Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Nitrogen management in Soybean: A Review
First Online 26-07-2019|
- Aboutalebian M. A. and Malmir M. (2017) Soybean yield and yield components affected by mycorrhiza and Bradyrhizobium at different rates of starter nitrogen fertilizer. Semina: Ciências Agrárias, Londrina 38: 2409-18.
- Afja R., Hardarson G., Zapota F. and Danso S. K. A. (1987) Effect of delayed soil and foliar nitrogen fertilization on yield and N-fixation of soybean. Plant Soil 97: 361-68.
- Anbumani S., Chandrasekharan B., Rajendran P. and Velayudham K. (2003) Studies on nitrogen management in green gram. Legume Res 26: 51-53.
- Anil D., Sagar V., Sreenivas G. and Sharma S. H. K. (2017) Effect of sulphur and nitrogen application on growth characteristics and yield of soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merrill]. Int J Pure App Biosci 5: 1548-54.
- Barker D. W. and Sawyer J. E. (2005) Nitrogen application to soybean at early reproductive development. Agron J 97: 615-19.
- Begum M. A., Islam M. A., Ahmed Q. M., Islam M. A., Rahman M. M. (2015) Effect of nitrogen and phosphorus on the growth and yield performance of soybean. Res Agric Livest Fish 2: 35-42.
- Caliskan S., Ozkaya I., Caliskan M. E. and Arslan M. (2008) The effects of nitrogen and iron fertilization on growth, yield and fertilizer use efficiency of soybean in a Mediterranean-type soil. Field Crops Res 108: 126-32.
- Dhurandher R., Pandey N. and Tripathi R. S. (1995) Effect of irrigation and nitrogen on dry matter, yield and water requirement of summer soybean (Glycine max). J Oil Seeds Res 12: 304-06.
- Gai Z., Zhang J. and Li C. (2017) Effects of starter nitrogen fertilizer on soybean root activity, leaf photosynthesis and grain yield. Plos One 12: 1-15.
- Gan Y., Stulen I., Keulen H., Van H. and Kuiper P. J. C. (2003) Effect of N fertilizer top-dressing at various reproductive stages on growth, N2 fixation and yield of three soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merr.] genotypes. Field Crops Res 80: 142-55.
- Gan Y., Stulen I., Posthumus F., Keulen H. V. and Pieter J. C. (2002) Effects of N management on growth, N2 fixation and yield of soybean. Nutr Cycl in Agroecosys 62: 163-174.
- Giller K. E. and Cadisch G. (1995) Future benefits from biological nitrogen fixation: an ecological approach to agriculture. In: Management of Biological Nitrogen Fixation for the Development of More Productive and Sustainable Agricultural Systems. Springer, Netherlands, pp. 255-77.
- Gutierrez-Boem F. H., Schiener J. D., Korsakov H. R. and Lavado R. S. (2004) Late season nitrogen fertilization of soybeans: effects on leaf senescence, yield and environment. Nutr Cycl Agroecosys 68: 109-15.
- Hati K. M., Chaudhary R. S., Mandal K. G., Bandyopadhyay K. K., Singh R. K., Sinha N. K., Mohanty M., Somasundaram J. and Saha R. (2015) Effects of tillage, residue and fertilizer nitrogen on crop yields, and soil physical properties under soybean–wheat rotation in vertisols of Central India. Agric Res 4: 48-56.
- INDIASTAT (2018) http//=www.indiastat.com
- Jadhav A.S., Andhale R. P. and Patil P. A. (2009) Effect of integrated nutrient management on yield attributes and yield of soybean. J Maharashtra Agric Univ 34: 86-88.
- Jahangir A. A., Mondal R. K., Nada K., Sarker M. A. M., Moniruzzaman M and Hossain M K (2009) Response of different level of nitrogen and phosphorus on seed yield, oil quality and nutrient uptake of soybean. Bangladesh J Sci Ind Res 44: 187-92.
