Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Estrus Detection Methods in Dairy Animals- Advances and the Prospects: A Review
First Online 10-04-2021|
- Aminian, K.A. and Bijan, J. (2004). Capturing human motion using body-fixed sensors: Outdoor measurement and clinic applications. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds. 15: 79-94.
- At-Taras, E.E. and Spahr, S.L. (2001). Detection and characterization of estrus in dairy cattle with an electronic heat mount detector and an electronic activity tag. Journal of Dairy Sci. 4: 792-798.
- Bailey, C.L., Prado-Cooper, M.J. Wright, E.C. and Wetteman. R.P. (2009). Relationship of rumen temperature with estrus in beef cows. Journal of Animal Sci. 87(2): 550.
- Bar, D. (2010). Optimal timing of insemination using activity collars. In Proceedings of the First North American conference on precision dairy management, Toronto, Canada. pp100.
- Boyd, H.W. (1984). Aids to estrous detection- A review. In Dairy cow fertility. Proc. Joint Brit. Vet. Assoc. and Brit. Soc. Anim. Prod. Conf., Bristol, U.K . pp 61-67.
- Brehme, U., Stollberg, U. Holz, R. and Schleusener, T. (2008). ALT pedometer-New sensor-aided measurement system for improvement in oestrus detection. Computer Electroic Agric. 62: 73-80.
- Brizuela, C. (2010). Use of a monitor to predict dairy cow health and oestrus. Harper Adams University College Report. 52: 1-2.
- Burns, P.D., Wailes, W.R. and Baker, P.B. (2002). Changes in reticular and rectal temperature during the periestrous period in cows. Journal of Animal Sci. 80(2): 128.
- Cooper-Prado, M.J., Long, N.M., Wright, E.C., Goad, C.L and Wettemann, R.P. (2011). Relationship of ruminal temperature with parturition and estrus of beef cows. Journal of Animal Sci. 89: 1020-1027.
- Dieleman, S.J., Bevers, M.M., Van Tol, H.T.M. and Willemse, A.H. (1986). Peripheral plasma concentrations of oestradiol, progesterone, cortisol, LH and prolactin during the oestrous cycle in the cow, with emphasis on the peri-oestrous period. Animal Reproduction Sci. 10: 275-292.
- Dohoo, I.R., Martin, W. and Stryhn, H. (2010). Veterinary epidemiologic research. 2nd Edition. Atlantic Veterinary College Inc., University of Prince Edward Island, Prince Edward Island, Canada, 865.
- Eradus, W.J., Rossing, W., Hogewerf, P.H and Benders, E. (1992). Signal processing of activity data for oestrus detection in dairy cattle. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Prospects for Automatic Milking, Wageningen, The Netherlands. 360-369.
- Farris, E.J., (1954). Activity of dairy cows during oestrus. Journal of American Veterinary Medicine Assoc. 125: 117-121.
- Firk, R., Stamer, E., Junge, W. and Krieter, J. (2002). Automation of oestrus detection in dairy cows: a review. Livestock Production Sci.75: 219-232.
- Fisher, A.D., Morton, R., Dempsey, J.M.A., Henshall, J.M. and Hill, J.R. (2008). Evaluation of a new approach for the estimation of the time of the LH surge in dairy cows using vaginal temperature and electrodeless conductivity measurements. Theriogenology. 70: 1065-1074.
- Gordon, I. (1996). Characteristic of oestrus. In: Controlled Reproduction in Cattle and Buffaloes. Controlled Reproduction in Farm Animal Series. 1, CABI.
- Gunasekakharan, M., Singh.C and Gupta, A.K. (2007). Effect of estrus behavior on fertility in Murrah buffaloes. Indian Journal of Dairy Sci. 60(5): 348-351.
- Hockey, C., Morton, J., Norman, S. and McGwan, M. (2010). Improved prediction of ovulation time may increase pregnancy rate to artificial insemination in lactating dairy cattle. Reproduction Domestic Anim. 45: 239-248.
- Holman, A .Thomson J., Roulty, J.E., Comeron, J., Jonnes D.N., Grove-White, D., Smith, R.F., Dobson, H. (2011). Comparison of estrus detection in dairy cattle. Veterinary Rec. 169: 47.
- Jónsson, R., Blanke, M., Poulsen, N. K Caponetti, F. and Højsgaard. S. (2011). Oestrus detection in dairy cows from activity and lying data using on-line individual models. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 76: 6-15.
- Kiddy, C.A. (1977). Variation in physical activity as an indication of oestrus in dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Sci. 60: 235-243.
- Kumaresan, A., Ansari, M.R. and Sanwal, P.C. (2001).Assessment of the accuracy of oestrus detection by progesterone assay in cattle and buffaloes. Indian Journal of Dairy Sci. 71(8): 34-36.
- Layek, S.S. (2011). Timing of ovulation in relation to estrous symptoms and preiestrual hormone level in Sahiwal Cows. M.V.Sc Thesis. NDRI, Karnal, India.
- Layek, S.S. Mohanty, T.K., Kumaresan, A., Behera, K. and Chand, S. (2011a). Behavioural signs of estrus and their relationship to time of ovulation in Zebu (Sahiwal) cattle. Animal Reproduction Sci. 129(3): 140-145.
- Lopez Gatius, F., Santolaria, P. Mundet, I. and. Yániz, J. L. (2005). Walking activity at estrus and subsequent fertility in dairy cows. Theriogenology. 63: 1419-1429.
- Løvendahl, P. and Chagunda, M.G.G. (2010). On the use of physical activity monitoring for estrus detection in dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Sci. 93: 249-259.
