Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Weed management in direct seeded rice: A review
First Online 16-02-2017|
Weeds are the major biological constraint in direct seeded rice (DSR) due to the concurrent emergence of competitive weeds, absence of water to suppress weeds at the time of seedling emergence and emergence of difficult to control weeds. Strategies on weed management in direct seeded rice depend on critical period of weed control, weed flora and method to be adopted. In order to achieve the long term and sustainable management of weeds in DSR an integration of different weed management strategies like integrated weed management (IWM) are essential. The literature regarding the critical period of weed control, weed flora and different methods for the sustainable management of weeds in direct seeded rice are reviewed in this paper.
- Abraham, C.T. and Menon, A.V. (2015). Efficacy of combination of penoxsulam + cyhalofop butyl on weed management in wet seeded rice. In: [Shetty, S.V.R., Prasad, T.V.R., Chinnusamy, C., Sanjay, M.T., Sondhia, S. and Kumar, S.(eds)], Proceedings of the Twenty fifth Asian-acific Weed Science Conference (Volume 111 poster papers), 13- 16 October 2015, Hyderabad, India, Indian Weed Science Society, Jabalpur, pp.41.
- Agropedia, (2009). Weed management in organic basmati rice. Available: agropedia.link.ac.in/node/2295 [20 December 2016].
- Ali, A., Erenstein, O. and Rahut, D.B. (2014). Impact of direct rice sowing technology on rice producer’s earning: empirical evidence from Pakistan. Dev. Res. Stud. 1: 244-254. Available: http: //dx. Doi.org/10.1080/21665095.2014.943777 [26 Oct. 2015].
- Andrew, K.S., Storkey, J. and Sparkes, D.L. (2015). A review of the potential for competitive cereal cultivars as a tool in integrated weed management. Weed Res. 55: 239-248.
- Anitha, S. and Mathew, J. (2010). In situ green manuring with daincha (Sesbania aculeata Pers.): a cost effective management alternative for wet seeded rice (Oryza sativa L.). J. Tropical Agri. 48: 34-39.
- Anwar, M.P., Juraimi. A.S., Puteh, A., Selamat, A., Rahman, M.M., and Samedani, M. (2012). Seed priming influences weed competitiveness and productivity of aerobic rice. Acta Agric. Scandin. 62: 499-509.
- Aurora, M.B. and De Datta, S.K. (1992). Weed management in rice. Weed Abstr. 41: 495-508.
- Avudaithai, S. and Veerabadran, V. (2000). Effect of herbicide mixtures on the total weed spectrum in transplanted rice. Crop Res. 19: 6-12.
- Awan, T.H., Ali, I., Manzoor, Z., Safdar, I. and Ashraf, M. (2006). Economic effect of different plant establishment techniques on rice production. J. Agric. Res. 9: 580-588.
- Azmi, M., Juraimi, A.S. and Mohammad Najib, M.Y. (2007). Critical period of weedy rice control in direct seeded rice. J. Tropic. Agric. Food Sci. 35: 319-332.
- Banerjee, A. (2015). Farmers get quick wins from laser levelling. Available: csia.org/farmers-get-quick-wins-from-laser- levelling/[20 December 2016].
- Begum, M., Juraimi, A.S., Syed Omer, S.R., Rajan, A. and Azmi, M. (2011). Effect of herbicides for the control of Fimbristylis mlilaceae (L.) Vahl. in rice. J. Agron. 7: 251-267.
- Boyette, C.D., Templeton, G.E., and Smith Jr. R. J. (1979). Control of winged waterprimrose (Jussiaea decurrens) and northern joint vetch (Aeschynomene virginica) with fungal pathogens. Weed Sci. 27: 497-501.
- Bradford, K.J. (1986). Manipulation of seed water relations via osmotic priming to improve germination under stress conditions. Hort. Sci. 21: 1105-1111.
- Buhler, D.D., Liebman, M. and Obrycki, J.J. (2000). Theoretical and practical challenges to an IPM approach to weed management. Weed Sci. 48: 274-280.
