Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Stress tolerance indices based on yield, phenology and biomass partitioning: A review
First Online 26-12-2018|
- Amiri, R., Bahraminejad S., and J.Honarmand S. (2013). Effect of terminal drought stress on grain yield and some morphological traits in 80 bread wheat genotypes. International Journal of Agriculture and Crop Sciences. 5 (10): 1145-1153
- Bansal, K.C. and Sinha S. K. (1991). Assessment of drought resistance in 20 accessions of Triticum aestivum and related species. Part 1: total dry matter and grain yield stability. Euphytica, 56: 7-14
- Beebe S, Rao I. M., Blair M. W. and Butare M. (2009). Breeding for abiotic stress tolerance in common bean: Present and future challenges. Proceedings of the 14th Australian Plant Breeding and 11th SABRAO Conference, August 10–14, 2009, Brisbane, Australia.
- Bidinger, F. R., Maha1akshmi, Y., Talukdar, B. S., and Alagarswamy, G. (1982). Improvement of drought resistance in pearl millet. In ‘Drought Resistance in Crops With Emphasis on Rice’. pp. (IRRI: Los Banos, Philippines.) 357-76.
- Bouslama, M., Schapaugh, W.T. (1984). Stress tolerance in soybean. Part 1: Evaluation of three screening techniques for heat and drought tolerance. Crop Sci., 24: 933–937.
- Bidinger FR, Mahalakshmi V. and Rao GDP (1987). Assesment of drought resistance in pearl millet [Pennisetum americanum (L.) Leeke]. I. Factors affecting yield under stress. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 38: 37-48
- Blum, A. (1996). Crop responses to drought and the interpretation of adaptation. Plant Growth Regulation 20: 135-148
- Blum, A. (2005). Drought resistance, water-use efficiency, and yield potential—are they compatible, dissonant, or mutually exclusive. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research, 56: 1159–1168
- Choukan R., Taherkhani T., Ghannadha M. R., Khodarahmi M. (2006). Evaluation of drought tolerance in grain maize inbred lines using drought tolerance indices. Iranian Journal of Agricultural Science, 8: 79-89.
- De Dorlodot, S., Forster B., Pagès L., Price A., Tuberosa R. and Draye X. (2007). Root system architecture: opportunities and constraints for genetic improvement of crops. Trends in Plant Science 12:474–481
- Dhillon, N. K., Gossal S. S., and Kang M. S. (2012). Improving Crop Productivity under Changing Environment. In: Improving Crop Productivity in Sustainable Agriculture-1. [Ed. Tuteja, N., Gill, S S and Tuteja, R.] Wiley Online. Pp. 23-48
- FAO. (2009). High-Level Expert Forum: How to feed the world in 2050. FAO, Rome, Italy, 35 pp.
- Farshadfar, E. and Shukla J. (2003). Screening drought tolerance criteria in maize. Acta Agronomica Hungarica., 50: 411-416.
- Farshadfar E. and Javadinia J. (2011). Evaluation of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) genotypes for drought tolerance. Seed And Plant Improvement Journal. 27: 517-537.
- Farshadfar E. and P. Elyasi. (2012). Screening quantitative indicators of drought tolerance in bread wheat (T. aestivum) landraces. Pelagia Research Library. Eur J Exp Biol. 2(3): 577-584
- Fernandez, G. C. (1992). Effective selection criteria for assessing plant stress tolerance, p. 257-27 In: Proceeding of a symposium on adaptation of vegetables and other food crops in temperature and water stress, Taiwan.
- Fischer, R.A. and Maurer R. (1978). Drought resistance in spring wheat cultivars. I. Grain yield responses. Crop and Pasture Sci., 29: 897–912.
- Fischer, R. A., and Wood, J. T. (1979). Drought resistance in spring wheat cultivars. III. Yield associations with morpho-physiological traits. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research, 30(6), 1001-1020.
- Farshadfar, E., Zahravi M. G. and Sutka J. (2001). Genetic analysis of drought tolerance in wheat. Plant Breeding, 114: 542-544.
- Gavuzzi, P., Rizza, F., Palumbo, M., Campanile, R. G., Ricciardi, G. L., and Borghi, B. (1997). Evaluation of field and laboratory predictors of drought and heat tolerance in winter cereals. Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 77(4), 523-531.
- Jafari, A., Paknejada, F. and Ahmadi, J. A. (2009), Evaluation of selection indices for drought tolerance of corn (Zea mays L.) hybrids. Int. J. Plant Prod., 3(4): 33-38.
- Kage, H., Kochler, M. and Stützel, H. (2004). Root growth and dry matter partitioning of cauliflower under drought stress conditions: measurement and simulation. European J Agronomy. 20: 379-394
- Karamanos, A.J., and Papatheohari, A.Y., (1999). Assessment of drought resistance of crop genotypes by means of the water potential index. Crop Sci. 39: 1792–1797.
- Kashiwagi, J., Krishnamurthy, L., Gaur, P. M., Upadhyaya, H. D., Varshney, R. K., and Tobita, S. (2013). Traits of relevance to improve yield under terminal drought stress in chickpea (C. arietinum L.). Field Crops Research, 145, 88-95.
- Khodarahmpour, Z., Choukan, R., Bihamta, M. R., and Majidi Hervan, E. (2010). Determination of the best heat stress tolerance indices in maize (Zea mays L.) inbred lines and hybrids under Khuzestan province conditions. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology, 13, 111-121.
- Lan, J. (1998). Comparison of evaluating methods for agronomic drought resistance in crops. Acta Agr Bor-Occid Sinic. 7: 85- 87.
