Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System in Water Erosion Assessment
First Online 18-06-2020|
- Abdelrahman, M.A.E., Natarajan, A., Srinivasamurthy, C.A. and Hegde, R. (2016). Estimating soil fertility status in physically degraded land using GIS and remote sensing techniques in Chamarajanagar district, Karnataka, India. The Egyptian Journal of Remote Sensing and Space Sciences. 19: 95-108.
- Ajai, Arya, A.S., Dhinwa, P.S., Pathan, S.K., Raj, and K.G. (2009). Desertification/ land degradation status mapping of India. Current Science. 97: 1478-1483.
- Alexakis. D.D., Hadjimitsis, D.G. and Agapiou, A. (2013). Integrated use of remote sensing, GIS and precipitation data for the assessment of soil erosion rate in the catchment area of “Yialias” in Cyprus. Atmospheric Research. 131: 108-124.
- Arnold, J.G. and Fohrer, N. (2005). SWAT (2000): current capabilities and research opportunities in applied watershed modelling. Hydrological Processes. 19: 563-572.
- Aydýn, A. and Tecimen, H.B. (2010). Temporal soil erosion risk evaluation: a CORINE methodology application at Elmalý dam watershed, Istanbul. Environment and Earth Science. 61: 1457–1465.
- Bai, Z.G., Dent, D. L., Olsson, L., and Schaepman, M. E. (2008). Proxy global assessment of land degradation. Soil Use and Management. 24: 223-234.
- Barakat, M., Mahfoud, I. and Kwyes, A. (2015). Study of Soil Erosion Risk in the Basin of Northern Al-Kabeer River in Lattakia using Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System (GIS) Techniques. Global Journal of Science Frontier Research: H, Environment and Earth Science. 15: 1-12.
- Basnet, B.B., Apan, A.A. and Raine, S.R. (2001). Selecting suitable sites for animal waste application using a raster GIS. Environmental Management. 28: 519-531.
- Bathurst, J.C., Wicks, J.M. and O’Connell, J.A. (1995). The SHE/ SHESED basin scale water flow and sediment transport modelling system. In: Computer Models of Watershed Hydrology, Water Resource Publication, [Singh, V.P., (Ed.)], Highlands Ranch, Colorodo, USA. (pp. 63-94).
- Beasley, D.B., Huggins, L.F. and Monke, E.J., 1989. ANSWERS: a model for watershed planning. Transactions of ASAE. 23: 938-944.
- Beven, K.J. and Kirkby, M.J. (1979). A physically based variable contributing-area model of catchment hydrology. Hydrological Sciences Bulletin. 24: 43–69.
- Blackley R., Steinfeld C., Grundy M., Biggs A., Silburn A. and Sbrocchi C.D. (2015). Geographical Systems Approach to the Assessment of Soil Erosion using RUSLE Model. Australian Regional Environmental Accounts Working Paper Series (5/5). Wentworth Group of Concerned Scientists, Sydney.
- Bocco, G. and Valenzuela, C.R. (1988). Integration of GIS and image processing in soil erosion studies using ILWIS. ITC Journal. 4: 309–319.
- Bridges, E.M. and Oldeman, L.R. (1999). Global Assessment of Human-Induced Soil Degradation. Arid Soil Research and Rehabilitation. 13: 319 325.
- Briggs, D.J. and Giordano, A. (1995). CORINE Soil Erosion report, European Commission, 124.
- Casasnovas, J.A.M. (2003). A spatial information technology approach for the mapping and quantification of gully erosion. Catena. 50: 293– 308.
- Chakraborty, R., Das, D., Barman, R.N. and Mandal, U.K. (2016). Analytic Hierarchy Process and Multi-criteria decision-making Approach for Selecting the Most Effective Soil Erosion Zone in Gomati River Basin. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 5: 595-600.
- Chowdary, V.M., Chakraborthy, D., Jeyaram, A., Krishna Murthy, Y.V.N., Sharma, J.R. and Dadhwal, V.K. (2013). Multi- Criteria Decision Making Approach for Watershed Prioritization Using Analytic Hierarchy Process Technique and GIS. Water Resource Management. 27: 3555–357.
