Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Functional properties of grape (Vitis vinifera) seed extract and possible extraction techniques - A review
First Online 29-12-2015|
Grape (Vitis vinifera) member of family vitaceae, is an excellent source of phenolics, particulary in the skin and seeds. Phenolic compounds have attracted much interest recently, because they are potent antioxidant and exhibit various other physiological activities including anticarcinogenic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antihypertensive activities associated with reduced risk of chronic diseases like cardiovascular diseases. The method of processing and extraction play a vital role in the quality of nutraceuticals extracted. The traditional extraction techniques are time-consuming and require relatively large quantities of solvents. In view of increased awareness for health related compounds from plant materials, there is an increasing demand for better extraction techniques which are nontoxic, environmentally safe and inexpensive. This review paper discusses briefly on grape phenolics, important nutraceuticals extracted from grape seeds and its positive health effects. The possibility of application of novel extraction methods like sonication assisted extraction, microwave assisted extraction techniques and supercritical fluid extractions for efficient extraction of plant are discussed.
- Agarwal, C., Veluri, R., Kaur, M., Chou, SC., Thompson, JA., Agarwal, R., (2007). Fractionation of high molecular weight tannins in grape seed extract and identification of procyanidin B2 – 3, 3’-di-O- gallalte as a major active constituent causing growth inhibition and apoptotic death of DUI 45 human prostate carcinoma cells, Carcinogenesis, 28: 1478 – 1484.
- Aldini, G., Carini, M., Piccoli, A., Rossoni, G., Facino, RM., (2003). Procyanidins from grape seeds protect endothelial cells from peroxynitrite damage and enhance endothelium-dependent relaxation in human artery: New evidences for cardio-protection, Life Sci, 73: 2883-2898.
- Anonymous., (2001). Antioxidant foodstuffs, Market view- Nikkei Bio-business, 11: 129–130.
- Ansari, K., Goodarznia, I., (2012). Optimization of supercritical carbon dioxide extraction of essential oil from spearmint (Mentha spicata L.) leaves by using Taguchi methodology, J Supercrit Fluids, 67: 123–130.
- Boussetta, N., Lanoisellé. JL., Bedel-Cloutour, C., Vorobiev, E., (2009). Extraction of soluble matter from grape pomace by high voltage electrical discharges for polyphenol recovery: Effect of sulphur dioxide and thermal treatments, J of Food Engineering, 95: 192–198.
- Castillo, J., Benavente-Garcia, O., Lorente, J., Alcaraz, M., Redondo, A., Ortuno, A., Del Rio, JA., (2000). Antioxidant activity and radioprotective effects against chromosomal damage induced in vivo by X-rays of flavan-3-ols (Procyanidins) from grape seeds (Vitis vinifera): comparative study versus other phenolic and organic compounds, J Agric Food Chem, 48:1738-1745.
- Dell Agli, M., Galli, GV., Vrhovsek, U., Mattivi, F., Bosisio, E., (2005). In vitro inhibition of human cGMP-specific phosphodiesterase-5 by polyphenols from red grapes, J of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 53: 1960–1965.
- Fanny, MR., Guang, HH., Louise, P., Stéphane, D., Chantale, B., Jalal, H., (2012). Microwave assisted extraction of lignin from triticale straw: Optimization and microwave effects, Bioresource Technology, 4:75–782.
- Girotra, P., Singh, SK., Nagpal, K., (2013). Supercritical fluid technology: a promising approach in pharmaceutical Research, Pharm Dev Technol, 18: 22–38.
- He, Z., Xia, W., (2011). Microwave-assisted extraction of phenolics from Canarium album L. and identification of the main phenolic compound, Nat Prod Res, 25:85-92.
- Heggers, JP., Cottingham, J., Gusman, J., and others (2002). The effectiveness of processed grapefruit-seed extract as an antibacterial agent: II, Mechanism of action and in vitro toxicity, J Altern Complement Med, 8: 333-340.
- Hongyan, L., Zeyuan, D., Tao, W., Ronghua, L., Steven, L., Rong, T., (2012). Microwave-assisted extraction of phenolics with maximal antioxidant activities in tomatoes, Food Chemistry, 130: 928–936.
- Jian, BJ., Xiang, HL., Mei, QC., Zhi, CX., (2006). Improvement of leaching process of Geniposide with ultrasound, Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 13:455-462.