- Lyimo, Z.C., Nielen, M., Ouweltjes, W., Kruip, T.A.M. and van Eerdenburg, F.J.C.M. (2000). Relationship among estradiol, cortisol and intensity of estrous behavior in dairy cattle. Theriogenology. 53: 1783-1795.
- Madkar, A.R. Lathwal, S.S. Mohanty, T.K. and Abdullah, M. (2014). Study of cervical mucus characteristics during natural and induced estrus in cross breed cows. Indian Journal of Animal Production Mange. 30: 26-28.
- Madkar, A.R., Lathwal, S.S., Mohanty, T.K. Abdullah, M. and Kumar, S. (2015). Estrus conformation on the basis of behavioural signs of intensity in cross breed cows. Indian Veterinary J. 92: 60-61.
- Madkar, A.R. (2013). Efficiency of wireless sensor device (pedometer) for detection of estrus in karan fries cows. M.V.Sc Thesis M -Series -2682, Page No.1-58.
- Mangal, B. (2009). Study on estrus behavior, cervical mucus characteristics and fertility in Sahiwal cattle. M.V.Sc. Thesis NDRI Karnal Haryana, India.
- Mathie, M.J., Coster, A.C.F., Lovell, N.H. and Celler, B.G. (2004). Accelerometry: providing an integrated, practical method for long-term, ambulatory monitoring of human movement. Physiological Meas. 25: R1-R20.
- Mele, M. Secchiari, P., Serra, A. Ferruzzi, G., Paoletti, F. and Biagioni, M. (2001). Application of the ‘tracking signal’ method to the monitoring of udder health and oestrus in dairy cows. Livestock Producion Sci. 72(3-5): 279-284.
- Narayanan, M.R., Mathie, M. and Lovell, N.H. (2006). Implementation of a real-time human movement classifier using a triaxial accelerometer for ambulatory monitoring. Information Technology in Biomedicine, IEEE Transactions. 10: 156-167.
- Palmer, M.A., Olmos, G., Boyle, L.A. and Mee, (2010). Estrus detection and estrus characteristics in housed and pastured Holstein-Friesian cows. Theriogenology. 74: 255-264.
- Peralta, O.A., Pearson, R.E. and Nebel, R.L. (2005). Comparison of three estrus detection systems during summer in a large commercial dairy herd. Animal Reproduction Sci. 87: 59-72.
- Peter, A.T., Bosu, W.T.K (1986). Postpartum ovarian activity in dairy cows: correlation between behavioral estrus, pedometer measurements and ovulations. J. of Theriogenology. 26(1): 111-115.
- Ranasinghe, R.M.S.B.K., Nakao, T., Yamada, K. and Koike, K. (2010). Silent ovulation, based on walking activity and milk progesterone concentrations, in Holstein cows housed in a free-stall barn. Theriogenology. 73: 942-949.
- Robert, B., White, B.J. (2009). Evaluation of three-dimensional accelerometers to monitor and classify behavior patterns in cattle. Computers and Electronics. 34:112.
- Rodrian, J.A. (1981). Animal identification and estrus detection. US Patent 4,247,758.
- Roelofs, J.B., van Eerdenburg, F.J.C.M., Soede, N.M and Kemp, B. (2005). Pedometer readings for estrous detection and as predictor for time of ovulation in dairy cattle. Theriogenology. 64: 1690-1703.
- Rorie, R.W., Bilby T.R. and Lester, T.D. (2002). Application of electronic estrus detection technologies to reproductive management of cattle. Theriogenology. 57: 137-148.
- Sakaguchi, M., Fujiki, R., Yabuuchi, K., Takahashi, Y. and Aoki, M. (2007). Reliability of estrous detection in Holstein heifers using a radiotelemetric pedometer located on the neck or legs under different rearing conditions. Journal of Reproduction Dev. 53: 819-828.
- Senger, P.L. (2005). Pathways to Pregnancy and Parturition. Second Revised ed. Current Conceptions, Inc, Pullman, WA.
- Senger, P.L. (1994). The estrus detection problems; new concept, technologies and possibilities. Journal of Dairy Sci. 77: 2745-2753.
- Shemesh, M., Ayalon N. and Lindner, H.R. (1972). Oestradiol levels in the peripheral blood of cows during the oestrous cycle. Journal of Endocrinology. 55: 73-78.
- Short, R.V. (1984). Oestrus and Menstrual Cycles. 1984. In: C.R. Austin, R.V. Short, editors. Reproduction in mammals 3: hormonal control of reproduction. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 115-152.
- Thamos, I. and Dobson, H. (1989). Oestrus during pregnancy in the cow. Veterinary Rec. 15: 387-90.
- Timms, L.L. (1985). Estrus detection in; dairy profit series; Reproduction cooperative Extension Service, Lowa State University, USA.
- Trenel, P., Jensen, M.B. Decker, E.L. and Skjøth, F. (2009). Technical note: Quantifying and characterizing behavior in dairy calves using the IceTag automatic recording device. Journal of Dairy Sc. 92: 3397-3.
- Xu, Z.Z., McKnight, D.J. Vishwanath, R., Pitt, C.J. and Burton. L.J. (1998). Estrus detection using radiotelemetry or visual observation and tail painting for dairy cows on pasture. Journal of Dairy Sci. 81:2890-2896.
- Yoshioka, H., Ito, M. and Tanimoto, Y. (2010). Effectiveness of a real-time radiotelemetric pedometer for estrus detection and insemination in Japanese black cows. Journal of Reproduction Dev. 56: 351-355.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.