Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Irrigation Scheduling through Drip/Surface Method: A Review on Growth, Yield, Nutrient Uptake and Water Productivity of Wheat
First Online 25-09-2020|
- Abd El-Ghany, H.M., Abd El-Salam, M.S., Hozyen, M and Afifi, M.H.M. (2012). Effect of deficit irrigation on some growth stages of wheat. Journal of Applied Sciences Research. 8(5): 2776-2784.
- Abd El-Rahman, G. (2009). Water use efficiency of wheat under drip irrigation systems at Al-Maghara area, North Sinai, Egypt. American-Eurasian Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Science. 5(5): 664-670.
- Abo-Warda, A.M.A., (2002). Evaluation of some wheat genotypes under different irrigation treatments and nitrogen levels in sandy soil. Journal of Agricultural Research. Minufiya University, 21(2): 181-196. Egypt.
- Agarwal, P., Garg, R.N., Singh, A.K., Singh, S., Yadav, A.L and Sharma, A.M. (2000). Assessment of bed planting system in maize for enhancing water use efficiency. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Managing Natural Resources for Sustainable Agricultural Production in 21st century, IARI, Indian Society of Soil Sciences, New Delhi, India, February 14-18, pp. 175-176.
- Allen, R.G., Pereira, L.S., Raes, D and Smith, M. (1998). Crop evapotranspiration-guideline for computing crop water requirement. FAO Irrigation and Drainage paper. 56, Rome Italy, pp.-299.
- Anu Varughese and Habeeburrahman, P.V. (2015). Fertigation and plastic mulching in tomato and brinjal – A review. Agricultural Reviews. 36(3): 246-249.
- Arora, V.K., Harbakhshinder Singh and Bijay Singh (2007). Analyzing wheat productivity responses to climatic, irrigation and fertilizer-nitrogen regimes in a semi-arid sub-tropical environment using the CERES-Wheat model. Agricultural Water Management. 94: 1-3, 22-30.
- Bandyopadhyay, P.K and Mallick, S. (2003). Actual evapotranspiration and crop coefficient of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) under varied moisture levels of humid tropical canal command area. Agricultural Water Management. 59: 33-47.
- Bhaliya, P.J. Parmar, M.T and Patel, J.C. (1983). Response of wheat to irrigation based on IW/CPE ratio under different nitrogen levels. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 28(3): 311-312.
- Brahma, R., Janawade, A.D and Palled, Y.B. (2007). Effect of irrigation schedules, mulch and antitranspirant on growth, yield and economics of wheat (cv. DWR-1006). Karnatak Journal of Agriculture Science. 20(1): 6-9.
- Clinton, C., Shock Erik, Feibert, B.G., Lamont, D and Saunders (2005). Water management for drip irrigated spring wheat. Malheur Experiment Station, Oregon State University Ontario, Dept. of Crop and Soil Science.
- Dandan, Z., Shen Jiayin, Lang Kun, Liu Quanru and Li Quanqi (2013). Effects of irrigation and wide-precision planting on water use, radiation interception and grain yield of winter wheat in the North China Plain. Agricultural Water Management. vol. 118, issue C, pages 87-92.
- Dawood, R.A and Kheiralla, K.A. (1994). Effect of watering regime and nitrogen fertilization on the productivity and quality of bread and durum wheat cultivars. Ass. Journal of Agriculture Science. 25: 1.
- Dilip, H and Madakini. (1993). Micro irrigation- An advanced technique on sugarcane. National Workshop on Micro Irrigation Techniques in Sugarcane. Vasantada Sugar Institute. pp: 4-7.
- Ehdaie, B. (1995). Variation in water use efficiency and its components in wheat II. Pot and field experiments. Crop Science. 35: 1617-1626.
- Gupta, P.K., Paradkar, V.K., Raghuwanshi, R.K.S. and Rande, D.H. (1990). Effect of depth and frequency of irrigation on performance of wheat grown in sodic type chromustert. Journal of Indian Society of Soil Science. 38: 1-5.
- Harby Mostafa, Reham, El-Nady, Montaser Awad, Mohamed El-Ansary (2018). Drip irrigation management for wheat under clay soil in arid conditions. Ecological Engineering. 121(1): 35-43.
- Hassan, R.K. (2003). Effect of drought stress on yield and yield components of some wheat and triticale genotypes. Annals of Agricultural Science. Ain Shams Univ. Egypt. 48(1): 117-129.
- Hooda, I.S and Agarwal, S.K. (1987). Studies on irrigation, weed control and fertility levels on growth and yield of wheat. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 32: 261-264.
- Idnani, L.K. and Ashok Kumar. (2012). Relative efficiency of different irrigation schedules for conventional, ridge and raised bed seeding of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 57(2): 148-151.
- Jat, R.L and Das, D.K. (1983). Soil water flux and water use by wheat as influenced by different soil moisture regimes and nitrogen levels. J. Nucl. Agric. BioI. 12: 10-12.
- Kamilov, B., Evett, S., Ibragimov, N., Bezborodov, G., Esanbekov, Y and Lamers, J. (2004). Water use of winter wheat for two irrigation and scheduling methods in Uzbekistan. Uzbekistan National Cotton Growing Research Institute, poster presentation.
