DETERMINATION OF ROOT DISTRIBUTION IN POMEGRANATE BY ROOT EXCAVATION TECHNIQUE
Citation :- DETERMINATION OF ROOT DISTRIBUTION IN POMEGRANATE BY ROOT EXCAVATION TECHNIQUE.Agricultural Science Digest.2013.(33):142-145
Distribution of various types of roots at different radial distances and depths was studied using the root excavation technique in four year old pomegranate trees. The distribution of root pattern was influenced by the distance from tree trunk, soil depth and the season of excavation. It was recorded that root density was found maximum at nearest radial distance from tree trunk i.e. 0-60 cm (83.77 % and 83.29 % during post rainy and spring season, respectively) and an increase in distance from the tree trunk resulted in reduction of root density considerably. During post rainy season, roots were found maximum at 0 to 25 cm followed by 25 to 50 cm and 50 to 75 cm soil depths. Same results obtained in spring season. The feeder roots were recorded higher in post rainy season compare to spring season.
- iyappa, K.M. and Srivastava, K.C. (1965). Studies on root system of Coorg mandarin seedling trees. India Journal of Horticulture, 22: 122-130.
- Bhatnagar, P. and Chandra, A. (2001). Studies on rooting pattern of ber cv. Gola by root excavation. Current Agriculture, p. 25.
- Chandra, A. and Yamdagni, R. (1983). Maturity studies in Kinnow under the Hissar conditions Agriculture Science Digest, 3 : 113-114.
- Chandra, A. and Yamdagi, R (1997) Determination of root distribution in Kinnow- a hybrid mandarin by root excavation, Haryana J. Hort. Sci. 26: 188-194.
- Ford, H.W. (1954). Root distribution in relation to water table Proc. Fla. St. Hort. Soc., 67: 30-33.
- Kolesnikov, V. (1971). The root system of fruit trees. M.I.R. Publ., Moscow (Russia) : 41-81.
- Mellado, L. and Caballero, R. (1974). Studies on the distribution of active roots in orange trees using 32 P. Anales del Instituto Nacional de Invest., 4 : 94-121.
- Pareek, O.P. and Vashishtha, B.B. (1983). Ber – Delicious varieties of Rajasthan. Indian Horticulture, 28 : 13-16.
- Rohitash (2007) Role of soil nutrient content and fruit yield of aonla. M.sc. Thesis Rajasthan Agric. university, Bikaner.
- Singh, B. and Chandra, A. (2009). Studies on rooting pattern of acid lime by root excavation. Annals of Agriculture Research, 30 : 13