Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Plant growth and fruit yield attributes of cape gooseberry cv. Aligarh as affected by the use of different growth regulators
First Online 10-06-2016|
The present investigation was carried out in the Departmental nursery of Khalsa College, Amritsar during year 2013-14. It is comprised of seven treatments as NAA (5, 10 and 15 ppm), GA3 (10, 15 and 20 ppm) and control which were replicated four times. A unit of eight plants per plot considered as one replication. The growth regulators were applied immediately after fruit set. Both the growth regulators were found to be effective in improving the growth characters as plant height, stem thickness, average shoot length, shoot thickness, internodal length and average leaf area than control. GA3 20 ppm proved to be most effective in improving the growth characters than all the other treatments. Fruit set per cent (71.40%) found to be maximum in plants which were treated with NAA 15 ppm whereas the plants sprayed with GA3 10 ppm yielded maximum fruits (1.58 kg/plant). Fruits showed rich colour and the maturation time (175.30 days) was delayed in those plants which were sprayed with GA3 20 ppm.
- Agrawal, S., and Dikshit, S.N. (2008). Studies on the effect of plant growth regulators on growth and yield of sapota (Achrassapota L.) cv. Cricket Ball. Indian J. Agric. Res.,42: 207-211.
- Alam, S.M. and Khan, M.A. (2002). Fruit yield of tomato as affected by NAA spray. Asian Journal of Plant Sci.,1: 24.
- Clark, J.R., Irvin, K.M. and Fernandez, G.E. (1998). Effect of gibberellic acid on seed traces of “Venus” and “Saturn” gapes. J. Small Fruit and Viticulture, 2: 11-19.
- Harhash, M.M and Obeed, R.S. Al. (2007). Effect of naphthalene acetic acid on yield and fruit quality of Barhee and Shahl Date palm cultivars. Assiut J. of Agric. Sci., 38: 63-73.
- Hesami, A. and Abdi, G. (2010). Effect of some plant growth regulators on physiochemical characteristics of Date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L. cv. Kabkab) fruit. American Eurasian J. Agric. and Environ. Sci.,7: 277-282.
- Khan, M.M.A., Gautam, C., Mohammad, F., Siddiqui, M.H., Naeem, M. and Khan M.N. (2006). Effect of gibberellic acid spray on performance of tomato. Turk J. Biol.,30: 11-16.
- Krishnamoorthy, H.N. (1985). Gibberellins. Plant growth substances, pp. 49-87.
- Latimer, J.G. (1992). Drought, peclobutrazol, abscisic acid and gibberellic acid as alternative to daminozide in tomato transplant product. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci., 117: 243-247.
- Mahmoud, H.M. (1989). The effect of GA3 and B-9 on the berry physical and chemical properties in “While Banaty” Seedless Grapevines. Assiut J. Agri. Sci., 20: 13-22.
- Mirinda-Stalder- SHG; BA-da-Gloria, PRC- Castro, GA-Da-Gloria (1990).Effect of growth regulators on morphological characteristics and productivity of strawberry “Sequoia”. Anais-da-Escola-Superior-de-Agriculute-‘Luiz-de- Queirez’.,47: 317-334; 4pl.
- Ozguven, AI.,Yilmaz, C., Hietaranta, T., Linna, M.M., Palonen, P. and Parikka, P. (2002). Proceedings of the Fourth International Strawberry Symposium, Tampere, Finland, July 9-14, 2000, volume 1. ActaHorticulturae, 1: 277-280.
- Paroussi, G., Voyiatzis, D.G., Paroussis, E., Drogoudi, P.D., Hietaranta, T., Linna, M.M., Palonen, P. and Parikka, P. (2002). Proceedings of the Fourth International Strawberry Symposium, Tampere, Finland, July 9-14, 2000, volume 1. ActaHorticulturae, 1: 273-276.
- Pundir J.P.S. and Yadav, P.K. (2001).Note on effect of GA3 NAA and 2, 4-D on growth, yield and quality of tomato var. “Punjab Chhuhara”. Current Agri. 25: 137-138.
- Rahemi, M. and Atahosseini, A. (2004). Effect of plant growth regulators on fruit characteristics and leaf area of pomegranate cv. Shisheh Cup. Acta Hort. (ISHS), 662: 313-318.
- Saleem, B.A., Malik, A.U., Pervez, M.A., Khan, A.S. and Khan, M.N. (2008). Spring application of growth regulators affects fruit quality of “Blood Red” sweet orange. Pak. J. Bot.,40: 1013-1023.
- Singh, A.K., Mughal, M.S. and Vachkoo, A.M. (2002). Effects of etheral and naphthaleneacetic acid on fruit quality and fruit drop of ‘Royal Delicious’ apple. IndianJ. Hort.,59: 355-358.
- Singh, R.P. and Chadha, T.R. (1990). Effect of bloom spray of growth regulators on flowering and productivity of Delicious apples. Ind. J. Hort., 47: 392-396.
- Southwick, S.M., Moran, R.E., Yeager, J.T. and Glozer, K. (2000). Use of gibberellin to delay maturity and improve fruit quality of “French prune”. J. of Hort. Sci. and Biotech.,75: 591-597.
- Wahdan, M.T., Habid, S.E., Bassal, M.A. and Qaoud, E.M. (2011). Effect of some chemicals on growth, fruiting, yield and fruit quality of “SuccaryAbiad” mango cv. J. of Amer. Sci., 7: 651-658.
- Wanyama, D.O., Wamocha, L.S., Nagamau, K. and Ssonkko, R.N. (2006). Effect of gibberellic acid on growth and fruit yield of greenhouse-grown cape gooseberry. African Crop Science Journal,14: 319-323.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.