Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Biofortification: Golden way to save life from micronutrient deficiency
First Online 03-10-2018|
- Aluru, M., Xu, Y., Guo, R., Wang, Z., Li, S., White, W., Wang, K. and Rodermel, S. (2008). Generation of transgenic maize with enhanced provitamin A content. Journal of Experimental Botany, 59:3551-3562.
- Barua, D. and Saikia, M. (2018). Agronomic biofortification in rice varieties through zinc fertilization under aerobic condition. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research, 52 (1): 89-92
- Bhatnagar, M., Bhatnagar-Mathur, P., Reddy, S.D., Anjaiah, V. and Sharma, K.K. (2011).Crop biofortification through genetic engineering: present status and future directions. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256972036 on dated 17 March, 2018.
- Boonchuay, P., Cakmak, I., Rerkasem, B. and Prom-U-Thai, C. (2013). Effect of different foliar zinc application at different growth stages on seed zinc concentration and its impact on seedling vigor in rice. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 59 180–188
- Cakmak, I. (2008). Enrichment of cereal grains with zinc: Agronomic or genetic biofortification. Plant Soil, 302: 1-17.
- Cakmak, I., Kalayci, M., Kaya, Y., Torun, A., Aydin, N., Wang, Y., Arisoy, Z., Erdem, H., Yazici, A., Gokmen, O., Ozturk, L., Horst, W.J., (2010). Biofortification and localization of zinc in wheat grain. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 58: 9092- 9102.
- Datta, S.P., Rattan, R.K. Chandra, S. and Singh, A.K. (2012). Enriching edible portion of crops with zinc and iron. Paper presented in 77th Annual Convention of the Indian Society of Soil Science. Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana.
- Diretto, G., Tavazza, R., Welsch, R., Pizzichini, D., Mourgues, F., Papacchioli, V., Beyer, P. and Giuliano, G. (2006). Metabolic engineering of potato tuber carotenoids through tuberspecific silencing of lycopene epsilon cyclase. BMC Plant Biol., 6:13.
- Lucca, P., Hurrel, R. and Potrykus, I. (2001). Genetic engineering approaches to improve the bioavailability and the level of iron in rice grains. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 102:392-397.
- Meena, H.M., Sharma, R.P., Meena, D.S., Sepehya, S. and Yadav, D.K. (2017). Biofortification: A novel approach for enrichment of cereal grains with Zn and Fe. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 6(4): 955-962.
- Nakandalage, N., Nicolas, M., Norton, R.M., Hirotsu, N., Milham, P.J. and Seneweera, S. (2016) Improving rice zinc biofortification success rates through genetic and crop management approaches in a changing environment. Frontiers in Plant Science, 7:764.
- Naveen, R. Sumathi, P. and Manivannan. (2016). Trait association among beta carotene content and yield attributes in recombinant inbred lines of pearl millet [Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R. Br.]. Agricultural Science Digest, 36 (3): 202-206.
- Pitambara and Nagarajan, P.(2016). Identification of high b-Carotene lines of maize in backcross (BC2 F1) population by genotyping crtRB1 Allele specific marker. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research, 50 (5): 434-439.
- Rai, K.N., Govindaraj, M. and Rao, A.S. (2012).Genetic enhancement of grain iron and zinc content in pearl millet. Qual. Assur. Saf. Crops Foods 4:119–125.
- Rosati, C., Aquilani, R., Dharmapuri, S., Pallara, P., Marusic, C., Tavazza, R., Bouvier, F., Camara, B. and Giuliano, G. (2000). Metabolic engineering of beta-carotene and lycopene content in tomato fruit. The Plant Journal, 24:413-419.
- Shahzad, Z., Rouached, H. and Rakha, A. (2014). Combating mineral malnutrition through iron and zinc biofortification of cereals. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 13:329–346.
- Sharma, D., Jamra, G., Singh, U.M., Sood, S. and Kumar, A. (2017). Calcium biofortification: three pronged molecular approaches for dissecting complex trait of calcium nutrition in finger millet (Eleusine coracana) for devising strategies of enrichment of food crops. Frontiers in Plant Science, 7:2028.
- Shewmaker, C.K., Sheehy, J.A., Daley, M., Colburn, S. and Ke, D. (1999). Seed specific overexpression of phytoene synthase: increase in carotenoids and other metabolic effects. The Plant Journal, 20:410–412.
- Shivay, Y.S., Kumar, D. and Prasad, R. (2008). Relative efficiency of zinc sulfate and zinc oxide-coated urea in rice-wheat cropping system. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 39: 1154-1167.
- Singh, M.V. and Behera, S.K. (2011). AIRCP on micro and secondary nutrients and pollutant elements in soil and plants- A Profile. Res. Bull., 10: 1-57.
- Singh, V., Yadav, R.K., Yadav, N.R., Yadav, R., Malik, R.S. and Singh, J. (2017). Identification of genomic Regions/genes for high iron and zinc content and cross transferability of SSR markers in mungbean (Vigna radiata L.). Legume Research, 40 (6): 1004-1011.
- Takahashi M. (2003). Overcoming Fe deficiency by transgene approach in rice. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Culture, 72:211–220.
- Uma Shankar Ram, Srivastava, V.K., Hemantaranjan, A., Sen, A., Singh, R.K., Bohra, J.S. and Shukla, U. (2013). Effect of Zn, Fe and FYM application on growth, yield and nutrient content of rice. Oryza, 50 (4):351-357.
- W.H.O. 2017. UNICEF-WHO-The World Bank: Joint child malnutrition estimates - Levels and trends. Retrieved from http:// www.who.int/nutgrowthdb/estimates/en/ dated on 7th May, 2018.
- Yadava, D.K., Choudhury, P.R., Hossain, F. and Kumar, D. (2017). Biofortified varieties: Sustainable way to alleviate malnutrition. Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi. pp. 1-32.
- Ye, X., Al-Babili, S., Kloti, A., Zhang, J., Lucca, P., Beyer, P.I. and Potrykus, I. (2000). Engineering the provitamin A (b-carotene) biosynthetic pathway into (carotenoid-free) rice endosperm. Science, 287:303–305.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.