- Cohen, M.J., Shepherd, K.D. and Walsh, M.G. (2005). Empirical reformulation of the universal soil loss equation for erosion risk assessment in a tropical watershed. Geoderma: 124. 235–252.
- CORINE, (1992). Soil Erosion Risk and Important Land Resources in the Southern Regions of the European Community. EUR 13233. Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg 97 pp.
- Curzio, S.L. and Magluilo, P. (2010). Soil erosion assessment using geomorphological remote sensing techniques: an example from southern Italy. Earth Surface Processes and Land forms. 35: 262-271.
- De Ploey, J. (1989). A Soil Erosion Map for Western Europe. Germany: Catena Verlag.
- De Roo, A.P.J. (1993). Modeling surface runoff and soil erosion in catchments using geographic information systems: validity and applicability of the “ANSWERS” model in two catchments in the loess area of South Limburg (The Netherlands) and one in Devon (UK). Netherlands Geo- -graphical Studies. 157: University of Utrecht, Utrecht. p. 304
- Dengiz, O. and Akgul, S. (2005). Soil erosion risk assessment of the Golbasi environmental protection area and its vicinity using the CORINE model. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and Forestry. 29: 439-448.
- Desmet, P.J.J. and Govers, G. (1995). GIS-based simulation of erosion and deposition patterns in an agricultural landscape: a comparison of model results with soil map information. Catena. 25: 389-401.
- Drake, N.A. and Vafeidis, A. (2004). A review of European Union funded research into the monitoring and mapping of Mediterranean desertification. Advances in environmental Monitoring and Modelling. 1: 1-51.
- Dwivedi, R.S., Kumar, A.B. and Tewari, K.N. (1997). The utility of multisensory data for mapping eroded lands. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 18: 2303–2318.
- Ekpenyong, R.E. (2013). An Assessment of Land Cover Change and Erosion risk in Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria using the Coordination of information on the Environment (CORINE) methodology. Greener Journal of Physical Sciences. 3: 76-89.
- Floras, S.A. and Sgouras, I.D. (1999). Use of geo-information techniques in identifying and mapping areas of erosion in a hilly landscape of central Greece. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. 1: 68–77.
- Frazier, B.E., Mc Cool, D.K. and Engle, C.F. (1983). Soil erosion in the Palouse: An aerial perspective. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 38: 70 74.
- Gobin, A., Govers, G., Jones, R., Kirkby, M. and Kosmas, C. (2003). Assessment and reporting on soil erosion. Technical Report No. 94, Copenhagen
- Gomer, D. and Vogt, T. (2000). Physically based modelling of surface runoff and soil erosion under semi-arid Mediterranean conditions- the example of Oued Mina, Algeria. In: Soil Erosion- Application of physically based models Springer- Verlag, [Schmidt J (Ed.)] Germany. pp: 59-78.
- Grimm, M., Jones, R.J.A., Rusco, E. and Montanarella, L. (2003). Soil erosion risk in Italy: a revised USLE approach. EUR 20677 EN, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxemburg, Luxemburg, p. 26.
- Gupta, P. and Uniyal, S. (2012). A Case Study of Ramgad Watershed, Nainital for Soil Erosion Risk Assessment Using CORINE Methodology. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 1: 1-6.
- Isaaks, E. and Srivastava, R.M. (1989). An Introduction to Applied Geostatistics. Oxford University Press, New York, 561 pp.
- Jabbar, M.A. (1979). Land Accretion in the Coastal Area of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Landsat Programme, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- James, A.L., Watson, D.G. and Williams, F.H. (2007). Using LiDAR data to map gullies and headwater streams under forest canopy: South Carolina, USA. Catena. 71: 32 14.
- Kachouri, S., Achour, H., Abida, H. and Bouaziz, S. (2015). Soil erosion hazard mapping using Analytic Hierarchy Process and logistic regression: a case study of Haffouz watershed, central Tunisia. Arabian Journal of Geosciences. 8: 4257- 4268.
