Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Irrigation scheduling through drip and surface methods- A critical review on growth, yield, nutrient uptake and water use studies of rabi maize
First Online 26-12-2018|
- Alemi, M. H. (1981). The effect of water deficit on yield and agronomic characters of corn. Field Crop Research. 37(7): 5955.
- Allen, R. G., Pereira, L. S., Raes, D and Smith, M. ((1998). Crop evapotranspiration-Guidelines for computing crop water requirements. Irrigation and Drainage Paper. No.56. FAO, Rome.
- Anitta, F. S and Muthukrishnan, P. (2011). Effect of drip fertigation and intercropping on growth, yield and water use efficiency of maize (Zea mays L.). Madras Agriculture Journal. 98(7-9): 238-242.
- Anonymous, (1995). Drip irrigation studies on tomato. Annual Report. Plasticulture Dev. Cen Haynes, R.J. 1988.
- Aujla, T. S., Sandhu, B. S., Singh, G., Singh, B and Khera, K. L. (1987). Irrigation, N- fertilization and straw mulch effects on growth and yield of winter maize on a sandy loam soil in Punjab. Research Journal of Agriculture University. 24(4): 563-574.
- Balaswamy, K., Reddy, B. B., Reddy, K. A., Reddy, B. B and Reddy, M. B. (1986). Effect of planting patterns mulches and soil moisture regimes on growth andyield attributes of maize. Madras Agricultural Journal. 73(10): 553-557.
- Banga R.S, Tej-Singh YSK and Singh T. (1998). Effect of irrigation and fertility levels on nitrogen and phosphorus uptake in winter maize (Zea mays L.) under shallow water table conditions in Haryana. Indian Journal of Soil Conservation. 26(2): 135-136.
- Bar-Yosef, B, Sagiv, B and Markovitich, T. (1989). Sweet corn response to surface and subsurface trickle phosphorus fertigation. Agronomy Journal. 8: 443-447.
- Bennett, J.M and Hammond, L.C. (1983). Grain yields of several corn hybrids in response to water stresses imposed during vegetative growth stages. Soil Crop Science Society of Fla. Proceedings. 42: 107-111.
- Bharati, V., Nandan, R and Kumar, S. B. (2007). Effect of irrigation on yield, water use efficiency and water requirement of winter maize (Zea mays L.)-based intercropping systems. Environment and Ecology. 25: 888-892.
- Binder, D. L., Sander, D. H and Walters, D. T. (2000). Corn response to time of nitrogen application as affected by level of nitrogen deficiency. Agronomy Journal. 92: 1228-1236.
- Bowman, J. A., Simmon, F. S and Kimpel, B. C. (1991). Irrigation in Midwest: Lessons from Illinois. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering. 117(5): 700-715.
- Boyer, J. S. (1970). Leaf enlargement and metabolic rates in corn, soybean and sunflower at various leaf water potentials. Plant Physiology. 46: 233-235.
- Bozkurt, S., Yazar, A and Mansuroglu, G. S. (2011). Effects of different drip irrigation levels on yield and some agronomic characteristics of raised bed planted corn. Afr. Jour. 6(23): 5291-5300.
- Cakir, R. (2004). Effect of water stress at different development stages on vegetative and reproductive growth of corn. Field Crop Research. 89: 1-6.
- Couto, A., Ruiz Padin, A and Reinoso, B. (2013). Comparative yield and water use efficiency of two maize hybrids differing in maturity under solid set sprinkler and two different lateral spacing drip irrigation systems in Leon, Spain. Agricultural Water Management.124: 77-84.
- El-Hendawy, E., EssamAbd El-Lattief, A., Mohamed Ahmed, A and Schmidhalter, U. (2008). Irrigation rate and plant density effects on yield and water use efficiency of drip-irrigated corn. Agricultural Water Management. 95: 836-844.
- FAO/IAEA. (2002). Water balance and fertigation for crop improvement in West Asia. International Atomic Energy Agency.TECDOC- 1266 ISSN- 1011-4289.
- Farre, I and Faci, J. M. (2009). Deficit irrigation in maize for reducing agricultural water use in a Mediterranean environment. Agricultural Water Management. 96: 383-394.
- Hebbar, S. S., Ramachandrappa, B.K., Nanjappa, H.V and Prabhakar, M. (2004). Studies on NPK drip fertigation in field grown tomato (Lycopersiconesculentum Mill.) Europian Journal of Agronomy. 21(1): 117-127.
- Hou, Z., Pinfang, Li., Baoguo, Li., Gong Jiang, Wang and Yanna. (2007). Effects of fertigation scheme on N uptake and N use efficiency in cotton. Plant and Soil. 290(1-2): 115-126.
- Hussaini, M. A., Ogunlela, V. B., Ramalam, A. A and Falaki, A. M. (2008). Mineral composition of dry season maize (Zea mays L.) in response to varying levels of nitrogen, phosphorus and irrigation at Kadawa, Nigeria. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 4(6): 775-780.
