Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
The Role of Technology in Nigerian Catfish Production: A Review
First Online 06-01-2022|
This article examines the state of Catfish production in Nigeria and the roles technology has played over the past decades. Heightened demand as a result of increased population puts considerable pressure on production. In response to this pressure aquaculturists ramped up production activities, this demand-driven increase exposes the major gaps as the industry struggles to cope with the absence of fundamental structures like inadequate structured funding, markets, processing and preservation facilities among others. Such gaps exist in all aspects of aquaculture and technology is a viable plug for many of them. The aquaculture of developing nations has certain peculiarities which predispose it to slow development. Many fishermen and aquaculturists in low-income regions are trapped in economic systems that result in relative poverty. Many reasons have been put forward to explain the dynamics behind these consequences with technology playing a major role from the consensus. Rapid advances in hatchery, water quality and molecular technology have been identified as some of the active drivers of Catfish production in Nigeria. The article focuses on the history, progress and prospects of aquaculture technology in Nigeria. It does so by reviewing the technologies already established in Catfish farming and the impact of their roles in balancing fish demand and supply.
- Adewumi, A.A., Olaleye, V.F. (2011). Catfish culture in Nigeria: Progress, prospects and problems. African Journal of Agricultural Research. 6(6): 1281-1285.
- Agresti, J.J., Seki, S., Cnaani, A., Poompuang, S., Hallerman, E.M., Umiel, N., Hulata, G., Gall, G.A.E. and May, B. (2000). Breeding new strains of tilapia: Development of an artificial centre of origin and linkage map based on AFLP and microsatellite loci. Aquaculture. 185: 43-56.
- Akinola, O.A., Akinyemi, A.A. and Bolaji, O. (2006). Evaluation of traditional and solar fish drying systems towards enhancing fish storage and preservation in Nigeria (Abeokuta Local Government as case study). International Journal of Fish. 1: 44-49.
- Alcivar-Warren, A. (2001). Shrimp Map: A genetic approach to understand immune response and disease resistance in shrimp. In Aquaculture 2001: Book of Abstracts, World Aquaculture Society, Baton Rouge, LA, USA, p. 11.
- Alvarez-Pellitero, P. (2008). Fish immunity and parasite infections: from innate immunity to immunoprophylactic prospects. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology. 126: 171-198.
- Amoo, I.A., Akinneye, J.O. and Arannilewa, S.T. (2007). Effect of drying methods on the nutritional composition of three species of fish (Bonga sp. Sardinella sp. and Heterotis niloticus). International Journal of Fish. 2: 99-103.
- Asche, F. et al., (2005). Competition between farmed and wild salmon: The Japanese salmon market. Agricultural Economics. 33(3): 333-340. doi: 10.1111/j.1574-0864.2005.00072.x.
- Barazi-Yeroulanos, L. (2010). Synthesis of the Mediterranean marine Finfish and development strategy for marketing and promotion. Reviews No. 88: Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations.
- Ben-Yami, M. (1984). Technology transfer. Parts 1 and 2. World Fishing (September and October issues).
- Ben-Yami, M. and Anderson, A.M. (1985). Community Fisheries Centers: Guidelines for Establishment and Operation. Fisheries Technical Paper, 264.
- Bolaji, B.O. (2005). Performance Evaluation of a Simple Solar Dryer for Food Preservation. Proceedings of the 6th Annual Engineering Conference of School of Engineering and Technology, May 12-15, 2005, Minna, Nigeria, pp: 8-13.
- Bostock, J. (2009). Use of Information Technology in Aquaculture. In: New Technologies in Aquaculture, Woodhead Publishing. (pp 1064-1118).
- Burridge, L., Weis, J.S., Cabello, F., Pizarro, J. and Bostick, K. (2010). Chemical use in Salmon aquaculture: A review of current practices and possible environmental effects. Aquaculture. 306: 7-23.
- Chi, S.C., Hu, W.W. and Lo, B.J. (1999). Establishment and characterisation of a continuous cell-line (GF-1) derived from grouper, Epinephelus coicoides (Hamilton): A cell line susceptible to grouper nervous necrosis virus (GNNV). Journal of Fish Diseases. 22(3): 173-182.
- Clucas, I. and A.R. Ward, (1996). Post-Harvest Fisheries Development: A Guide to Handling, Preservation, Processing and Quality. National Research Institute, UK., ISBN-13: 9780859544 412, pages: 443.
- Compte, C., Mouchon, J., Challe, O. and Noaro, P. (1984). Décoder le journal télévisé. Belc.