- Jayapaul P. and Ganesaraja V. (1990) Studies on response of soybean varieties to nitrogen and phosphorus. Indian J Agron 35: 329-30.
- Jyothi C. N., Ravichandra K. and Sudhakara Babu K. (2013) Effect of foliar supplementation of nitrogen and zinc on soybean [Glycine max (L.)] yield, quality and nutrient uptake. Indian J Dryland Agric Res and Dev 28: 46-48.
- Kang A. S., Lee H. J. and Hur I. B. (1985) Effect of basal and top dressing nitrogen on nodule formation plant growth and seed yield in soybean. Field Crop Abstr 39: 5921.
- Kaschuk G., Nogueira M. A., Luca M. J. and Hungria M. (2016) Response of determinate and indeterminate soybean cultivars to basal and top dressing N fertilization as compared to sole inoculation with Bradyrhizobium. Field Crops Res 195: 21-27.
- Kaul D. and Vyas M. D. (2004) Effect of different levels of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium on growth, yield and quality of soybean. Thesis submitted to Jawaharlal Nehru KrishiVishwaVidyalaya, Jabalpur.
- Koushal S. and Singh P. (2011) Effect of integrated use of fertilizer, FYM and biofertilizer on growth and yield performance on soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merill). Res J Agric Sci 43: 193-97.
- Krishnamohan K. and Rao L. M. (1998) Effect of Bradyrhizobium sp. strains and N on growth N2 fixation and yield of soybean genotypes during monsoon seasons. J Res Acharya N G Ranga Agricultural University 26: 28-32.
- Kumawat S. M., Dhakar L. L. and Maliwal P. L. (2000) Effect of irrigation regimes and nitrogen on yield, oil content and nutrient uptake of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merrill). Indian J Agron 45: 361-66.
- Laharia G. S., Rane P. V., Sanjay B. and Hiwarale J. S. (2004) Effects of different levels of N on soybean grown on Typic Haplustert. Ann Plant Physiol 18: 31-36.
- Liebig M.A., Varvel G.E., Doran J.W. and Weinhold B.J. (2002) Crop sequence and nitrogen fertilization effects on soil properties in the western corn belt. Soil Sci Soc Am J 66: 596-601.
- Malhi S.S. , Nyborg M., Solberg E.D., Dyck M.F. and Purveen D. (2011) Improving crop yield and N uptake with long-term straw retention in two contrasting soil types. Field Crops Res 124: 378-91.
- Maryam V., Sekineh V. and Mehran A. (2013) Starter nitrogen fertilizer impact on soybean yield and quality. J Eng Adv Tech 3: 333-37.
- Mehmet O. Z. (2008) Nitrogen rate and plant population effects on yield and yield components in soybean. African J Biotechnol 7: 4464-70.
- Mere V., Singh A.K., Singh M., Jamir Z. and Gupta R.C. (2013) Effect of nutritional schedule on productivity and quality of soybean varieties and soil fertility. Legume Res 36: 528-34.
- Misra R.C., Sahu P.K. and Uttaray S.K.(1990) Response of soybean to nitrogen and phosphorus application. J Oilseed Res 7: 6-9.
- Morshed R .M., Rahman M. M. and Rahman, M. A. (2008) Effect of nitrogen on seed yield, protein content and nutrient uptake of soybean (Glycine max L.). J Agric Rural Dev 6: 13-17.
- Mrkovacki N., Marinkovic J. and Acimovic R. (2008) Effect of N fertilizer application on growth and yield of inoculated soybean. Not Bot Hort Agrobot Cluj 36: 48-51.
- Naik K. R. and Rao S. K. (2004) Effect of nitrogen application at reproductive phase on seed production of soybean. Seed Res 32: 94-95.
- Nandurkar G.P., Malvi G. C. and Nandurkar P. N. (2000) Effect of nitrogen levels on growth and yield of soybean. J Soils and Crops 10: 269-71.