- Hussaini, M. A., Ogunlela, V. B., Ramalan, A. A and Falaki, A. M. (2001). Growth and development of maize (Zea mays L.) in response to different levels of nitrogen, phosphorus and irrigation. Crop Research. 22 (2): 141-149.
- Ibragimov, N., Evett, S. R., Esanbekov, Y., Kamilov, B. S., Mirzaev, L and lamers, J. P. A. (2007). Water use efficiency of irrigated cotton in Uzbekistan under drip and furrow irrigation. Agriculture Water Management. 90: 112-120.
- Jadhav, B. S., Bhosale, A. S and Patil, B. R. (1994). Consumptive water use efficiency and moisture extraction pattern of maize as influenced by irrigation scheduling mulching and layouts. Journal of Soils and Crops. 4(1): 25-30.
- Javaid, A.,Tariq and Khalid Usman. (2009). Regulated deficit irrigation scheduling of maize crop (Zea mays L.). Sarhad Journal of Agriculture. 25(30): 44-450.
- Kadasiddappa, M. (2015). Drip Irrigated Maize and Sunflower: Growth, Yield, Evapotranspiration and water production functions. Ph.D Thesis submitted to PJTSAU, Hyderabad.
- Kadasiddappa, M., Praveen Rao, V., Yella Reddy K. And Tirupataih K. (2013). Yield, water use and water use efficiency of drip irrigated maize in southern Telangana region of AP. In: Proceedings of NGWC, 2013 on Problems, Challenges and Management of GW in Agriculture. Held from 9-11 Dec.2013 at Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. Pp: 372-376.
- Kadasiddappa, M., Praveen Rao, V., Yella Reddy K., Ramulu V., Uma Devi M and Narender Reddy S. (2016). Growth, yield and water productivity of drip irrigated maize (Zea mays L.) in peninsular region of India. Abstract paper presented in: International conference on Climate Change, Water, Agriculture and Food Security. Held during 2-3 Nov. 2016 at ICRISAT, India. Pp: 142.
- Kasele, N., Nyirendo, F., Shanahan, J. F., Nielsen, D.C and Adria, R.D. (1994). Ethephan: Alters corn growth, water use and grain yield under drought stress. Agronomy Journal. 86(2): 283-288.
- Khan, M. M., Vishnuvardha and Shyamalamma. (1996). Evaluation of micro irrigation system for vegetable crops. In: Proc. Modern Irrigation techniques. June 26-27, Bangalore. 101-110.
- Kumar, B. R., Rao. P. V., Avilkumar, K and Ramulu, V. (2013b). Crop coefficients for drip and check basin irrigated castor for prediction of evapotranspiration. Journal of Research, ANGRAU. 41(2): 107-110.
- Kumar, S. T and Pandian, B.J. (2010). Effect of fertigation frequencies and levels on growth and yield of maize. Madras Agriculture Journal. 97(7-9): 245-248.
- Kumar, V., Ghosh, B. C., Ravi Bhat and Karmakar, S. (1999). Interaction effect of fertility and water on yield, water use efficiency and nutrient uptake of winter maize. Journal of Water Management. 7(1): 40-43.
- Lamm, F.R., Schlegel, A.J and Clark, G.A. (2004). Development of a best management practice for nitrogen fertigation of corn using SDI. American Society of Agricultural Engineers. 20(2): 211-220.
- Liu, W. Z., Hunsaker, D. J., Li, Y. S., Xie, X. Q and Wall, G. W. (2002). Interrelations of yield, evapotranspiration and water use efficiency from marginal analysis of water production functions. Agricultural Water Management. 56: 143-151.
- Mahdi, M., Al-Kaisi and Xinhua Yin. (2003). Effect of nitrogen rate, irrigation rate and plant populations on corn yield and water use efficiency. Agronomy Journal. 95: 1475-1482.
- Mansouri-Far, C., Seyed Ali Mohammad ModarresSanavy and SeyedFarhadSaberali. (2010). Maize yield response to deficit irrigation during low-sensitive growth stages and nitrogen rate under semi-arid climatic conditions. Agricultural Water Management. 97: 12-22.
- Musick, J. T and Dusek, D.A. (1980). Irrigated corn yield response to water. Transactions of American Society of Agricultural Engineering. 23: 92-98.
- Nandal, D. P. S and Agarwal, S. K (1991). Response of winter maize to sowing dates, irrigation and nitrogen. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 36: 239-242.
- Narendra T. K., Dinesh Sharma, K and Surendra, L. K. (2003). Determination of evapotranspiration for maize and berseem clover. Irrigation Science. 21: 173-181.
- Oktem and Oktem, G. A. (2009). Yield characteristics of sweet corn under deficit irrigation in South-Eastern Turkey. Philippine Agricultural Scientist. 92(3): 332-337.
- Oktem, G. A. (2008). Effect of water shortage on yield, protein and mineral composition of drip-irrigated sweet corn in sustainable agricultural systems. Agricultural Water Management. 95: 1003-1010.
