Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Yield and Profitability Analysis of Pulse and Oil Seed Based Cropping Patterns against Aman- Boro- Fallow Cropping Systems in Magura
First Online 17-12-2020|
Methods: Five cropping patterns, CP1 = Transplanted Aman rice (cv. Binadhan-7)- Mustard (cv. Binasarisha-9)- Boro rice (cv. Binadhan-14); CP2 = T.Aman (cv. Binadhan-16)-Mustard (cv. Binasarisha-10)- Boro (cv. Binadhan-14); CP3 = T.Aman (cv. Binadhan-17) -Mustard (cv. Binasarisha-10)- Boro (cv. Binadhan-14); CP4 = T.Aman (cv. Binadhan-17)- Lentil (cv. Binamasur-8)- Sesame (cv. Binatil-3) and CP5 (Control) - Aman (cv. Shorna) – Boro (cv. Heera) - fallow were assessed to identify the most suitable and profitable pattern as well as to enhance the cropping intensity by adding a pulse or oil seed crop between two rice crops. The investigation was conducted at farmer’s field of Magura during 2018-19. Block farming method was followed for experiment set up.
Result: It was revealed that, maximum rice equivalent yield (REY) was obtained from CP1 (14.46 t/ha) followed by CP4 (13.52 t/ha), CP3 (13.35 t/ha), CP2 (13.09 t/ha) and CP5 (11.33 t/ha) during one year crop cycle. Highest gross margin (Tk. 1,90,189) and MBCR (1.83) was obtained from the cropping pattern CP4 and the lowest gross margin (Tk. 69,271) and MBCR (1.24) was found with the pattern CP5. Based on the above results it can be suggested that, Aman rice-Lentil-Sesame pattern i.e. CP4 may be a best choice for the farmers of Magura region for the maximum utilization of their land and gaining more profit compared to the other studied cropping patterns.
- Adarsh, S., Jacob, J. and Giffy, T. (2019). Role of Pulses in Cropping Systems: A Review. Agricultural Reviews.40(3): 185-191. DOI: 10.18805/ag.R-1888.
- Ahmed, Z. and Kashem, M. (2017). Performance of Mustard Varieties in haor Area of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Agronomy Journal. 20(1): 1-5. DOI: 10.3329/baj.v20i1. 34875.
- Ahmed, S., Jahiruddin, M., Sultana, R., Begum, R.A., Biswas, J.C., Rahman, A.S.M.M., Ali, M.M., Islam, K.M.S., Hossain, M.M., Gani, M.N., Hossain, G.M.A and Satter, M.A. (2018). Fertilizer Recommendation Guide-2018. Bangladesh Agricultural Council (BARC), Farmgate, Dhaka 1215. ISBN: 984-500-029-1. pp: 12, 17.
- Ali, M.H. (2018). Effect of Different Durations of Water-Logging at Different Growth Stages on Seed Yield of Sesame. International Journal of Applied Science. 1(2): 68-76. DOI: 10.30560/ijas.v1n2p68.
- BARC (Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council), (2020a). Suitability Map of Lentil [Magura], http://cropzoning. barcapps.gov.bd/homes/district/7/27.
- BARC, (2020b). Suitability Map of Mustard [Magura], http://cropzoning. barcapps.gov.bd/homes/district/9/27.
- BARI (Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute), (2017). Krishi Projukti Hatboi (Handbook on Agro-Technology), 7th edition, Gazipur-1701, Bangladesh.
- BINA (Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture), (2019a). Weather status, HOBOlink Magura, https://www.hobolink. com/p/e2f4fc30ce0faae90bce2a0dfd200866 <17th October 2019.
- BINA, (2019b). Annual Report for 2018-2019. Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture, BAU Campus, Mymensingh-2202. pp: 7-485.
- Chowhan, S., Gupta, R., Islam, M.M and Begum, S.N. (2018). Evaluation of NERICA rice mutant in Jhum cultivation. International Journal of Agronomy and Agricultural Research. 12(2): 24-31.
- Chowhan, S., Haider, M.R., Hasan, A.F.M.F., Hoque, M.I., Kamruzzaman, M. and Gupta, R. (2017). Comparative on farm performance of five modern rice varieties with two local cultivars. Journal of Bioscience and Agriculture Research. 13(01):1074-1086. DOI: 10.18801/jbar.1301 17.131.
- Chowhan, S., Hoque, M.I., Ghosh, S.R., Islam, M and Akter, M.B. (2019). Effect of variety and seedling number on the growth and yield of boro rice in Bangladesh. Journal of Experimental Agriculture International, 41(6): 1-15. DOI: 10.9734/jeai/2019/v41i630436.
- DAE (Department of Agricultural Extension), (2019). Annual Report of Deputy Director Office, DAE, Khamarbari, Dhaka Road, Magura, Bangladesh. pp: 3-5.
