Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Role of leptin in physiology of animal reproduction-A review
First Online 28-09-2015|
- Amstalden, M., Garcia, M.R., Stanko, R.L. Nizielski, S.E. Morrison, C.D. Keisler D.H. and Williams, G.L. (2002). Central infusion of recombinant ovine leptin normalizes plasma insulin and stimulates a novel hypersecretion of luteinizing hormone after short-term fasting in mature beef cows. Biology of Reproduction, 66: 1555–1561.
- Ashworth, C.J., Hoggard, N. Thomas, L. Mercer, J.G. Wallace, J.M. and Lea, R.G. (2000). Placental leptin. Review of Reproduction, 5: 18–24.
- Cardoso, R.C.,Â Alves, B.R.Â Prezotto, L.D.Â Thorson, J.F. Tedeschi, L.O.Â Keisler, D.H.Â Amstalden, M.Â Williams, G.L. (2014). Reciprocal changes in leptin and NPY during nutritional acceleration of puberty in heifers. J Endocrinol.Â 223: 289-98.
- Cheung, C.C., Thornton, J.E. Nurani, S.D. Clifton, D,K. and Steiner, R.A. (2001). A reassessment of leptin’s role in triggering the onset of puberty in the rat and mouse. Neuroendocrinology, 74: 12–21.
- Engl, N (2012). Pregnancy in a Woman with a Leptin-Receptor Mutation. Journal Of Meditional Chemistry., 366: 1064-1065.
- Forhead, A.J. and Fowden, A.L. (2009). The hungry fetus? Role of leptin as a nutritional signal before birth. J. Physiol., 587: 1145–1152.
- Galvão, A., Tramontano, A. Rebordão, M.R. Amaral, A. Bravo, P.P. Szóstek, A. Skarzynski, D. Mollo A. and Ferreira- Dias, G. (2014). Opposing Roles of Leptin and Ghrelin in the Equine Corpus Luteum Regulation: An In Vitro Study. Mediators of Inflammation. 2014:
- Gambino, Y.P., Maymo, J.L. Perez-Perez, A. Duenas, J.L. Sanchez-Margalet, V. Calvo J.C. and Varone C.L. (2010). 17Beta- estradiol enhances leptin expression in human placental cells through genomic and nongenomic actions. Biology of Reproduction, 83: 42–51.
- Garcia, M.R., Amstalden, M. Williams, S.W. Stanko, R.L. Morrison, C.D. Keisler, D.H. Nizielski S.E. and Williams G.L. (2002). Serum leptin and its adipose gene expression during pubertal development, the estrous cycle and different seasons in cattle. Journal of Animal Science, 80: 2158–2167.
- Gentry, G.T., Gentry L.R. and Godke, R.A. (2013). The effect of exogenous follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and endogenous plasma leptin concentrations on the pregnancy rate of beef heifers subjected to fixed-timed artificial insemination. Online URL:http://www.animalreproductionscience.com
- Gnessi, L. (1997). Gonadal peptide as mediator of development and functional control of the testis: an integrated system with hormones and environment. Endocr. Rev., 18: 541-609.
- Henson, M.C. and Castracane, V.D. (2006). Leptin in Pregnancy: An Update. Biology of Reproduction, 74: 218–229.
- Herrid, M., Palanisamy, S.K.A. Ciller, U.A. Fan, R. Moens, P. Smart N.A. and Mcfarlane J.R. (2014). An Updated View of Leptin on Implantation and Pregnancy: A Review. Physiological Research, 63: 543-557.
- Iqbal, J., Pompolo, S. Considine R.V. and Clarke, I.J. (2000). Localization of leptin receptor like immunoreactivity in the corticotropes, somatotropes, and gonadotropes in the ovine anterior pituitary. Endocrinology, 141: 1515-20.
- Khan, S.M., Hamnvik, O.P. Brinkoetter M. and Mantzoros, C.S. (2012). Leptin as a modulator of neuroendocrine function in humans. Yonsei Medical Journal. 53: 671- 679.