- Kagliwal, LD., Pol, AS., Patil, SC., Singhal, RS., Patravale, VB., (2012). Antioxidant-rich extract from dehydrated seabuckthorn berries by supercritical carbon dioxide extraction, Food Bioproc Technol, 5:2768–2776.
- Kaur, M., Singh, RP., Gu, M., Agarwal, R., Agarwal, C., (2006). Grape seed extract inhibits in vitro and in vivo growth of human colorectal carcinoma cells, Clin Cancer Res, 12 :6194–202.
- Khanna, S., Roy, S., Bagchi, D., Bagchi, M., Sen, CK., (2001). Upregulation of oxidant-induced VEGF expression in cultured keratinocytes by a grape seed proanthocyanidin extract, Free Radic Biol Med, 31:38-42.
- Kiani, H., Sun, DW., Zhang, Z., (2012). The effect of ultrasound irradiation on the convective heat transfer rate during immersion cooling of a stationary sphere, Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 19:1238-1245.
- Kiani, H., Sun, DW., Zhang, Z., (2013). Effects of processing parameters on the convective heat transfer rate during ultrasound assisted low temperature immersion treatment of a stationary sphere, Journal of Food Engineering, 115:384–390.
- Laaksonen, DE., Lakka, HM., Niskanen, LK., (2002). Metabolic syndrome and development of diabetes mellitus: application and validation of recently suggested definitions of the metabolic syndrome in a prospective cohort study, Am J Epidemiol , 156:1070-7.
- Leifert WR, Abeywardena, MY., (2008). Cardioprotective actions of grape polyphenols, Nutr Res , 28: 729-37.
- Li, H., Xiaoyu Wang, Peihong Li, Yong Li , Hua Wang, (2008). Comparative Study of Antioxidant Activity of Grape (Vitis vinifera) Seed Powder Assessed by Different Methods, Journal of Food and Drug Analysis, 16:1-7.
- Liu, X., Zhao, M., Wang, J., Luo, W., (2009). Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Activity of Emblica Extracts Obtained by Supercritical Carbon Dioxide Extraction and Methanol Extraction, J Food Biochem, 33: 307–330.
- Liu, Y., Yin, JX., Zhao, MS., Yan, KM., Wang, HM., (2001). Food Oil, 10: 36.
- López, SR., Jiménez, R., Romero, M., (2008). Wine polyphenols improve endothelial function in large vessels of female spontaneously hypertensive rats, Hypertension, 51:1088-95.
- Luque-Rodr´ýgueza, JM., Luque de Castroa, MD., Perez-Juan´ b Talanta, P., (2005). Extraction of fatty acids from grape seed by super heated hexane, 68 :126–130.
- Malik, S., Wong, N.D., Franklin, S.S., (2004). Impact of the metabolic syndrome on mortality from coronary heart disease, cardiovascular disease and all causes in United States adults. Circulation, 110:1245-1250.
- Mann, TS., Babu, GDK., Guleria, S., Singh, B., (2013). Variation in the volatile oil composition of Eucalyptus citriodora produced by hydrodistillation and supercritical fluid extraction techniques, Nat Prod Res, 27:675–679.
- Miguel HJAM, Alejandro, C., Elena, I., (2010). Review Supercritical fluid extraction: Recent advances and applications, Journal of Chromatography, 1217: 2495–2511.
- Naik Ravindra, Kumar Mallikarjunan, Bargale, PC., (2012). Microwave Assisted extraction- Techniques and equipment. Appearing in Book entitled “Non thermal Non chemical Processing in Food System ( ISBN 978-81-909305-2-9). Editors Dipika Agrahar and Ravindra Naik. Publised by Director, Central Institute of Agricultural Engineering, Nabibagh, Bhopal Madhya Pradesh, Pp: 99-116.
- Omar, J., Olivares, M., Alzaga, M., (2013). Etxebarria N Optimisation and characterisation of marihuana extracts obtained by supercritical fluid extraction and focused ultrasound extraction and retention time locking GC-MS, J Sep Sci, 36: 1397–1404.
- Patrick, L., (2006). Lead toxicity, a review of the literature. Part 1: Exposure, evaluation and treatment, Alt Med Rev, 11: 2 -22.
- Peng, N., Clark, JT., Prasain, J., Kim, H., White, CR., Wyss, JM., (2005). Antihypertensive and cognitive effects of grape polyphenols in estrogen-depleted, female, spontaneously hypertensive rats, Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol, 289: R771-R775.
