Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Irrigation scheduling in direct seeded rice (Oryza sativa L.)-A review
First Online 28-09-2015|
- Balasubramanian, R. and Krishnarajan, J. (2000). Influence of Irrigation regimes on growth, water use and water use efficiency of direct seeded rice. Res. on Crops. 1: 1-4.
- Balasubramanian, R. and Krishnarajan, J. (2001a). Balance sheet of nutrients in direct seeded rice as influenced by irrigation regimes. Madras Agric. J. 87: 620-625.
- Balasubramanian, R. and Krishnarajan, J. (2001b). Yield and correlation studies in direct seeded rice as influenced by irrigation levels. Indian J. Agric. Res. 35: 3.
- Balasubramanian, R., Krishnarajan, J. and Ramesh, S. (2001). Economical use of water for direct-seeded rice. Rice research for food security and poverty alleviation. Proc Int. Rice Research Conference, Pp. 511-520. Los-Banos, Philippines, 31-March-3-April,-2000.
- Bali, A. S. (1992). Growth and yield dynamics of Basmati rice (Oryza sativa) in relation to irrigation schedules and planting dates. Ph.D. dissertation. Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Bali, A.S. and Uppal, H.S.(1999).Â Irrigation schedule in producing quality basmati rice (Oryza sativa). Indian J. Agric. Sci. 69(5): 325-328.
- Barker, R., Dawe, D., Tuong, T. P., Bhuiyan, S. I. and Guerra, L. C. (1999). The outlook for water resources in the year 2020: challenges for research on water management in rice production. In:Assessment and orientation towards the 21st century. Proc of 19th session of the International Rice Commission, Cairo, Egypt, Pp 96-109.7-9 September 1998, Rome (Italy): FAO.
- Belder, P., Bouman, B. A. M. and Spiertz, J. H. J. (2007). Exploring options for water savings in lowland rice using a modelling approach. Agric. Syst. 92: 91-114.
- Bhuiyan, S. I., Sattar, M. A. and Tabbal, D. F. (1995). Wet seeded rice: water use efficiency and productivity and constraints to wider adoption. In Moody k (ed) Constraints, Opportunities and innovations for wet seeded rice, Pp: 143-155. Los Banos (Phillipines): IRRI.
- Biswas, J. K. and Yamauchi, M. (2007). Mechanism of seedling of direct-seeded rice (Oryza sativa L.) under lowland condition. Rice Sci. 60: 191-226.
- Borell, A., Garside, A. and Fukai, S. (1997). Improving efficiency of water for irrigated rice in a semi arid tropical environment. Field Crops Res. 52: 231-48.
- Bouman, B. A. M. (2009) How much water does rice use? Rice Today 8: 28–29.
- Bouman, B. A. M., Peng, S., Castaneda, A. R. and Visperas, R. M. (2005). Yield and water use of tropical aerobic rice systems. Agric. Water Manage. 74: 87–105.
- Das, J. C., Saramah, N. N., Barakakoty, P. K. and Choudhury, A. K. (2000). Effect of irrigation regimes on transplated summer (Ahu) rice in Assam. Annals Agric. Res. 21:481-484.
- Dawe, D.(2005). Increasing water productivity in rice-based systems in Asia: past trends, current problems, and future prospects. Plant Prod. Sci. 8: 221-230.
- Edwin, L. and Anal, P. S. M. (2008). Effect of irrigation regimes and nitrogen management practices on uptake of nutrients and grain yield in hybrid rice (Oryza sativa L.). Environ. Ecol. 26:1146-1148.
- Farooq, M., Basra, S. M. A. and Wahid, A. (2006a). Priming of ûeld-sown rice seed enhances germination, seedling establishment, allometry and yield. Plant Growth Regul. 49: 285-294.
- Farooq, M., Basra, S. M. A., Tabassum, R. and Afzal, I. (2006b). Enhancing the performance of direct seeded rice by seed priming. Pl. Prod. Sci. 9(4): 446-456.
- Gill, M. S. and Dhingra, K. K. ( 2002). Growing of basmati rice by direct seeding method in Punjab. Indian Farmer’s Digest. 13: 141.
- Gill, M. S. and Singh, M. P. (2008). Grain yield and water productivity of direct seeded basmati rice (Oryza sativa) under various seed rates, weed control and irrigation schedules. Environ. and Eco. 26: 594-597.