- Kumar, L., Panda, R.P. Hyder, I. Yadav, Y.P. Sastry, K.V.H. Sharma, G.T.Â Mahapatra, R.K. Bag, S. Bhure, S.K. Das, G.K. Mitra A. and Sarkar, M. (2012). Expression of leptin and its receptor in corpus luteum during estrous cycle in buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). Animal Reproduction Science, 135: 8-17.
- Lin, J., Barb, C.R. Matteri, R.L. Kraeling, R.R. Chen, X. Meinersmann R.J. and Rampacek, G.B. (2000). Long form leptin receptor mRNA expression in the brain, pituitary, and other tissues in the pig. DomestIc Animal Endocrinology, 19: 53–61.
- Matsumoto, Y., O’Gorman, C.W. Gonzales, E. Keisler, D.H. Stanko R.L. and Garcia, M.R. (2006). Effects of development, the estrous cycle and 17b -estradiol on adipocyte leptin, ERa and ERb gene expression in gilts. J.Anim. Vet. 5: 762–770.
- Maymo, J.L., PerezPerez, A. Duenas, J.L. Calvo, J.C. Sanchez-Margalet V. and Varone, C.L. (2010). Regulation of placental leptin expression by cyclic adenosine 50-monophosphate involves cross talk between protein kinase A and mitogen- activated protein kinase signaling pathways. Endocrinology. 151: 3738–3751.
- Moreira, F.Affiliations, Corcini, C.D. Mondadori, R.G.Â Gevehr-Fernandes, C. Mendes, F.F. Araújo, E.G. and Lucia, T. (2013). Leptin and mitogen-activated protein kinase in oocytes of sows and gilts. Online URL:http://www.ejog.org
- Munoz-Gutierrez, M., Findlay, P.A. Adam, C.L. Wax, G. Campbell, B.K. Kendall, N.R. Khalid, M. Forsberg M. and Scaramuzzi R.J. (2005). The ovarian expression of mRNAs for aromatase, IGF-I receptor, IGF-binding protein-2, -4 and -5, leptin and leptin receptor in cycling ewes after three days of leptin infusion. Reproduction 130: 869–881.
- Qi, W., Benjamin B.W. and Palmiter, D.R. (2011). Ablation of neurons expressing agouti-related protein,but not melanin concentrating hormone, in leptin deficient mice restores metabolic functions and fertility.
- Schubring, C., Kiess, W. Rascher, P. Englaro, W. Dotsch, J. Hanitsch, S. Attanasio A. and Blum, W.F. (1997).Levels of leptin in maternal serum, amniotic fluid, and arterial and venous cord blood: relation to neonatal and placental weight. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 82: 1480–1483.
- Seth,A., Stanley, S. Jethwa, P. Gardiner, J. Ghatei M. and Bloom, S. (2004). Galanin-like peptide stimulates the release of gonadotropin-releasing hormone in vitro and may mediate the effect of leptin on the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis. Endocrinology, 145: 743–750.
- Smolinska, N., Kaminski, T. Siawrys G. and Przala, J. (2010). Leptin gene andprotein expression in the ovary during the oestrous cycle and earlypregnancy in pigs. Reprod. Domest. Anim. 45: 174–e183.
- Spicer, L.J. and Francisco, C.C. (1998). Adipose obese gene product, leptin, inhibits bovine ovarian thecal cell steroidogenesis. Biology of Reproduction, 58 :207–212.
- Sullivan, S.D., DeFazio, R.A. and Moenter, S.M. (2003). Metabolic regulation of fertility through presynaptic and postsynaptic signaling to gonadotropin-releasing hormone neurons. Journal of Nueroscience, 23: 8578–8585.
- Watanobe, H. (2002). Leptin directly acts within the hypothalamus to stimulate gonadotropin releasing hormone secretion in vivo in rats. Journal of Physiology, 545: 255–268.
- Yanagihara, N., Utsunomiya, K. Cheah, T.B. Hirano, H. Kajiwara, K. Hara, K. Nakamura, E. Toyohira, Y. Uezono, Y. Ueno S. and Izumi, F. (2000). Characterization and functional role of leptin receptor in bovine adrenal medullary cells. Biochem. Pharmac., 59: 1141-1145.
- Zhang, Y., Proenca R. and Maffei, M. (1994). Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologue. Nature, 372: 425-432.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.