- Liang, D and Fischer, R. A. (1977). Adaptation of semidwarf wheat varieties to rainfed conditions. Euphytica. 26: 129-39.
- Lin, C.S. and Binn, M. R.. (1988). A superiority measure of cultivar performance for cultivar × location data. Can. J. Plant Sci. 68: 193-198.
- Mohammadi, R, Armionb M., Kahrizic D., Amri, A. (2010). Efficiency of screening techniques for evaluating durum wheat genotypes under mild drought conditions. International Journal of Plant Production 4 (1): 233-41.
- Moosavi, S., Yazdi Samdi B., Naghavi M., Zali A., Dashti H. and Pourshabazi A. (2008). Introduction of new indices to identify relative drought tolerant and resistant genotypes of wheat. Desert, 12: 165-178.
- Moradi, H., Akbari, G. A., Khorasani, S. K., and Ramshini, H. A. (2012). Evaluation of drought tolerance in corn (Zea mays L.) new hybrids with using stress tolerance indices. European Journal of Sustainable Development, 1(3), 543-560.
- Munjal, R. and Dhanda, S. (2016). Assessment of drought resistance in Indian wheat cultivars for morpho-physiological traits. Ekin Journal of Crop Breeding and Genetics. 2(1): 74-81.
- Panthuwan, G., Fokai, S., Cooper, M., Rajatasereekul, S., and O’Toole, J. C. (2002). Yield response of rice genotypes to different types of drought under rainfed lowlands. Part 1: grain yield and yield components. Field Crop Res, 41, 45-54.
- Polania, J. A., Poschenrieder, C., Beebe, S., and Rao, I. M. (2016). Effective use of water and increased dry matter partitioned to grain contribute to yield of common bean improved for drought resistance. Frontiers in Plant Science, 7: 660.
- Poorter, H, Fabio F., Peiruschka R. , Tobias W., Puten W., Kleyer M., Schuur U., and Postma J. (2016). Pampered inside, pestered outside? Differences and similarities between plants growing in controlled conditions and in the ûeld. New Phytologist 212: 838–855.
- Raman A, Verulkar S., Mandal N., Variar M., Shukla V., Dwivedi J., Singh B., Singh O., Swain P., et al (2012). Drought yield index to select high yielding rice lines under different drought stress severities. Rice. 5:31.
- Ramýrez, P. and Kelly, J. D. (1998). Traits related to drought resistance in common bean. Euphytica, 99: 127–136.
- Rosales-Serna, R., Kohashi-Shibata, J., Acosta-Gallegos, J. A., Trejo-López, C., Ortiz-Cereceres, J., and Kelly, J. D. (2004). Biomass distribution, maturity acceleration and yield in drought-stressed common bean cultivars. Field Crops Research, 85(2-3), 203-211.
- Rosielle, A. A. and Hamblin, J. (1981). Theoretical aspects of selection for yield in stress and non-stress environments. Crop Sci., 21: 943–946.
- Sabaghnia, N., and Janmohammadi, M. (2014). Interrelationships among some morphological traits of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) cultivars using biplot. Botanica LITHUANIC. 20: 19-26.
- Safavi, S. M., Pourdad, S. S., and Afshin Safavi, S. (2013). Evaluation of drought tolerance in safflower (Carthamus Tinctorius L.) under non stress and drought stress conditions. International Journal of Advanced Biological and Biomedical Research, 1(9), 1086-1093.
- Schneider, K. A., Rosales-Serna, R., Ibarra-Perez, F., Cazares-Enriquez, B., Acosta-Gallegos, J. A., et al. (1997). Improving common bean performance under drought stress. Crop Science, 37(1), 43-50.
- Shirani Rad, A H., and Abbasian, A. (2011). Evaluation of drought tolerance in rapeseed genotypes under non Stress and drought stress conditions. Not Bot Horti Agrob., 39(2): 164-171
- Slim S. N. and Saxena, M. C. (1993). Adaptation of spring-sown chickpea to the Mediterranean basin: factors influencing yield under drought. Field Crops Research 34: 137-146.
- Sofi, P. A. and Iram Saba. (2016). Natural variation in common bean for root traits and biomass partitioning under drought. Indian J Agri. Sci. 50: 604-608
- Sofi, P. A., Rehman, K., Asmat Ara, Mir, S. A. and Dar, S. A.. (2017a). Improving screening methods to water stress in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L) using new score indices based on productivity and resilience. Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 6(7): 967-981.
- Sofi, P.A., Rehman, K., Musharib Gull and Asmat Ara. (2017b). Phenology Based Biomass Accumulation and Partitioning Indices in Relation to Water Stress in Common Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.), Int. J. Pure App. Biosci. 5(6): 1441-1449.
- Thiry, A. A., Chavez Dulanto, P. N., Reynolds, M. P., and Davies, W. J. (2016). How can we improve crop genotypes to increase stress resilience and productivity in a future climate? A new crop screening method based on productivity and resistance to abiotic stress. Journal of Experimental Botany, 67(19), 5593-5603.
- Turner, N. C., Hearn, A. B., Begg, J. E., and Constable, G. A. (1986). Cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.): Physiological and morphological responses to water deficits and their relationship to yield. Field Crops Research, 14: 153-170.
- Xangsayasane, P., Jongdee, B., Pantuwan, G., Fukai, S., Mitchell, J. H., Inthapanya, P., and Jothiyangkoon, D. (2014). Genotypic performance under intermittent and terminal drought screening in rainfed lowland rice. Field Crops Research, 156: 281-292.
- White J. W. and Singh, S. P. (1991). Sources and inheritance of earliness in tropically adapted indeterminate common bean. Euphytica 55: 15–19.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.