MICRO PROPAGATION OF CARRIZO (CITRUS CARRIZO) THROUGH MATURE BUD CULTURE
Citation :- MICRO PROPAGATION OF CARRIZO (CITRUS CARRIZO) THROUGH MATURE BUD CULTURE.Agricultural Science Digest.2013.(33):109-113
The influence of the basal medium and different plant growth regulators on micropropagation of nodal explants from mature trees Carrizo cultivars were investigated. Although the basal medium did not affect. several combinations of 6-benzyl amino purine (BAP) and gibberellic acid (GA3) were used to optimise the proliferation phase. The number of shoots was dependent on the BAP and GA3 concentrations and the best results were obtained with BAP 1 mg /L + GA3 1 mg/L. Explants length was shorter with the higher BAP concentrations and, shoot length was greater with increasing levels of GA3. The best results for productivity (number of shoots 7.9 and the average shoot length 3.0 cm) were obtained with 1 mg/L BAP and 1 mg/L GA3, although explants with narrow leaves were observed. The presence of BAP and GA3 in the proliferation medium was essential for the explants multiplication but BAP had a greater influence in shoot multiplication and GA3 influence in elongation of shoots.
Plant growth regulators
- Al-Bahrany, A.M. (2002). Effect of photohormones on in vitro shoot multiplication and rooting of lime (Citrus aurentifolia Christm.) Swing. Scientia Horticulture 95 : 285-295.
- Al-Khayri, J.M. and Al-Bahrany, A.M. (2001). In vitro micro-propagation of Citrus aurantifolia. Curr. Sci. 81,1242-46.
- Altaf, N (2006) In vitro bud culture of kinnow tree. Pak. J. Bot., 38: 597-601.
- Altman, A. and Goren, R. (1978). Development of citrus bud explants in culture. J. Am. Soc. Horti. Sci. 103 : 120-23.
- Baruah, A., Nagaraju, V. and Parthasarathy, V. A. (1996). Micro-propagation of three endangenered citrus species-2, rooting ex vitro, Ann. of Plant Physiol. 10: 129-32.
- Belouly, N. (1991). Plant regeneration from callus cultures of three citrus rootstocks. Plant Cell Tissue Org Cult 24: 29- 34.
- Bowman, K.D. (1994). Micro-propagation of smooth flat Seville and Yuma citrus rootstocks. Fla State Hort Soc 107 : 15-18.
- Duran-Vila, N., Chambra, M., Medina, V., Ortega, C. and Navarro, L. (1989). Growth and morphogenesis of citrus tissue cultures infected with citrus tristeza virus and citrus infectious variegation virus. Phytopath 79 : 820-26.
- Duran-Vila N., Gogorcena, Y., Ortega, V., Ortiz, J. and Navarro, L. (1992).
- Morphogenesis and tissue culture of sweet orange (Citrus sinensis (L) Osb.) : Effect of temperature and photosynthetic radiation. Plant cell Tiss Org Cult 29 : 11-18.
- El-Morsy, A. A. and Millet, B. (1996). Rhythmic growth and optimization of micro-propagation The effect of excision time and position of auxiliary buds on in vitro culture of citrus aurantium L. Ann Bot 78 : 197-202.
- Kotsias, D and Roussous, P. A. (2001) An investigation on the effect of different plant growth regulating compounds in in vitro shoot tip and node culture of lemon seedlings. Department of Pomology, Agricultural University of Athens, Iera Odos 75, Botanikos 118 55, Athens, Greece.
- Kour, K., Bakshi, P. and Kher, R. (2007). Studies on micro-propagation of rough lemon. Indian J. Horti. 64 : 454-455.
- Karwa, A. (2003). In vitro propagation of Citrus reticulata Blanco (Nagpur mandarin). Indian. J. Genet. , 63 : 187 - 188.
- Murashige, T. and Skoog F.. (1962). A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with Tobacco tissue culture. Physiologia Plantarum, 15 (5) : 473-497.
- Otoni, W.C. and Teixeira, S. L. (1991). Influence of the length and position of juvenile nodal segments obtained from Citrus sinensis (L.) Osb. Cv. Pera mother plants on axillary bud multiplication. Revista Ceres 38 : 474-84.
- Parthasarathy, V.A. and Nagaraju, V. (1993). Effect of growth regulators in transplanted embryoids of Citrus reticulata Blanco. Ann. Plant Physiol. 7 : 21-24.
- Sas-Sertkaya, G. and Cinae A.. (1999). Detection of a new medium for in vitro bud culture of Citrus. Turkish J. Agri Forestry, 23: Suppl. 2, 333-339.
- Singh, S., Roy, B. K., Bhattacharya, S. and Deka, P. C. (1994). In vitro propagation of Citrus reticuleta Blanco and Citrus limon Burm. Hort Sci. 29 (3) : 214 – 216.
- Sudhersan, C., Aboel Nil, M. and Hussain, J. (2001) In vitro propagation of Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk cv Umran, Curr. Scie., 80: 220-222.
- Syamal, M.M., Upadhyay, S., and Biswas, B. (2007). in vitro clonal propagation of kagzi lime (Citrus aurantifolia Swingle) Indian J. of Hortic. 64 84 : 86.
- Thakur, P.S., Gnorade, R.B. and Rathod, T.H. (2004). Micro propagation studies in Gerbera. Ann Plant Physiol. 18 : 133-135.
- Tornero, O. P., Tallo, C. I., and Porras, N. I. (2010) An efficient protocol for micropropagation of lemon (Citrus limon) from mature nodal segments Plant Cell Tissue Organ Culture. 100:263–271.