sulphur sources on yield and yield attributes of summer green gram (Vigna radiate L. Wilczek). Legume Res., 31: 232 – 233.
- Kumar, G.S., Muthukrishnan, P., Ramasamy, S. and Chandaragiri, K.K. (2008). Effect of organic and inorganic foliar spray on growth and yield of blackgram (Vigna mungo L.). Madras Agricultural Journal 95: 57- 60.
- Palta, J.A., Nandwal, A.S., Kumari, S. and Turner, N.C. (2005). Foliar nitrogen applications increase the seed yield and protein content in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) subject to terminal drought. Australian J. Agric. Res., 56: 105-112.
- Ramanathan, S., Natarajan, K. and Stalin, P. (2004). Effect of foliar nutrition on grain yield of rice fallow blackgram. Madras Agric. J., 91: 160-163.
- Salisbury, F.B. and Ross, C.W. (1985). Plant Physiology. 3rd ed. Wadsworth, Belmont, CA. 540 pp.
- Sirinivasa perumal. A.P and Sundari, A. (2004). Response of rice fallow blackgram cv. ADT 5 to the application of DAP and Phosphobacteria. Legume Res., 27: 73 – 74.
- Srinivasan ,K. and Ramasamy, M. (1992). Effect of foliar nutrition of urea and diammonium phosphate on rainfed cowpea. Indian. J. Agron. 37: 265 – 267.
- Zeidan, M.S. (2003). Effect of sowing dates and urea foliar application on growth and seed yield of determinate faba bean (Vicia faba L.) under Egyptian conditions. Egypt J. Agron., 24: 93-102.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.