Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Use of indigenous sources of sulphur in soils of eastern India for higher crops yield and quality- A review
First Online 30-04-2016|
Sulphur is the fourth most important nutrient after nitrogen, phosphorus and zinc for Indian Agriculture. Large quantities of indigenous S sources such as mined gypsum, pyrite and by-product phosphogypsum are available in the country. Research efforts have been directed to evaluate suitability of these indigenous S sources as sulphur fertilizer in soils and crops of eastern India. The magnitude of S deficiency widely differed in soils of eastern states. Among different crops oilseeds were found more responsive to S application than pulses and cereals. The dose of most of the crops ranged between 20 to 60 kg ha-1 except sugarcane which profitably responded at 80 kg ha-1. Basal soil application of gypsum and phosphogypsum were found to be superior than that of pyrites. However, pyrites resulted in higher crop response on residual sulphur in various cropping systems. In addition to yield, application of S improved the quality of crop produce also. Protein content in cereals and pulses, oil content in oil seeds and sugar content in sugarcane were appreciably increased due to S application. Replenishment of sulphur in soil can be made through the use of indigenous sources of sulphur for achieving higher crops yield and quality in eastern states of India.
- Ankineedu, G. (1983).Advances in fertilizer management for rainfed oilseeds. Fertilizer News 28: 76-90, 105.
- Awasthi, U.S. and Shaha, S.K. (1998). Supply and availability of sulphur fertilizers in India. Proc. TSI. FAI, Symp. Sulphur in Indian Agriculture, New Delhi IV/3/2-11.
- Barbora, A.C. (1955). Sulphur management for tea in Northeastern India, In : Sulphur in Agriculture 19: 9-15.
- Bhattacharya, B.K. and De, Manisha. (1997). Response of rice to sulphur in Orissa. Fertilizer News, 42 :19-20.
- Chattopadhyay, S and Ghosh, G.K. (2006). Sulphur status in red and lateritic soils of Birbhum district of West Bengal. Indian Journal of fertilizers. 2: 35-38.
- FAI.1992-93. Fertilizer statistics Ferilizer Association of India, New Delhi.
- Maurya, B.R; Kauaujia, B.L and Chauhan, R.P.S. (1992). Effect of time and rates of Pyrites application on wheat yield. Narendra. Deva. Journal of Agricultural Research. 7: 175-176.
- Mandal, B.K. and Chatterjee, B. N. (1990). Effects of sulphates and chlorides of nutrient elements on crop productivity under rice- groundnut sequence. Proc. Int. Symp. Rice Research. DRR, Hyderabad.
- Mishra, U.K. Sahu, S.K. Das, R and Mitra, G.N. (1990). Effect of sulphur and lime on yield and oil content of Kharif groundnut. Journal of the Indian Society of Soil Science, 38:772-774.
- Mishra, U.K.(1995). Soil sulphur deficiencies and crop responses to sulphur in Orissa, In:Sulphur in Agriculture 19: 16-20.
- Mukhopadhyay, A..K and Mukhopadhyay, P. (1995). An over view of sulphur research in soils of West Bengal, India. Sulphur in Agriculture 9: 30-34.
- Patgiri,D.K.(1995).Effect of boron, sulphur and molybdenum on toria in a typic Haplaquept. Journal of Indian Society of Soil Science 43: 295-296.
- Rohtagi, B.B.; Saxsena, S.K. and Singh, R. (1977).Availability of quality gypsum from indigenous source as a soil amendment. Proc. FCI-FAI (NR) Seminar on use of gypsum in reclamation of alkali soils, Lucknow, 37-55.
- Sakal, R., Singh, A.P., Sinha, R.B. and Bhogal, N.S. (1995-96). Annual progress report of Ad-hoc scheme on sulphur research in soils and crops of Bihar, sponsored by TSI-FDCO, New Delhi, Department of Soil Science, RAU, Pusa, Bihar.
- Sakal, R. (1995). Soil sulphur deficiencies and crop responses to sulphur in Bihar, India. Sulphur in Agriculture, 19 : 26-29.
- Sakal, R and Singh, A. P. (1997).Sulphur in balanced fertilization in eastern India, symposium on sulphur in balanced fertilization, Feb, 13-14, New Delhi page S1-2/4.
- Sakal, R., Singh, A. P., Sinha, R.B. and Bhogal, N.S. (1999). Impact of sulphur fertilization in sustaining the productivity of rice-wheat cropping system. Fertilizer News 44: 49-52.
- Sakal, R., Singh, A.P., Singh, R.B. and Bhogal, G.S. (1996). Research Bulletin on Twenty five years of research on micro and secondary nutrients in soils and crops of Bihar, Deptt of soil science, RAU, Pusa, Samastipur, Bihar,1-98..
