MICROIRRIGATION AND FERTIGATION TO MAIZE AND MILLETS – A REVIEW
Citation :- MICROIRRIGATION AND FERTIGATION TO MAIZE AND MILLETS – A REVIEW.Agricultural Reviews.2014.(35):103-112
India is facing water scarcity inspite of having the largest area under irrigation in the world. Improper management of water and nutrient has contributed to the current water scarcity and pollution problems. Microirrigation and fertigation offer solution by controlling water and nutrient supplies to crops besides maintaining desired concentration and distribution of water and nutrients to soils. Although only limited research works have been done in India, the results indicate immense potential for practicing this technology throughout the country in different crops. Research works on microirrigation and fertigation to maize and millets have been documented to understand the scope, drawbacks and feasibility to economize the water and nutrient use.
Water use efficiency.
- Abd El-Hafez, S. A., El-Sabbagh, A. A. El-Bably A. Z. and Abo-Ahmed. E. I. (2001) Response of maize to drip irrigation in clay soils. Alexandria J. Agrl. Res., 46(2): 153-159.
- Ahluwalia, M. S., Bladev Singh and Gill. B. S. (1993) Drip irrigation system – its hydraulic performance and influence on tomato and cauliflower crops. J. Water Management, 1(1): 6-9.
- Ashwanikumar and Singh. A.K. (2002) Improving nutrient and water use efficiency through fertigation,. J. Water Management. 10 (1-2): 42-48.
- Bafna, A. M., Daftardar, S.Y. Khade, K.K. Patel P.V. and Dhotre. R.S. (1993) Utilization of nitrogen and water by tomato under drip irrigation system. Water Management, 1(1): 1-5.
- Bastug. R., Karaguzel, O. Aydinsakir K. and Buyuktas. D. (2006) The effects of drip irrigation on flowering and flower quality of glasshouse gladiolus plant. Agric. Water Management, 81:132–144.
- Bucks, D. A. and Davis. S. (1986) Historical development. In: Trickle Irrigation for Crop Production, Design, Operation and Management (Eds. Nakayama, F.S. and D.A. Bucks). Elsevier Sci. Publ., pp. 1-21.
- Cai, X. and Rosegrant. M. W. (2003) World water productivity: current situation and future options. In: Kijne,J.W., Barker,R., Molden, D. (Eds.), Water Productivity in Agriculture: Limits and Opportunities for Improvement. International Water Management Institute (IWMI), Colombo, Sri Lanka, pp. 163–178.
- CWC. (2005) Water and Related Statistics, Ministry of Water Resources, Central Water Commission (CWC), Government of India, New Delhi.
- Debaeke, P. and Aboudrare. A. (2004) Adaptation of crop management to water-limited environments. European J. Agron., 21: 433–446.
- Hagin, J. and Lowengart. Anat (1996) Fertigation for minimizing environmental pollution by fertilizers. Fertilizer Res., 43 (1/3): 5-7.
- Howell, T. (2001) Enhancing water use efficiency in irrigated agriculture. Agron. J., 93 (2): 281–289.
- Jadhav, G.S., Lomte D.M. and Kagde. N.V. (2002) Effect of irrigation and fertigation through drip on productivity and water use efficiency of hybrid cotton. Extended Summaries. Vol.2. International Agronomy Congress. Nov., 26- 30, 2002, New Delhi, India.
- Karthikeyan, D. (2004) Maize – vegetables – mushroom intercropping under drip fertigation. M.Sc.(Ag) thesis, Department of Agronomy. Agricultural crops, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Madurai.
- Lamm, F. R. (2005) SDI for conserving water in corn production. World water and environmental resources congress 2005. Raymond Walton- Editor, may 15-19, 2005, Anchorage, Alaska, USA. p.12.
- Locascio, S. J., Olson S. M. and Rhoads. F. M. (1989) Water quantity and time of N and K application for trickle- irrigated tomatoes. J. American Soc. Hort. Sci., 114: 265-268.
- Malavi, D.D. and Devidayal. (2002) Microirrigation in field crops. A better alternative for improving water use efficiency and productivity. In : Extended Summaries. Vol.2. International Agronomy Congress, Nov. 26-30, 2002, New Delhi, India.
- Martin, G. C., Ferguson L. and Palito. V.S. (1994) Flowering, pollination, fruiting, alternate bearing and abscission. In: Ferguson, L., G. C. Sibbett and G. C. Martin. (Eds.)], Olive Production Manual, no. 3354. Division of agriculture and natural resources, University of California, California.
- Naidu, N.C. and Singh. H.P. (2004) Salient findings and recommendations of Task Force on Microirrigation, Department of Agriculture and Cooperation, Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India, New Delhi.