- Pimentel, F.A., Cardoso, M.D., Guimaraes, L.G., Queiroz, F.,Barbosa, L.C., Morais, A.R., Nelson, D.L., Andrade, M.A., Zacaroni, L.M. and Pimentel, S.M., (2013). Extracts from the leaves of Piper piscatorum (Trel. Yunc.) obtained by supercritical extraction of with CO2, employing ethanol and methanol as co-solvents, Ind Crops Prod, 43: 490–495.
- Preuss, HG., Bagchi, D., Bagchi, M., (2002). Protective effects of a novel niacin-bound chromium complex and a grape seed proanthocyanidin extract on advancing age and various aspects of syndrome X, Ann N Y Acad Sci, 957: 250-9.
- Raina, K., Singh, R.P., Agarwal, R., and Agarwal, C., (2007). Oral grape seed extract inhibits prostate tumor growth and progression in TRAMP mice. Cancer Res 67: 5976-5982.
- Ray, S., Bagchi, D., Lim, PM., Bagchi, M., Gross, SM., Kothari, SC., Preuss, HG., Stohs, SJ., (2001). Acute and long-term safety evaluation of a novel IH636 grape seed proanthocyanidin extract, Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol, 109:165-197.
- Reagor, L., Gusman, J., McCoy, L., Carino, E., Heggers JP., (2002). The effectiveness of processed grapefruit-seed extract as an antibacterial agent: I. An in vitro agar assay, J Altern Complement Med, 8: 325-332.
- Rohit, U., Ramalakshmi, K., Jagan, MRL., (2012). Microwave-assisted extraction of chlorogenic acids from green coffee beans, Food Chemistry, 130:184–188.
- Ruiz, RA., Fornari, T., Jaime, L., Vazquez, E., Amador, B., Ntonio, NJ., Yuste, M., Mercader, M., Reglero, G., (2012). Supercritical CO2 extraction applied toward the production of a functional beverage from wine, J Supercrit Fluids, 61:92–100.
- Satisha, J., Pooja Doshi, Pandurang Gundappa Adsule, (2008). Influence of Rootstocks on Changing the Pattern of Phenolic Compounds in Thompson Seedless Grapes and Its Relationship to the Incidence of Powdery Mildew, Turk J Agric For, 32: 1-9.
- Sato, M., Bagchi, D., Tosaki, A., Das, DK., (2001). Grape seed proanthocyanidin reduces cardiomyocyte apoptosis by inhibiting ischemia/reperfusion-induced activation of JNK-1 and C-JUN, Free Radic Biol Med, 31:729-737.
- Satpathy, G., Tyagi, YK.,Gupta, RK., (2011). A novel optimised and validated method for analysis of multi-residues of pesticides in fruits and vegetables by microwave assisted extraction (MAE)–dispersive solid-phase extraction (d- SPE)–retention time locked (RTL)–gas chromatography–mass spectrometry with Deconvolution reporting software (DRS), Food Chemistry, 127: 1300-1308.
- Setyaningsih, W., Palma, M., Barroso, CG., (2012). New microwave-assisted extraction method for melatonin determination in rice grains, Journal of Cereal Science, 56:340– 346.
- Shikhamany, SD., (2001). Chapter 5. Grape Production in India, Grape Production in the Asia-Pacific Region.Edited by Minas K. Papademetriou and Frank J, Dent. FAO July.
- Singh, RP., Tyagi, AK., Dhanalakshmi, S., Agarwal, R., Agarwal, C., (2004). Grape seed extract inhibits advanced human prostate tumor growth and angiogenesis and upregulates insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3, Int J Cancer, 108: 733–740.
- Sivaprakasapillai, B., Indika Edirisingheb, Jody Randolphc, Francene Steinbergc, Tissa Kappagodaa, (2009). Effect of grape seed extract on blood pressure in subjects with the metabolic syndrome, Metabolism Clinical and Experimental, xx:xxx–xxx.
- Somkuwar, RG., Ramteke, SD., (2008). Effect of shoot orientation on growth, biochemical changes and fruitfulness in Thompson seedless(Vitis vinifera L.,)grapes, Journal of Plant Sciences, 3:182-187.
- Soobrattee, MA., Neergheena, VS., Luximon-Rammaa, A., Aruomab, OI., Bahoruna, T., (2005). Phenolics as potential antioxidant therapeutic agents: Mechanism and actions, Mutation Research Fundamental and Molecular Mutagen, 579: 200–213.
- Tatke, P., Jaiswal, Y., (2011). An Overview of Microwave Assisted Extraction and its Applications in Herbal Drug Research, Research Journal of Medicinal Plant, 5: 21-31.