- Kamphorst, A. and Iyer, H.S. (1972). Application of aerial photo- interpretation to ravine surveys in India. Proc. 12th Cong. Internat. Soc. Photogram. Eng. Ottawa, Canada.
- Karale, R.L., Saini, K.M. and Narula, K.K. (1988). Mapping and monitoring of ravines using remotely sensed data. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation in India. 32: 75–82.
- Knisel, W.G. (1995). CREAMS: A field-scale model for chemicals, runoff and erosion from agricultural management systems. US Dept of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service.
- Krishna, G., Kushwaha, S.P.S. and Velmurugan, A. (2009). Land degradation mapping in the upper catchment of river Tons. Journal of Indian Society of Remote Sensing. 37: 119– 128.
- Kumar, N. and Sinha, N.K. (2018). Geostatistics: Principles and Applications in Spatial Mapping of Soil Properties. In: Geospatial Technologies in Land Resources Mapping, Monitoring and Management, Geotechnologies and the Environment 21, [G.P. Obi Reddy, S.K. Singh (eds.)], Springer International Publishing. (pp. 143-159).
- Kumar, N. (2013). Geostatistics in digital terrain analysis. In: Remote sensing and GIS in digital terrain analysis and soil-landscape modeling [G.P. Obi Reddy and D. Sarkar (Eds.)], NBSS Publ. No. 152, National Bureau of Soil Survey and Land Use Planning, Nagpur. (pp. 147-155),
- Kumar, N., Obi Reddy, G.P. and Chatterji, S. (2014). GIS modeling to assess land productivity potential for agriculture in sub- humid (dry) ecosystem of Wardha district, Maharashtra. In: Applied Geoinformatics for Society and Environment. Stuttgart University of Applied Sciences Publications, [A. Vyas, F.J. Behr and D. Schröder (Eds.)], Hochschule für Technik Stuttgart 137. (pp. 271-276).
- Kumar, N., Obi Reddy, G.P., Chatterji, S., Srivastava, R. and Singh, S.K. (2018). Land suitability evaluation for soybean using temporal satelite data and GIS: A case study from Central India. In: Sustainable Management of Land Resources. ROUTLEDGE in association with GSE Research. [G.P. Obi Reddy, N.G. Patil and A. Chaturvedi (Eds.)], (pp. 387- 410).
- Kumar, N., Singh, S.K., Mishra, V. N., Obi Reddy, G.P. and Bajpai, R.K. (2018). Open-Source Satellite Data and GIS for Land Resource Mapping. In: Geospatial Technologies in Land Resources Mapping, Monitoring and Management, Geo- -technologies and the Environment 21. [G.P. Obi Reddy, S.K. Singh (eds.)], Springer International Publishing. (pp. 185-200).
- Kumar, N., Singh, S.K., Mishra, V. N., Obi Reddy, G.P. and Bajpai, R.K. (2017). Soil quality ranking of a small sample size using AHP. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, India. 16: 339-346.
- Kumar, N., Singh, S.K., Mishra, V. N., Obi Reddy, G.P., Bajpai, R.K. and Saxena, R.R. (2018). Soil suitability evaluation for cotton using analytical hierarchic process. International Journal of Chemical Studies. 6: 1570-1576.
- Kumar, U., Kumar, N., Mishra, V.N., and Jena, R.K. (2019). Soil quality assessment using analytical hierarchy process (AHP): A case study. In: Interdisciplinary approaches to information systems and software engineering, [A.K. Mukherjee and A.P. Krishna (Eds.)], IGI Global, USA. (pp. 1-18).
- Kumar, S. and Gupta, S. (2016). Geospatial approach in mapping soil erodibility using CartoDEM – A case study in hilly watershed of Lower Himalayan Range. Journal of Earth System Science. 125: 1463-1472.
- Kumar, S., Kumar, A., Saha, S.K. and Kumar, A. (2008). Stereo Cartosat-1 Satellite Remote Sensing Data in Assessing Topographic Potential of Soil Erosion. Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing. 36: 159-165.