- Costello M.J. (2009). How sea lice from salmon farms may cause wild salmonid declines in Europe and North America and be a threat to fisheries elsewhere. Biological Sciences. 276: 3385-3394.
- Dauda, A.B, Folorunso, L.A, Dasuki, A. (2013). Use of probiotics for sustainable aquaculture production in Nigeria. Journal of Agriculture and Social Research. 13: 35-45.
- Dauda, A.B., Natrah, I., Karim, M., Kamarudin, M.S., Bichi, A.H. (2018). African catfish aquaculture in Malaysia and Nigeria: Status, trends and prospects. Fish and Aquaculture Journal. 9: 237. doi:10.4172/2150-3508.1000237.
- Davies, O.A., R.M. Davies and D.O. Bekibele, (2008). Fish processing technologies in Rivers State. Nigeria Journal of Applied Science. 3: 548-552.
- Davies, R.M., (2005). Development of Appropriate Technology of Fish Processing in Nigeria. Proceedings of the Workshop on Intensive Fish Farming, February 24th, 2005, Nigeria.
- Durand, S., Lightner, D.V., Nunan, L.M., Redman, R.M., Mari, J., and Bonami J.R. (1996). Application of gene probes as diagnostic tools for white spot baculovirus (WSBV) of penaeid shrimp. Aquatic Disease Organisation. 27(1): 59-66.
- Emmanuel, O., Chinenye, A., Oluwatobi, A. and Peter, K. (2014). Review of Aquaculture Production and Management in Nigeria. American Journal of Experimental Agriculture. 4(10): 1137-51.
- Eves, A. and R. Brow, (1993). Effect of tradition al drying process on the nutritional value of fish. Journal of Tropical Science. 33: 183-189.
- FAO (2010). FAO Fishstat Fisheries Statistical Data. Rome: FAO. Available online at: http://www.fao.org/fishery/statistics/ en (verified 11 October 2010).
- FAO (2016). Cultured Aquatic Species Information Programme: Clarias gariepinus. Fisheries and Aquaculture Department, Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, Rome.
- FAO and NACA. (2001). Asia Diagnostic Guide to Aquatic Animal Diseases. FAO Fish.
- Forster, J. (2008). Emerging Technologies in Marine Aquaculture. In Offshore Aquaculture in the United States: Economic Consideration, Implication and Opportunities (Ed. M. Rubino), pp 51-72.
- Fredheim, A. and Langan, R. (2009). Advances in Technology for Off-shore and Open Ocean Aquaculture. In: New Technologies in Aquaculture: Improving Production Efficiency, Quality and Environmental Management [(Eds) G. Allen and G. Burnell], Cambridge, UK: Woodhead Publishing. pp. 914-944.
- Glover, K.A., Hansen, M.M. and Skaala, O. (2009). Identifying the source of farmed escaped Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): Bayesian clustering analysis increases accuracy of assignment. Aquaculture. 290: 37-46.
- Grema, H.A., Geidam Y.A., Egwu G.O. (2011). Fish Production in Nigeria: An Update. Nigerian Veterinary Journal. 32(3): 40-51.
- Groff, J.M. and La Patra, S.E. (2000). Infectious diseases impacting the commercial culture of Salmonids. Journal of Applied Aquaculture. 10(4): 17-90.
- Houston, R.D., Haley, C.S., Hamilton, A., Guy, D.R., Mota-Velasco, J.C., Gheyas, A.A., Tinch, A.E., et al. (2010). The susceptibility of Atlantic salmon fry to freshwater infectious pancreatic necrosis is largely explained by a major QTL. Heredity. 105: 318-327.
- Joffre, O.M., Klerkx, L., Dickson, M., Verdegem, M. (2017). How is innovation in aquaculture conceptualized and managed? A systematic literature review and reflection framework to inform analysis and action. Aquaculture. 470: 129-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2016.12.020.
- Joshua, A. and Omidiji, M.O. (2002). Rural development strategy in Nigeria, West and Central Africa. Paper presented at the international workshop on rural development in West and Central Africa. IITA, Ibadan. June 3-5.
- Kocher, T.D., Lee, W.J., Sobolewska, H., Penman, D. and McAndrew, B. (1998). A genetic linkage map of a cichlid fish, the tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). Genetics. 148(3): 1225-1232.
- Kumar, G., Engle C.R. (2016). Technological advances that led to growth of shrimp, salmon and tilapia farming. Reviews in Fisheries Science and Aquaculture. 24: 136-152.