- Narda, N. K. and Lubana. S. P. (1999) Growth dynamics studies of tomatoes under sub-surface drip irrigation. J. Res. Punjab Agric. Univ., 36(3-4): 222-233.
- Nazirbay, I., S. Evett, R. Esanbekov Y. and Kamilov. B. (2005) Water use of maize for two irrigation methods and two scheduling methods [abstract]. Agronomy Abstract, ASA-CSSA-SSSA, Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Padmakumari, O., and Sivanappan. R.K. (1979) An advanced irrigation methods for better yield in cotton. Madras Agric. J., 66 (3): 174-176.
- Papadopoulos, I. (1991) Fertigation in Cyprus and some other countries of the Near East Region. In: ‘FAO Proceeding fertigation / chemigation’. (FAO: Rome), p. 67-82.
- Papadopoulos, I. (1992) Fertigation of vegetables in plastic-houses: present situation and future prospects. Acta. Hort., 323: 151-174.
- Patel R. S., Patel, P. G. J. C. Patel, M. M. Patel. (2006) Effect of irrigation and nitrogen on growth and yield of brinjal under drip system. J. Maharashtra Agricultural University, 31(2): 173-175.
- Phene, C. J., J. L. Fouss and D. C. Sanders. (1979) Water- nutrient –herbicide management of potatoes with trickle irrigation. American Potato J., 56; 51-59.
- Postal, S., P. Polak., F.Gonzales and J. Keller. (2001) “Drip Irrigation for Small Farmers: A New Initiative to Alleviate Hunger and Poverty”, Water International, 26(1) : 10-15.
- Powell, N. L. and F. S. Wright. 1993. Grain yield of subsurface micro irrigated corn as affected by irrigation line spacing. Agron. J., 85: 1164-1170.
- Rosegrant, W. Mark. (1997) Water Resources in the Twenty-First Century: Challenges and Implications for Action, Food and Agriculture, and the Environment Discussion Paper20, International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington D.C., U.S.A., March.
- Sampathkumar, T., S. Krishnasamy, K. Ramesh and K. Shanmugasundaram. (2006) Effect of drip and surface irrigation methods with rice straw mulch on productivity and water use efficiency of summer cotton. Crop Res., 32(2): 141-144.
- Segal, E. A. Ben- Gal and U. Shani. (2000) Water availability and yield response to high frequency micro-irrigation in sunflower. In: Proceedings of the sixth national microirrigation congress on. ‘Microirrigation technology for developing agriculture’. Conference papers, 22-27 October, South Africa.
- Sivanappan, R. K. (1998) Status, scope and future prospects of micro-irrigation in India. In: Proceedings of a Workshop on Micro-irrigation and Sprinkler Irrigation Systems, 28-30 April, 1998, New Delhi, India, pp. 1-7.
- Sivanappan, R.K. (2005) To overcome the demand for water. Kisan World, 32(8): 47.
- Solaimalai, A., Baskar, M. Sadasakthi A. and Subburamu. K. (2005) Fertigation in high value crops- A review. Agric. Rev., 26(1): 1-13.
- Statistical Hand Book . (2003) Department of Economics and statistics, Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Stegman, E. C. (1986) Efficient irrigation timing methods for corn production. Trans. ASAE., 29: 203-210.
- Surgawanshi, S. (1995) A note on economics of intercropping in autumn grown tomato. Haryana J. Hort. Sci., 10:253-255.
- Vaidyanathan, A., Krishnakumar A., Rajagopal A. and Varatharajan D. (1994) “Impact of Irrigation on Productivity of Land”, J. Indian School of Political Econ., 6(4): 601-645.
- Veerabadran, V., Krishnasamy S. and Shanmugasundaram K. (2003) Research Achievements of AICRP-WM, Madurai from 1971-2000, AICRP on water management, Agricultural College, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Madurai.
- Veerabadran, V., Krishnasamy S. and Shanmugasundaram K. (2004) Influence of fertigation on yield and water use efficiency of crops under microirrigation, Extended Summaries, ICAR National Symposium on Input Use Efficiency in Agriculture – Issues and Strategies, 25-27, November, 2004, College of Agriculture, Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur, Kerala. P. 10-11.
- Viswanathan, G. B., Ramachandrappa B.K. and Nanjappa H. V. (2002) Soil-plant water status and yield of sweet corn (Zea mays L.cv. Saccharata) as influenced by drip irrigation and planting methods. Agric. Water Management, 55(2): 85-91.
- Wentworth, S. and Jacobs B. (2006) Sustainable irrigated maize on sodic soils in the Lachlan Valley. In: Proceedings of the Australian Agronomy Conference, Australian Society of Agronomy.
- Yazar, A., Sezen S.M. and Gencel B. (2002) Drip irrigation of corn in the southeast Anatolia project (GAP) area in turkey. Irrigation & Drainage., 51: 293-300.