- Caton, B. P., Cope, A. E., and Mortimer, M. (2003). Growth traits of diverse rice cultivars under severe competition: Implications for screening for competitiveness. Field Crops Res. 83: 157–172.
- Chauhan, B.S. (2012). Weed ecology and weed management strategies for dry-seeded rice in Asia. Weed Technol. 26: 1–13.
- Chauhan, B.S. and Johnson, D.E. (2008). Germination ecology of Chinese sprangletop (Leptochloa chinensis) in the Philippines. Weed Sci. 56: 820–825.
- Chauhan, B. S. and Johnson, D. E. (2010). The role of seed ecology in improving weed management strategies in the tropics. Adv. Agron. 105: 221–262.
- Chauhan, B.S. and Johnson, D.E. (2011). Row spacing and weed control timing affect yield of aerobic rice. Field Crop Res. 121: 226-331.
- Chauhan, B.S., Kumar, V. and Mahajan, G. (2014). Research needs for improving weed management in rice. Indian J. Weed Sci. 46: 1-13.
- Chauhan, B. S. and Yadav, A. (2013). Weed management approaches for dry seeded rice in India- a review. Indian J. Weed Sci. 45: 1-6.
- Chhokar, R.S., Sharma, R.K., Singh, R.K. and Gill, S.C. (2008). Herbicide resistance in little seed canary grass (Phalaris minor) and its management. In: Proceedings of the 14thAustralian Agronomy Conference, Adelaide, South Australia,106p.
- DRR [Directorate of Rice Research]. (2013). Progress Report, 2012, Vol. 3, Crop Production (Agronomy), Soil Science and Plant Physiology), All India Coordinated Rice Improvement Programme (ICAR), Directorate of Rice Research, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, A.P., India, pp.9.
- Damalas, C.A. (2005). Herbicide tank mixture: common interactions. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 6: 209-212.
- Dass, A., Shekhawat, K., Choudhary, A.K. Sepat, S., Rathore, S.S., Mahajan, G. and Chauhan, B.S. (2016). Weed management in rice using crop competition- a review. Crop Prot. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2016.08.005 [20 December 2016].
- De Datta, S. K. (1981). Principles and practices of rice production. John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 485p.
- Dingkuhn, M., Johnson, D. E., Sow, A. and Audebert, A. Y. (1999). Relationships between upland rice canopy characteristics and weed competitiveness. Field Crops Res. 61: 79-95.
- Duary, B., Mishra, M.M., Dash, R. and Teja, K.C. 2015. Weed management in lowland rice. Indian J. Weed Sci. 47: 224-232.
- Farooq, M., Basra, S.M.A., Ahmad, N., and Murtaza, G. (2009). Enhancing the performance of transplanted course rice by seed priming. Paddy Water Environ. 7: 55-63.
- Farooq, M., Wahid, A., Ahmad, N. and Asad, S.A. (2010). Comparative efficacy of surface drying and re-drying seed priming in rice. Changes in emergence, seedling growth and associated metabolic events. Paddy Water Environ. 8: 15-22.
- Ferrero, A. (2003). Weedy rice, biological features and control. In: Labrada, R. (ed.) Weed Management for Developing Countries: Addendum 1, FAO, Rome FAO Plant Production and Protection Paper 120, Add. 1, pp. 89–107.
- Fischer, A.J., Ramirez, H.V., and Lozano, J. (1997). Suppression of junglerice (Echinochloa colona (L.) Link) by irrigated rice cultivars in Latin America. Agron. J. 89: 516–552.
- Gill, G.S. and Holmes, J.E. (1997). Efficacy of cultural control methods for combating herbicide-resistant Lolium rigidum. Pestic. Sci. 51: 352- 358.
- Gopal, R., Jat, R.K., Malik, R.K., Kumar, V., Alam, M.M., Jat, M.L., Mazid, M.A., Saharawat, Y.S., Mc Donald, A., and Gupta, R. (2010). Direct Dry Seeded Rice Production Technology and Weed Management in Rice Based Systems. Technical Bulletin, International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, New Delhi, India, 28p.
