Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Character association analysis in durum wheat (Triticum durum Desf.)
First Online 18-03-2016|
The present experiment has been designed to study the correlation and path coefficient analysis to identify the important character(s) for selection under different environmental conditions. The fifty durum wheat genotypes were grown in simple randomized block design experiment (RBD) as timely and late sowing for two years. The estimates of genotypic correlation coefficients were higher in magnitude than the estimates of phenotypic correlation coefficients for almost all the character combinations in all the environments. The grain yield showed significant and positive association with tiller number, biological yield and harvest index in all the environments; with plant height in E III and E IV; with days to maturity and 100 grain weight in E IV only. Path coefficient analysis identified biological yield and harvest index as most important characters which not only showed highest direct effect towards grain yield but almost all other character also showed indirect contribution towards grain yield via these two characters.
- Al-Jibouri, H.A.; Miller, P.A. and Robinson, H.F. (1958). Genotypic and environmental variances and co-variances in an upland cotton cross of inter-specific origin. Agron J., 50: 633-637.
- Bhagat, Randhawa, A.S. and Sharma, S.K. (2004). Path analysis in wheat. J .Res. PAU, 41:183-185.
- Deshmukh, P.B.; Wankhade, R.S.; Patil, R.K. and Atale, S.B. (2009). Path analysis in durum wheat. Ann. Plant Physiol. 23: 270-271.
- Dewey, D.R. and Lu, K.H. (1959). Correlation and path coefficient analysis of components of crested wheatgrass seed production. Agron. J. 51: 515-518.
- Farahani, E. and Arzani, A. (2007). Study of genetic diversity of cultivars and F1 hybrids of durum wheat using agronomic and morphological traits. J. Sci. Tech. Agric. Natural Resources, 10: 341-355.
- Grafius, J.F. (1959). Heterosis in barley. Agron J., 51: 551-554.
- Gupta, S.K.; Verma S.R. and Srivastava, R.B. (1997). Correlation and path analysis in durum wheat under normal and rainfed conditions. J. Res. HAU, 27: 161-165.
- Johnson, H.W.; Robinson, H.F.; and Comstock, R.E. (1955). Estimates of genetic and environmental variability in soybeans. Agron J., 47: 314-318.
- Palve, S.M. and Raghavaiah, P. (2002). Genetic variation and inter-relationship of agronomic traits in inter-specific derivatives of durum wheat (Triticum durum Desf.) Ann. Agric. Res., 23: 602-607.
- Robinson, H.F.; Comstock, R.E. and Harvery, P.H.(1951). Genotypic and phenotypic correlation in corn and their implication in selection. Agron J., 43: 262-267.
- Singh, T. and Sharma, R.K. (2007). Genetic variability, character association and bath analysis of yield and its components character in durum wheat. Prog. Agric. 7: 15-18.
- Wright, S. (1921). Correlation and causation. J. Agric. Res., 20: 557-587.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.