Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Agronomy of sugarbeet cultivation-A review
First Online 28-09-2015|
- Abdollahian-Noghabi, M. (1999). Ecophysiology of sugar beet cultivars and weed species subjected to water deficiency stress. Ph.D. Dissertation, pp: 227. University of Reading, U.K..
- Abo-Shady Kh, A., Hilal, S. M. M., El-Sheref, E. El. M. and Ibrahim, M. F. M. (2010). Yield and quality of subarbeet crop as affected by irrigation interval, cultivars and potassium fertilization in north delta. J. Agric. Res. Kafer. El- Sheikh. Univ. 36: 361-76.
- Ahmad, S., Zubair, M., Iqbal, N., Cheema, N. M. and Mahmood, K. (2012). Evaluation of sugar beet hybrid varieties under Thal-Kumbi soil series of Pakistan. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 14: 605–608.
- Ahmad, Z., Shah, P, Kakar. K. M., El-Sharkawi, H., Gama, P. B. S., Khan, E. A., Honna, T. and Yamamoto, S. (2010). Sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.) response to different planting methods and row geometries II: Effect on plant growth and quality. J. Food Agric. & Environ. 8: 785-91.
- Amin, M., Khan, A. and Khan, D. (1989). Effect of date of sowing on yield and quality of sugarbeets. Pakistan J. Agric. Res. 10 (1): 30-33.
- Anonymous (2013). Hand Book of Agriculture (Published by Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi – 110 012).
- Ash, G. H. B., Blatta, D. A., Mitchell, B. A., Davies. B., Shaykewich, C. F., Wilson, J. L. and Raddatz, R. L. (1999). Agricultural climate of Manitoba. http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/climate/waa50s00.html
- Awad, N. M. M., Sahar, F., Tawfik and Sahar, M. I. (2012). Effect of plowing depth, sowing method and nitrogen fertilization on yield and quality of sugar beet. J. Agric. Res. Kafr. El-Sheikh Univ. 38 (4): 458-70.
- Balakrishnan, A. and Selvakumar, T. (2008). Integrated nitrogen management for tropical sugarbeet hybrids. Sugar Tech. 10 (2): 177-180.
- Barik, S. (2003). Role of Potassium and nitrogen on sugar concentration of sugarbeet. African crop sci. journal. 11(4) 259-68.
- Bellin, D., Schutz, B., Soerensen, T. R., Salamini, F. and Schneider, K. (2007). Transcript profiles at different stages and tap-root zone identity correlated developmental and metabolic pathway of sugar beet. Journal of experimental botany. 58 (3): 699-715.
- Besheit, S. Y., Mekki, B. B. and Beshay, M. G. (1996). Effect of different levels of water supply on sugar beet yield and quality in calcareous soils. J. Agric. Sci. Mansoura Univ. 21: 3429-36.
- Bhullar, M. S., Uppal, S. K. and Kapur, M. L. (2009). Effect of agronomic practices and varieties on productivity of sugarbeet (Beta vulgaris L.) in semi-arid region of Punjab. J. Res. Punjab agric. Univ. 46: 6-8.
- Bhullar,Â M. S.,Â Uppal,Â S. K. andÂ Kapur,Â M. L. (2010). Influence of planting density and nitrogen dose on root and sugar yield of beet (Beta vulgaris L.) under sub-tropical semi-arid conditions of Punjab. J. Res. Punjab agric. Univ. 47:14-7.
- Campbell, L. G. and Enz, J. W. (1991). Temperature effects on sugarbeet seedling emergence. Journal of Sugar Beet Research .28 (3 & 4): 129-140.
- Copeland, L. O. and McDonald, M. B. (2001). Seed Science and Technology. Norwell, Massachusetts: Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, pp.72–124
- Draycott, A. P. and Christenson, D. R. (2003). Nutrients for Sugar Beet Production: Soil-Plant Relationships. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, UK.
- Dubas, A., Pudelko, J. and Luczkiewicz, T. (1970). Nitrogen fertilizing of sugar beets at different doses of farmyard manure. Rocznik nauk rolniczych. Seria A Roslinne. 96 (2): 225-45.
- Dutton, J. and Bowler, G. (1984). Money is still being wasted on nitrogen fertilizer. British Sugar Beet Review. 52 (4): 75-77.
- El-Kassaby, A. T. and Leilah, A. A. (1992). Influence of plant density and nitrogen fertilizer levels on sugar beet productivity. Proc 5thConf. Agron., Zagazig, 13-15 Sept., Vol. (2): 954 - 62.
