Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Characterization of compost as affected by manipulation of C/N ratio
First Online 18-03-2016|
An aerobic composting experiment was conducted for 91 days in the laboratory of the Department of Soil and Environment Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum, Sudan to investigate the effects of three levels of C/N ratio on some physico-chemical properties of final compost from sheep manure (C/N 15.9), groundnut straw (C/N ratio 25.9) and their mixture (C/N ratio 18.3). Increase in C/N ratio of materials had consistently resulted in an increase in pH, increase of the final compost and the increase was 5, 36 and 68%, respectively. Total N, P, K, Mg, pH, WHC and bulk density were increased in final compost whereas organic C, lignin, polyphenol and C/N ration showed variable reduction. Characterization of final compost generally depends on initial C/N ratio of the materials used.
- Adediran, A., Taiwo, L.B. and Sobulo, R.A. (2003). Effect of organic wastes and method of composting on compost maturity, nutrient composition of compost and yields of two vegetable crops. J. Sust. Agric. 22: 95-109.
- Aggelides, S.M. and Londra, P.A. (2000). Effects of compost produced from town wastes and sewage sludge on the physical properties of a loamy and a clay soil. Bioreso. Tech. 71: 253–259.
- Bachman, G.R. and Metzger, J.D. (2007). Physical and chemical characteristics of a commercial potting substrate amended with vermicompost produced from two different manure sources. Horttechnology 17: 336–340.
- Bhamidimarri, S.M.R. and Pandey, S.P. (1996). Aerobic thermophilic composting solid wastes. Water Sci. Technol. 33: 89-94.
- Cayuela, M.L., Mondini, C., Insam, H., Sinicco, T. and Franke-Whittle, I. (2009). Plant and animal wastes composting: effects of the N source on process performance. Bioreso. Tech.100: 3097–3106.
- Curtis, M.J. and Claassen, V.P. (2005). Compost incorporation increases plant available water in a drastically disturbed serpentine soil. Soil Sci. 170: 939–953.
- Eklind, Y. and Kirchmann, H. (2000). Composting and storage of organic household waste with different litter amendments. II: nitrogen turnover and losses. Bioreso. Tech. 74: 125-133.
- Flynn, R.P. and Wood, C.W. (1996). Temperature and chemical changes during composting of broiler litter. Compost Sci. Util. 3: 62–70.
- Estévez-Schwarz, I., Seoane-Labandeira, S., Núñez-Delgado, A. and López-Mosquera, M.E. (2012). Production and characterization of compost made from garden and other waste. Pol. J. Environ. Stud. 21: 855-864.
- Guo, R., Li, G., Jiang, T., Schuchardt, F., Chen, T., Zhao, Y., Shen, Y. (2012). Effect of aeration rate, C/N ratio and moisture content on the stability and maturity of compost. Bioreso. Tech.112: 171-178.
- Hernádez, T., Garcia, E. and García, C. (2015). A strategy for marginal semiarid degraded soil restoration: A sole addition of compost at a high rate. A five-year field experiment. Soil Biol. Bichem. 89: 61-71.
- Huang, G.F., Wong, J.W.C., Wu, Q.T. and Nagar, B.B. (2004). Effect of C/N ratio on composting of pig manure with sawdust. Waste Manage. 24: 805-813.
- Karak, T., Bhattacharyya, P. and Paul, R.K. (2014). Assessment of co-compost quality by physico-chemical and exploratory data analysis. Clean-Soil Air Water 42: 836-848.
- Macci, C., Doni, S., Peruzzi, E., Masciandaro, G., Mennone, C. and Ceccanti, B. (2012). Almond tree and organic fertilization for soil quality improvement in southern Italy. J. Environ. Manag. 95: 5215-5222.
- Makan, A. M. and Mountadar. (2013). Effect of C/N ratio on the in-vessel composting under air pressure of organic fraction of municipal solid waste in Morocco. J. Mat. Cyc. Waste Manag. 14: 241-249.
- Michel, F.C., Forney, L.J., Huang, A.J.F., Drew, S., Czuprendski, M., Lindeberg, J.D. and Reddy, C.A. (1996). Effects of turning frequency, leaves to grass mix ratio and windrow vs. pile configuration on the composting of yard trimmings. Compost Sci. Util. 4: 126-143.
- Mubarak, A.R. and El Amin, A.E. (2007) Sudanese potentials of organic fertilizers. Sudanese Standards and Meterology Organization (SSMO) Conference, October 3-5, Khartoum, Sudan 2007. (In Arabic).
- Nasiru, A., N. Ismail, N. and M.H. Ibrahim. (2013). Vermicomposting: tool for sustainable ruminant manure management. J. Waste Manage. (2013), Article ID 732759, pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/732759.
- Nguyen, T.T. and Marschner, P. (2013). Addition of a fine-textured soil to compost to reduce nutrient leaching in a sandy soil. Soil Res. 51: 232–239.
- Nolan, T., Troy, S. M., Healy, M.G., Kwapinski, W., Leahy, J.J. and Lawlor, P.G. (2011). Characterization of compost produced from separated pig manure and a variety of bulking agents at low initial C/N ratios. Bioreso. Tech. 102: 7131-7138.
- Ogunwande, G.A., Osunade, J.A., Adekalu, K.O. and Ogunjimi, L.O.A. (2008). Nitrogen loss in chicken litter compost as affected by carbon to nitrogen ratio and turning frequency. Bioreso. Tech. 99: 7495-7503.
- Raviv, M. (2011). The future of composts as ingredients of growing media. Acta Hortic.: 891: 19–32.
- SAS Institute Inc. (1999). SAS/STAT User’s Guide, Version 8, Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc.
- Tejada, M., Hernandez, M.T. and Garcia, C. (2009). Soil restoration using composted plant residues: Effects on soil properties. Soil Till. Res. 102: 109–117.
- Tian, G., Brussaard, L. and Kang., B.T. (1995). An index for assessing the quality of plant residues and evaluating their effects on soil and crop in the sub-humid tropics. App. Soil Ecol. 2: 25–32.
- van Soest, P.J. and Robertson, J.B. (1985). Analysis of Forages and Fibrous Foods: a Laboratory Manual for Animal Sciences. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- Vyssides, A.G., Mai, S. and Barampouti, E.M. (2009). An integrated mathematical model for co-composting of agricultural solid wastes with industrial wastewater. Bioresource Tech. 100: 4797-4806.
- Weber, J., Karczewska, A., Drozd, J., Licznar, M., Licznar, S., Jamroz, E. and Kocowicz, A. (2007). Agricultural and ecological aspects of a sandy soil as affected by the application of municipal solid waste composts. Soil Biol. Biochem. 39: 1294–1302.
- Zhao, X.I., Li, B., Ni, J. and Xie, D. (2016). Effects of four crop straws on transformation of organic matter during sewage sludge compsting. J. Integrative Agric. 15: 232-240.
- Zhang, C., Li, S., Zhang, L., Xin, X. and liu, X. (2013). Litter mixing significantly affects decomposition in the Hulun Buir meadow steppe of Inner Mongolia, China. J. Plant Ecol. Adv. Access.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.