- Ugarte, RE., Feng, H., Martin, E., Cadwallader, R., Robinson, J., (2006). Inactivation of Echerichia coli in apple cider with power ultrasound, J of Food Science, 71:102-109.
- Van, OF., Goiris, K., De, RG., Aerts, G., De CL., (2012b). Production of novel varietal hop aromas by supercritical fluid extraction of hop pellets-Part 2: Preparation of single variety floral, citrus, and spicy hop oil essences by density programmed supercritical fluidextraction, J Supercrit Fluids, 71: 147–161.
- Van, OF., Goiris, K., De, RG., Aerts, G., De, CL., (2012a). Production of novel varietal hop aromas by supercritical fluid extraction of hop pellets-Part 1: Preparation of single variety total hop essential oils and polar hop essences, J Supercrit Fluids, 69:45–56.
- Veluri, R., Lingh, RPS., Liu, Z., Thompson, JA., Agarwal, R., Agarwal, C., (2006). Fractionation of grape seed extract and identification of gallic acid as one of the major active constituents causing growth inhibition and apoptotic death of DUI 45 human prostate carcinoma cells, Carcinogenesis, 27: 1445 – 1453.
- Wang, JG., Nishioka, T., Xia, B., Hidaka, A., Nishikawa, Y., Ge, LH., Kimura, M., (2002). An ultrastructural study on the effect of ipriflavone and calcitonin on debilitated mandibular condyle, J Kyushu Dent Soc, 56:187-200.
- Wilkowska, AM., Biziuk, M., (2010). Rapid method for the determination of organochlorine pesticides and PCBs in fish muscle samples by microwave-assisted extraction and analysis of extracts by GC-ECD., J AOAC Int, 93:1987-94.
- Winny, R., Valérie, O., (2012). Microwave-Assisted Extraction of Flavonoids: A Review, Food and Bioprocess Technology, 5: 409-424.
- Wren, AF., Cleary, M., Frantz, C., Melton, S., Norris, L., (2002). Ninety day oral toxicity study of a grape seed extract (IH636) in rats, J Agric Food Chem, 50:2180-2192.
- Xia, EQ., Deng, GF., Guo, YJ., Li, HB., 2010. Biological Activities of Polyphenols from Grapes, Int J Mol Sci, 11: 622–646.
- Xia, T., Shi, S., Wan, X., (2006). Impact of ultrasonic-assisted extraction on the chemical and sensory quality of tea infusion, Journal of Food Engineering, 74:557-560.
- Xiaohua, Y., Zhimin, X., Witoon, P., Joan, K., (2006). Improving extraction of lutein from egg yolk using an ultrasound- assisted solvent method, Journal of Food Science, 71: C239-C241.
- Ye, X., Krohn, RL., Liu, W., Joshi, SS., Kuszynski, CA., McGinn, TR., Bagchi, M., Preuss, HG., Stohs, SJ., Bagchi, D., (1999). The cytotoxic effects of a novel IH636 grape seed proanthocyanidin extract on cultured human cancer cells, Mol Cell Biochem, 196:99-108.
- Yimaz, Y., Toledo, RT., (2004) Major flavonoids in grape seeds and skins: antioxidant capacity of catechin, epicatechin, and gallic acid, J Agric Food Chem, 52: 255-260.
- Yong-Jin, C., Ji-Young, H., Hyang Sook, C., Sang Kook, L., Hye-Young, M., (2006). Ultrasonication-assisted extraction of resveratrol from grapes, Journal of Food Engineering, 77: 725–730.
- Yumiko Nakamura, Sumiko Tsuji, Yasuhide Tonogai, (2003). Analysis of Proanthocyanidins in Grape Seed Extracts, Health Foods, Journal of Health Science, 49: 45–54.
- Zarena, A.S., Sachindra, N.M. and Sankar, K.U., (2012).Optimisation of ethanol modified supercritical carbon dioxide on the extract yield and antioxidant activity from Garcinia mangostana L, Food Chem, 130: 203–208.
- Zhao, S., Kwok, KC., Liang, H., (2007). Investigation on ultrasound assisted extraction of saikosaponins from Radix Bupleuri, Separation and Purification Technology, 55: 307- 312.
- Zuknik, MH., Norulaini, NAN., Omar, AK M., (2012). Supercritical carbon dioxide extraction of lycopene: A review, J Food Eng, 112: 253–262.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.