- Hasanuzzaman M., Ali, M.H., Akther, M. and Alam, K.F. (2009). Evaluation of pre-emergence herbicide and hand weeding on the weed control efficiency and performance of transplanted Aus rice. Am. Eurasian J. Agron. 2: 138-143.
- Hill, J.E., Mortimer, A.M., Namuco, O.S. and Janiya, J.D. (2001). Water and weed management in direct-seeded rice: Are we headed in the right direction? In: Peng, S. and Hardy, B (eds), Rice research for food security and poverty alleviation, International Rice Research Institute, Los Banos, Philippines, pp.491-510.
- ICAR. (2007). Vision -2025- NRCWI Perspective plan , Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi, India.
- Jacob, G., Menon, M.V. and Abraham, C.T. (2014). Comparative efficacy of new herbicides in direct seeded rice. J. Trop. Agric. 52: 174-177.
- Jat, M.L., Gathala, M.K., Ladha, J.K., Saharawat, Y.S., Jat, A.S., Vipin, K., Sharma, S.K., Kumar, V., and Gupta, R. K. (2009). Evaluation of precision land leveling and double zero-till systems in the rice-wheat rotation: Water use, productivity, profitability and soil physical properties. Soil Till. Res. 105: 112–121.
- Jayadeva, H.M., Bhairappanavar, S.T., Hugar, A.Y., Rangaswamy, B.R., Mallikarjun, G.B., Malleshappa, C. and Naik, D.C. (2011). Integrated weed management in aerobic rice (Oryza sativa L.). Agric. Sci. Digest. 31: 58-61.
- Jose, N., Abraham, C.T., Mathew, R., and Leenakumary, S. (2013). Biology and management of weedy rice in direct- seeded puddled rice. In: Bakar, B.H., Kuriniadie, D. and Tjitrosoedirdjo, S. (eds), The role of weed science in suppressing food security by 2020. Proceedings of 24th Asian-Pacific Weed Science Conference, October 22-25 2013, Bandung, Indonesia, pp.472-478.
- Juraimi, A.S., Anwar, M.P., Selamat, A., Puteh, A., and Man, A. (2012). The influence of seed priming on weed suppression in aerobic rice. Pak. J. Weed Sci. Res. 18: 257-264.
- Jyothi, G., Reddy, K.R.N., Reddy, K.R.K., and Podile, A.R. (2013). Exploration of suitable solid media for mass multiplication of Cochliobolus lunatus and Alternaria alternata used as mycoherbicide for weed management (barnyard grass) in rice. J. Exp. Biol. Agric. Sci. 1: 281-284.
- Khadir, A., Sajilli, M.H., Juraimi, A.S. and Napis, S. (2008). Effect of Exserohilum monocerus (Dreshslera) Leonard and Suggs on the competitiveness of Echinochloa crusgalli (L.) P. Beauv. Pertanika J Tropical Agric. Sci. 3: 19-26.
- Khan, A.R., Srivastava, R.C., Ghorai, A.K., and Singh, S.R. (2003). Efficient soil solarization for weed control in the rain- fed upland rice ecosystem. Int. Agrophysics 17: 99–103.
- Kumar, P., Singh, Y., and Singh, U.P. (2013). Evaluation of cultivars and herbicides for control of barnyard grass and nut sedge in boro rice. Indian J. Weed Sci. 45: 76-79.
- Kumar, V. and Ladha, J.K. (2011). Direct seeding of rice: recent developments and future research needs. Adv. Agron. 111: 299-360.
- Lap, N., Somsak, S., Yuli, I.M. Duy, L., Choy, L.L., Victoria, E.B., Niranjan, B.V. and Mann, R.K. (2013). Efficacy and rice tolerance to penoxsulam + cyhalofop herbicide mixtures in Asean countries [abstract]. In: Programme and Abstracts, 24th APWSS Conference, 22-25 October, Padjadjaran University Convention Hall, Bandung, West Java, Indonesia, pp.97.
- Liebman, M. and Gallandt, E.R. (1997). Many little hammers: ecological management of crop-weed interactions. In: Jack- son, L.E.(ed.), Ecology in Agriculture, San Diego, CA: Academic Press, pp. 291-343.