- El-Maghraby, S. S., Gomaa, M. A., Rehab, I. F. and Hassan, H. M. (2008). Response of sugar beet to some mechanical management practices, irrigation and plant densities. Sugar Tech. 10: 219-26.
- El-Sarag, E. I. (2009). Maximizing sugar beet yield, quality and water use efficiency using some agriculture practice under North Sinai conditions. Bull. Fac. Agric. Cairo. Univ. 60: 2-13.
- Follet, R. H., Schmehl, E. R., Powers, L. and Payne, M. G. (1964). Effect of genetic population and soil fertility level on the chemical composition of sugar beet tops. Tech. Bull. Colombia Agric. Expt. Stat. 28: 32.
- Freckleton, R. P., Watkinson, A. R., Webb, D. J. and Thomas, T. H. (1999). Yield of sugar beet in relation to weather and nutrients. Agric. Forest Meteorology. 93: 39-51.
- Garg,Â V. K. andÂ Srivastava,Â S. C. (1985). Evaluation of techniques suitable for growing sugar beet on sodic soils. J. Indian Soc. of Soil Sci. 33: 884-87.
- Ghonema, M. H. (1998). Effect of plating dates and harvesting time on yield, yield components and quality of sugar beet (Beta vulgaris, L.). J. Agric. Sci. Mansoura Univ. 23(7): 2971- 2979.
- Gupta, R., Singh, P. R. and Singh, A. K. (2013). Optimizing irrigation water and land need for sugar production through intercropping sugarbeet in autumn planted sugarcane. Souvenir- IISR-Industry Interface on Research and Development Initiatives for Sugarbeet in India, 28-29 May, Sugarbeet Breeding Outpost of IISR IVRI Campus, Mukteswar-263138, Nainital,. Organised by Indian Institute of Sugarcane Research (ICAR) and Association of Sugarcane Technologists of India. pp 51-52.
- Hassanli, A. M., Ahmadirad, S. and Beecham, S. (2010). Evaluation of the influence of irrigation methods and water quality on sugar beet yield and water use efficiency. Agri. Water Manage. 97: 357-62.
- Hozayn, M., Tawfik, M. M., Abd El-Ghany, H. M. and Korayem, A. M. (2013). Effect of plant density on yield and sugar quality characteristics of sugar beet. J. Appl. Sci. Res. 9: 1004-09.
- Ismail, A. M. A. and Allam, S. M. (2007). Yield and technological traits of sugar beet as affected by planting density, phosphorus and potassium fertilization. Proc. The 3rd Conf. of Sustain. Agric. Develop. Fac. Agric. Fayoum. Univ., pp: 15-28.
- Isoda, A., Konishi, H. and Wang, P. (2007). Effect of different irrigation methods on yield and water use efficiency of sugar beet (Beta vulgaris) in the arid area of China. Hort, Research Chiba University (Japan). 61: 7-10.
- Kemp, P. D., Khani, A. M. and Millner, J. P. (1994). The effect of plant population and nitrogen level on sugar yield and juice purity of sugar beet (Beta vulgaris, L.). Proc. Annual Conf. Agron. Soci. of New Zealand. 24: 131-134.
- Khan, A. A. (1992). Pre-plant physiological seed conditioning. Horticultural Reviews. 13: 131–166.
- Khan, M. (2013). Sugarbeet production guide. NDSU Extension Service, North Dakota State University of Agriculture and Applied Science, and U.S. Department of Agriculture cooperating. Duane Hauck, Director, Fargo, North Dakota pp: 9.
- Kulkarni, V. N., Rana, D. K. and Wielandt, N. (2013). Sugar beet a potential new crop for sugar and ethanol production in India. Souvenir- IISR-Industry Interface on Research and Development Initiatives for Sugarbeet in India, 28-29 May, Sugarbeet Breeding Outpost of IISR IVRI Campus, Mukteswar-263138, Nainital. Organised by Indian Institute of Sugarcane Research (ICAR) and Association of Sugarcane Technologists of India. pp 58-62.
- Kumar, R. and Pathak, A. D. (2013). Recent trend of sugarbeet in world. Souvenir- IISR-Industry Interface on Research and Development Initiatives for Sugarbeet in India, 28-29 May, Sugarbeet Breeding Outpost of IISR IVRI Campus, Mukteswar-263138, Nainital. Organised by Indian Institute of Sugarcane Research (ICAR) and Association of Sugarcane Technologists of India. pp 46-47.
