Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Health benefits of bioactive compounds from cocoa (Theobroma cacao)
First Online 26-07-2019|
- Baba, S., Osakabe, N., Natsume, M.,Muto,Y., Takizawa, T. and Terao, J. 2001. Absorption and urinary excretion of epicatechin after administration of different levels of cocoa powder or epicatechin in rats. J. Agric. Food Chem. 49: 6050–6056.
- Bernhoft, A., 2010. A brief review on bioactive compounds in plants. Novus Forlag, Oslo, Norway, 543P.
- Buijsse, B., Feskens, E. J., Kok, F. J., and Kromhout, D. 2006. Cocoa intake, blood pressure, and cardiovascular mortality: The Zutphen Elderly Study. Arch Intern. Med. 166(4): 411–417.
- Heinrich,U., Neukam, K., Tronmer, H., and Stahl, W. 2006. Long term ingestion of high flavanol cocoa provides photoprotection against UV- induced erythema and improves skin condition in women. J. Nutr. 136: 1565-1569.
- John, P., Vinson , J. A., and Zubic, L. 2011. Phenol Antioxidant Quantity and Quality in Foods: Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, and Milk Chocolate. J. Agric. Food Chem.47 (12): 4821- 4824.
- Martín, M. A.; Fernandez, E; Ramos, S.; Bravo, L.; and Goya, L. 2013. Cocoa flavonoid epicatechin protects pancreatic beta cell viability and function against oxidative stress. Mol. Nutr. Food Res. 58: 447–456.
- Murphy, K.J., Chronopoulos, A.K., Francis, M.A., Moriarty, H., and Pike, M.J. 2003. Dietary flavanols and procyanidin oligomers from cocoa (Theobroma cacao) inhibit platelet function. Am. J. Medi. Nutri. 72: 528–547.
- Olasope, T. M., Fadupin1, G. T., Olubamiwa, O. O., and Jayeola, C. O. 2016. Glucose lowering Potential of Cocoa Powder Intake-An Avenue for Positive Management of Diabetes Mellitus. Brit. J. Med. and Med. Res. 16(2): 1-7.
- Patel, A. K., Rogers, J. T., and Haung, X. 2008. Flavanols, mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer’s dementia. Int. J. Clin. Exp. Med. 1: 181-191.
- Sokolov, A.N., Pavlova, M,A, Klosterhalfen, S., and Enck, P.2013. Cerebral blood flow response to flavanol rich cocoa in healthy elderly humans. Neuropsychiatr.. Dis. Treatment. 4 : 433-444.
- Sunny, A. A. and Latif, R. 2007. Effects of chocolate intake on Perceived Stress; a Controlled Clinical Study. Inter. J. Health Sci. Qassim University, Vol. 8, No. 4 (Oct-Dec 2014).
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.