- Niranjan P., Vyas M.D. and Maravi P.S. (2015) Effect of methods of nitrogen application on growth and productivity of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merill).Soybean Res 13:91-99.
- Ntambo M.S., Chilinda I.S., Taruvinga A., Hafeez S., Anwar T., Sharif R., Chambi C. and Kies L. (2017) The effect of rhizobium inoculation with nitrogen fertilizer on growth and yield of soybeans (Glycine max L). Int J Biosci 10: 163-72.
- Padmavathi P., Wani S.P. and Virmani S.M. (2003) Seed yield of soybean and pigeonpea based intercropping system in vertisol with integrated nutrient management options. J Oilseeds Res 20: 239-43.
- Pandey P., Dhurandher and Tripathi R.S. (1995) Effect of irrigation and nitrogen on nodulation, N accumulation and seed yield of soybean (Glycine max). Indian J Agron 40: 306-08.
- Pareek and Shahtawat (1998) Soybean yield as affected by nitrogen levels, rhizobial inoculation and different tillage systems. Ann Agric Sci 34: 107-24.
- Pradhan L., Rout D. and Mohapatra B.K. (1995) Response of soybean (Glycine max) to nitrogen and phosphorus. Indian J Agron 40: 305-06.
- Praharaj C. and Dhingra K.K. (2001) Growth, productivity and biological nitrogen fixation in soybean (Glycine max) under Bradyrhizobium inoculation, pendimethalin and nitrogen schedules, and their residual effect on succeeding wheat (Triticum aestivum) crop. Indian J Agron 46: 635-42.
- Praharaj C.S. (1994) Growth and productivity of soybean (Glycine max L. Merrill) as affected by interacting influence of Rhizobium, nitrogen and potassium and herbicide use; and their residual effect on wheat. Ph.D. Dissertation, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana.
- Raghuveer and Hosmath J.A. (2017) Yield and economics of soybean as influenced by various levels of nitrogen and phosphorus. J Pharmacognosy Phytochem 6: 1485-87.
- Ralli S and Dhingra K K (2003) Effect of nitrogen application at different growth stages of soybean. Ann Agric Biol Res. 8: 193-95.
- Rani B.P. (1999) Response of soybean to nitrogen and phosphorus application in the black soils of Krishna Godawri zone of Andhra Pradesh. Ann Agric Res 20: 367-68.
- Rathod K.S., Pannu R. K. and Dahiya S. S. (2012). Effect of nitrogen management on soil fertility and NPK uptake in soybean. J Food Legumes 25: 153-55.
- Rathod T.H., Shinde, Sachin, Jadhav S.D. and Nagone A.H. (2006) Effect of nitrogen on growth, nodulation and seed protein content in soybean. Asian J Bio Sci 1: 92-94.
- Ravankar H.N., Borale V.M., Hadole S.S., Raut P.D. and Nikersar R.J. (2003) Effect of nitrogen levels on dry matter, yield and protein content and nitrogen use efficiency of legumes. New Agriculturist 14: 65-69.
- Reddy T.R., Rao M. and Rao K.R. (1990) Response of soybean [Glycine max (L.)] to nitrogen and phosphorus. Indian J Agron. 35: 308-10.
- Sabale R.N. (2005) Effect of source of nitrogen on yield of soybean. J Maharashtra Agric Uni 30: 262-63.
- Saxena S.C. and Chandal A.S. (1992). Effect of nitrogen fertilization on different varieties of soybean. Indian J Agric Sci 62: 695-97.
- Shafii F., Ali E., Sajed K. and Amir E. (2011) Soybean response to nitrogen fertilizer under water deficit conditions. African J Biotechnol. 10: 3112-20.
- Shinde S.M., Rathod T.H., Thakur S.V. and Neelam D. (2007) Effect of nitrogen nutrition on yield and its attributes in soybean. Ann Plant Physiol. 21: 38-41.