- Gleick, P. H. (1993). Water crisis: a guide to the world’s fresh water resources. Pp-473. Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security Stockholm Environment Institute. New York (USA): Oxford University Press.
- Guerra, L. C., Bhuiyan, S. I., Tuong, T. P. and Barker, R.(1998). Producing more rice with less water from irrigated systems. Pp-24.SWIM Paper 5. IWMI/IRRI, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Huang, D. F., Xi,L.L., Wang, Z. Q., Liu, L. J. and Yang, J. C. (2008). Effects of irrigation regimes during grain filling on grain quality and the concentration and distribution of cadmium in different organs of rice. Acta Agronomica Sinica. 34:456-464.
- Husain, M. F., Mohd-Shamim and Pal, S. (2008). Influence of irrigation schedule on yield and water use efficiency of rice (Oryza sativa) in Kharif season. International J. Agric. Sci. 4: 332-334.
- Islam, M. T.(1999). Plant water relation studies in diverse rice cultivars under Bangladesh climatic conditions. Ph.D. dissertation. Institute of Agronomy and University Agriculture Science,Vienna.
- Islam, M. T, Salam, M. A. and Kauser, M. (1994). Effect of soil water stress at different growth stages of rice on yield components and yield. Prog Agric 5 :151-156.
- Jadhav, A. S. and Dahiphale, V. V. (2005). Effects of irrigation and nitrogen on yield and nitrogen uptake of basmati rice in vertisols. J. Maharashtra Agric. Univ. 30: 368-369.
- Jadhav, A. S., Dahiphale, V. V., Gunjkar, M. U. and Dahiphale, A. V. (2000). Response of upland Basmati rice to irrigation application on vertisols. J. Maharashtra Agric. Univ. 24: 339-340.
- Jadhav, A. S., Dhoble, M. V. and Chavan, D. A. (2003). Effect of irrigation and nitrogen on yield and quality of Basmati rice. J. Maharashtra Agric. Univ. 28: 187-188.
- Jat, M. L., Gathala, M. K., Ladha, J. K., Saharawat, Y. S., Jat, A. S., Kumar, V., Sharma, A. S. and Gupta, R. (2009). Evaluation of precision land leveling and double zero-till systems in the rice-wheat rotation: Water use, productivity, profitability and soil physical properties. Soil Till. Res. 105: 112–121.
- Kaddah, M. T. (1976). Subsoil chiseling and slip plowing effects on soil properties and wheat grown on a stratified fine sandy soil. Agron. J. 68: 36-39.
- Kato, Y. and Okami, M. (2010). Root growth dynamics and stomatal behaviour of rice (Oryza sativa L.) grown under aerobic and flooded condition. Field Crop Res. 117: 9-17.
- Kaur, J. (2004). Comparative performance of different planting techniques on growth, productivity and water saving in paddy (Oryza sativa L.). M.Sc. Thesis, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Khalifa, A. A. A., Salem, A. K. M. and EI Refaee, I. S. (2005). Effect of irrigation intervals and nitrogen sources on yield, sugar and starch content of rice. Egyptian J Agron 27:113-123.
- Kukal, S. S., Hira, G.S. and Sidhu, A. S. (2005). Soil matric potential-based irrigation scheduling to rice (Oryza sativa). Irri. Sci.23:153-159.
- Kumar, A. (2002). Growth and yield of different rice (Oryza sativa L) cultivars under various methods and time of sowing. M.Sc. Thesis, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Lourduraj, A. C. and Bayan, H. C. (1999). Irrigation management in lowland rice –a review. Agric. Reviews. 20:185-192.
- Lu, J., Liu, Y. L. and Hirasawa, T. (2001). Study on intermittent irrigation for paddy rice. II: Crop responses. Pedosphere 11:227-234.
- Luikham, E., Krishanarajan, J. and Premsekhar, M. (2004). Irrigation and nitrogen application schedules for hybrid ADTRH 1 rice (Oryza sativa) in Tamil Nadu. Indian J. Agron. 49: 37-39.
- Mahajan, G., Sardana, V., Brar, A. S. and Gill, M. S. (2006). Effect of seed rates, irrigation intervals and weed pressure on productivity of rice (Oryza sativa). Indian J. Agric. Sci. 76: 756-759.