- Kumar, V. (1993). Effect of irrigation on yield, sucrose content and impurity levels of sugarbeet crop. J. Indian Soc. of Soil Sci. 41: 26- 8.
- Leilah, A. A. and Nasr, S. M. (1992).: The contribution of sowing and harvesting dates on yield and quality of some sugar beet cultivars. Proc. 5th Conf. Agron. Zagazig, 13 - 15 Sept., Vol (2): 970 - 979.
- Leilah, A. A., Badawi, M. A., Said, E. M., Ghonema, M. H. and Abdou, M. A. E. (2005). Effect of planting dates, plant population and nitrogen fertilization on sugar beet productivity under the newly reclaimed sandy soil in Egypt. Scientific Journal of King Faisal University (Basic and Applied Sciences). 6: 85-110.
- Lopez, B. L., Castillo, J. E. and Fuentes, M. (1994). Nitrogen uptake by autumn sown sugar beet. Fertilizer Res. 38 (2): 101-109.
- Maidl, F. X., and Fischbeck, G. (1989). Effect of Long-term Application of Farmyard Manure on Growth and Quality of Sugar Beet. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science. 162 (4): 248–255.
- Masri, M. I. (2008). Effect of nitrogen level and planting density on sugar beet yield and its attributes. Egypt J. Agron. 30: 119-36.
- Metcalfe, D. S. and Elkins, D. M. (1980). Sugar crops: In “Crop production: Principle and PracticesI”. Mac Milan Company, New York, pp 511-27.
- Narang, R. S. and Bains, B. S. (1987). Techniques for planting sugarbeet to advance the harvest date in North Indian Conditions. Exp. Agri. 23: 99-103.
- Nassar, A. M. (2001). Effect of plant density on the productivity of some sugar beet varieties. J. Agric. Sci. Mansoura Univ. 26: 7533-46.
- Norton, J. B. (2011). Nitrogen source, timing, and rate alternatives for furrow-irrigated sugarbeet. Online. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2011-0829-01-RS.
- Oad, F. C., Burrio, U. A. and Agha, S. K. (2004). Effect of organic and inorganic fertilizer application on maize fodder production. Asian J. Pl. Sci. 3: 375-77.
- Petkeviciene, B. (2009). The effects of climate factors on sugar beet early sowing timing. Agron. Res. 7: 436–43.
- Radivojevic, S., Kabic, D., Filipovic, V., Jacimovic, G. (2013). Yield And Technological Quality Of Modern Sugar Beet Varieties in the Republic of Serbia. Food and Feed Research. 40: 53-58.
- Ramazan, C. (2002). Root yield and quality of sugarbeet in relation to sowing date, plant population and harvesting date interactions. Turk. J. Agric. 26: 133-39.
- Refay, Y. A. (2010). Root Yield and Quality Traits of Three Sugar Beet (Beta vulgaris L.) Varieties in Relation to Sowing Date and Stand Densities. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 6 (5): 589-594.
- Ririe, D. and Hills, F. J. (1970). Effects of row covering materials and depth of planting on sugarbeet emergence. Journal of the American Society of Sugar Beet Technologists. 16: 168-71.
- Romaneckas, K., Pilipavicius, V., Sarauskis, E. and Sakalauskas, A. (2009). Effect of sowing depth on emergence and crop establishment of sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.). Food Agriculture and Environment (JFAE). 7: 571-75.
- Sadre, P., Soleymani, A. and Javanmard, H. R. (2012). Root yield and quality traits of sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.) in relation to nitrogen fertilizer and plant density in isfahan region. Intl. J. Agri. Crop Sci. 4: 1504-07.
- Seadh, S. E., Attia, A. N., Said, E. M., EL-Maghrabby, S. S. and Ibrahim, M. E. M. (2013). Productivity and quality of sugarbeet as affected by sowing methods, weed control treatments and N fertilizer levels. Pakistan J. of Biological Sciences. 16:711-19.
- Seadh, S. E. (2004). Effect of planting dates, biofertilization treatments, nitrogen and potassium fertilizer levels as well as their interactions on growth, yield and yield components as well as quality of sugar beet (Beta vulgaris var. altissima, L.) cv. Beta Poly 4. Ph. D. Thesis, in Agron., Fac. of Agric., Mansoura Univ.