- Sikka R., Singh D. and Deol J. S. (2013) Productivity and nutrient uptake by soybean as influenced by integrated nutrient and some other agronomic management practices. Legume Res 36: 545-51.
- Sinclair T R and De Wit C T (1976) Analysis of the carbon and nitrogen limitations to soybean yield. Agron J 68: 319-24.
- Singh G., Singh H. and Kolar J .S. (2001) Response of soybean (Glycine max L. Merrill) to nitrogen, phosphorus and zinc fertilization. J Res Punjab Agri Univ 38: 14-16.
- Singh H. and Singh G. (2013) Effect of potassium and split application of nitrogen on yield attributes and yield of soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merrill]. Agric Sci Digest 33: 264-68.
- Singh H., Singh G. and Deol J.S. (2010) Nodulation and uptake of nitrogen and potassium by seed and straw of soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merrill] as affected by potassium and split application of nitrogen. Legume Res 33: 249-55.
- Singh R. D. and Gopalswamy N. (1991) Effect of plant geometry and levels of nitrogen and phosphorus on the growth and productivity of soybean (Glycine max L. Merill). Indian J Agric Sci 42: 1028-31.
- Singh S.P. and Bansal K.N. (2000) Response of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merrill) to nitrogen, its application time and sulphur. Indian J Agric Sci 70: 34-36.
- Singh S.P., Bansal K.N. and Nepalia V. (2001a) Effect of nitrogen, its application time and sulphur on yield and quality of soybean (Glycine max). Indian J Agron 46: 141-44.
- Singh S., Kang J. S. and Singh A. (2012) Influence of planting methods and nitrogen on yield and growth parameters of soybean. J Res Punjab Agric Univ 49: 227-30.
- Sohrabi Y., Habibi A., Mohammadi K. and Sohrabi M. (2012) Effect of nitrogen (N) fertilizer and foliar-applied iron (Fe) fertilizer at various reproductive stages on yield, yield component and chemical composition of soybean (Glycine max L. Merr.) seed. African J Biotechnol 11: 9599-605.
- Vaiyapuri, K., Amanullah M. M. and Rajendran K. (2012) Growth and yield of soybean as influenced by nitrogen and growth regulators. Madras Agric J 99: 79-80.
- Valinejad M., Vaseghi S. and Afzali M. (2013) Starter nitrogen fertilizer impact on soybean yield and quality. Int J Eng Advanced Tech 3: 333-37.
- Vara J.A., Modhwadia M.M., Patel B.S., Patel J.C. and Khanpara V.D. (1994) Response of soybean to nitrogen, phosphorus and Rhizobium inoculation. Indian J Agron: 39: 678-80.
- Virk H., Singh G. and Manes G.S. (2018) Growth, symbiosis, productivity, and profitability of soybean at varying planting methods and nitrogen levels. J Plant Nutr 41: 1184-96.
- Werner D. and Newton W.E. (2005) Nitrogen fixation in agriculture, forestry, ecology and environment. Springer, Netherlands.
- Yadav R. and Chandel A.S. (2010) Effect of nitrogen nutrition at different physiological stages and varying levels of phosphorus at sowing on soybean (Glycine max). Ind J Agric Sci 73: 615-17.
- Yadravi M. and Angadi V.V. (2016) Effect of time and method of application of varied levels of nitrogen in soybean (Glycine max). J Farm Sci 29: 332-36.
- Yinbo G., Stulen I., Posthumus F., Keulen H., Van and Kuiper P.J.C (2002) Effect of nitrogen application at different growth stages of soybean. Nutr Cycl Agroecosys 62: 163-74.
- Yoseph T. and Worku W. (2014) Effect of NP fertilizer rate and Bradyrhizobium inoculation on nodulaton, N-uptake and crude protein content of soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merrill] at Jinka, Southern Ethiopia. J Biol Agric Healthcare 4: 49-54.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.