- Lal, R. (2001). Soil degradation by erosion. Land Degradation and Development. 12: 519–539.
- Ma, J., Lin, G., Chen, J. and Yang, L. (2010). An improved topographic wetness index considering topographic position; In: Geo -informatics, 18th International Conference on IEEE, pp. 1–4.
- Maji, A.K., Obi Reddy, G.P. and Sarkar, D. (2010). Degraded and Wastelands of India, Status and Spatial Distribution. Indian Council of Agricultural Research and National Academy of Agricultural Science, New Delhi, 158 p.
- McCool, D.K., Foster, G.R., Renard, K.G., Yoder, D.C. and Weesies, G.A. (1995).The Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation. Department of Defense/Interagency Workshop on Technologies to Address Soil Erosion on Department of Defense Lands San Antonio, TX, June 11-15, 1995
- Mitasova, H., Hofierka, J., Zlocha, M. and Iverson, L.R. (1996). Modelling topographic potential for erosion and deposition using GIS. International Journal of Geographical Information Systems. 10: 629–641.
- Moore, I. and Wilson, P. (1992). Length slope factors for the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation: Simplified method of estimation. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 47: 423-428.
- Morgan, R.P.C. and Quinton, J.N. (2001). Erosion Modelling. In: Landscape erosion and evolution modelling [R.S. Harmon and W.W. Doe (Eds.)], Kluwer Academic, New York. (pp. 117-142).
- Mulligan, M. (2004). A review of European Union funded research into modelling Mediterranean desertification. Advances in Environmental Monitoring and Modelling. 1: 1-78.
- Nasiri, M. (2013). GIS modelling for locating the risk zone of soil erosion in a deciduous forest. Journal of Forest Science. 59: 87–91.
- NBSS and LUP (2004). Soil resource management reports. National Bureau of Soil Survey and Land Use Planning, Nagpur.
- Nearing, M.A., Foster, G. R., Lane, L.J. and Finkner, S.C. (1989). A process based soil erosion model for USDA-Water erosion prediction project technology. Transactions of ASSE. 32: 1587-1593.
- Nekhay, O., Arriaza, M. and Boerboom, L.G.J. (2009). Evaluation of soil erosion risk using analytic network process and GIS: a case study from Spanish mountain olive plantations. Journal of Environmental Management. 90: 3091-3104.
- NRSC, (2005). Wasteland Atlas of India. Ministry of Rural Development and NRSC Publ., NRSC, Hyderabad.
- Oldeman, L. and Lynden, G. (1996). Revisiting the GLASOD methodology. ISRIC. Working Paper and Preprint (96/03).
- Oldeman, R.L., Hakkeling, R.T.A. and Sombroek, W.G. (1991). World map of the status of humaninduced soil degradation. 2nd rev. ed. International Soil Reference and Information Centre, Wageningen, Netherlands
- Oldeman, R.L., Hakkeling, R.T.A. and Sombroek, W.G. (1990). World map of the status of human± induced soil degradation. International Soil Reference and Information Centre, Wageningen, Netherlands.
- Padmini, P. and Mohapatra, S.N. (2001). Delineation and monitoring of gullied and ravenous lands in a part of lower Chambal valley, India, using remote sensing and GIS. 22nd Asian conference on remote sensing, 5-9 November, (2001), Singapore.
- Qin, C., Zhu, A.X., Yang, L., Li, B. and Pei, T. (2006) Topographic Wetness Index Computed Using Multiple Flow Direction algorithm and Local Maximum Downslope Gradient; In: 7th International Workshop of Geographical Information System
- Rahman, M.R., Shi, Z.H. and Chongfa, C. (2009). Soil erosion hazard evaluation—An integrated use of remote sensing, GIS and statistical approaches with biophysical parameters towards management strategies. Ecological Modelling. 220: 1724–1734.
- Rajankar, P., Ramteke, I., Ravishanar, T. and Bothale, V. (2012). Geo-spatial technologies for identification, mapping and assessment of land degradation in Dhule district of Maharashtra. Agropedology. 22: 1-7.