- Seadh, S. E., Farouk, S. & EL-abady, M. I. (2007). Response of sugar beet to potassium sulfate under nitrogen fertilizer levels in newly reclaimed soils conditions. African Crop Science Conference Proceedings. 8: 147-153 Printed in El-Minia, Egypt ISSN 1023-070X/2007$ 4.00 © 2007, African Crop Science Society.
- Shrivastava, A. K. (2006). Sugarcane at a Glance, IBDC, Lucknow, Pp. 246.
- Shrivastava, A. K., Sawnani, A., Shukla, S. P. and Solomon, S. (2013). Unique features of sugarbeet and its comparison with sugarcane. Souvenir- IISR-Industry Interface on Research and Development Initiatives for Sugarbeet in India, 28-29 May, Sugarbeet Breeding Outpost of IISR IVRI Campus, Mukteswar-263138, Nainital. Organised by Indian Institute of Sugarcane Research (ICAR) and Association of Sugarcane Technologists of India. pp 36-39.
- Shrivastava, A. K., Shukla, S. P. and Sawnani, A. (2013). Useful products from sugarbeet. Souvenir- IISR-Industry Interface on Research and Development Initiatives for Sugarbeet in India, 28-29 May, Sugarbeet Breeding Outpost of IISR IVRI Campus, Mukteswar-263138, Nainital. Organised by Indian Institute of Sugarcane Research (ICAR) and Association of Sugarcane Technologists of India. pp 43-45.
- Shukla, S. K. and Awasthi, S. K. (2013). Sugarbeet: A supplement to sugarcane in non-traditional areas to meet future sugar demand. Souvenir- IISR-Industry Interface on Research and Development Initiatives for Sugarbeet in India, 28-29 May, Sugarbeet Breeding Outpost of IISR IVRI Campus, Mukteswar-263138, Nainital. Organised by Indian Institute of Sugarcane Research (ICAR) and Association of Sugarcane Technologists of India. pp 55-57.
- Singh, R. K., Sharma, A. K., Singh, R. K. and Prakash, B. (2013). Problems and prospects of sugarbeet cultivation as fodder crop in subtropical India. Souvenir- IISR-Industry Interface on Research and Development Initiatives for Sugarbeet in India, 28-29 May, Sugarbeet Breeding Outpost of IISR IVRI Campus, Mukteswar-263138, Nainital. Organised by Indian Institute of Sugarcane Research (ICAR) and Association of Sugarcane Technologists of India. pp 53-54.
- Sogut, T. and Arioglu, H. (2004). Plant density and sowing date effects on Sugarbeet yield and quality. J.Agron. 3: 215-18.
- Sohier, M. M. and Ouda. (2001). Response of sugar beet to N and K fertilizers levels under sandy soil conditions. Zagazig J. Agric. Res. 28(2): 275-297.
- Spaar, D., Dreger, D. and Zacharenko, A. (2004). Sugar beet. CUP „Orech”, Minsk, pp. 133– 135 (in Russian).
- Sroller, I. and Svachula, V. (1990). Influence of weather on the production and quality of sugar beets. In Baier, J., Bures, R., Coufal, V. I. et.al.: Weather and production. Agropromizdat, Maskva, pp. 247–269 (in Russian).
- Theurer, J. C. and Saunders, J. W. (1995). Row spacing and plant density Effects on smooth root sugarbeets. J. Sugar Beet Res. 32: 69-78.
- Ulrich, A. (1952). The influence of temperature and light factors on the growth and development of sugar beets in controlled conditions. Agro. J. 44: 66–73.
- Wyse, R. E. and. Dexter, S. T. (1971). Effect of agronomic and storage practices on raffinose, reducing sugar, and amino acid content of sugarbeet varieties. J. of the A.S.S.B.T. J. 6 : 369-83.
- Yonts, C. D., Smith, J. A. and. Wilson, R. G. (1999). Effect of seed type, planter type and depth of planting on sugarbeet emergence. Journal of Sugar Beet Research. 36: 1-9.
- Yu-ying, L. and Hong, L. (1997). Effects of potassium fertilizers on sugar beet yield and quality. Better Crops International. 11: 24-25.
- Zahoor, A., Faridullah, Paigham, S., Sanaullah, B., Kakar, K. M., Haytham El-Sharkawi, Honna, T. and Yamamoto, Y. (2007). Sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.) response to different planting methods and row geometries I: Effect on plant growth and yield. Arch.. Agron.. Soil Sci.s 53:49-61.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.