Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Crop production with limited irrigation: A review
First Online 06-03-2018|
- A.I.T.(2009). Asian Institute of Technology. Water saving irrigation practices in rice based canal systems. Findings from regional workshop organised in cooperation with the University of Copenhagen, 8–9 October 2009, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Allen, R.G., Pereira, L.S., Raea, D. and Smith, M.(1998). Crop evapotranspiration: Guidelines for computing crop water requirements. F.A.O. Irrigation and Drainage Paper No. 56. F.A.O, Rome.
- Batchelor, C.H., Rama Mohan Rao, M.S. and Manohar Rao, S. (2003). Watershed development: A solution to water shortages in semiarid India or part of the problem? Land Use and Water Resources Research.3: 1–10.
- Bhattacharyya, R., Kund, S., Singh, K.P. and Gupta, H.S. (2008). Tillage and irrigation effects on crop yield soil properties under rice- wheat system. Agric. Water Manage. 95: 993-1002.
- Bhattacharyya, R., Pandy, S.C., Bish, J.K. and Bhatt, J.C. (2013). Tillage and irrigation effects on soil aggregation and carbon pools. Agron. J.1005: 101-112.
- Calegari, A. (2006). Plantas de cobertura. In:Casao-Jnior, R, Siqeira, R (eds) Sistemaplantiodireto com qal-idadi. InstitutoAgronomico do Parana (IAPAR), Landrina.pp 53-75.
- Chai, Q., Gan, Y. and Zhao, C.(2016). Regulated deficit irrigation for crop production under drought stress. A review. Agron. Sustain. Dev.36: 1-30.
- Choudhury, B.U., Bouman, B.A.M. and Singh, A. K. (2007). Yield and water productivity of rice-wheat on raised beds of New Delhi, India. Field Crop Res. 100: 229-239.
- De Souza, C.R., Maroco, J.P., Dos Santos, T.P., Rodrigues, M.L., Lopes, C., Pereira, J.S. andChaves, M.M.(2005). Control of stomatal aperture and carbon uptake by deficit irrigation in two grapevine cultivars. Agric.Ecosyst. Environ.106: 261–274.
- Doorenbos, J. and Kassam, A.H. (1979). Yield response to water. F.A.O Irrigation and Drainage Paper 33, F.A.O, Rome.
- English, M.(1990). Deficit irrigation. I. Analytical framework. J.Irri.and Drainage Eng.116: 399–412.
- Fan, T., Stewart, B.A., Payne, W.A., Wang, Y., Song, S., Luo, J. and Robinson, C.A. (2005). Supplemental irrigation: Yield relationships for plasticulture crops in the loess plateau of China. Agron. J. 97: 177–188.
- F.A.O. (2010). The wealth of waste. The economics of wastewater use in agriculture. Prepared by Winpenny,J., Heinz, I. and Koo- Oshima, S. F.A.O. Water Reports, No. 35.
- F.A.O.(2012). Coping with water scarcity - An action framework for agriculture and food security. F.A.O, Rome.www.fao.org/docrep/ 016/i3015e/i3015e.pdf
- Fereres, E. and Connor, D.J.(2004). Sustainable water management in agriculture. In: Cabrera, E. and Cobach, R. (eds) Challenges of the new water policies for the XXI century. Lisse, The Netherlands: AA Balkema: 157-170.
- Fereres, E., Orgaz, F. and Villalobos, F.J. (1993). Water use efficiency in sustainable agricultural systems. In: Buxton, D.R., Shibles., R., Forsberg, R.A., Blad, B.L., Asay, K.H., Paulsen, G.M. and Wilson, R.F. (eds) International crop science. Madison, WI: Crop Sci. Soc. of Amer.: 83–89.
- Fereresl, E. and Soriano, M.A.(2007). Deficit irrigation for reducing agricultural water use. J. Exp. Bot. 58 (2): 147-159.
- Frederickson, H.D.(2009). The world water crisis and international security. Middle East Policy, 16 (4): 76–89.
- Gan, Y., Siddique, K.H.M., Turner, N.C., Li X.G., Niu, J.Y., Yang, C., Liu, L. and Chai, Q.(2013). Ridge-furrow mulching systems— an innovative technique for boosting crop productivity in semiarid rainfed environments. Adv.Agron.118: 429–476.
- Howell, T.A.(2001). Enhancing water use efficiency in irrigated agriculture. Agron. J.93: 281–289.
- Hsiao, T.C., Steduto, P. and Fereres, E.(2007). A systematic and quantitative approach to improve water use efficiency in agriculture. Irrigation Science25 (3): 209–231.
- Hu, F, Chai, Q., Yu, A., Yin, W., Cui, H. andGan, Y.(2015). Less carbon emissions of wheat–maize intercropping under reduced tillage in arid areas. Agron. Sustain. Dev.35:701–711.
