EFFECT OF POTASSIUM AND SPLIT APPLICATION OF NITROGEN ON YIELD ATTRIBUTES AND YIELD OF SOYBEAN [GLYCINE MAX (L.) MERRILL]
Citation :- EFFECT OF POTASSIUM AND SPLIT APPLICATION OF NITROGEN ON YIELD ATTRIBUTES AND YIELD OF SOYBEAN [GLYCINE MAX (L.) MERRILL].Agricultural Science Digest.2013.(33):264-268
A field experiment under varied nutrient management and different time of N application was conducted during kharif 2007 and 2008 at Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhianato study the effect of N application at different growth stages and potassium application on growth and yield of soybean. The experiment included fourteen treatments comprising of three levels of N (0, 30 and 45 kg/ha) along with two levels of potassium (0 and 30 kg K2O/ha) tested at two different growth stages viz. pre-flowering and pod filling in randomized block design with four replications. Higher seed yield (25.1 q ha-1 and 24.8 q ha-1 during 2007 and 2008 respectively) was obtained with treatment T8 (20 kg N ha-1 at sowing + 10 kg N ha-1 at pod filling + 30 kg K2O ha-1 at sowing) indicating the beneficial effect of split application of nitrogen along with potassium. The increase in the growth and yield attributes resulted in the higher seed yield of soybean, which was significantly higher than all other treatments. Application of nitrogen in two splits i.e. at pre-flowering and pod filling stage with or without potassium had beneficial effect on growth and yield of soybean as compared with single dose applied at either of the stages.
- Ashour, N I and Thalooth, A T (1983) Effect of soil and foliar application of nitrogen during pod development on the yield of soybean (Glycine max L. Merrill) plants. Field Crops Res 6: 261-66.
- Gan, Y B; Tu- X W and Tian; R J (2003) Study on optimum timing of nitrogen application to soybeans. Soybean Sci 17: 287-91.
- Grewal, H S; Kolar, J S and Singh, D (1994) Effect of potassium and nitrogen on growth and yield of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merrill). J Pot Res 10: 173-77.
- Jones, G D; Lutz, J A and Smith, T J (1977) Effect of phosphorous and potassium on soybean nodules and seed yield. Agron J 69: 1003-6.
- Krishnamohan, K. and Rao, L M (1998) Effect of Bradyrhizobium japonicum strains and N on growth, N2 and yield of soybean genotypes during monsoon seasons. J Res ANGARU 26:28-32.
- Prahraj, C S (1994) Growth and productivity of soybean (Glycine max L. Merrill) as affected by interacting influence of Rhizobium, nitrogen and potassium and herbicide use; and their residual effect on wheat. Ph.D. Dissertation, PAU, Ludhiana.
- Ramakrishna, R T; Rao, M and Rao, R (1990) Response of soybean to nitrogen and phosphorous on growth and yield of soybean. Indian J Agron. 35: 308-10
- Sekhon, H, S; Kaul, J N and Dhingra, K K (1990) Effect of some agronomic practices on the biological nitrogen fixation in pulses. In : [Somani L L, Bhandari S C, Vyas K K and Saxena S N (Eds)] Biofertilizers, Scientific Pub. Jodhpur, Pp 85-154
- Sinha, S K (1977) Food Legumes, Distribution, Adaptability and Biology of yield. FAO Plant Production and Protection paper 3, AGPC Misc 36: 89-90.
- Tisdale, G L and Nelson, W L, (1975) Soil Fertility and Fertilizers. The McMillan Company Collier. McMillan Ltd., London. Pp. 71-73