- Oktem., Mehmet Simsek and Oktem, G.A. (2003). Deficit irrigation effects on sweet corn (Zea mays saccharataSturt.) with drip irrigation system in a semi-arid region Water-yield relationship. Agricultural Water Management. 61: 63-74.
- Pandey, R. K., Maranville, J. W and Admou, A. (2000). Deficit irrigation and nitrogen effects on maize in a Sahelian environment grain yield and yield components. Agricultural Water Management. 46: 1-13.
- Pandey, S. N and Sinha, B. K. (2006). Plant Physiology. 4th edition, Vikas Publishing House, New Delhi.
- Payero, J. O., David, D., Tarkalson, Suat Irmak, Don Davison, James, L and Petersen. (2008). Effect of irrigation amounts applied with subsurface drip irrigation on corn evapotranspiration, yield, water use efficiency and dry matter production in semiarid climate. Agricultural Water Management. 95: 895-908.
- Payero, J. O., Melvin, S.R., Irmak, S and Tarkalson, D. (2006). Yield response of corn to deficit irrigation in semi-arid climate. Agricultural Water Management.84: 101-112.
- Rajendrakumar, Dahiya, D. R., Tyagi, N. K and Ashok, Y. (1996). Yield, yield attributes and economics of summer maize as influenced by water stress at critical stages. Haryana Agricultural University Journal of Research. 26: 259-565.
- Ramah, K., Santhi, P and Ponnuswamy, K. (2009). Irrigation scheduling and water use efficiency in maize (Zea mays L.) based cropping system under drip irrigation. Crop Research. 38: 15-20.
- Ramulu, V., Reddy, M.D and Rao, A.M. (2010). Response of rabi maize to irrigation schedules and fertigation levels. Agricultural Science Digest. 30(2): 104-106.
- Rao, P. V., Rao, P. R., and Ramanjanayulu A.V. (2014). Micro irrigation technique for improved and sustainable crop production. In: Advance in Agro-technology (eds.)- Rodrigaez, H.G., Sarkar, N.C., Ramajan, R and Mayti, Published by Pushpa Publishing House, Kolkata, India. 166-202.
- Sanjeev, K., Shivani, Mishra, S and Singh, V.P. (2006). Effect of tillage and irrigation on soil water plant relationship and productivity of winter maize (Zea mays L.) in north Bihar. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 76(9): 526-530.
- Sharan, B. (2012). Performance of sweet corn hybrid under different levels of irrigation and nitrogen applied through drip system. M.Sc.(Ag.) Thesis submitted to ANGRAU, Hyderabad.
- Shinde, S.A., Shelke, D.K and Sawargoankar, G.L. (2009). Effect of irrigation schedules and integrated nutrient management on yield and nutrient uptake of rabi maize (Zea mays L.). International Journal of Plant Sciences. 4(1): 24-26.
- Silungwe, F. R., Mahoo, H.F and Kashaigili, J.J. (2010). Evaluation of water productivity for maize under drip irrigation. Second RUFORUM Biennial Meeting. 20-24, September 2010, Entebbe, Uganda. 725-728.
- Sridhar, V., Singh, R.A and Singh, U.N. (1991). Effect of irrigation and fertility levels on nutrient uptake, content and recovery in rabi maize (Zea mays L.). Madras Agricultural Journal. 78(9-12). 422-424.
- Taha, M. H. (1999). Chemical fertilizers and irrigation system in Proceedings of the FAO Regional Workshop on Guidelines for Efficient Fertilizers Use through Irrigation. Cairo, Dec. 98: 14-16
- Tarkalson, D. D and Payero, J. O. (2008). Comparison of nitrogen fertilization methods and rates for subsurface dripF irrigated corn in the semi-arid great-plains. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. 51(5): 1633-1643.
- Tekin, K and Cigdem, B. (2008). Irrigation frequencies and corn (Zea mays L.) yield relation in Northern Turkey. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. 11: 123-126.
- Tyagi, R. C., Davender Singh and Hooda, I.S. (1998). Effect of plant population, irrigation and nitrogen on yield and its attributes of spring maize (Zea mays L.). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 43(4): 672-676.
- Vishwanatha, G.B., Ramachandrappa, B.K and Nanjappa, H.V. (2002). Soil- plant water status and yield of sweet corn as influenced by drip irrigation and planting methods. Agricultural Water Management. 55:85-91.
- Vishwanatha, G.B., Ramachanrappa, B.K and Nanjappa, H.V. (2000). Effect of drip irrigation and methods of planting on root and shoot biomass, tasseling-silking interval, yield and economics of sweet corn (Zea mays L. cvsaccharata). Mysore Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 34: 134-141.
- Yaghi, T. Arslan, A and Naoum, F. (2013). Cucumber (Cucumissativus, L.) water use efficiency (WUE) under plastic mulch and drip irrigation. Agricultural Water Management.128: 149-157.
- Yazar, A., Sezen, S.M and Sesveren, S. (2002). LEPA and trickle irrigation of cotton in the South-East Anatolia Project (GAP) area in Turkey. Agricultural Water Management. 54(3): 189-203.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.