Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Detopping in Maize: A Review
First Online 06-07-2020|
- Afrarinesh, A. (2005). Study the effect of the intensity and timing of topping on maize (Zea mays L.) grain yield under Khuzestan condition. Iranian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 114: 93-99
- Ahmed, F. Saha, R.R. Jahanl M.A. and Khan, M.S.A. (2007). Grain and fodder yield from the same hybrid maize as influenced by source-sink manipulation. Journal of Bangladesh Agricultural University. 5(2): 177-180.
- Amulya, C.C. (2018). Effect of detopping on growth and yield of maize (Zea mays L.), M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bengaluru.
- Barimavandi, A.R., Sedaghathoor, S and Ansari, R. (2010). Effects of different defoliation treatments on yield and yield components in maize (Zea mays L.) cultivar of S.C.704. Australian Journal of Crop Science. 4(1): 9-1.
- Bhargavi, M.B. (2017). De-topping influence on productivity of rabi maize (Zea mays L.). M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Professor Jayshankar Telangana State Agricultural University, Telangana.
- Borras, L and Otegui, M. E. (2001). Maize kernel weight response to post flowering source- sink ratio. Crop Science. 21: 1816-1822.
- Brar, A.S., Anupam Singh and Thakur Singh (2000). Response of hybrid cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) to nitrogen and canopy modification practices. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 45(2): 395-400.
- Chaudhary, D.P. Ashwani Kumar, Sapna Mandhania, S. Srivastava P. and Kumar R. S. (2012). Maize As Fodder - An alternative approach, Directorate of Maize Research, Pusa Campus, New Delhi - 110 012, Technical Bulletin 2012/04 pp. 32.
- Duncan, W.C, Williams, W.A. and Loomis, R.S. (1967). Tassels and the productivity of maize. Crop Science. 7: 37-39.
- Dwyer, L.M and Stewart, D.W. (1986). Leaf area development in field-grown maize. Agronomy Journal 78: 334-343.
- Emam, Y. and Taddayon, M. R. (1999). Effects of plant density and detopping on grain yield and yield components of maize at Doroodzan area of Fars Province [Persian]. Iranian Journal of Agricultural Science, 30(4): 743-750.
- Emam, Y. Sedaghat, M. and Baharani, H. (2013). Responses of Maize (SC704) Yield and Yield Components to Source Restriction. Iran Agricultural Research. 32(1): 31-39.
- Emran, S.A., Haque, K.M.S., Khaliq, Q.A and Miah, M.Y. (2014). Source-sink manipulation and population density effects on fodder and grain yield of hybrid maize. Bangladesh Agronomy Journal. 17(1): 59-66.
- Esechie, H.A and Al-Alawi, K. (2002). Effect of tassel removal on grain yield of maize (Zea mays L.) under saline conditions. Crop Research. 24: 96-101.
- Gaurkar, S.G. and Bharad, G.M. (1998). Effect of plant population, detopping and nitrogen levels on growth and yield of maize (Zea mays L.). PKV Research Journal. 22: 136-137.
- Gupta, B.K., B.L. Bhardwaj and A.K. Ahuja. (2004). Nutritional value of forage crops of Punjab. Punjab Agricultural University Publication.
- Hanway, J. J. (1969). Defoliation effects on different corn (Zea mays L.) hybrids as influenced by plant population and stage of development. Agronomy Journal. 61: 534- 538.
- Keating, B. A. and Wafula, B. M. (1992). Modeling the fully expanded area of maize leaves. Field Crop Research. 29:163-176.
- Mishra, S. and Kler, D.S. (2003). Defoliation/Detasseling studies in maize – A review. In Dimensions of Environmental Threat Edited by Arvind Kumar, Daya Publishing House Delhi.
- Muleba, N. (1980). Physiological determinants of grain yield of maize (Zea mays L.) varieties in different environments. Ph.D thesis, Kansas State University, USA.
- Paterniani, E. (1981). Influence of tassel size on ear placement in maize. Maydica 26: 85-89.
- Rathika, S. (2013). Effect of crop geometry, intercropping and topping practices on yield, nutrient uptake and soil fertility status of baby corn (Zea mays L.). International Journal of Agricultural Science. 9(2): 583-587.
- Rathika, S. (2014). Influence of crop geometry, intercropping and topping practices on green cob yield and fodder quality of baby corn (Zea mays L.). International Journal of Agricultural Science, 10(1): 182-185.
- Roy, S.K. and Biswas, P.K. (1992). Effect of plant density and de- topping following silking on cob growth, fodder and grain yield of maize (Zea mays). Journal of Agricultural Science, Cambridge 119: 297-301.
- Saha, R.R., Rahman, M.S. and Golder, P.C. (2001). Maize-legume intercropping and effect of detopping of maize after silking. Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Research. 26(3): 445-451.
- Shivakumar, B.G. (2018). Evaluation of fodder value of maize varieties as influenced by nitrogen levels and de-topping before physiological maturity. IGFRI Report, Regional Station, IGFRI Dharwad
- Srisailam, G. (2010). Effect of de-topping on dry matter production and grain yield in maize (Zea mays L.) during rabi. M.Sc. (Ag.), Thesis, Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University Andhra Pradesh.
- Subedi, K.D. (1996). Effect of leaf stripping, de-tasseling and topping of maize on the yield of maize and relay intercropped finger millet. Experimental Agriculture. 32: 57-61.
- Teyker, R.H., Moll, R.H. and Jackson, W.A. (1991). Differences among prolific maize hybrids in the effects of lower leaf removal. Maydica. 36(1): 1-10.
- Tilahun, A. (1993). Quantitative and physiological traits in maize (Zea mays). Associate with different levels of moisture, plant density and leaf defoliation in Ethiopia In: Proceedings of the First National Maize Workshop of Ethiopia. [Benti, T. and Ransom, J.K. (Eds.)], IAR/CIMMYT, Addis Ababa. 74-80.
- Umashankara, K.B. (2007). Influence of stages and levels of defoliation on seed yield and quality of fodder maize (cv. South African Tall). M. Sc. (Agri.) Thesis. University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad. 77p.
- Walpole, P.R and Morgan, D.G. (1970). A quantitative study of grain filling in (Triticum aestivum L.) cultivar Maris widgeon. Annals of Botany, 34: 308-309.
- Westgate, M.E and Boyer, J.S. (1985). Carbohydrates and reproduction development at low leaf water potential in maize. Crop Science. 25:762-769.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.