Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Physiological and molecular response to low light intensity in rice: A review
First Online 05-09-2017|
- Adhya, T.K., Singh, O.N. and Ghosh, A. (2008) Rice in Eastern India: Causes for Low Productivity and Available Options. Journal of Rice Research, 2(1).
- Adriani, D.E., Dingkuhn, M., Dardou, A., Adam, H., Luquet, D. and Lafarge, T. (2016). Rice panicle plasticity in near isogenic lines carrying a QTL for larger panicle is genotype and environment dependent. Rice, 9:28, DOI 10.1186/s12284-016-0101-x.
- Ashkani, S., Yusop, M.R., Shabanimofrad, M., Azady, A., Ghasemzadeh, A., Azizi, P. and Latif, M.A. (2015). allele mining strategies: principles and utilisation for blast resistance genes in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Curr Issues Mol Biol., 17:57-73.
- Baloch, J.U.D., Munir, M., Iqbal, M. and Abid, M. (2012). Effects of varied irradiance on flowering time of facultative long day ornamental annuals. Pakistan Journal of Botany, 44:111-117.
- Bang, C.P. and Huyen, T.T.T. (2015). In Silico identification, classification and expression analysis of Genes encoding putative light- harvesting chlorophyll A/B-binding proteins in Coffee (Coffea Canephora L.). Journal of Agricultural Technology, 11: 2547-2561.
- Barmudoi, B. and Bharali, B. (2016). Effects of light intensity and quality on physiological changes in winter rice (Oryza Sativa L.). International Journal of Environmental & Agriculture Research, 2: 65-76.
- Beneragama, C.K. and Goto, K. (2010). Chlorophyll a: b ratio increases under low-light in ‘Shade-tolerant’ Euglena gracilis. Tropical Agricultural Research, 22: 12 - 25.
- Covshoff, S., Furbank, R.T., Leegood, R.C. and Hibberd, J.M. (2013). Leaf rolling allows quantification of mRNA abundance in mesophyll cells of sorghum. Journal of Experimental Botany, 64:807–813.
- Edzesi, W. M., Dang, X., Liang, L., Liu, E., Zaid, I.U. and Hong, D. (2016). Genetic diversity and elite allele mining for grain traits in rice (Oryza sativa L.) by association mapping. Front. Plant Sci.,| http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.00787.
- Emmanuel, G.A. and Mary, D.M. (2014). Effect of light intensity on growth and yield of a Nigerian local rice variety-Ofada. International Journal of Plant Research, 4: 89-94.
- Fabre, D., Adriani, D.E., Dingkuhn, M., Ishimaru, T., Punzalan, B., Lafarge, T., Clément-Vidal, A. and Luquet, D. (2016). The qTSN4 effect on flag leaf size, photosynthesis and panicle size, benefits to plant grain production in rice, depending on light availability. Front Plant Sci., 7(623), DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2016.00623.
- Fageria, N.K. (2013). Mineral nutrition of rice. CRC press, Taylor and Francis Group. Boca Raton.
- Hebbara, M., Rajakumar, G.R., Ravishankar, G. and Raghavaiah, C.V. (2003). Effect of salinity stress on seed yield through physiological parameters in sunflower genotypes. HELIA, 26:155-160.
- Jiao, Y., Ma, L., Strickland, E. and Denga, X.W. (2005). Conservation and divergence of light-regulated genome expression patterns during seedling development in rice and Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell, 17:3239–3256.
- Jiao, D. M. and Li, X. (2001). Cultivar differences in photosynthetic tolerance to photooxidation and shading in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Photosynthetica, 39: 167–175.
- Jung, K.H., Lee, J., Dardick, C., Seo, Y.S., Cao, P., Canlas, P., Phetsom, P., Xu, X., Ouyang, S., An, K., Cho, Yun-Ja., Lee, G.C., Lee, Y., An, G. and Ronald, P.C. (2008). Identification and functional analysis of light-responsive unique genes and gene family members in rice. PLoS Genetics, 4:e1000164.