- Maheswari, J., Maragatham, N. and Martin, G. J. (2007). Relatively simple irrigation scheduling and N application enhances the productivity of aerobic rice (Oryza sativa L.). American J. Plant Phy. 2: 261-268.
- Mann, R. A. and Ashraf, M. (2004). Improvement of Basmati and its production practices in Pakistan. In: “Speciality rices of the world: breeding, production and marketing”. Ed Duffy, et. al., Food and Agricultural Organization of United Nations, Rome, Italy. Pp 134, 135, 137 and 140.
- Matsuo, N. and Mochizuki, T. (2009). Growth and yield of six rice cultivars under three water saving cultivations. Plant Prod. Sci. 12:514-525.
- Parihar, S. S. (2004). Effect of crop -establishment method, tillage, irrigation and nitrogen on production potential of rice (Oryza sativa)-wheat (Triticum aestivum) cropping system. Indian J. Agron. 49:1-5.
- Postel, S.(1997). Last oasis: facing water scarcity. Pp 239.New York (USA): Norton and Company.
- Prasad, U. K. and Prasad, T. N. (1989). Water requirement of early paddy in calcareous soils of North Bihar. Indian farming. 38 : 7-8.
- Prihar, S. S., Verma, V. K., Shukla, R. K., Pandey, D. and Sharman, R. B. (1995). Response of transplanted rice (Oryza sativa L) to planting time and irrigation schedule. Indian J. Agron. 40 : 402-406.
- Rahman, M. T., Islam, M. T. and Islam, M. O. (2002). Effect of water stress at different growth stages on yield and yield contributing characters of transplanted aman rice. Pak. J. Bio. Sci. 5: 169-172.
- Ramakrishna, Y., Singh, S. and Parihar, S. S. (2007). Influence of irrigation regime and nitrogen management on productivity, nitrogen uptake and water use by rice (Oryza sativa). Indian J. Agron. 52: 102-106.
- Ramamoorthy, K., Arokiaraj, A. and Balasubramanian, A. (1998). Response of upland direct-seeded rice (Oryza sativa) to soil-moisture regime and weed control. Indian J. Agron. 43: 82-86.
- Reddy, M. N. and Raju, R. A. (1987). Studies on water management in rice vertisols. Indian J. Agron. 32: 223-234.
- Rezaei, M, Vahed, H. S., Amiri, E., Motamed, M. K. and Azarpore, E. (2009).The effects of irrigation and nitrogen management on yield and water productivity of rice. World Applied Sci. J. 7:203-210.
- Rosegrant, M. W. (1998). Water and irrigation policy: prospects for the future and implications for rice production. In: Pingali, P. and Hossain, M. ( editors). Impact of rice research. Proc Inter Conference on the Impact of Rice Research, Pp 83-112, 3-5 June 1996, Bangkok. Thailand Development Research Institute, Bangkok, Thailand, and International Rice Research Institute, Manila, Philippines.
- Saharawat, Y. S., Singh, B., Malik, R. K., Ladha, J. K., Gathala, M., Jat, M. L. and Kumar, V. (2010). Evaluation of alternative tillage and crop establishment methods in a rice – wheat rotation in North Western IGP. Field Crops Res. 116: 260-67.
- Sandhu, B. S., Khera, K. L., Prihar, S. S. and Singh, B. (1980). Irrigation needs and yield of rice on a sandy loam soil as affected by continuous and intermittent submergence. Indian J. Agri. Sci. 50:492-496.
- Sharma, P. K., Bhushan, L., Ladha, J. K., Naresh, R. K., Gupta, R. K., Balasubramanian, B. V. and Bouman, B. A. M. (2002). Crop-water relations in rice-wheat cropping under different tillage systems and water management practices in a marginally sodic medium textured soil. In: Bouman, B. A. M., Hengsdijk, H., Hardy, B., Bihdraban, B., Toung, T. P. and Ladha, J. K. (eds.) Proc International Workshop on Water-wise Rice Production. International Rice Research Institute, Los Banos, Philippines, pp: 223-235.
- Shekara, B. G., Sharnappa and Krishnamurthy, N. (2010). Effect of irrigation schedules on growth and yield of aerobic rice (Oryza sativa L.) under varied levels of farmyard manure in Cauvery command area Ind. J.Agron. 55(1): 35-39.