- Lazard, J., Baruthio, A., Mathe, S., Rey-Valette, H., Chia, E., Clement, O., Aubin, J., Morissens, P., Mikolasek, O., Legendre, M., Levang, P., Blancheton, J.P. and Rene, F. (2010). Aquaculture system diversity and sustainable development: Fish farms and their representation. Aquatic Living Resources. 23: 187-198.
- Madu, C.T., Okoye, F.E., Sado, E.K., Omorinkoba, W.S., Bankole, N.O. and Ita, E.O. (1984). A Preliminary Report of Induced Breeding Trials with the Mud Fish (Clarias anguillaris). KLRI Annual Report, Kainji Lake Research Institute, pp: 144-159.
- Mcarthur, M.J., Sachs, D.J. (2002). The Growth Competitiveness Index: Measuring Technological Advancement and the Stages of Development. In: The Global Competitiveness Report 2001-2002. [Porter, M.E., Sachs, J.D. et al (eds)], Oxford University Press, New York, pp 28-51.
- Mcginnity, P., Prodöhl, P., Ferguson, A., Hynes, R., Maoiléidigh, N., Baker, N., Cotter, D., O’hea, B., Cooke, D., Rogan, G., Taggart, J. and Cross, T. (2003). Fitness reduction and potential extinction of wild populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, as a result of interactions with escaped farm salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 270: 2443-2450.
- Mendoza, R., De Dios, A., Vasquez, C., Cruz, E., Ricque, D. Aguilera, C. and Montemayor, J. (2001). Fishmeal replacement with feather-enzymatic hydrolyzates co-extruded with soyabean meal in practical diets for the Pacific white shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei). Aquaculture Nutrition. 7(3): 143-151.
- Mialhe, E., Bachere, E., Boulo, V., Cadoret, J.P., Rousseau, C., Cedeno, V. and Colwell, R.R. (1995). Future of biotechnology-based control of disease in marine invertebrates. Molecular Marine Biology and Biotechnology. 4(4): 275-283.
- Muir, W.M (2005). Incorporation of competitive effects in forest tree or animal breeding programs Genetics. 170: 1247-1259.
- National Research Council, (1988). National Research Council (US). Committee on Techniques for Estimating Probabilities of Extreme Floods and National Research Council Staff. Estimating probabilities of extreme floods: Methods and Recommended Research. National Academies.
- Naylor, R.L., Goldburg, R.J., Primavera, J.H., Kautsky, N., Beveridge, M.C.M., Clay, J., Folke, C., Lubchenko, J., Mooney, H. and Troell, C. (2000). Effect of aquaculture on world fish supplies. Nature. 405(6790): 1017-1024.
- Nwachukwu, I. and Onuegbu, R. (2007). Adoption of Aquaculture technology by Fish Farmers in Imo State Nigeria. Journal of Technology Studies. 33(1): 57-64.
- Ogah S.I, Kamarudin M.S, Nurul-Amin S.M, Puteri-Edaroyati M.W. (2020). Biological filtration properties of selected herbs in an aquaponic system. Aquaculture Research. 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/are.14526.
- Ogah, S.I., Kamarudin, M.S., Nurul-Amin, S.M., Puteri-Edaroyati, M.W. (2020). Nutrient recycling through aquaponics and night-lighting. Journal of Environmental Biology. 41: 1113-1125.
- OIE. (2000). Diagnostic Manual for Aquatic Animal Diseases. 3rd edn. Office International des Epizooties, Paris, France, 237 pp.
- Olokor, I.O., (1997). Solar tent an adoptable fish preservation technology in Kainji Lake Basin. Nigerian-German (GTZ) Kainji Lake Fisheries Promotion Project, New Bussa, Nigeria.
- Oyeleye, O., (2003). Export potentials of smoked fish trade in Nigeria. The Guardian 19(8916): 27, Guardian Newspaper Publication, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Ozigbo, E., Anyadike, C., Adegbite O., Kolawole P. (2014). Review of Aquaculture Production and Management in Nigeria. Journal of Experimental Agriculture. 4(10): 1137-1151.
- Papatryphon, E. and Soares, J.H. (2001). The effects of phytase on apparent digestibility of four practical plant feedstuffs fed to striped bass, Moronesaxatilis. Aquaculture Nutrition. 7(3): 161-167.
- Peeler, E.J., Murray, A.G., Thebault, A., Brun, E., Giovaninni, A. and Thrush, M.A. (2007). The application of risk analysis in aquatic animal health management. Preventive Veterinary Medicine. 81: 3-20.
- Poggie, J.J. (1980). Small-scale fisherman’s psychocultural characteristics and cooperative formation. Anthropology. Quarterly. 53: 1-3.