- Kang, S., Zhang, L., Ling, Y., Hu, X., Cai, H and Gu, B. (2002). Effects of limited irrigation on yield and water use efficiency of winter wheat in the loess plateau of China. Agricultural Water Management. 55: 203-216.
- Kassab, O.M and El-Zeiny, H.A. (2005). Effect of water stress and paclobutrazol application on growth and yield of wheat plants. Journal of Agricultural Science. Mansoura Univ. Egypt, 30(4): 1881-1888.
- Kiani, A.R and Abbasi, F. (2009). Assessment of the water-salinity crop production function of wheat using experimental data of the Golestan Province, Iran. Irrigation and Drainage. 58: 445-455.
- Kibe, A.M and Singh, S. (2003). Influence of irrigation, nitrogen and zinc on productivity and water use by late sown wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 48(3): 186-191.
- Kumar, A., Sharma, D.K and Sharma, H.C. (1994). Growth, yield and water use efficiency of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) as influenced by irrigation and nitrogen in sodic soils. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 39(2): 220-224.
- Liao, L., Zhang, L and Bengtsson, L. (2008). Soil moisture variation and water consumption of spring wheat and their effects on crop yield under drip irrigation. Irrigation and Drainage Systems. 22(3-4): 253-270.
- Lokhande, J.N., Deshmukh, M.M., Bal Krishna and Wadatkar, S.B. (2019). Maximizing Yield and Water Use Efficiency of Wheat Crop Using Drip Irrigation Systems. International Journal Current Microbiology and Applied Science. 8(7): 2647-2655.
- Mahdi, M. Al-Kasi., Abdel Berrada and Mark Stack. (1997). Evaluation of irrigation scheduling programme and spring wheat yield response in southwestern Colorado. Agricultural Water Management. 34: 137-148.
- Mallick, S., Naveen Kalra and Nagarajarao, (1981). Field water balance and water use efficiency of wheat under shallow water table condition. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 26(4): 435-441.
- Malve S.H., Rao P. V and Dhake A. (2017). Impact of drip irrigation and N-fertigation scheduling on wheat (Triticum aestivium L.) under semi-arid tropical environment. Indian Journal of Agricultural Science. 87(5): 580-588.
- Malve S.H., Rao P. V and Dhake A. (2017). Yield and nutrient uptake of drip irrigated wheat under varying irrigation and nitrogen levels. Multilogic in Science, VII, XXIV, 2017: 21-25.
- Mishra, R.K., Pandey, N and Bajpai, R.P. (1994). Influence of irrigation and nitrogen on yield and water use pattern of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 39(4): 560-564.
- Mohamed, A.I.S. (1999). Promising durum wheat genotypes under normal and stress growing conditions northern Sudan. Rachis. C.F.P.B. Abstract 18(2): 64-66.
- Montazer, A and Azadegan, B. (2012). Effect of seasonal water use and applied N fertilizer on wheat water productivity indices. Irrigation and Drainage. 61: 52-59.
- Nasseri, A and Fallahi, H.A. (2007). Water use efficiency of winter wheat under deficit irrigation. Journal of Biological Sciences. 7: 19-26.
- Pal, S.K., Thakur, R., Verma, U.N and Singh, M.K. (1996b). Water requirement of wheat as influenced by irrigation, seedling time and fertilizer. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 66(6): 328-332.
- Pal, S.K., Thakur, U.N., Verma, Singh, M.K and Upsani, R.R. (2001). Water requirement of late sown wheat (Triticum aestivum) under limited water availability in Jharkhand plateau. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 46(3): 468-474.
- Panda, S.C., Gulati, J.M.L and Mishra, B. (1988). Effect of water regime and nitrogen on wheat. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 33: 364-367.
- Pandey, R.K., Maranville, J.W and Admou, A. (2000). Deficit irrigation and nitrogen effects on maize in a Sahelian environment: Grain yield and yield components. Agricultural Water Management. 46: 1-13.
- Parihar S.S and Tiwari, R.B. (2003). Effect of irrigation and nitrogen level on yield, nutrient uptake and water use of late sown wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 48: 103-107.
- Payero, J.O., David, D., Tarkalson, Suat Irmak, Don Davison, James, L and Petersen (2008). Effect of irrigation amounts applied with subsurface drip irrigation on corn evapotranspiration, yield, water use efficiency and dry matter production in semiarid climate. Agricultural Water Management, Doi: 10.1016/j.agwat.
- Perveen, S., Krishnamurthy, C.K., Sidhu, R.S., Vatta, K., Balijnder, K., Modi, V., Fishman, R., polycarpous, L and Lall, U. (2012). Restoring groundwater in Punjab, India’s bread basket: Finding agricultural solution for water sustainability. Columbia water centre white paper. pp. 12.
- Rajput, J.B.S and Patel, N. (2006). Water and nitrate movement in drip irrigated onion under fertigation and irrigation treatments. Agricultural Water Management. 79(3): 293-311.
- Ramajan R. Mayti, Published by Pushpa Publishing House, Kolkata, India. 166-202.
