Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Agronomic biofortification of major cereals with zinc and iron- A review
First Online 26-03-2019|
- Aciksoz, S. B., Yazici, A., Ozturk, L. and Cakmak, I. (2011). Biofortification of wheat with iron through soil and foliar application of nitrogen and iron fertilizers. Plant and Soil, 349(1-2): 215–225.
- Alvarez, J. M. and Gonzalez, D. (2006). Zinc transformations in neutral soil and zinc efficiency in maize fertilization. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 54: 9488-9495.
- Cakmak, I. (2008). Enrichment of cereal grains with zinc: agronomic or genetic biofortification? Plant Soil, 302: 1–17.
- Cakmak, I. (2012). Harvest plus zinc fertilizer project: Harvest zinc. Better Crops with Plant Food, 96(20): 17-19.
- Cakmak, I., Kalayci, M., Kaya, Y., Torun, A.A., Aydin, N., Wang, Y., Arisoy, Z., Erdem, H., Gokmen, O., Ozturk, L. and Horst, W.J. (2010). Biofortification and localization of zinc in wheat grain. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 58: 9092–9102.
- Erenoglu, E.B., Kutman, U.B., Ceylan, Y., Yildiz, B. and Cakmak, I. (2011). Improved nitrogen nutrition enhances root uptake, root- to-shoot translocation and remobilization of zinc (65Zn) in wheat. New Phytologist, 189: 438–448.
- Fang, Y., Wang, L., Xin, Z., Zhao, L., An, X. and Hu, Q. (2008). Effect of foliar application of zinc, selenium, and iron fertilizers on nutrients concentration and yield of rice grain in China. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 56: 2079–2084.
- FAO, (2013). The State of Food and Agriculture, Food and Agriculture Organisation. Rome.
- Gupta, U.C. (1991). Iron statues of crops in Prince-Edward-Island and effect of soil-pH on plant iron concentration. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, 71: 197–202.
- Hussain, S.T., Bhat, M.A., Hussain, A., Dar, S.A., Dar, S.H., Ganai, M.A. and Telli, N.A. (2018). Zinc fertilization for improving grain yield, zinc concentration and uptake in different rice genotypes. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 7(2): 287-291.
- Kanwal, S., Rahmatullah, A.M. Ranjha and R. Ahmad (2010). Zinc partitioning in maize grain after soil fertilization with zinc sulfate. Int. J. Agric. Biol, 12: 299–302.
- Katyal, J. C. and Vlek, P. L. G. (1985). Micronutrient problems in tropical Asia. Fertilizer Research, 7: 69–94.
- Kayode, A. P. P., Linnemann, A. R. and Hounhouigan, J. D. (2006). Genetic and environmental impact on iron, zinc, and phytatein food sorghum grown in Benin. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 54: 256–62.
- Kotecha, P.V. (2008). Micronutrient malnutrition in India: let us say “no” to it now. Indian J. Community Med, 33(1): 9-10.
- Kumar, A.A., Reddy, B.V., Ramaiah, B., Sahrawat, K.L. and Pfeiffer, W.H. (2013). Gene effects and heterosis for grain iron and zinc concentration in sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench]. Field Crops Research, 146: 86–95.
- Kutman, U.B., Yildiz, B., Ozturk, L. and Cakmak, I. (2010). Biofortification of durum wheat with zinc through soil and foliar applications of nitrogen. Cereal Chem, 87: 1–9.
- Li, B.Y., Zhou, D.M., Cang, L., Zhang, H.L., Fan, X.H. and Qin, S.W. (2007). Soil micronutrient availability to crops as affected by long-term inorganic and organic fertilizer applications. Soil and Tillage Research, 96(1-2): 166-173.
- Meena, N. and Fathima, P. S. (2017). Nutrient uptake of rice as influenced by agronomic biofortification of Zn and Fe under methods of rice cultivation. Int. J. Pure App. Biosci, 5 (5): 456-459.