- Reis, M., Akay, A.E. and Savaci, G. (2016). Erosion risk mapping using CORINE methodology for Goz watershed in Kahramanmaras Region, Turkey. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. 18: 695-706.
- Renard, K.G., Foster, G.R., Weesies, G.A., McCool, D.K. and Yoder, D.C. (1997). Predicting Soil Loss by Water: A Guide to Conservation Planning with the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE) Handbook. (2014) US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC, USA, p. 703 384.
- Saaty, T.L. (1980). The Analytic Hierarchy Process: Planning, Priority Setting and Resource Allocation. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Sahu, N., Reddy, G.P.O., Kumar, N., Nagaraju, M.S.S. (2015). High resolution remote sensing, GPS and GIS in soil resource mapping and characterization. Agricultural Reviews. 36 (1): 14-25.
- Sepehr, A. and Honarmandnejad, S. (2012). Actual Soil Erosion Risk Mapping Using Modified CORINE Method (Case Study: Jahrom Basin). Geography and Environmental Hazards. 3: 7-8.
- Servenay, A. and Prat, C. (2003). Erosion extension of indurated volcanic soils of Mexico by aerial photographs and remote sensing analysis. Geoderma. 117: 367– 375.
- Sharda, V.N., Dogra, P., Prakash, C., (2010). Assessment of production lossess due to water erosion in rainfed areas of India. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 65: 79-91.
- Singh, A.N. and Dwivedi, R.S. (1983). Land degradation studies in a part of west coast region using Landsat data. Technical Report 16, NRSA.
- Singh, A.N., Sharma, Y.K. andSingh, S. (1998). Evaluation of IRS 1C PAN Data for Monitoring Gullied and Ravinous Lands of Western U.P. Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System for Natural Resources Management, Indian Society of Remote Sensing and NNRMS, Bangalore.
- Sonneveld, B.G.J.S. and Dent, D.L. (2009). How good is GLASOD? Journal of Environmental Management. 90: 274-283.
- Sujatha, G., Dwivedi, R.S., Sreenivas, K. and Venkataratnam, L. (2000). Mapping and monitoring of degraded lands in part of Jaunpur district of Uttar Pradesh using temporal spaceborne multispectral data. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 21: 519– 531.
- Tahir, M.E.H.E., Kaab, A. and Xu, C.Y. (2010). Identification and mapping of soil erosion areas in the Blue Nile, Eastern Sudan using multispectral ASTER and MODIS satellite data and the SRTM elevation model. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences. 14: 1167–1178.
- Tayebi, M., Tayebi, M.H. and Sameni, A. (2017). Soil erosion risk assessment using GIS and CORINE model: a case study from western Shiraz, Iran. Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science. 63: 1163-1175.
- Thomas, D.S. (1993). Sandstorm in a teacup? Understanding desertification. Geographical Journal. 159: 318-331.
- Vrieling, A., Rodrigues, S.C. and Bartholomeus, H. (2007). Automatic identification of erosion gullies with ASTER imagery in the Brazilian Cerrados. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 28: 2723 2738.
- Wang, B., Zheng, F.L., Darboux, F. and Römkens, M.J.M. (2013). Soil erodibility in erosion by water: a perspective and the Chinese experience. Geomorphology. 187: 1–10.
- Wawer, R. and Nowocien, E. (2007). Digital Map of Water Erosion Risk in Poland: A Qualitative, Vector-Based Approach. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies. 16: 763-772.
- Wischmeier, W.H. and Smith, D.D. (1978). Predicting rainfall erosion losses. Agricultural Handbook 537. U.S.D.A.-Sci. and Educ. Admin, Washington, DC.
- Yuksel, A., Gundogan, R., and Akay, A.E. (2008). Using the Remote Sensing and GIS Technology for Erosion Risk Mapping of Kartalkaya Dam Watershed in Kahramanmaras, Turkey. Sensors. 8: 4851-4865.
- Zhu, M. (2012). Soil erosion risk assessment with CORINE model: case study in the Danjiangkou Reservoir region, China. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment. 26: 813–822.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.