- Lotz, L.A.P., Wallinga, J., and Kropff, M.J. (1995). Crop-weed interactions: Quantification and prediction. In: Glen, D.M., Greaves, M. P. and Anderson, H. M. (eds), Ecology and Integrated Farming Systems, Wiley and Sons, Chichester, U. K., pp. 31–47.
- Mahajan, G. and Chauhan, B.S. (2008). Performance of penoxsulam for weed control in transplanted rice. Pest Technol. 2: 114-116.
- Maity, S.K. and Mukherjee, P.K. (2008). Integrated weed management in dry direct-seeded rice (Oryza sativa). Indian J. Agron. 53: 116-120.
- Mukherjee, D. (2006). Weed management strategy in rice-a review. Agric. Rev. 27: 247-257.
- Ni, H., Moody, K., Robles, R. P., Paller, E. C. and Lales, J. S. (2000). Oryza sativa plant traits conferring competitive ability against weeds. Weed Sci. 48: 200–204.
- Ojha, P. and Kwatra, S. (2014). Analysis of different paddy transplanting methods in northern India: Ergo- economical study. J. Appl. Nat. Sci. 6: 654-658.
- Pane, H. and Fagi, A.M. (1992). Integrated weed control to minimizeherbicide application in lowland rice. In: International Rice Research Conference, IRRI, Los Banos, Philippines p.23
- Paswan, A., Kumar, R., Kumar, P., and Singh, R. K. (2012). Influence of Metsulfuron-methyl and carfentrazone-ethyl either alone or in combination on weed flora, crop growth and yield in wheat (Triticum aestivum). Madras Agric. J. 99: 560-562.
- Porwal, M.K. (1999). Weed management through herbicide in direct drilled upland rice in rainfed situations of southern Rajasthan. Indian J. Weed Sci. 31: 196-198.
- Rahman, M., Juraimi, A.S., Jaya Suria, A.S.M., Man, A.B. and Anwar, P. (2012). Response of weed flora to different herbicides in aerobic rice system. Sci. Res. Essays 7: 12-23.
- Raj, S.K., Jose, N., Mathew, R., Sandhyadevi, C.D., and Leenakumary, S. (2013a). Evaluation of Broad spectrum herbicide- Bispyribac Sodium + Metamifop on weed control and productivity of direct seeded rice in Kuttanad. In: Bakar, B.H., Kuriniadie, D. and Tjitrosoedirdjo, S. (eds), The role of weed science in suppressing food security by 2020. Proceedings of 24th Asian-Pacific Weed Science Conference, October 22-25 2013, Bandung, Indonesia, pp. 465-471.
- Raj, S.K., Mathew, R., Jose, N. and Leenakumary, S. (2013b). Evaluation of early post emergence and post emergence herbicides on weed control and productivity of direct-seeded puddled rice in Kuttanad. Madras. Agric. J. 100: 738-742.
- Rajkhowa, D.J., Borah, N., Barua, I.C. and Deka, N.C. (2006). Effect of pyrazosulfuron ethyl on weeds and productivity of transplanted rice during rainy season. Indian J. Weeds Sci. 38: 25-28.
- Rana, M.N., Al Mamum, M.A., Zahan, A., Ahmed, M.N., Mridha, M.A.J. (2014). Effect of planting methods on the yield and yield attributes of short duration Aman rice. Am. J. Plant Sci. 5:25‘-255.
- Rao, A.N., Johnson, D.E., Sivaprasad, B., Ladha, J.K., and Mortimer, A.M. (2007). Weed management in direct-seeded rice. Adv. Agron. 93: 153–255.
- Rao, V.S. (2011). Principles of weed science (2nd Ed.). Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, pp.277.
- Rickman, J.F. (2002). Manual for Laser Land Leveling. Rice–Wheat Consortium Technical Bulletin Series 5. Rice–Wheat Consortium for the Indo-Gangetic Plains, New Delhi, India, 24 p.