- Pollnac, R.B. (1985). Social and cultural characteristics in small scale fishery development: Putting people first sociological variables in rural development. Marine and Freshwater Behaviour and Physiology. 23: 189-223.
- Pulkkinen, K., Suomalainen, L.R., Read, A.F., Ebert, D., Rintamäki, P. and Valtonen, E.T. (2010). Intensive fish farming and the evolution of pathogen virulence: The case of Columnaris disease in Finland. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Science. 277: 593-600.
- Quick, N.J., Middlemas, S.J. and Armstrong, J.D. (2004). A survey of antipredator controls at marine salmon farms in Scotland. Aquaculture. 230: 169-180.
- Rao, P.S. and Sudha, P.M. (1996). Emerging Trends in Shrimp Farming. Fishing Chimes. 16: 25-26.
- Refstie, S. and Åsgård, T.E. (2009). Advances in Aquaculture Feeds and Feeding: Salmonids. In New Technologies in Aquaculture: Improving Production Efficiency, Quality and Environmental Management, [(Eds) G. Allen and G. Burnell], Cambridge, UK: Woodhead Publishing. pp. 498-541.
- Renault, T. (2009). Controlling Viral Diseases in Aquaculture: New Developments: New Technologies and Prospects. In: New Technologies in Aquaculture: Improving Production Efficiency, Quality and Environmental Management, ch. 9 [(eds) G. Burnell and G. Allan], Oxford, UK: Woodhead Publishing. pp. 244-266.
- Ross, L.G., Handisyde, N. and Nimmo, D.C. (2009). Spatial Decision Support in Aquaculture: The Role of Geographical Information Systems and Remote Sensing. In: New Technologies in Aquaculture: Improving Production Efficiency, Quality and Environmental Management [(Eds) G. Allen and G. Burnell], Cambridge, UK: Woodhead Publishing. pp. 707-749.
- Taylor, D.H. and Fearne, A. (2009). Demand management in fresh food value chains: A framework for analysis and improvement. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal. 14: 379-392.
- Vielma, J., Makinen, T., Ekholm, P. and Koskela, J. (2000). Influence of dietary soy and phytase levels on performance and body composition of large rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and algal availability of phosphorus load. Aquaculture. 183(3-4): 349-362.
- Waite, R., Beveridge, M., Brummett, R.E., Castine, S., Chaiyawannakarn, N., Kaushik, S., Mungkung, R., Nawapakpilai, S., Phillips, M. (2014). Improving productivity and environmental performance of aquaculture. Working Paper, Installment 5 of the Creating a Sustainable Future. World Resources Institute, Washington, DC.
- Walker, P. and Subasinghe, R. (eds.) (2000). DNA-based molecular diagnostic techniques: research needs for standardisation and validation of the detection of aquatic animal pathogens and diseases. Report and proceedings of the Expert Workshop on DNA-based Molecular Diagnostic Techniques: Research Needs for Standardization and Validation of the Detection of Aquatic Animal Pathogens and Diseases. Bangkok, Thailand, 7-9 February 1999, FAO Fish. Techn. Pap. No. 395: 93.
- Walsh, D.M., Klyubin, I., Fadeeva, J.V., Cullen, W.K., Anwyl, R., Wolfe, M.S. and Selkoe, D.J. (2002). Naturally secreted oligomers of amyloid β protein potently inhibit hippocampal long-term potentiation in vivo. Nature. 416(6880): 535-539.
- Ward, A.J., Botham, M.S., Hoare, D.J., James, R., Broom, M., Godin, J.G.J. and Krause, J. (2002). Association patterns and shoal fidelity in the three-spined stickleback. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences. 269(1508): 2451-2455.
- Watanabe, W.O., Ellis, S.C. and Chaves, J. (2001). Effects of dietary lipid and energy to protein ratio on growth and feed utilization of juvenile mutton snapper Lutjanus analis fed isonitrogenous diets at two temperatures. Journal of World Aquaculture Society. 32(1): 30-40.
- Wong, A.C. and Van Eenennaam, A.L. (2008). Transgenic approaches for the reproductive containment of genetically engineered fish. Aquaculture. 275: 1-12.
- Wuyep, S.Z.; Rampedi, I.T. (2018). Urban Fish Farming in Jos, Nigeria: Contributions towards Employment Opportunities, Income Generation and Poverty Alleviation for Improved Livelihoods. Agriculture. 8(7): 110-117. https://doi.org/ 10.3390/agriculture8070110.
- Yagi, N., Senda, Y. and Ariji, M. (2008). Panel data analyses to examine effects of subsidies to fishery productions in OECD countries. Fisheries Science. 74(6): 1229-1234.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.