- Mishra, J. S., Hariprasanna, K., Rao, S. S. and Patil, J. V. (2015). Biofortification of post-rainy sorghum (Sorghum bicolor) with zinc and iron through fertilization strategy. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 85 (5): 721–4.
- Nagaraj, N., Basavaraj, G., Rao, P.P. and Bantilan, C. (2012). Future outlook and options for target crops: the sorghum and pearl millet economy of India. ICRISAT, Patancheru, India. Policy Brief No. 15.
- NNMB (National Nutrition Monitoring Bureau). (2002). Hyderabad: National Institute of Nutrition; 2002.
- NRAA (National Rainfed Area Authority). (2012). Products, diversification, marketing and price discovery of pearlmillet in India. Policy Paper No.2, National Rainfed Area Authority Planning Commission, Government of India, NASC Complex, New Delhi.
- Pahlavan-Rad, M. and Pessarakli, M. (2009). Response of wheat plants to zinc, iron and manganese applications and uptake and concentration of zinc, iron and manganese in wheat grains. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 40: 1322– 1332.
- Parthasarathy, R. P., Birthal, B.S., Reddy, B.V.S., Rai, K.N. and Ramesh, S. (2006). Diagnostics of sorghum and pearl millet grains- based nutrition in India. Inter. Sor. Mil. News let, 47: 93-96.
- Pfeiffer, W. H. and McClafferty, B. (2007). HarvestPlus: Breeding crops for better nutrition. Crop Science, 47: S88–S105.
- Phattarakul, N., Rerkasem, B., Li, L.J., Wu, L.H., Zou, C.Q., Ram, H., Sohu, V.S., Kang, B.S., Surek, H., Kalayci, M., Yazici, A., Zhang, F.S. and Cakmak, I. (2012). Biofortification of rice grain with zinc through zinc fertilization in different countries. Plant Soil, 361: 131–141.
- Pooniya, V., Shivay, Y.S. (2011). Effect of green manuring and Zinc fertilization on productivity and nutrient uptake in Basmati rice (Oryza sativa)-wheat (Triticum aestivum) copping system. Indian journal of Agronomy, 56(1): 28-34.
- Prasad, R. (2010). Zinc biofortification of food grains in relation to food security and alleviation of zinc malnutrition. Current Science, 98(10): 1300-1304.
- Prasad, S.K., Singh, M.K. and Singh, R. (2014). Effect of nitrogen and zinc fertilizer on pearl millet (Pennisetum glaucum) under agri- horti system of eastern Uttar Pradesh. The Bioscan, 9(1): 163-166.
- Prasad, S.K., Singh, R., Singh, M.K. and Rakshit, A. (2015). Zinc biofortification and agronomic indices of pearl millet under semi- arid region. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Biotechnology, 8(1): 171-175.
- Rakshit, A., Pal, S., Rai, S., Rai, A., Bhowmick, M.K. and Singh, H.B. (2013). Micronutrient seed priming: a potential, tool in integrated nutrient management. Satsa Mukhopatra, 17: 77- 89.
- Rana, A., Joshi, M., Prasanna, R., Shivay, Y.S. and Nain, L. (2012). Biofortification of wheat through inoculation of plant growth promoting rhizobacteria and cyanobacteria. European Journal of Soil Biology, 50: 118-126.
- Reddy, B.V.S., Kumar, A.A., Ramesh, S. and Reddy, P.S. (2011). Breeding sorghum for coping with climate change. Crop adaptation to climate change (Yadav SS, Redden B, Hatfield JL and Herman Lotze-Campen, eds.). Iowa, USA: John Wiley and Sons Inc, 326-339.
- Rego, T.J., Rao, V.N., Seeling, B., Pardhasaradhi, G. and Rao, J.K. (2003). Nutrient balances-a guide to improving sorghum and groundnut based dryland cropping systems in semi-arid tropical India. Field Crops Research, 81: 53–68.