- Sen, L.T.H., Ranamukhaarachchi, S.L., Zoebisch, M.A., Hasan, M.M., and Meskuntavon, W. (2002). Effects of early- inundation and water depth on weed competition and grain yield of rice in the Central Plains of Thailand In: Conference on International Agricultural Research for Development, October 9-11, 2002, Deutscher Tropentag, Witzenhausen.
- Singh, G. (2008). Integrated weed management in direct- seeded rice. In: Singh, Y., Singh, V.P.,Chauhan, B., Orr, A., Mortimer, A.M., Johnson, D. E. and Hardy, B (eds), Direct seeding of rice and weed management in the irrigated rice-wheat cropping system of the Indo-Gangetic plains, IRRI, Los Banos, Phillippines, pp.161-175.
- Singh, G., Singh, V.P. and Singh, M. (2004). Effect of almix and butachlor alone and in combinations on transplanted rice and associated weeds. Indian J. Weed Sci. 36: 64-67.
- Singh, K., Kumar, V., Saharawat, Y.S, Gathala, M., and Ladha, J.K. (2013). Weedy Rice: An Emerging Threat for Direct- seeded Rice Production Systems in India. J. Rice Res. 1: 106.
- Singh, M. and Singh, R.P. (2010). Influence of crop establishment methods and weed management practices on yield and economics of direct-seeded rice (Oryza sativa). Indian J. Agron. 55: 224-229.
- Singh, M.K. (2013). Competitiveness of rice cultivars under stale seedbed in dry direct- seeded rice. Ind. J. Weed. Sci. 45: 171–174.
- Singh, S., Chhokar, R. S., Gopal, R., Ladha, J. K., Gupta, R. K., Kumar, V., and Singh, M. (2009). Integrated weed management: A key to success for direct-seeded rice in the Indo-Gangetic Plains. In: Ladha, J.K., Singh, Y., Erenstein, O. and Hardy, B. (eds) Integrated Crop and Resource Management in the Rice-Wheat System of South Asia”, International Rice Research Institute, Los Banos, Philippines, pp. 261–278.
- Singh, S., Ladha, J.K., Gupta, R.K., Bhusan, L., Rao, A.N., Sivaprasad, B., and Singh, P.P. (2007). Evaluation of mulching, intercropping with Sesbania and herbicide use for weed management in dry-seeded rice (Oryza sativa). Crop Prot. 26: 518–524.
- Singh, V. P., Singh, G., Mortimer, M. and Johnson, D.E. (2008). Weed species shifts in response to direct seeding in rice. In: Singh, Y., Singh, V.P., Chauhan, B., Orr, A., Mortimer, A.M., Johnson, D. E. and Hardy, B (eds), Direct seeding of rice and weed management in the irrigated rice-wheat cropping system of the Indo-Gangetic plains, IRRI, Los Banos, Phillippines, pp. 213-219.
- Smith, R.J. Jr. (1992). Biological controls as components of integrated weed management for rice in the U.S. In: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Biological Control and Integrated Management of Paddy and Aquatic Weeds in Asia. Sukuba, Japan, pp. 335-351.
- Smith, R.J. Jr. and J.D. Sullivan, J. D. (1980). Reduction of red rice grain in rice fields by winter feeding of ducks. Arkansas Farm Res. 29: 3.
- Thi, H.L., Man, L.H., Chin, D.V., Auld, B.A., and Hetherington, S.D. (1999). Research on some fungi to control barnyard grass and red sprangletop in rice. In: Proceedings of the Seventeenth Asian-pacific Weed Science Society conference, Bangkok, Thailand, pp. 562-566.
- Valverde, B.E., Riches, C.R. and Caseley, J.C. (2000). Prevention and management of herbicide resistant weeds in rice: Experiences from Central America with Echinochloa colona . Camara de Insumos Agropecuarios, 123p.
- Zhao, D.L., Atlin, G.N., Bastiaans, L., and Spiertz, J.H.J. (2006). Cultivar weed competitiveness in aerobic rice: Heritability, correlated traits, and the potential for in direct selection in weed-free environment. Crop Sci. 46: 372–380.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.