- Kleffmann, T., Zychlinski, A., Russenberger, D., Hirsch-Hoffmann, M., Gehrig, P., Gruissem, W. and Baginsky, S. (2007). Proteome dynamics during plastid differentiation in rice. Plant Physiology, 143:912–923.
- Leung, H., Raghavan, C., Zhou, B., Oliva, R., Choi, IR., Lacorte, V., Jubay, M. L.., Cruz, C. V., et al. (2015). Allele mining and enhanced genetic recombination for rice breeding. Rice (N Y). 2015 Dec; 8:34.
- Li, T., Ohsugi, R., Yamagishi, T. and Sasaki, H. (2005). Effects of weak light on rice starch accumulation and starch synthesis enzyme activities at grain filling stage. Chin. J. Rice Sci., 19: 545–550.
- Liu, Q. H., Li, T., Cai, J. and Zhang, J.J. (2006). Effects of shading at different growth stages on amylose and protein contents in rice grain. Chin. Agric. Sci. Bull., 22: 234–237.
- Liu, Q. H., Zhou, X.B., Yang, L.Q., Li, T. and Zhang, J.J. (2009). Effects of early growth stage shading on rice flag leaf physiological characters and grain growth at grain-filling stage. Chin. J. Appl. Ecol., 20: 2135–2141.
- Liu, L., Wang, L., Deng, F., Huang, Y., Liu, D.Y., Ren, W.J. and Yang, W.Y. (2012). Osmotic regulation substance contents and activities of protective enzymes in leaves of different hybrid rice combinations as affected by shading. Chin J Rice Sci., 26: 569–575.
- Liu, Q.H., Wu, X., Chen, B.C., Ma, J.Q. and Gao, J. (2014). Effects of Low Light on Agronomic and Physiological Characteristics of Rice Including Grain Yield and Quality. Rice Science, 21: 243"251.
- Lu, Q., Zhang, M., Niu, X. et al., (2015). Genetic variation and association mapping for 12 agronomic traits in Indica rice. BMC Genomics, 16:1067.
- Meng, L., Chen, W. F., Li, L. X., Xu, Z. J., Liu, L. X. and Sun, J. W. (2002). Influence of low light on stomatal characters in rice leaves. J Shenyang Agric Univ., 33: 87–89.
- Murchie, E.H. and Horton, P. (1998). Contrasting patterns of photosynthetic acclimation to the light environment are dependent on the differential expression of the responses to altered irradiance and spectral quality. Plant, Cell and Environment, 21:139–148.
- Murchie, E.H., Hubbart, S., Chen, Y.Z., Peng, S.B. and Horton, P. (2002). Acclimation of rice photosynthesis to irradiance under field conditions. Plant Physiology, 130:1999–2010.
- Murchie, E.H., Hubbart, S., Chen, Y.Z., Peng, S.B. and Horton, P. (2005). Acclimation of photosynthesis to high irradiance in rice: gene expression and interactions with leaf development. Journal of Experimental Botany, 56:449.
- Myles, S., Peiffer, J., Brown, P.J., Ersoz, E.S., Zhang, Z., Costich, D.E. and Buckler, E.S. (2009). Association mapping: critical considerations shift from genotyping to experimental design. The Plant Cell, 21:2194–2202.
- Poolman, M.G., Kundu,S., Shaw, R. and Fell, D.A. (2013). Responses to light intensity in a genome-scale model of rice metabolism. Plant Physiology, 162:1060–1072.
- Ren, W.J., Yang, W.Y., Xu, J.W., Fan, G.Q., Wang, L.Y. and Guan, H. (2002). Impact of low-light stress on leaves characteristics of rice after heading. J Sichuan Agric Univ., 20(3): 205–208.
- Restrepo, H. and Garcés, G. (2013). Evaluation of low light intensity at three phenological stages in the agronomic and physiological responses of two rice (Oryza sativa L.) cultivars. Agronomía Colombiana, 31: 195-200.
- Singh, S. (2005). Effect of low-light stress at various growth phases on yield and yield components of two rice cultivars. IRRN, 30: 36-37.
- Shanker, A.K. (2014). Physiological and biochemical basis of low light tolerance of selected annual food grain crops with special relevance to Agroforestry: A transcriptomics approach. http://wca2014.org/physiological-and-biochemical-basis-of-low-light- tolerance/. Accessed 31 August 2016.
