Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Morpho-Physiological Traits of Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) for Post-Flowering Drought Resistance
First Online 18-03-2020|
- Anyia, A.O. and Herzog, H. (2004). Water-use efficiency, leaf area and leaf gas exchange of cowpeas under mid-season drought. European Journal of Agronomy. 20: 327-339.
- Asredie, S., Donald, H., Walter, D.J., Keith, P., David, W., Fentahun Mengstu and Schuiz, S. (2015). Potato variety diversity, determinants and implications for potato breeding strategy in Ethiopia. American Journal of Potato Research. 92:551-566.
- Bogale, A., Tesfaye, K. and Geleto T. (2011). Morphological and physiological attributes associated to drought resistance of Ethiopian durum wheat genotypes under water deficit condition. Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences. 1:22-36.
- Deblonde, P.M.K. and Ledent, J.F. (2001). Effects of moderate drought conditions on green leaf number, stem height, leaf length and tuber yield of potato cultivars. European Journal of Agronomy. 14: 31-41.
- Deguchi, T., Naya, T., Wangchuk, P., Itoh, E., Matsumoto, M., Zheng, X., Gopal, J. and Iwama, K. (2010). Aboveground characteristics, yield potential and drought resistance in Konyu potato cultivars with large root mass. Potato Research. 53: 331-340.
- Eldredge, E.P., Holmes, Z.A., Mosley, A.R., Shock, C. C. and Stieber, T. D. (1996). Effects of transitory water stress on potato tuber stem-end reducing sugar and fry color. American Potato Journal. 73: 517 -530.
- Fekadu, A. Petros, Y. and Zeleke, H. (2013). Genetic variability and association between agronomic characters in some potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) genotypes in SNNPRS, Ethiopia. International Journal of Biodiversity and Conservation. 5: 523-528.
- Fleisher, D.H., Timlin, D.J. and Reddy, V.R. (2008). Interactive effects of carbon dioxide and water stress on potato canopy growth and development. Agronomy Journal. 100: 711-719.
- Gregory, P.J. and Simmonds, L.P. (1992). Water relations and growth of potatoes. pp. 214-246. In: The Potato Crop: The Scientific Basis for Improvement, 2nd ed, [Harris, P.M. (Ed.)], Chapman and Hall, London.
- Gumul, D., Ziobro, R., Noga, M. and Sabat. R. (2011). Characterization of five potato cultivars according to their nutritional and pro-health components. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum, Technologia Alimentaria. 10: 73-81.
- Johnson, H. W., Robinson, H. F. and Comstock, R. E. (1955). Estimation of genetic and environmental variability in soyabean. Agronomy Journal. 47: 314-318.
- Kumar, S., Asrey, R. and Mandal, G. (2007). Effect of differential irrigation regimes on potato (Solanum tuberosum) yield and post-harvest attributes. Indian Journal of Agricultural Science. 77: 366-368.
- Kirnak, H., Kaya, C., Tas, I. and Higgs, D. (2001). The influence of water deficit on vegetative growth, physiology, fruit yield and quality in eggplants. Bulgarian Journal of Plant Physiology. 27: 34-46.
- Kleinkopf, G.E., Westermann, D.T., Wille, M.J. and Kleinscmidt, G.D. (1987). Specific gravity of Russet Burbank potatoes. American Potato Journal. 64: 579- 587.
- Lahlou, O., Ouattar, S. and Ledent, J.F. (2003). The effect of drought and cultivar on growth parameters, yield and yield components of potato. Agronomie, EDP Sciences. 23: 257-268.
- Levy, D. (1983). Varietal differences in the response of potatoes to repeated short periods of water stress in hot climates. Potato Research. 26: 315-321.
- Levy, D., Fogelman, E., Itzhak, Y., Ma, Q., Turner, D.W. and Cowling W.A. (2006). Osmotic adjustment in leaves of Brassica oil seeds in response to water deficit. Canadian Journal of Plant Science. 86: 389-397.
- Luitel, B.P., Khatri, B.B., Choudhary, D., Paudel, B.P., Sung Jung- Sook, S.J., Hur, O.S., et al (2015). Growth and yield characters of potato genotypes grown in drought and irrigated conditions of Nepal. International Journal of Applied Science and Biotechnology. 3(3): 513-519.
- Mahmud, A., Hossain, M., Bazzaz, M., Khan, S., Hossain, A. and Kadian, M.S. (2014). Tuber yield, tuber quality and plant water status of potato under drought and well-watered condition. World Journal of Science Frontier Research. 14: 2249-4626.
- Mensah, J.K., Obadoni, B.O., Eroutor, P.G. and Onome-Irieguna, F. (2006). Simulated flooding and drought effects on germination, growth and yield parameters of Sesame (Sesamum indicum L.). African Journal of Biotechnology. 5: 1249-1253.
- Maralian, H., Nasrollahzadeh, S., Yaegoob, Raiyi, Y. and Hassanpanah, D. (2014). Responses of potato genotypes to limited irrigation. International Journal of Agronomy and Agricultural Research. 5(5): 13-19.
- Mir, R.R., Zaman-Allah M., Sreenivasulu, N., Trethowan, R. and Varshney, R.K. (2012). Integrated genomics, physiology and breeding approaches for improving drought tolerance in crops. Theoretical and Applied Genetics. 125:625–645.
- MoA (Ministry of Agriculture). (2015). Plant variety release, protection and seed quality control Directorate, Crop variety register. Issue No. 17. MoA, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Muchow R.C. (1985). Phenology, seed yield and water use of grain legumes grown under different soil water regimes in a semi- arid tropics environment. Field Crops Research. 11: 81-97.
- Pennisi, E. (2008). The blue revolution, drop by drop, gene by gene. Science. 320: 171–173.
- Rana U. and Chaudhary S. (2013). Physiological evaluation of brassica species differing in drought tolerance. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 47 (3): 200 – 206.
- Saravia, D., Vignolo, E.R., Gutiérrez, R., De Mendiburu, F., Schafleitner, R., Bonierbale, M. and Khan, A.M. (2016). Yield and physiological response of potatoes indicate different strategies to cope with drought stress and nitrogen fertilization. American Journal of Potato Research. 93: 288–295.
- Schittenhelm, S., Sourell, H. and Lopmeier, F. J. (2006). Drought resistance of potato cultivars with contrasting canopy architecture. European Journal of Agronomy. 24:193-202.
- Schonfeld, M.A., Johnson, R.C., Carwer, B.F. and Mornhinweg, D.W. (1988). Water relations in winter wheat as drought resistance indicators. Crop Science. 28: 526-531.
- Shi, S., Fan, M., Iwama, K., Li, F., Zhang, Z. and Jia, L. (2015). Physiological basis of drought resistance in potato grown under long term water deficiency. International Journal of Plant Production. 9(2): 1735-6814.
- Thiele, G., Theisen, K., Bonierbale, M. and Walker, T. (2010). Targeting the poor and hungry with potato science. Potato Journal. 37: 75–86.
- Turner, N.C. (1974). Stomatal behavior and water status of maize, sorghum and tobacco under field conditions: at low soil water potential. Plant Physiology. 53:360-365.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.