- Sarkar, A.K. and Singh, Surendra .(2003).Crop response of secondary and micronutrients in acidic soils of India. Fertilizer News .48: 47-54.
- Sahu, S.K. and Nanda, S.K.(1997). Response of rice to sulphur in Orissa. Fertilizer News, 42: 19-20.
- Sahu, S.K. and Nayak, S.C. (1999-2000). Annual progress report, AICRP, micro and secondary nutrients and pollutant elements in soils and plant, OUAT, Bhubneswar.
- Singh, S. K., Prasad, A.N., Singh, S and Singh, B. (1989). Economic appraisal of iron pyrites as a source of sulphur fertilizer in gram. Proc. National Seminar “Sulphur in Agriculture” UAS, Banglore. Page 147-153.
- Singh, B., Singh, Surendra and Singh, A.P. (1985) Low grade pyrites on mustard crop in normal soil. Agricultural Research Rural Development, 8: 26-28.
- Singh, B., Singh, Surendra and Singh, A.P. (1989). Effects of small doses of pyrites on yield and quality of groundnut and mustard grown in rotation. Agricultural Science Digest, 9:57-61.
- Singh, K.P, Singh Surendra, Sarkar, A. K., Singh, R. P. and Kumar Arvind.(1996). Status and response of sulphur and micronutrients in soils of Bihar plateau for higher crop productivity. Fertilizer.News. 4: 41-47..
- Singh, R. N., Singh, Surendra and Kumar, Binod. (2006). Interaction effect of sulphur and boron on yield, nutrient uptake and quality characters of soybean grown in acidic upland. Journal of the Indian Society of Soil Science.54: 516-518.
- Singh, Surendra.,Singh, A.P. and Singh, B. (1991). Direct and residual effect of pyrites on yield, sulphur content and quality characters of groundnut and mustard. Journal of the Indian Society of Soil Science.39: 328- 331.
- Singh, Surendra., Singh, A.P. and Singh, B. (1992). Direct and residual effect of pyrites on yield, protein content and Suptake by blackgram and lentil in entisol. Journal of the Indian Society of Soil Science. 40: 584-585.
- Singh, Surendra and Singh, K.P. (1996). Effect of gypsum on yield, oil content and uptake of Ca and S by groundnut grown on an acid Alfisol of Ranchi. Journal of the Indian Society of Soil Science.44: 695-697.
- Singh, Surendra., Singh, K.P. Singh, S.K and Kumar , Gautam. (1998). Response of blackgram to sulphur on acid Alfisol of Bihar plateau. Journal of the Indian Society of Soil Science.46: 257-260.
- Singh, Surendra., Singh, K.P., Sarkar, A.K. and Singh, S.K. (1998). Response of Indian mustard and blackgram grown in rotation to sulphur fertilization in scid soil. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 68: 341-343.
- Singh, Surendra., Singh, K.P. and Sarkar, A.K. (1998). Effect of sulphur on yield, protein content and S uptake by lentil in acid soil. Journal of research (BAU), 10: 131-134..
- Singh, Surendra, Sarkar, A.K., and Singh, K.P. (2000). Sulphur research in soils and crops of Bihar plateau. SSAC (BAU) Res. Bull No. 1/2000.
- Singh, Surendra, Sarkar, A.K., Singh, B.P and Singh, R.N. (2003).Plant status and response of niger to sulphur in acid soils of Jharkhand Fertilizer news, 48: 57-58&61.
- Singh, Surendra. (2008). Effect of sulphur on yields and Suptake by onion and garlic grown in acid Alfisol of Ranchi, Agricultural Science Digest. 28: 189-191.
- Singh, Surendra. (2011). Effect of sulphur on yields of cowpea (Vigina sinesis ) and frenchbean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) as influenced by applied sulphur in acidic upland soils of Ranchi. Vegetable Science , 38: 95-97.
- Tiwari, K. N. (1989). Sulphur research and agricultural production in U.P. Bulletin, CSAUT, Kanpur, pp.46.
- Tiwari, K. N. (1990).Sulphur research and agriculture production in U.P. Sulphur in Agriculture, 14: 29-34.
- Tiwari, R.C., Singh, S.K. and Pandey, D.K. (1992). Influence of sulphur application on yield and chemical composition of some crops. Fertilizer News, 27: 23-26.
- Tiwari, R.C. (1995). Soil sulphur status and crop responses to sulphur application in eastern Uttar Pradesh.
- Tiwari, R.C., Sanjay Kumar and Das Debiprasad. (2003). Sulphur status of soil and crops and response of crops to dose and sources of sulphur in eastern uttar Pradesh. Fertilizer News , 48: 35-38 &41-42.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.