- Singh, A. K., Choudhury, B. U., Bouman, B. A. M. (2002). Effects of rice establishment methods on crop performance, wateruse and mineral nitrogen. In: Bouman, B. A. M., Hengsdijk, H., Hardy, B., Bihdraban, B., Toung, T. P. and Ladha, J. K. (eds.), Proc International Workshop on Water-wise Rice Production. International Rice Research Institute, Los Banos, Philippines, pp: 237–246.
- Singh, S., Ladha, J. K., Gupta, R. K., Bhushan, L. and Rao, A. N. (2008). Weed management in aerobic rice system under varying establishment methods. Crop Prot. 27: 660-671.
- Singh, S., Sharma, R. K., Singh, G., Singh, S. S., Singh, U. P., Gill, M. S., Jat, M. L., Sharma, S. K., Malik, R. K., Joshi, A., Patil, S. G., Ladha, J. K. and Gupta, R. (2005). Direct Seeded Rice: A Promising Resource Conserving Technology. Rice-Wheat Consortium for Indo-Gangetic Plains, September, 2005.
- Sorour, F., A., Mosalem, M. E., Mahrous, F. N. and El-Refaee, I. S.(1998). Effect of irrigation interval and potassium fertilization level on growth, yield and quality of rice. Annals of Agricultural Science Cairo. (Special issue): 663-678. Proc. Seventh conference of agricultural development research, Cairo, Egypt, 15-17 December 1998. Volume 3.
- Tantawi, B. A. and Ghanem, S. A. (2001). Water use efficiency in rice culture.Agricultural Research Center, Giza (Egypt). CIHM-Optin. Mediterraneennes. 40: 39-45.
- Taylor, H. M. and Burnett, E. (1964). Influence of soil strength on the root growth habits of the plants. Soil Sci. 98: 174-180.
- Terashima, K., Taniguchi, T., Ogiwara, H. and Umemoto, T. (2003a). Effects of irrigation management on lodging tolerance and yield of directly seeded rice. Japanese J. Crop Sci.72:275-281.
- Terashima, K., Taniguchi, T., Ogiwara, H. and Umemoto, T. (2003b). Effects of field drainage on root lodging tolerance in direct-sown rice in flooded paddy field. Plant Production Sci. 6:255-261.
- Thangaraj, M., Toole, J. C. O. and De Datta, S. K. (1990). Root response to water stress in rainfed lowland rice. Expl. Agric. 26: 287-296.
- Van Ouwerkerk and Raats, P. A. C. (1986). Experience with deep tillage in the Netherlands. Soil Till. Res. 7: 273-283.
- Wang, H. Q., Bouman, B.A.M., Zhao, D. L., Wang, C. and Moya, P. F.( 2002). Aerobic rice in northern China: opportunities and challenges. In:Bouman BAM, Hengsdijk H, Hardy B, Bindraban PS, Tuong TP, Ladha JK (Eds.). Proc International Workshop on Water-wise Rice Production, 8–11 April 2002. Pp. 143–154. International Rice Research Institute, Los Banos, Philippines.
- Wang, S. H., Cao, W. X., Ding, Y. F., Tian, Y.C. and Jiang, D. (2004). Interactions of water management and nitrogen fertilizer on nitrogen absorption and utilization in rice. Scientia Agricultura Sinica. 37:497-501.
- Yadav, S., Gill, G., Humphreys, E., Kukal, S. S. and Walia, U. S. (2011a). Effect of water management on dry direct seeded rice and puddled transplanted rice Part 1: Crop performance. Field Crops Res. 120: 112-122.
- Yadav, S., Gill,G., Humphreys, E., Kukal, S. S., Walia, U. S. (2011b). Effect of water management on dry direct seeded rice and puddled transplanted rice Part 2: Water balance and water productivity. Field Crops Res. 120: 123-132.
- Yambo, E. B. and Ingram, K. T. (1988). Rice sensitivity to water deficit at different growth stages. Inter. Rice Res. Newsletter. 13: 16-17.
- Yoshida, S., Satake, T. and Mackill, D. (1981). High-temperature stress in rice. IRRI Res. Pap. Ser. 67: 1–15.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.