- Rao, P.V., Rao, P.R. and Ramanjanayulu A.V. (2014). Micro irrigation technique for improved and sustainable crop production. Advance in Agro-technology (eds.) - Rodrigaez, Hg NC Sarkar
- Reddy, M.S and Shastry, V.V.K. (1983). Effect of irrigation level of phosphorus and potassium movement in red loam soil of Andhra Pradesh. Journal of Indian Society of Soil Science. 31: 8-12.
- Sandhu, O.S., Gupta, R.K., Thind, H.S., Jat, M.L., Sidhu, H.S. and Singh, Y. (2019). Drip irrigation and nitrogen management for improving crop yields, nitrogen use efficiency and water productivity of maize-wheat system on permanent beds in north-west India. Agricultural Water Management. Volume 219, 20 June 2019, Pages 19-26.
- Saren, B.K and Jana, P.K. (2001). Effect of depth of irrigation and level and time of nitrogen application on growth, yield and nutrient uptake by wheat (Triticum aestivum). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 46(2): 227-232.
- Schahbazian, N., Eitzinger, J., Montazar, A., Akban, G and Allahdadi, I. (2007). Using simulation models to improve irrigation on water application. Pakistan Journal of Water Resources. 11: 2.
- Shao, L. Xiying Zhang, Suying Chen, Hongyong Sun and Zhenhua Wang. (2009). Effect of irrigation frequency under limited irrigation on root water uptake, yield and water use efficiency of winter wheat. Irrigation and Drainage. 58: 393-405.
- Sharan, A.N., Abd El - Samie, F.S and Abd El-Gawad, I.A. (2000). Response of wheat varieties (Triticum aestivum L.) to some environmental influence: Effect of planting date and drought at different plant stages on yield and its components. In: Proc. 9th Conf. Agron. Minofiya Univ., Egypt. pp: 1-5.
- Shaymaa, I., Shedeed., Sahar, M and Yassen, A.A. (2009). Effect of method and rate of fertilizer application under drip irrigation on yield and nutrient uptake by tomato. Ozean Journal of Applied Science. 2(2): 139-147.
- Silungwe, F.R., Mahoo, H.F and Kashaigili, J.J. (2010). Evaluation of water productivity for maize under drip irrigation. Second RUFORUM Biennial Meeting. 20-24, September 2010, Entebbe, Uganda. 725-728.
- Singh, L., Singh C.M and Singh, G.R. (2012). Response of bed planted wheat (Tritcum aestivum L.) under the different moisture regime on water use and it’s efficiency. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 4(11): 4941-4945.
- Singh, R.D., Singh, J.P and Kailash Prasad. (1981). Irrigation to wheat in relation to open pan evaporation in the Sone command area of Bihar. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 26 (1): 59-61.
- Singh, S and Bhan, V.M. (1998). Response of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) sown after rice (Oryza sativa L.). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 39(1): 162-166.
- Singh, S.K. and Singh, N.P. (1977). Monograph 4. Water technology centre. Indian Agriculture Research Institute. New Delhi.
- Singh, V. Bhunia, S. R and Chauhan R.P.S. (2003). Response of late sown wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) to row spacing cum population densities and levels of nitrogen and irrigation in Northern Western Rajasthan. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 48(3): 178-181.
- Singh, V.P and Singh, M. (1983). Effect of soil moisture regime and flag leaf removal on nutrient uptake by wheat. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 28(4): 383-388.
- Sivanappan, R.K. (1996). Studies on the use of micro irrigation system in crop production. In: Micro Irrigation and Fertigation. Ravi publications, Bangalore: 16-35.
- Tanmoy Bhowmik, A.K. Bhardwaj, T. Pandiaraj and Arnab Roy (2018). Productivity, water use efficiency and profitability of drip irrigated wheat (Triticum aestivum) in Indo-Gangatic Plains of Uttarakhand, India. International Journal Current Microbiology and Applied Science. 7(2): 3185-3191.
- Tomar, R.K.S., Raghu, J.S., Yadav, L.N. and Ghuraya, R.S. (1993). Response of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) varieties to irrigation under different fertility levels. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 38(2): 291-293.
- Verma, S.U., Sanjeev Kumar, Pal, S.K and Thakur, R. (2003). Growth analysis of wheat cultivars under different seedlings dates and irrigation levels in Jharkhand. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 48(4): 282-286.
- Vijaykumar, P. (2009). Optimization of water and nutrient requirement for yield maximization in hybrid rice under drip fertigation system rice (Oryza sativa L.). M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Yadav, G.L and Verma, J.K. (1991). Effect of irrigation regime, nitrogen and zinc fertilization on growth and yield of late sown wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 36(1): 50-56.
- Yenesew, M and Tilahun, K. (2009). Yield and water use efficiency of deficit irrigated maize in semi-arid region of Ethiopia. School of Agricultural and Wine Sciences. Australia. 1651.
- Zhang, B., Li, F.M., Gaobao, H., Cheng, Z. Y and Zhang, Y. (2006). Yield performance of spring wheat improved by regulated deficit irrigation in an arid area. Agricultural Water Management. 79: 28-42.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.