Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Seed Aging, Storage and Deterioration: An Irresistible Physiological Phenomenon
First Online 26-10-2019|
- Abdul Baki, A. and Anderson, J. D. (1973). Vigour determination in soyabean seeds by multiple criteria. Crop Sci13: 630-633.
- Abdul-Baki, A. A. (1980). Biochemical aspects of seed vigour. Hort Sci 15:765-771.
- Abdullah, M. A., Abdullah, A. A., Safwat, O. K., Mohmoud, A. W. A., Mahran, El. N., Abdullah, A. I. (2011). Influence of storage conditions on seed quality and longevity of Four Vegetable Crops. Am-Euras J Agric Environ Sci 11: 353-59.
- Amjad, M. and Anjum. M. A. (2002). Effect of relative humidity and ageing period on the quality of onion seed. Int J Agri Biol 2: 291-296.
- Bailly, C. (2004). Active oxygen species and antioxidants in seed biology. Seed Sci Res 14: 93–107.
- Biabani, A., Boggs, L C., Katozi, M., Sabouri, H. (2011). Effects of seed deterioration and inoculation with Meso rhizobium ciceri on yield and plant performance of chickpea. Aust J Crop Sci 5:66-70.
- Copeland, L. O. and McDonald, M. B. (2001). Principles of Seed Science and Technology, Kluwer academic publishers, Boston, Pp. 330.
- Dahuja, A. and Yadav, S. (2015). Biochemical basis of seed deterioration-an overview. Seed Res 43:1-8.
- Demirkaya, M., Dietz, K. J. and Sivritepe, H. O. (2010). Change in antioxidant enzymes during ageing of onion seeds. Not Bot Hort Agrobot Cluj 38: 49-52.
- Ellis, R. H. and Roberts, E. H. (1977). A revised seed viability monograph for onion. Seed Res 5:93-103.
- Ghasemi-Golezani, K. Sheikhzadeh-Mosaddegh, P. Shakiba, M. R. Mohamadi, A. and Nasrollahzadeh, S. (2011). Development of Seed Physiological Quality in Winter Oilseed Rape (Brassica napusL.) Cultivars. Not Bot HortAgrobot Cluj 39:208-212.
- Gutteridge, J. M. C. and Halliwell, B. (1990). The measurement and mechanism of lipid peroxidation in biological systems. Trends Biochem Sci 15: 129-135.
- Halder, S., Kole, S. and Gupta, K. (1983). On the mechanism of sunflower seed deterioration under two different types of accelerated ageing. Seed Sci Technol 11: 331-339.
- Harrington, J. F. (1960). Preliminary report on the relative desirability of different containers for storage of several kinds of vegetable seed. Calif Univ Dept Veg Crops Ser 104-108.
- Hendry, G. A. F. (1993). Oxygen free radical processes and seed longevity. Seed Sci Res 3:141-153.
- Iqbal, N., Basra, S. H. M. A. and Rehman, K. (2002). Evaluation of vigour and oil quality in cottonseed during accelerated aging. Int J Agri Biol 4:318-322.
- Loycrajjou, L. Y., Steven, P. C., Groot, B. M., Job, C. and Job, D. (2008). Proteome wide characterization of seed ageing in Arabidopsis. A comparison between artificial and natural ageing. Prot Plant Physiol 148:620-641.
- Mahjabin., Bilal, S., and Abidi, A. B. (2015). Physiological and biochemical changes during seed deterioration: A Review. Int J Recent Sci Res 6:3416-3422.
- Moller, I. M., Jensen, P. E. and Hansson, A. (2007). Oxidative Modifications to cellular components in plants. Ann Rev Plant Biol 58: 459-468.
- Morello, J. R., Motilva, M. J., Tovar, M. J. and Romero, M. P. (2004). Changes in commercial virgin olive oil (CV Arbequina) during storage with special emphasis on the phenolic fraction. J Food Chem 85: 357-364.
- Pallavi, M., Sudheer, S. K., Dangi, K. S. and Reddy, A. V. (2003). Effect of seed ageing on physiological, biochemical and yield attributes in sunflower (Helianthus annusL.) cv. Morden. Seed Res 31: 161-168.
- Perry, D.A. (1978). Report on the vigour test committee 1974–1977. Seed Sci Technol 6:159–181.
- Singh, R. and Bassi, G. (2016). Response of bittergourd (Momordica charantia L.) seed to seed priming treatments under sub-optimal environments. Ind J Agri Sci 86 (7): 935-939.
- Roberts, E. H. (1989). Seed storage for genetic conservation. Plant Today 2: 12–18.
- Rutzke, C.F.J., Taylor, A.G. and Obendorf, R.L. (2008). Influence of aging, oxygen, and moisture on ethanol production from cabbage seeds. J American Soc Hort Sci 133:158–164.
- Scialabba. A., Bellani, L. M. and Dell’aquila, A. (2002). Effects of ageing on peroxidase activity and localization in radish (Raphanus sativus L.) seeds. Eur J Histo Chem 46:351-358.
- Shaban, M. (2013). Review on physiological aspects of seed deterioration. Int J Agri Crop Sci 6: 627-631.
- Shelar, V. R., Shaikh, R. S. and Nikam, A. S. (2008). Soybean seed quality during storage: A review. Agric Rev 29: 125-31.
- Silva, M. I. L., Voigt, E. L., Grangeiro, L. C., Cunha, E. E., MacEdo, C. E. C. and Torres, S. B. (2015). Determination of harvest maturity in Capsicum baccatumL. seeds using physiological and biochemical markers. Aust J Crop Sci 9:1010-1015.
- Silva, P. P., Sekita, M. C., Dias, D. C. F. and Nascimento, W. M. (2016). Biochemical and physiological analysis in carrot seeds from different orders of umbels. Revista Ciência Agronômica 47:407-413.
- Stumof, C. L., Peske, S. T. and Baudet, L. (1997). Storage potential of onion seeds hermetically packed at low moisture content. Seed Sci Technol 25:25.
- Taiz, L. and Zeiger, E. (2006). Energy and Enzymes. In: TAIZ, L.; ZEIGER, E. Plant Physiology. 4th ed. Sunderland: Sinauer Associates 2: 1-22.
- Taylor, A.G., Johnson, C.F. and Kataki, P.K. (1999). Ethanol production by hydrated seeds: A high resolution index of seeds quality. ISHS Acta Horticulturea 504:153–157.
- Tilebeni, G. H. and Golpayegani, A. (2011). Effect of seed ageing on physiological and biochemical changes in rice seed (Oryza sativa L.). Int J Agri Sci 1:38-143.
- Walters, C., Ballesteros, D. and Vertucci, V. A. (2010). “Structural mechanics of seed deterioration: Standing the test of time”. Plant Sci 179: 565–573.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.