- Saleem, I., Javid, S., Bibi, F., Ehsan, S., Niaz, A. and Ahmad, Z.A. (2016). Biofortification of maize grain with zinc and iron by using fertilizing approach. Journal of Agriculture and Ecology Research International, 7(4): 1-6.
- Shafea, L. and Saffari, M. (2011). Effects of zinc (ZnSO4) and nitrogen on chemical composition of maize grain. International Journal of AgriScience, 1(6): 323-328.
- Shi, R., Zhang, Y., Chen, X., Sun, Q., Zhang, F., Romheld, V. and Zou, C. (2010). Influence of long-term nitrogen fertilization on micronutrient density in grain of winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Journal of Cereal Science, 51(1): 165–170.
- Singh, M.K. and Prasad, S.K. (2014). Agronomic aspects of zinc biofortification in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences India Section B: Biological Science B., 84(3): 613–623.
- Singh, M.V. (2007). Micronutrient deficiencies in crops and soils in India. In: Micronutrient Deficiencies in Global Crop Production. Springer, Berlin. 93-125.
- Singh, M.V. (2001). Evaluation of current micronutrient stocks in different agro-ecological zones of India for sustainable crops production. Fertilizer News, 42: 25–42.
- Singh, P., Dhaliwal, S.S., Sadana, U.S. and Manchanda, J.S. (2013). Enrichment of rice cultivars with Fe at different plant growth stages through ferti-fortification. LS - An International Journal of Life Sciences, 2(2): 140-148.
- Stevens, Gretchen A., Mariel M. Finucane, Luz Maria De-Regil, Christopher J. Paciorek, Seth R. et al (2013). “Global, Regional, and National Trends in Haemoglobin Concentration and Prevalence of Total and Severe Anaemia in Children and Pregnant and Non-Pregnant Women for 1995–2011: A Systematic Analysis of Population-Representative Data.” The Lancet Global Health 1 (1): e16–25. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(13)70001-9.
- Takkar, P.N. (1996). Micronutrient research and sustainable agricultural productivity in India. Journal of the Indian Society of Soil Science, 44: 562-581.
- USAID OMNI, (2005). Micronutrient Fact Sheet, India. Available online at: http://www.cdc.gov/immpact/micronutrients/
- USFNB, (2001). Dietary Reference Intake for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium and Zinc. US Food and Nutrition Board, National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Wissuwa, M., Ismail, A.M. and Graham, R.D. (2008). Rice grain zinc concentrations as affected by genotype, native soil-zinc availability, and zinc fertilization. Plant Soil, 306(1-2): 37–48.
- WHO (World Health Organization). (2002). World Health Report 2002: Reducing Risks, Promoting Healthy Life. Geneva: WHO
- Worldwide prevalence of anamia 1993-2005. WHO global database on anamia Geneva, World Health Organization, 2008.
- Yilmaz, A., Ekiz, H., Torun, B., Gultekin, I., Karanlik, S. and Bagci, S.A. and Cakmak, I. (1997). Effect of different zinc application methods on grain yield and zinc concentration in wheat cultivars grown on zinc-deficient calcareous soils. Journal of Plant Nutrition, 20(4-5): 461–471.
- Zhang, J., Wu, L. H. and Wang, M. Y. (2008). Iron and zinc biofortification in polished rice and accumulation in rice plant (Oryza sativa L.) as affected by nitrogen fertilization. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica Section B–Soil and Plant Science, 58(3): 267-272.
- Zhang, Y., Shi, R., Md. Rezaul, K., Zhang, F. and Zou, C. (2010). Iron and zinc concentrations in grain and flour of winter wheat as affected by foliar application. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 58(23): 12268–12274.
- Zhou, C.Q., Zhang, Y.Q., Rashid, A., Ram, H., Savasli, E., Arisoy, R.Z.,Ortiz—Monasterio, I., et al. (2012). Biofortification of wheat with zinc through zinc fertilization in seven countries. Plant and Soil, 361(1-2): 119–130.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.