- Singh, H., Deshmukh, R.K., Singh, A., Singh, A.K., Gaikwad, K., Sharma, T.R., Mohapatra, T. and Singh, N.K. (2010). Highly variable SSR markers suitable for rice genotyping using agarose gels. Mol. Breed., 25:359–364.
- Sridevi, V. and Chellamuthu, V.M. (2015). Impact of weather on rice – A review. International Journal of Applied Research, 1: 825-831.
- Taiz, L. and Zeiger, E. (2010). Plant Physiology (5th ed.). Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, USA.
- Tian, L.I., Ohsugi, R., Yamagishi, T. and Sasaki, H. (2006). Effects of Weak Light on Starch Accumulation and Starch Synthesis Enzyme Activities in Rice at the Grain Filling Stage. Rice Science, 13: 51ÿ58.
- Thomas, B. and Vince-Prue, D. (1997). Photoperiodism in Plants. Academic Press, London.
- Umate, P. (2010). Genome-wide analysis of the family of light-harvesting chlorophyll a/b-binding proteins in arabidopsis and rice. Plant Signaling Behavior, 5:12, 1537-1542.
- Valladares, F. and Niinemets, U. (2008). Shade Tolerance, a Key Plant Feature of Complex Nature and Consequences. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics. 39:237–57.
- Venkateswarlu, B. and Visperas, R.M. (1987). Solar radiation and rice productivity. IRRI research paper series 129. International Rice Research Institute, Manila.
- Wang, Z. (2011). Plant Physiology. Beijing: Chinese Agriculture Press: 130–131.
- Wang, Z., Zhang, T., Xing, Y., Zeng, X., Wang, L., Liu, Z., Shi, J., Zhu, X., Ma, L., Li, Y., Ling, Y., Sang, X. and He, G. (2016). YGL9, encoding the putative chloroplast signal recognition particle43 kDa protein in rice, is involved in chloroplast development. Journal of Integrative Agriculture, 15: 60345-7.
- Xiu, D.Y., Xin, J., Jing, Z., Jun-Zhou, L., Hong-Zheng, S. and Quan-Zhi, Z. (2013). Research progress on the impacts of low light intensity on rice growth and development. Chinese Journal of Eco-Agriculture, 21:1307-1317.
- Yamamoto, Y., Kurokawa, H., Nitta, Y. and Yoshida, T. (1995). Varietal differences of tillering response to shading and nitrogen levels in rice plant: comparison between high tillering semidwaft Indica and low tillering Japonica. Jpn J Crop Sci., 64: 227–234.
- Yamori, W., Makino, A. and Shikanai, T. (2016). A physiological role of cyclic electron transport around photosystem I in sustaining photosynthesis under fluctuating light in rice. Scientific Reports, 6:20147, doi: 10.1038/srep20147.
- Yamazaki, J.Y., Kamimura, Y., Okada, M. and Sugimara, Y. (1999). Changes in photosynthetic characteristics and photosystem stoichiometries in the lower leaves in rice seedlings. Plant Science, 148:155–163.
- Yang, D., Duan, L.S., Xie, H.A., Li, Z.H. and Huang, T.X. (2011). Effect of pre-flowering light deficiency on biomass accumulation and physiological characteristics of rice. Chin J Eco-Agric., 19: 347–352.
- Yuan, Y., Miao, J., Tao, Y. (2016). Identification and fine mapping of qPH6, a novel major quantitative trait locus for plant height in rice. Mol Breeding, 35: 56.
- Zervoudakis, G., Salahas, G., Kaspiris, G. and Konstantopoulou, E. (2012). Influence of light intensity on growth and physiological characteristics of common sage (Salvia officinalis L.). Brazilian archives of biology and technology, 55: 89-95.
- Zhu, P., Yang, S.M., Ma, J., Li, S.X. and Chen, Y. (2008). Effect of shading on the photosynthetic characteristics and yield at later growth stage of hybrid rice combination. Acta Agron Sin., 34: 2003–2009.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.