- Das, S., Ali, M.M., Rahman, M.H., Khan, M.R., Hossain, A., Sabagh, A.E.L., Barutcular, C and Akdeniz, C. (2018). Soil test based with additional nutrients increased the fertility and productivity of wheat-mungbean-T. Aman rice cropping pattern in the High Ganges River Floodplain soils of Bangladesh. Bulgarian Journal of Agricultural Science. 24(6): 992-1003.
- FAO, (2016). Survey Calendar Expectations from Agriculture Census, http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/rap/files/meetings /2016/160801_BGD_SurveyCalendar_Expectations_ from_Ag_Census_by_DAE.pdf.
- FRG (Fertilizer Recommendation Guide), (2012). BARC, Farmgate, Dhaka-1215. ISBN: 978-984-500-000-0, pp: 80-109.
- Haque, M., Bala, P. and Azad, A. (2015). Performance of lentil varities as influenced by different Rhizobium innoculations. Bangladesh Agronomy Journal. 17(1): 41-46. DOI: 10. 3329/baj.v17i1.23675.
- Hossain, I., Mondal, M., Islam, M., Aziz, M., Khan, A and Begum, F. (2015). Four crops based cropping pattern studies for increasing cropping intensity and productivity in Rajshahi region of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Agronomy Journal. 17(2): 55-60. DOI: 10.3329/baj.v17i2.24652.
- Hossain, M., Bhowal, S., Bashir, M and Khan, A. (2018). Productivity and Profitability of Four Crops Based Cropping Pattern in Cumilla Region of Bangladesh. The Agriculturists. 16(02): 88-92. DOI: 10.3329/agric.v16i02.40346.
- Islam, M., Nath, L.K. and Samajdar, T. (2018a). Sustainable diversification of maize (Zea mays L.) -legumes cropping systems for productivity, profitability and resource-use efficiency in West Garo Hills of Meghalaya, India. Legume Research. (OnlineFirstArticle). DOI: 10.18805/LR-3970.
- Islam, A., Shahidullah, S., Mostafizur, A and Saha, A. (2018b). Diversity of Cropping Pattern in Bogra. Bangladesh Rice Journal. 21(2): 73-90. DOI: 10.3329/brj.v21i2.38197.
- Kamrozzaman, M., Khan, M., Ahmed, S and Quddus, A. (2016). On-farm evaluation of production potential and economics of Wheat-Jute-T.aman rice-based cropping system. Journal of the Bangladesh Agricultural University. 13(1): 93-100. DOI: 10.3329/jbau.v13i1.28724.
- Khatun, M., Biswas, P., Hasan, M.M., Karim, N and Amin, M. (2015). Yield of three newly developed mustard varieties as affected by irrigation at different growth stages. Research in Agriculture Livestock and Fisheries. 2(2): 197-206. DOI: 10.3329/ralf.v2i2.24999.
- Khatun, M., Biswas, P., Hasan, M.M., Karim, N.N and Amin, M.G.M. (2015). Yield of three newly developed mustard varieties as affected by irrigation at different growth stages. Res. Agric. Livest. Fish. 2 (2): 197- 206.
- Paul, S.K., Khatun, M.M. and Sarkar, M.A.R. (2019). Effect of sulphur on the seed yield and oil content of sesame (Sesamum indicum L.). Journal of Bangladesh Agricultural University. 17(1): 33-38. DOI: 10.3329/jbau.v17i1.40660.
- Rahman, M. and Islam, M. (2019). Development of alternate cropping pattern Mustard -Boro -T.aman against fallow - Boro- T. Aman in Kushtia region. Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Research. 44(1): 69-78. DOI: 10.3329/bjar. v44i1.40905.
- Singh, N.A., Sorokhaibam, S., Yumnam, S. and Konsam, J. (2019). Enhancing Pulse Productivity under Rice Based Production System Through Chickpea and Lentil Based Intercropping Systems in North East India. Legume Research. (Online FirstArticle). DOI: 10.18805/LR-4203.
- TBS (The Business Standard), (2020). Bina Mustard-10 can meet country’s edible oil demand, https://tbsnews.net/economy /agriculture/bina-mustard-10-can-meet-countrys-edible- oil-demand-48712.
- Tiongco, M. and Hossain, M. (2015). Adoption of Modern Varieties and Rice Varietal Diversity on Household Farms in Bangladesh, HarvestPlus Working Paper No. 22. p: 22.
- Verma, S.P. and Modgal, S.C. (1983). Production potential and economics of fertilizer application as resources constraints in maize, wheat crop sequence. Himachal Journal of Agricultural Research. 9(2):89-92.
- World Population Review, (2019). Bangladesh Population, http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/bangladesh-population/.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.