Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Effect of Seed Ageing in Biochemical and Molecular Changes in Oilseeds: A Review
First Online 17-12-2020|
- Abdalla, F.H. and Roberts, E.H. (1968). Effects of temperature moisture and oxygen on the induction of chromosome damage in seeds of barley, broad beans and peas during storage. Annals of Botany. 32: 119-136.
- Abu-Shakara, S.S and Ching, T.M. (1967). Mitochondrial Activty in germinating new and old soybean seeds. Crop Science. 7: 115-118.
- Agrawal P.K., Kharlukhi, (1987). Enzyme activities in seeds during storage. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 25: 719-722.
- Aiazzi, M.T., Arguello, J.A., Perez, A., Rienzo, J. di., Guzman, C.A. (1997). Deterioration in Atriplex cordobensis seeds, natural and accelerated ageing. Seed Science and Technology. 25: 147-155.
- Alina Dawidowicz- Grzegorzewska andrezej Podstolski (1992). Age related changes in the ultra-structure and membrane properties of Brassica napus L. seeds. Annals of Botany. 69(1): 39-46.
- Ann Cuypers, Michelle Plusquin, Karen Smeets (2010). Cadmium stress on oxidative challenge. Biometals. 23: 927-940.
- Bailly, C (2004). Active oxygen species and antioxidant in seed biology. Seed Science Research. 14(2): 93-107.
- Bailly, C., Benamar, A., Corbineau, F., Come, D. (1998). Free radical scavenging as affected by accelerated ageing and subsequent priming in sunflower seeds. Physiologia Plantarum. 104: 646-652.
- Balesevic-Tubic S., Malencic, D., Tatic, M., Miladinovic, J. (2005). Influence of ageing processes on biochemical changes in sunflower seeds. Hellia. 28(42): 107-114.
- Barton Lela Viola (1961). Seed preservation and longevity. Leonard Hill, London.
- Bednarek, P.T., Chwdorzewska, K. and Puchalski. (1998). Preliminary molecular studies on genetic changes in rye seeds due to long term storage and regeneration. In: Challenges in RYE Germlasm Conservation. International Plant Genetic Resources Institute.
- Braccini, E., Mucio Silva Reis., Maurilio Alves Moreira, Carlos sigueyuki Sediyama and Carlos Alberto Scapim (2000). Biochemical changes associated to soybean seeds osmoconditioning during storage. Brazilian Agriculture Research. 35(2): 433-447.
- Chwedorzewska, K.J., Bednarek, P.T., Puchalski, J. (2002). AFLP- profiling long term stored and regenerated rye gene bank samples. Cellular and Molecular Biology Letters. 7: 457-463.
- Coello, P. and Vazquez- Ramos, J.M. (1996). Maize DNA Polymerase 2 (an alpha type enzyme) stutters major damage after seed deterioration. Seed Science Research. 6: 1-7.
- Copeland, L.O. and McDonald, M.B. (1995). Seed Science Technology. Chapman and Hall, New York, pp. 409.
- David, A. Priestly, Carl Leopold (1979). Absence of Lipid Oxidation during accelerated ageing of soybean seeds. Plant Physiology. 63(4): 726-729.
- Delouche, J.C., Gill, N.S. (1973). Deterioration of seed ccorn during storage. Proceedings of the Association of the Official Seed Analysis. 63: 33-50.
- Dey, P.G. and Mukharjee, R.K. (1988). Invigoration of dry seeds with physiologically active chemicals in organic solvents. Seed Science Technology. 16: 145-153.
- Ellis, R.H., Hong, T.D., Roberts, E.H. (1991). Effect of storage temperature and moisture on the germination of papaya. Seed Science Research. 1: 69-72.
- Ferguson, J.M., Tekrony, D.M., Egil, D.B. (1990). Changes during early soybean seed and axes deterioration. Crop Science. 30: 179-182.
- Hydecker W. (1972). Vigour in Viability of Seeds. [(Ed.) E.H. Roberts]. Chapman and Hall Co. Ltd. London. 209-225.
- Justice, O.L. and Bass, L.N. (1978). Principles and Practices of Seed Storage. USDA Agricultural Handbook 506. U.S Govt. Print Office, Washington. D.C.
- Kalpana, R. and Madhavarao, K.V. (1997). Protein metabolism of seeds of pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan L.) cultvars during accelerated ageing. Seed Science and Technology. 25: 271-279.