- Jarvis, N.J.(2011). Simple physics-based models of compensatory plant water uptake: Concepts and eco-hydrological consequences. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci.15: 3431–3446.
- Jat, M.L., Saharawat, Y.S. and Gupta, R. (2011). Conservation agriculture in cereal systems of South Asia: Nutrient management practices. Kar. J. Agric. Sci.24: 100-105.
- Jones and Gains. (1941). Pump irrigation on South Plains. Prog. Rep, Tex. Agric. Exp. Stn. PR-728.
- Kijne, J.W., Barker, R. andMolden, D.J.(2003). Water productivity in agriculture: Limits and opportunities for improvement. Wallingford, UK: C.A.B.I, I.W.M.I.
- Kirda, C.(2002). Deficit irrigation scheduling based on plant growth stages showing water stress tolerance. In: Deficit irrigation practices, F.A.O. Water Reports22.
- Kirda, C. and Kanber, R.(1999). Water, no longer a plentiful resource, should be used sparingly in irrigated agriculture. In:Kirda, C., Moutonnet, P., Hera, C.and Nielsen, D.R. (eds) Crop yield response to deficit irrigation, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Kirda, C., Moutonnet, P., Hera, C. and Nielsen, D.R.(1999). Crop yield response to deficit irrigation. The Netherlands, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.
- Liu, F., Shahnazari, A., Andersen, M.N., Jacobsen, S.E. and Jensen, C.R.(2006). Physiological responses of potato (Solanumtuberosum L) to partial root-zone drying: ABA signalling, leaf gas exchange, and water use efficiency. J. Exp. Bot.57: 3727–3735.
- Molden, D. (1997). Accounting for water use and productivity. S.W.I.M Paper 1. International Water Management Institute, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Reddy, S.R.(1981). Studies on evapotranspiration in flooded rice field. Indian J.Agron.23: 438-443.
- Reddy, S.R.(2016). Principles of Agronomy. Kalyani Publishers, Ludhiana, India.
- Reddy, S.R. and Hukkeri, S.B.(1979). Soil, water and weed management practices for direct seeded rice grown on irrigated soils in north-western India. Indian J. Agric. Sci.49: 427-433.
- Reddy, S.R. and Hukkeri, S.B.(1983). Effect of tillage practices on irrigation requirement, weed management and yield of lowland rice. Soil and Tillage Research.3: 147-158.
- Reddy, S.R. and Hukkeri, S.B.(1980). Increasing the effectiveness of fertilisers and weed management in direct seeded irrigated rice. Fertiliser News.25: 30-33.
- Reddy, S.R. and Nagamani, C.(2016). Principles of Crop Production. Kalyani Publishers, Ludhiana, India.
- Reddy, S.R. and Reddy, C.R.(1992). Scheduling irrigation for peanuts at variable water supplies. Agric. Water Manage.23: 1-9.
- Reddy, S.R. and Reddy, G.K.(2016). Irrigation Agronomy. Kalyani Publishers, Ludhiana, India.
- Schneekloth, J., Bauder, T. and Hansen, N.(2009). Limited irrigation management. Fact Sheet No. 4.720. Crop Series/Irrigation.colostate.edu/ docs/pubs/crops/04720.pdf
- Steduto, P., Hsiao, T. C., Ferers, E. and Raes, D.(2012). Crop yield response to water. F.A.O. Irrigation and Drainage Paper No.66. FAO, Rome.
- Stewart, B. A. and Musick, J.T.(1982). Conjunctive use of rainfall and irrigation in semiarid regions. In:Danial Hillel, (ed) Advances in irrigation. 1: 1-23. Academic Press, New York.
- Stewart, B.A. and Nielsen, D.R.(1990). Irrigation of agricultural crops.Agronomy 30. Madison, WI: A.S.A, C.S.S.A, S.S.S.A.
- Stewart, I. and Hagan, R.(1973). Functions to predict effects of crop water deficits. J. of Irrig. and Drainage Divi., A.S.C.E 23: 421–439.
- Stewart, J. I., Cuenca, R.H., Pruitt, W.O., Hagan, R.M. and Tosso, J.(1977). Determination and utilisation of water production functions for principal California crops. W-67 California Contributing Project Report.Davis, United States of America, University of California.
- Unger, P.W. (1972). Dryland winter wheat and grain sorghum cropping system. Taxas Tex. Agric. Exp. Stn. Bull-1126: 1-20.
- Xu H.L., Qin, F.F., Xu, Q., Xu, R.Y., Wang, T.Y. and Wang, R.(2011). Applications of xerophytophysiology in plant production: sub-irrigation improves tomato fruit yield and quality. J. Food Agric. Environ.9: 256–263.
- Zwart, S.J. andBastiaanssen, W.G.M.(2004). Review of measured crop water productivity values for irrigated wheat, rice, cotton and maize. Agric. Water Manage. 69: 115–133.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.