Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Prevalence of Nematodes in Rhizosphere of Kiwi Plants (Actinidia deliciosa Chev., 1984) in International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Knowledge Park, Godawari, Lalitpur, Nepal
First Online 10-11-2020|
Methods: Altogether 60 samples (30 from 20 cm depth and 30 from 30 cm depth) were examined from the Kiwi plants to detect the nematode distribution in Kiwi plants in ICIMOD, Godawari, Lalitpur, Nepal. Overall, 1510 individuals of 10 nematodes genera (both free living/beneficial and parasitic) belonging to four orders were found to be associated with Kiwi plants, among them the highest report was of order Mononchida (44.04%) which was followed by Rhabditida (33.44%), Dorylaimida (17.88%) and Tylenchida (4.64%). The number of nematodes were higher at 20 cm depth than at 30 cm depth. Iotonchus spp. was highest (32.68%) and the number of Helichotylenchus spp. (3.93%) and Mesorhabditis spp. (3.92) were lowest at 20 cm depth. Similarly, Iotonchus spp. was highest (20.13%) and the number of Discolaimus spp. (4.03%) was lowest at 30 cm depth.
- Beals, E. (1960). Forest bird communities in the Apostle Islands of Wisconsin. Willson Bull. 72: 156-181.
- Beutel, J.A. (1990). Kiwifruit production in California. Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
- Èerevková, A. (2011). Diversity and distribution of nematode communities in grassland in relation to its establishment age and utilization. In: Nematodes morphology, functions and management strategies. Nova Science Publishers, pp. 1-15.
- Chhetri, B. (2017). Comparative study of nematodes in rhizosphere soil of Kiwi plants in Central Horticulture Centre Kirtipur and Machchhegaun, Kathmandu, Nepal. M.Sc. Thesis. Central Department of Zoology, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Chhetri, B. (2019). Nematode fauna associated with Kiwi (Actinidia delicosa, Chev.) plants in Machchhegaun, Kathmandu, Nepal. Nepal Journal of Biotechnology. 7(1): 50-62; doi: https://doi.org/10.3126/njb.v7i1.26951.
- Chhetri, B. and Subedi, J.R. (2019). Nematodes associated with Kiwi Plants in Central Horticulture Centre Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal. International Journal of Applied Agricultural Sciences. 5(3): 71-74; doi: 10.11648/j.ijaas.20190503.12.
- Cobb, N.A. (1918). Estimating the nema population of soil. U.S. Department of Agricultural Technical Circular. 1: 48.
- Curl, E.A. (1963). Control of plant disease by crop rotation. The Botanical Review. 29: 13-479.
- Djigal, D., Brauman. A., Diop, T., Chotte, J.L. and Villenave, C. (2004). Influence of bacterial-feeding nematodes (Cephalobidae) on soil microbial communities during maize growth. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 36: 323-331.
- El-Borai, K.F. (2005). Plant parasitic nematodes in subtropical and tropical agriculture. 2nd Edition.
- FAO. (2005). Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. The importance of soil organic matter. Viale delle Terme di Caracalla, 00100 Rome, Italy. 64.
- Freckman, D.W. (1982). Nematodes in soil ecosystems. University of Texas Press, Austin, TX.
- Ingham, R.E. and Detling, J.K. (1984). Plant-herbivore interactions in a North American mixed-grass prairie. III. Soil nematode populations and root biomass on Cynomys ludovicianus colonies and adjacent uncolonized areas. Oecologia. 63: 307-313.
- Keshari, A.K., Manjur Shah, M. and Gupta, R. (2018). Community analysis of soil nematodes in vegetable growing areas of Dhading District, a high hill of Nepal. Journal of Applied and Advanced Research. 3(5): 156-160. Doi: http://dx. doi.org/10.21839/jaar.2018.v3i 5.234.
- McSorley, R. and Frederick, J.J. (1999). Nematode population fluctuations during decomposition of specific organic amendments. Journal of Nematology. 31(1): 37-44.
- Nepal Census 2001. (2008 September 3). Nepal’s village development committees. Digital Himalaya. Archived from the original on 2008-10-12.
- Nicol, J.M., Turner, S.J., Coyne, D.L., den Nijs, L., Hockland, S. and Tahna Maafi, Z. (2011). Current nematode threats to agriculture. In: Genomics and molecular genetics of plant-nematode interactions. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, pp. 21-43.
- Norton, D.C. (1978). Ecology of plant parasitic nematodes. New York: John Willey and Sons. pp268.
- Nusbaum, C.J. and Ferris, H. (1973). The role of cropping systems in nematode population management. Annual Review of Phytopathology. 11: 423-440.
- R Core Team. R. 2020. A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL https://www.R-project.org.
- Reyes, P.S. and Domingo, J. (1991). Mononchid nematodes from Spain. Description of Iotonchus rotundicaudatus sp. n. and observations on I. zschokkei (Menzel, 1913) Altherr, 1955. Review on Nematology. 14(3): 353-360.
- Samathanam, G.J. and Chawla, M.L. (1982). Community analysis of soil and plant parasitic nematodes of hilly areas of Southern districts of Tamil Nadu. Indian Journal of Nemotology. 12: 60-64.
- Seinhorst, J.W. (1959). A rapid method for the transfer of nematodes from fixative to anhydrous glycerin. Nematologica. 4: 67-69.
- Seinhorst, J.W. (1966). Killing of nematodes for taxonomic study with hot F.A. 4:1. Nematologica. 12:178.
- Singha, S., Singh, B. and Singh, A.P. (2015). Nematodes: a threat to sustainability of agriculture. Proceeding of the Environment Science. 29: 215 - 216.
- Smart, G.C. and Nguyen, K.B. (1988). Illustrated key for the identification of common nematodes in Florida. University of Florida Gainesville, Florida.
- Staniland, L. (1954). A modification of the Baermann Funnel Technique for the collection of nematodes from plant material. Journal of Helminthology. 28(1-2): 115-118. Doi: 10.1017/S0022149X00032739.
- UC IPM. (2019 November 2). UC pest management guidelines. http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/ r430200111.html.
- Wallace, H.R. (1973). Nematode ecology and plant disease. pp. 1-228.
- Watson, R.N., Wilson, E.A. and Marsden, R.S. (1992). Distribution of plant parasitic nematodes in the rhizosphere of Kiwi fruit. Acta Horticulturae. 297: 537-544; doi: 10.17660/ Acta Hortic. 1992.297.70.
- Wilson, E.H., Yichang, A.R., Ferguson, E.H. (2020 February 17). Wilson, Yichang and the Kiwifruit. http://arnoldia. arboretum. harvard.edu/pdf/articles/115 5.pdf.
- Xue, Q. (2013). Nematode diversity of soil and litter in mount Hamiguitan, the Philippines, with morphological and phylogenetic analysis of selected species. M.Sc. Thesis. Department of Biology, Ghent University, Ghent, B-9000, Belgium.
- Yeates, G.W., Bongers, T., de Goede, R.G.M., Freckman, D.W. and Georgieva, S.S. (1993). Feeding habits in soil nematode families and genera- an outline for soil ecologists. Journal of Nematology. 25: 315-331.
- Yeates, G.W. and Coleman, D.C. (1982). Nematodes in decomposition, In: D.W. Freckman (Ed.), Nematodes in soil ecosystems, University of Texas Press, Austin. pp 55-80
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.