- Kozlowski, T.T., Oren L. Justice (2012). Essentials of seed testing. Seed Biology. 3: 301-370.
- Kranner, I. and Gill, D. (1996). Significance of thiol-disulfide exchange in resting stages of plant development. Botanica Acta. 109: 8-14.
- Larson, R.A. (1997). Naturally Occurring Antioxidants. [(Ed.) Larson, R.A.] Lewis Publications, Boca Raton.
- Maity, R.K., Sergio Moreno Limon, Pedro Wesche., Beling, E. (2000). Responses of some crops to various abiotic stress factors and its physiological and biochemical basis of resistances: A review. Agricultural Reviews. 21(3): 155-167.
- McDonald, M.B. (1999). Seed Deterioration:Physiology, repair and assessment. Seed Science and Technology. 27: 177-237.
- Murthy, U.M.N., Liang, Y.H., Kumar, P.P. and Sun, W.Q. (2002). Non enzymatic protein modification by the maillard reaction reduces the activities of the scavenging enzymes on Vigna radiate. Physiologa Plantarum. 115: 213-220.
- Narayanaswamy, S. (2003). Effect of packaging and location of storage on groundnut seed. Proceedings of National Workshop on Groundnut Seed Technology, 6-7.
- Nawrot, T.S., Van Hecke, E., Thijs, L. (2008). Cadmium related mortality and long term secular trnds in the cadmium body burden of an environmentally exposed population. Emvironment Health Perspect. 116(12): 1620-8.
- Ognjanovic, B.I., Pavlovic, S.Z., Maletic, S.D. (2008). Effect of chronic cadmium exposure on antioxidant defense system in some tissues of rats: protective effect of selenium. Physiology Research. 57(3): 403-411.
- Paramasivam, K., Jayasekhar, M., Rajasekharan, R., Veerabadhiran, P. (1990). Inheritance of rust resistance in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.). Madras Agricultural Journal. 77(1): 50-52.
- Preistley, D.A., Cullinam, V.I. and Wolfe, J. (1985). Difference in seed longevity at the species level. Plant Cell and Environment. 8: 557-562.
- Priestly, D.A. (1986). Seed ageing; Implications for seed storage and persistence in the soil. Ithaca Cornell University Press, London.
- Ravikumar, R., Anathakrishnan, G., Ganapathi, A., Appasamy, T. (1998). Biochemical changes induced by ageing in Bambusa bambos seeds. Biologica Plantarum. 40: 459-464.
- Roberts, E.H. (1972). Dormancy a factor affecting seed survival in the soil. In: Viability of Seeds, (Ed. Roberts, E.H) Chapman and Hali, London, 321-359, pp. 448.
- Roldan- Arjona., Ariza, R. (2008). Arabidopsis DEMETER-LIKE proteins DML2 and DML3 are required for appropriate distribution of DNA methylation marks. Plant Molecular Biology. 67: 671-681.
- Schoen, D.J., David, J.L and Bataillon, T.M. (1998). Deleterious mutation accumulation and the regeneration of genetic resources. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 394-399.
- Shatters, R.G., Abdelghany, A., Elbagoury, O. and West, S.H. (1994). Soybean Seed Deterioration and response to osmotic priming: changes in specific enzyme activities in extracts from dry and germinating seeds. Seed Science Research. 4: 33-41.
- Smith, J.S.C. (1995). Identification of cultivated varieties by nucleotide analysis. In:Identification of Food Grain Varieties. [(Ed.) Wrigley, C.W], A.A.C.C., USA, pp. 131-150.
- Srivastava, A.K., Gill, M.K. (1975). Physiology and biochemistry of seed deterioration in soybean during storage. Research Advances Plant Sciences.
- Tilebeni, H.G., Golpayegani, A. (2011). Effect of seed ageing on physiological and biochemical changes in rice seed. International Journal of Agricultural Science. 1(3): 138-143.
- Verma, V.D. and Ram, H.H. (1987). Genetics of electrical conductivity on soybean. Seed Science and Technology. 15: 125-134.
- Walters, C. (1998). Understanding the mechanism and kinetics of seed ageing. Seed Science Research. 8: 223-224.
- Wettlaufer, H.S., Carl Leopold (1991). Relevance of Amadari and Maillard products to seed deterioration. Plant Physiology. 17(1): 165-169.
- Wilson, D.O. and Mc Donald, M.B. (1986). The lipid peroxidation model of seed ageing. Seed Science and Technology. 14(2): 269-300.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.